DECAY: Crack: Mission 1

[Westlands | Coast | Greater Wind Country]
From the eastern desert plains, to the infamous Westlands and the southern coast with its neighboring islands, the Wind Country covers an array of changing landscapes and other settlements. The people who live there are as diverse and powerful as the lands they live on.

DECAY: Crack: Mission 1

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 pm

[OOC]

Mission description for review: post98277.html

Participants
Knyves
Akane
Clover
Art

Enjoy.
Tsuneo
Old Man

Re: DECAY: Crack: Mission 1

PostPosted by Knyves » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Sand sand sand. More sand. But it was home, and Mokuteki liked home. Or rather, home was interesting, so it held his attention. Lots of sand, yet life abounded. The people had managed to overcome the lack of vegetables and herbs and now they survived. Amazing really, the stubborness of people. They could have just moved, left the village as a ghost town, and found a place where life was more simple. Easier. But no, this was home, so they stayed.

Mokuteki himself wore loose dark clothing, his long brown bangs drifting in a slight wind. Blue eyes pierced the particles of grit that drifted through the air, looking for any disturbances. Disturbances. Like a prison camp. That was the goal of the day. Find prisoners, free prisoners. Dispose of their captors. Perhaps that was why the people of Suna survived so well. They looked out for one another. Today for instance. Mokuteki was working alongside other shinobi to accomplish this goal. Lazily drawing a kunai from his holster, Moku twirled it absentmindedly. It would be the first of his tools to find a man's throat today. Curious design, kunai. The ring for drawing, but it probably produced slight amounts of drag on the otherwise aero-dynamic tool as it flew through the air. A shuriken on the other hand, flat and spinning, could slice between the air itself, allowing for greater speed. But that same rotation, which gave it greater tearing and cutting ability on the surface, didn't allow for the piercing ability that a long slender blade such as the kunai offered. An interesting conundrum, a trade off of advantages and disadvantages.

"Well. I'm a puppeteer, but I guess you fellas already know that. Name's Mokuteki." Of course, they already knew that, considering he was currently riding a puppet. Hitokage, his salamander, his mount. Some had horses, others had feet, Mokuteki had Hitokage. A large wide thing, with an enormous had and a built in saddle. He operated Hitokage with one hand, while his free one examined the kunai, invisible chakra strings attached to the workings and gears of the puppet.
Knyves
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Kobayashi_Akane » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:17 am

OOC: Okay People, let's get this things motoring!

It was dank, which was surprising for the desert. The cell was dug in to the ground, deep enough that one couldn't jump up to reach the bars at the top and only so wide as to uncomfortably fit ten people together. It reeked of mold and something fouler yet. Osamu wasn't exactly sure what it was. He'd been in here for a week-two maybe-but he'd lost track of time for the most part. His meeting with the commander of the bandits hadn't gone well, as anyone who knew his situation could have guessed. It might have gone worse though, had the man not been benevolent. Pretty damn uncharacteristic of a bandit, but I won't complain... Being trapped in a cell was at least better than being dead. Though the prison's guards hadn't forced him in to some kind of inmate's clothing, they had taken away his weapons. That only made sense though, and Osamu fully expected it, considering the situation. He still had an ace up his sleeve though. They weren't aware of his ninja abilities. It was a surprise he'd have to spring at the right moment though, when the guards were busy dealing with something else. He needed a commotion, something to set them in to a panic. He suspected he might be getting that soon.

The prison was a makeshift one, put together for the sole purpose of keeping all of the captured refugees resulting from the bandit attacks in one place. Osamu wasn't entirely sure if the bandits were running the camp, but they definitely knew about it. He sat in a corner, scratching at his beard. He had been unable to sleep for the last three days and his eyes were bloodshot. He wasn't willing to risk missing his opportunity to escape, but if he kept on like this much longer he wouldn't be able to take it when it came. It was the middle of the night, and all but two of the refugees in the cell were awake as well. There was a woman crying in the corner, supposedly widowed, who regularly lashed out viciously at everyone in the cell. The three young children in the cell had made fast friends, and were likely unaware of the seriousness of the situation, spending most of their time awake playing. Every now again one of them would start to cry. The reasons weren't precisely obvious, though it was probably that they realized every now and again they weren't in a good place. Two of the other refugees, both women, usually kept a watchful over the kids, stepping in whenever one started to bawl. They were both fairly husky and had similarities about them. Osamu had figured they were siblings. Then there was the couple that was currently sleeping. The pair couldn't keep their bodies away from one another, despite the situation. At least they were willing to wait till the kids fell asleep. Lastly, the only man awake besides Osamu, currently sat opposite of him. He'd managed to sneak a deck of cards in with him, and they played regularly. Not that there was much to bet, it was just something to pass the time.

Osamu laid down his hand. In a moment, so too did the other man. Osamu swore under his breath. "You damned cheat! You had the same damn hand two games ago!"

"I do?" The man leaned in, peering at the hand a moment. "Ah! So I do! Well, at least we're not playing for money."

Osamu scowled. "I swear that's the only reason I keep playing with you." Osamu picked up the cards and put them in to the deck, shuffling it quickly. "I've only won two games and that's because you put the wrong card up your sleeve or wherever you hide them."

The man chuckled a moment before turning his attention to the dealing of the deck. About midway through laying the cards down a shout came from above. A mid-sized bucket of lukewarm stew was lowered down. A smug guard peered down at them through the currently open bars of the cell. Enjoy your slop! He laughed at his own joke and walked off, the cell gate closing shortly thereafter.

Osamu had gripped the bolt-the one thing he'd managed to sneak past the guards-the entire time, but no opportunity arose. He'd planned carefully what he would do when the time came, but for now he was more concerned with eating. The kids were fed first, then the two women who looked after them. After that, both Osamu and the man he'd been playing cards with took their servings. The couple was then woken up to have their food and they promptly returned to their corner and fell back asleep. Lastly was the woman in the corner. It was Osamu's turn to give her what was left of the food. Sighing in dismay, he got up and took the pale over.

Her head swung up to regard him when he approached, her eyes redder than his. "Oh! How nice of you to consider me last! Perhaps I would like to eat a little, hm? Why should you all get to stuff your over sized mouths before me, and those bug-eyed little children first of all people! You've got some nerve I swear!"

Osamu stared disdainfully at the women, considering kicking her jaw in just to shut her up, and by all means he would've if the kids weren't awake. She opened her mouth to begin on another tangent, but before she could speak Osamu had turned the pale in his hands and poured the sludge in to her mouth. It remained agape in shock. Without another look at the women Osamu turned and walked off, tossing the bucket to the side and returning to his seat. The women followed him with her eyes, a mix between outrage and horror in them, before breaking out in another bout of crying. Not one person reprimanded him for what he did, though the children stared at him confusedly. They resumed playing in a moment, and Osamu finished dealing the deck.

Something needs to happen... soon.

OOC: Just in case it wasn't clear, Osamu is currently being held prisoner in the camp with the refugees.

Kobayashi_Akane
Master of Chaos

PostPosted by Clover » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Ko shivered uncomfortably in the dry desert heat. She was starting to get nervous, she knew that. The recent events unfolding had given her a chance to prove herself, motivation to get stronger, but... the niggling feeling in the back of her brain was that she wasn't ready.

She set her jaw and told that niggling voice that it was full of shit.

The lack of variety in the current setup was covered by the fact that they, being puppetteers, knew how to handle large numbers and had a variety of ways to attack. She was quite sure that it was only half coincidence that they'd been lumped together. It was sound enough... Suna could only spread itself so far, and in the flurry the refugees recieved the short end of the stick.

"Well. I'm a puppeteer, but I guess you fellas already know that. Name's Mokuteki."

"I respect your attempt to make idle conversation, but now is hardly the time. Shisubeki Ko," she said curtly in response, crossing her arms and shooting him a cool look. The group had been oddly quiet leaving the village - from what Ko had heard of their other teammate, they should have grown at least fifteen levels in idle conversation. Mokuteki was odd as well. Not bad-looking, but seemed to pay more attention to his puppets...

Nope. Shinobi thinking, not home thinking. Line in the sand... She unconsciously fiddled with Yaen's hand. The monkey puppet hung limply from her upper back, lower limbs trailing in the sand whenever she started to slouth.

"Anyways, we should be about three hours. Half an hour and we'll start drawing up a formal plan. No objections?"
Clover
RAW LIGHTNING

PostPosted by Art » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Rei Sighed a happy sigh!
This was not like her other missions- oh no not at all!
For starters on this one she wasn’t a ‘ninja’ on this one- she was a volunteer- a helpful citizen who agreed to help feed and take care of refuges!
And by being a citizen she didn’t have to put on her ridiculous ninja outfit and assume the role of ‘Rei-Atsu’ the androgynous lady ninja pretending to be a man!

Nope not this time!!!!!!
This time she got to be lovable, klutzy, wanna-be pastry chef Rei.
It was nice to be herself for a change… She was thankful to leave her heavy clunky armor at home, walking in the desert in hot heavy sweaty armor was just uncomfortable and it was beginning to make her skin breakout.

Being Rei meant she got to wear cloths that fit, and that were light and airy, the breeze that sifted through her hair felt refreshing too!
Rei listened to the conversation around her.

"Well. I'm a puppeteer, but I guess you fellas already know that. Name's Mokuteki."

"I respect your attempt to make idle conversation, but now is hardly the time. Shisubeki Ko,"

Rei happened to like the fact that he tried making conversation. She thought it was rude that the other girl shot him down rather quickly.
Maybe it was her own insecurities but she couldn’t help but focus on the other girl. She was pretty all right, and from what Rei could tell fairly confident too. She was probably the type of girl that all the guys had crushes on, but she wouldn’t even give them the time of day.

Rei was already envious of her and she had no clue who she was. Rei with her mousy brown hair and her average plan looks…. Gah she would never get a boyfriend!!!

She cleared her throat before joining the conversation.
“I happen to find that really interesting” she said rather meekly.
“Im not a ninja or anything... But ive dabbled in puppetry myself too. Ya’know putting on little Kabuki plays for my parents and what not” her voice was kind polite and slightly squeaky.

Oh it was nice not trying to sound like a boy for a change
“Puppetry is quite a difficult art in my opinion” she said sped up a little bit to catch up to the group.
“Oh ya I almost for got, My name is Akamatsu, Rei” She said with a smile.

“Im here to help feed everyone we meet along the way! So if you guys get hungry or anything just let me know and ill whip you up something tasty to eat!” she said with a nod.

Little did they know she wasn’t a very good cook at all! She practiced long and hard the last few weeks to make her food at least editable!

Well they were dealing with refugees… I mean they would should be happy to eat anything home cooked! Right?
Art
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Knyves » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:36 pm

Mokuteki pressed his lips together, a frown creasing his face at the display of rude demeanor from his shinobi companion. Of course, the odds were that her mind was simply preoccupied with other things, like the lives of dozens that hung on their actions. But still, Mokuteki wasn't simply making idle chitchat. The more he understood his comrades, the better he could fill in for their weaknesses and embellish their strengths when they were in the heat of combat. As they spoke, those piercing blue orbs of his scanned the two who were speaking.

"Anyways, we should be about three hours. Half an hour and we'll start drawing up a formal plan. No objections?" White hair, yellow eyes. She was attractive, but again, far too serious for her own good. The subconscious fiddling of her hand with the puppet didn't go unnoticed. Probably just an outward manifestation of inward anxiety over the mission. Perhaps something else. A sign of weakness or lack of confidence perhaps? Either way, it was a puppet, which indicated a likely specialty in mid-range combat, as well as a slightly more tactical mind. Perhaps that could use their superior numbers as an advantage in the battle to come.

“I happen to find that really interesting” She was kinder, but didn't have much to offer in the way of combat tells. A civilian cook. But, she was trying to make conversation which was something Moku could honor. Or, at least he thought he could, but she showed this rather odd knack for talking... and talking. And talking.. She was cute as well, with blond hair and large, luminous blue eyes, much like Moku's own, but without that discerning gleam. More like she was looking at the world in fresh, naive, clean views. Cute in her own way, but not as purely physically attractive as the other girl. All of these thoughts rattled through his mind like machine-gun fire as she prattled on about her life, puppet shows for family. Trying to butter him up, talking about the difficulties of puppetry and all that.

"A pleasure to meet you Rei-san. You as well Ko-chan." The titles weren't exactly intended to be rude to Ko, okay, well, maybe a little, but the majority was the difference between Rei's civilian status, and Ko being a fellow shinobi. Respect was deserved by the civilians, especially one willing to serve in such a menial way. Again, Suna was pulling together to survive...
Knyves
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Kobayashi_Akane » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:39 am

Osamu eyed his hand over. It wasn't a good hand, in fact he was certain it was probably the worst hand he could have possibly dealt himself. Sighing, he hung his head and tossed the cards down in front of him. The man across from him raised his brow. He reached down, grabbing the small pile of cards. He cringed after a brief moment of examination. "Oh my! I didn't even think it possible to get such a terrible hand! Quite the accomplishment!"

"Tch. I'd say you rigged that somehow if I wasn't the damn dealer this time." Osamu reached a hand up to his eyes, rubbing at them vigorously. When he stopped, he sighed at length. Osamu leaned up against the wall of the cell, pulling the bolt out. He rolled it around in his hands a few times, testing its weight. He wanted to make sure he was more than absolutely familiar with it. He could not afford to waste whatever chance he got. He almost dropped the bolt in to the ground at his feet when the man across from him grabbed his shoulder.

I am called Povard Rurvinand. You, friend?"

Now it was Osamu's turn to raise his brow. "Odd name, I'll give you that. You can call me Osamu."

Povard nodded. "Osamu it is then. Tell me friend-Osamu-just what is it you plan to do with that? Not to say that it could not be put to use at close range, but, we're in a cell in the ground. I'm not certain you're going to get that opportunity and I worry you're dragging yourself through the mud like this for nothing."

Osamu sighed. The man had been insisting he get some rest since the first day he abstained from it. He hadn't yet told the man of his abilities. Hell, he was the first person he'd even given his name to. He leaned in close to the man, explaining quietly what he intended to do so that none of the others would hear. The last thing he needed was them going in to a god damn panic. Well, specifically the woman in the corner. She'd shout it to the heavens in her madness and likely get Osamu killed.

The man nodded slowly. "I understand then... Friend, when the time comes, I'm with you."

Osamu nodded back at the man. "I can't promise you'll survive Povard, but I'll take what help I can."

"Pah! I've had callous disregard for my own life for longer than you could imagine! Shall I relate to you the time I felled twelve bandits and a horse drawn carriage in a single frontal assault, with naught but my bare hands?"

Osamu scoffed. Damn bastard had a strange sense of humour. "Fine then, let's hear it. I'm not getting anywhere losing to you at card games."

Povard began telling the tale, one Osamu was sure he'd told many times because his weaving of the tale was nearly perfect. He was actually being lulled in to a state of mind in which he could picture every scene as the man described it. He was so caught up in the story he didn't even notice himself falling slowly asleep, and before he knew it, he was at rest for the first time in several days.

-

Povard chuckled to himself at the form of his sleeping friend. "I'm amazed it worked on him! I didn't think I still had it in me." He gathered up the cards, stuffing them in to his pocket, before noting one of the two huskier women eying him with suspicion.

"How in hell did you manage that? Crazy fool's been up the entire time we been here and not one thing has put him close to sleep quick as that."

Povard shrugged. "What is there to say? He was tired, I suppose. I simply helped him along. You might say I'm a bard, yes I suppose that is accurate enough. My how the crowds used to gather for my performances! Would you care to hear the tale?"

The woman scowled, shaking her head and turning away from him without another word. Povard shrugged. "Ah, well then, suit yourself I suppose." Povard looked down at Osamu, laughing cheerily to himself, before lying down on the ground. "I'll follow suit, then.

He hummed a tune to himself for some time, and after a while, was fast asleep as well.

Kobayashi_Akane
Master of Chaos

PostPosted by Clover » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Blabbity blabbity blah.

Ko was in full-on business mode. She considered it as almost like an alternate personality - shinobi and person, two different people. It was a purely immaterial divide, though, and Ko had to actively resist engaging in idle chatter until she naturally zoned out. She knew vaguely that their third teammate was a civillian cook, but she didn't really find it necessary. The refugee camp wasn't far out from the small town where they'd meeten up a few hours previously, and she had had a good breakfast. Surely the refugees could... ugh, she didn't want to think about people wasting away in pits.

They hadn't been there too long, had they...?

Stop being so damn naive.

"A pleasure to meet you Rei-san. You as well Ko-chan."
"...Hrmph."

They'd just met... no need to be so personal... but there was no need to make enemies when they were just getting into the mission. The part of her that liked lying on her bed back in Sunagakure and wondering whether her wallpaper was in need of replacement desperately wanted to make friends with Rei. Eh, she was a shinobi, she could probably stalk the girl afterwards. If they survived...

Welcome back, shinobi Ko.

Ko kicked a nearby rock down a sand dune and huffed softly.

"Whatever. Let's start planning now. Any bright ideas? From the information I have there are about five to seven refugees there, with most of the guards having no shinobi abilities. It's a pretty big place, so it would be useless to attack overtly..."
Clover
RAW LIGHTNING

PostPosted by Art » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Rei blushed! A Shinobi boy just said her name! Rei couldn’t help but let a quick burst of giddy school girl laughter slip from her lips.
“Nice meeting you too, Mokuteki” she said still smiling.

Flirtation was flying though the air, at this rate it wouldn’t be long till the childish crushing banter would play out. Luckily for them Ko was there to dampen the mood, before it reverted to girls chasing the boys and the threat of cooties!

"Whatever. Let's start planning now. Any bright ideas? From the information I have there are about five to seven refugees there, with most of the guards having no shinobi abilities. It's a pretty big place, so it would be useless to attack overtly..."

With the state of things reverting back to normal Rei didn’t know if she was even allowed to join in on this debate, she was here as a civilian after all.
…would they even listen to her if she tried to participate?

She cleared her throat “Umm So that means having Mokuteki break down the front door is out of the question?” her words were rushed, and sounded nervous “Cause, he appears to be quite muscular- I mean he could do it too! I really think so”

Okay so he really wasn’t the most muscular guy she had seen but it wasn’t like he was a complete weakling…More so her plan was really just a way to impress Mokuteki.

Not stopping there her plan continued. “and Ko you could sneak in set free all the refugees free” she nodded several times “ and with everyone free…” her words got louder and louder “we will sit down and have a delicious bowl of bread pudding” pausing for a second, for dramatic effect “And! Everything will be right in the word and we will get hero medals and bread pudding will here by be known as the official dish of compassion and peace!” she huffed as she fanned at her hot face that was burning with passion.

She got carried away there…. Didn’t she? Maybe it would be beneficial to just listen for a while? … Yes that seemed like a good idea.
Art
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Knyves » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Oi, maybe he shouldn't have been so quick to speak so kindly to this girl. While he had no doubt that her bread pudding would be fantastic, it didn't seem like that would be the best plan. Putting his kunai away, Moku rubbed the back of his neck and let loose a nervous chuckle. "I don't think that'd be the greatest plan Rei-san, I'm a puppeteer, not much for strongman stuff. I think our best bet would be to move in quiet. We go in and take down only those who're necessary to get the refugees out. Once they're free, we can whip out the puppets and nuke the entire compound."

Ko didn't seem to be the kind of girl that wanted anything to do with her teammates, which normally would have been okay with Mokuteki, but Rei seemed to thrive on the conversation. Might be the nerves getting to her. But ultimately, though it was unspoken, they were to protect Rei. A handful of hostages, a grumpy shinobi partner, and a flirtatious cook. Not exactly a recipe for the best ending to a story. His mood was being rapidly sullied, so Mokuteki felt it was time to refocus. Okay, think positive. They were puppeteers, so they did have a slightly better numbers advantage...

"Do we have any idea on how many hostiles we're dealing with here Ko?" She seemed to be the one with the most information on the mission. The more they knew about their enemies, the better the plan they could construct. Information was life. Mokuteki understood that. He lived for knowledge. But, there was still the matter of Rei. "Excuse me, but I'm feeling a bit hungry, do you have anything that I could munch on while we plan?" Of course, he was hoping she didn't, that way, they could continue to work without having to worry or bother her. And without her getting in the way, but he didn't like thinking along those lines. Turning, just to show he was hungry, he smiled widely at her and then rubbed his free hand quite comically across his stomach. "If its not too much trouble of course!"
Knyves
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Kobayashi_Akane » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:06 am

Sudden cold flushed a fine point in his body, then it was replaced by a strange warmth. What finally brought him from the dreary, half-daze after waking, was the sharp pain that finally came. He was lying on his stomach, pinned by something. It was when he tried to move, to get up, that he realized his hands were also tied to his ankles. He couldn't really fight back at all. Twisting his head, he tried to see who was pinning him to the ground, but cringed at the twisting of something that had been jammed in to his shoulder. Whoever it was leaned in close, close enough that he could hear their damn breath. They loomed for a moment, simply breathing in Osamu's ear.

"Well, well~ look who's the one sitting helpless in a corner now!" Her voice was quiet, difficult to distinguish, but he could tell just who the hell was sitting on him.

The damn b*tch! How did she... shit! The [badword] quarrel! But then how did I... Povard... oh you [badword] bastard! For fsck sake! You couldn't have picked a worse fscking time to pull something like that.

Osamu tried to work his hands free from the cloth tying his arms and legs together, but he received another twist of the bolt for it. He winced, shifting a little, and forcing her to readjust her position quickly. She leaned in close once again, snickering like a demented horse. "I'm going to drag this out for as long as I can. Try to find a little joy in it, hm~ don't want you dying- leaving miserably~"

The woman was batshit insane. Not surprising, but not exactly comforting either considering the position he was in. She ripped the bolt from his back, twisting it the whole way, then stabbed him again, not more than half an inch over, closer to his spine. Osamu jerked at the puncture, biting in to the cloth. She waited in silence once he was done writhing, twisting the bolt now and again to make sure he was still alive, or just for her own pleasure. After what must have been nearly an hour, she finally sighed at length.

"Well, well, what a pity. You're not very entertaining~" She removed the bolt again, and began to snicker sardonically. Raising the bolt, she struck point on his back. He cringed yet again, but before he could even finish, she had removed it. Once again she stabbed, and then removed the bolt, this time somewhere else. She was snickering the entire time, but it quickly bolstered in to a full blown cackle. His back was beginning to go numb with pain, he thought, and that in of itself would be a relief, but if this kept up for much longer he'd die. They wounds may not have been deep enough to hit anything critically vital, but Osamu wasn't entirely keen on the idea of being full of holes either.

Just as her laughter was reaching what seemed to be its climax, there was a loud noise, the clang of weak metal against something hard. Were he not swimming in pain, he might have noticed that the god damn witch's laughter had stopped, and that her body had gone limp, falling off of his. The pain had fallen off just enough for him to feel his limbs being untied, but the rest of his senses quickly fell off with them. He dropped in to darkness.

-

The man stroked his thick, pointed beard as he examined the various patients in his small tent. This was, or at least what qualified for, the prison's 'hospital'. It couldn't really be called that though, now could it? The lack of supplies, well, sanitary ones at any rate, and really any effective equipment left things completely to his skill. He wasn't very skilled, as one could discern from the multiple corpses that lay on what few beds the tent possessed. It wasn't that he hadn't tried, it was that he was simply a novice, and their wounds were far too grave for his level of ability. It was not as though the many guards this large prison camp contained really cared. In fact, he was quite convinced they had, on multiple occasions, given the wounded a push across the final boundary.

Despite all these excellent reasons for not having this station set up, whoever the commander of this prison camp was insisted it remain standing. He didn't care much for the reasons anyways. At least he was trying to do some good, not that it amounted to much.

A guard stepped in to the tent and walked towards him, stopping just of arm's reach. A look of marked scorn on his face, he reached up and scratched the edges of a hole that should have contained an eye. One of Michi's more... successful operations, if success were wielded as a loose term. The doctor stared at the man and he wasted no time speaking.

"Two of 'em. One's s'already dead, so at least you can only screw this s'up once."

He raised his eyebrow quizzically, gesturing at the man standing before him. "You're a fine example of my innate ability to find ways of botching simple operations, multiple times, and in the most bizarre ways."

The guard looked at his hand, and all three of the digits that remained, then reached up at his face once again, this time scratching a mottled network of scars on his cheek. "I suppose s'you got a bit of a point there. Can't figure why they got you doing this s'Michi, you're just straight terrible at it."

Michi shrugged casually, and gestured toward the flap of the tent. The guard turned and walked out, Michi right on his heels. They strolled past a few rows of similar pits, some of them silent, some of them pitching raw sorrow in to the air about the camp. He'd come to easily ignore the vast majority of it, though every once and again, a shriek would stir something up his spine and leave him unsettled for most of the day. This wasn't one of those days thankfully, as he usually didn't come close to success on them.

They had finally come to the hole where the incident occurred. Two limp forms were in the process of being lifted out. The entirety of it would likely take an hour, the guards were far more cautious than necessity demanded. He quickly surveyed the two bodies. One, which appeared unscathed at a distance, and the other, whose back was full of holes. The former, then, is the one I'm operating on, I suppose.

He returned at leisure to the tent, knowing full well that both bodies would be delivered when the guards were finished. By then, he might not have anything to operate on depending upon their mood. He shrugged, reaching the tent, and stepping inside.

At least he was trying to do something.

Kobayashi_Akane
Master of Chaos

PostPosted by Kobayashi_Akane » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:15 am

OOC: Commandeering Clover's character.

Ko stood with her arms crossed. There was a moment of silence, and then the chatty civilian girl spoke up.

“Umm So that means having Mokuteki break down the front door is out of the question?”

The suggestion left Ko speechless, or was dumbfounded the better word? She simply zoned out from the rest of what the girl had to say, considering for a moment how little thought must have been put in to the suggestion. The girl was nice, maybe just a little too nice, and some part of her was attracted to that.

In honesty, Mokuteki didn't look half bad, but it was clear he was by no means a rippling fortress of muscles. She found herself dwelling on that image for a little longer than she liked, and quickly pushed it away.

Well the girl was a civilian, and a swooning one no less. There was, Ko supposed, some validity to her idea, were Mokuteki the kind of person that could do that.

Reaching up and rubbing at her eyes, she waited as Mokuteki finished speaking.

"Once they're free, we can whip out the puppets and nuke the entire compound."

It sounded like a great idea, except that Ko's only puppet, Yaen, wasn't precisely designed to do that kind of damage. She wasn't sure about Mokuteki's arsenal, however.

"Do we have any idea on how many hostiles we're dealing with here Ko?"

She opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by Mokuteki turning away to ask for food. He did it almost comically. Almost.

Messing around with Yaen's hand for a moment, she began to speak. "Twenty at the very least, but most likely more than that." She ceased her fiddling. "I'm more concerned about how we're going to attack. I can lay out a smokescreen and run interference. I'm not sure about your own abilities, but from what I understand the prisoners are being kept in pits. I might be more suited to getting them out." She stretched a moment, then gestured at Mokuteki. "Of course, this all depends on what you have in your own arsenal.

Looking up, it was beginning to get dark. They'd need to move out soon, and they'd need to move quickly. "At any rate, we need to leave right away. The sooner we get there the better."

Well, Ko thought, at least the sooner they got there the less time people would have to suffer for. Part of her hoped they could save all of them, but she knew that was only going to hurt her in the end. She pushed the notion away, for her own sake.
Kobayashi_Akane
Master of Chaos

PostPosted by Art » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 pm

“Oh”
Denial.
It hurt.

Her face scrunched up like she was eating something sour. The face of concerned lingered while she took a moment to re evaluate her plan.

Looking back on her self proclaimed imperious grand plan ‘option A’…. Her plan, It did seem ridiculous and a bit childish. But something deep down, a nagging feeling surfaced, and confirmed that her travel companions while strong and smart, didn’t get her… She could already tell that she fell below their expectation, that they under estimate her, her ability and the ‘true’ power of a home cooked meal…

‘Cause the sweetest desert can even calm the most awful of children… and aren’t bad guys just over grown children?

Shaking her head, she threw her self out of her mental phunk. Her light brown hair tossing from side to side in the arid wind, as a smiled appeared on her once solemn face… “I Love cooking!” her voice was shrill almost sounding like a dyeing rodent, but it really was a tone of excitement.

Taking of her focus of the group for a moment Rei began her preparing a wonderful snack for her new friend. She rummaged threw her bag as she began pulling out a plethora of items and began cutting beating and smashing.

It was like she was in her own little word… A world that she loved… Looking over her shoulder she wanted to catch a glimpse of Mokuteki, maybe she could figure out if he was the type of guy who enjoyed sweet? Spicy?… or both?

As her head came to its full rotation as Mokuteki fell into her gaze…. Oh yeah Ko was there too! Taking a moment to figure out the type of snack he would like best Rei couldn’t help but over hear their conversation.

"Of course, this all depends on what you have in your own arsenal.

A quick look of shock appeared on her face as she quickly turned around, like she witnessed something she shouldn’t have. Her look of surprise soon shifted to a frumpy grumpy face as she began jamming random ingredients on a slice of old flattened bread.

She couldn’t believe it!!!! The Nerve of that boy!!!! Okay yeah her battle plans might suck, but she was still a shinobi (oh… but they didn’t know that)… Still it didn’t matter! If they wanted her to leave the conversation all they needed to do was ask, Instead of tricking her and [b]pretending[/b[ to be interesting in her cooking.
She huffed like a raging bull as all the hot hair escaped from her nose as she violently rolled the mysterious treat into a log.

“I hope he likes ‘rich’ stuff” she whispered to herself as her face slowly faded into her normal happy self.

She quickly rejoined the other ninja “here ya go! ^-^” she sang happily handing Mokuteki the mystery snack!

While she felt deliberately excluded from the tactical conversation, she decided not to let them win and would participate anyways.

“So what exactly is in this arsenal?” she questioned sweetly…. Maybe even alittle too sweetly…

Still she waited for Mokuteki to take the first bite of his rollup before she would reveal the delicacies that lied within.

“Do you like it? Its Durian, Pickled Scallop and Sweet Cream Roll-up?

Rei smiled innocently…. It was a disastrous…Stinky! recipe! But Mokuteki needed to understand the power of a home cooked meal! It is only when you have experienced the wrath of ‘mother’ before you can understand its power!

“Tasty Yeah? Make sure to eat every bite! Cause if you don’t it will make me sad D:”

She tilted her head to the side with her hands folded in her lap watching as Mokuteki would have to eat every single bite…
Art
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Knyves » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:28 am

Note to self: Next technique to find, one that can shut off the tastebuds. Or a cyanide capsul should anyone ever try to force such grub on him again. Still, he grimaced as his teeth sliced through the rolled up food stuffs. It was, in a word, unbearable. And yet, he bore it, doing his best to cover up the unmistakable grimace with a gagging smile. "Hrm, mankoo!" Which roughly translated to: "Umm, thank you!" Reaching for a bottle of water, Moku washed that first single bite from his mouth before responding to Ko's question. "I deal in combat puppets. I've got Hitokage for large scale destruction, and Kagemusha, my Shadow Warrior, for high-speed, close combat. You probably will be better in the pits, while I engage any that try to attack. I think I can keep a good section of the enemy engaged, which'll give you a chance to spring prisoners, kinda like a decoy." Yeah, he'd rambled on a bit, but it was certainly better to appear chatty and rude, rather than take another bite of that... food wasn't quite the appropriate term.

Taimaru was not having a pleasant day. Guard duty was a pain in the rear. They were in the middle of the friggin' desert! Who in their right mind was gonna come trotting out here to save a bunch of lousy civilians!? Sucking down the dregs of his bottle, he pitched the empty alcohol container with full force out into the sands, turning away to return to his tent. What a waste of time, all this meaningless watch-dogging. Clank! Taimaru spun, a sword appearing in his hand from where it had lain sheathed at his feet. There, on the sands in the distance, where he had pitched his empty bottle, stood a figure. Or rather sat. Mounted atop a strange, low, wide creature, a single humanoid figure loomed. Taimaru was about to raise a cry of alarm, but the five kunai hitting him full in the chest effectively silenced him. Permanently. Hitokage opened its mouth, spewing small spheres out toward the small village. The spheres burst, releasing a thick smoke. The prison camp was under attack. This would be Ko's distraction. No poisonous smoke, as he didn't want to hurt the civilians, though it would have definitely helped him handle the enemies. Oh well, this would work just as well.
Knyves
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Kobayashi_Akane » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:16 pm

It'd taken twice as long as he had originally believed to receive them. The guards wheeled the two in, sheets draped over their forms. Michi rose and picked the cloth from the first stretcher. The woman looked older - more frail than she ought to.

Not wasting time, Michi set to work on her unconscious form. He stripped her of her garments, taking his time with the process. When she was fully disrobed, he began to probe meekly about her body. The time whittled away as he scanned her over, prodding where he felt it necessary. At long last, he shuddered briefly, then, after pausing a moment, stepped away from her.

He'd not been able to find what was wrong with her, and the notion that he would fail to save another patient without even knowing what ailed them had shaken him. He'd ceased his examination for the time being, seeking something to refresh himself. Retrieving the flask from his desk, he put back several swigs, gasping as he finished. Michi wiped at his mouth gruffly, tossing the drink haphazardly.

It took a moment, but Michi finally realized that he hadn't heard the bottle break.

-

He'd taken twice as long as he'd planned, having found a rather comfortable patch of dirt, but finally the finished product lay in his lap. He could practically worship it in all its utter completeness, and he would, had he not made better from worse! Alas, the two stringed instrument would have to do, major tuning issues aside. He'd promised his help, and though he was not in the best place to give it, he would do his utmost.

I'll catch the fiends unawares! And lo' shall they behold my mighty wrath, for I choose not to exercise the vast oceans of mercy that sway within my soul. Pray for my disregard, callous knaves!

-

Their cook had taken twice as long as Ko would've figured, to make a snack. It became sadly apparent, as Mokuteki choked down the first bite of the wrap, that their cook had some... issues. Masking her pity for Mokuteki, she shot Rei an apprehensive glance. The girl's spite was uncalled for, not to mention actually gave the impression that she was a terrible cook. Food, however, was the least of her current concerns. The more and more she thought about the refugees' conditions, the more and more her stomach began to churn.

She'd mostly ignored what Mokuteki said, though hid it. Her question had been pointless in retrospect. He never would have suggested 'nuking' the place if he didn't have the kind of fire power to back it up. She was being typically over-analytical, but that was what kept a puppeteer alive, wasn't it? She hoped so, because if not, she didn't have much else going for her.

Wasting no further time, they packed up and set out, Mokuteki taking the lead.

-

Osamu had probably been out for twice as long as he thought, but it wasn't the first damn thing on his mind right now. The biggest issue was the searing pain at his back. Sweeping whatever clouded his vision away, the memories came back rapidly. Right, that god forsaken bitch had gotten a hold of him while he was asleep. He craned his head around to view the surroundings. A tent, or something like that, but he wasn't underground.

His eyes settled on a man draining a flask. A moment later it had been flung in Osamu's direction. He was pained, but not enough to stop him from catching it. He swallowed what was left in the flask, and nearly spit it back out. It was piss warm, which figured, seeing as they were in a damn desert. "Shit, least you could do is refrigerate this crap." Osamu eyed the bottle over, still lying on his back, and tossed it casually to the side. He looked back over to the man. "So who the hell're you?"

The man looked at him, then over to something out of Osamu’s vision. Then back at him again. He barked a laugh, surprisingly. Osamu raised an eyebrow. "Pardon my curiousity - sitting here full of goddamn holes and what not - but what the hell is so funny?"

The man approached, wiping away a tear. "Not so much funny as it is relieving, I suppose. HA! Imagine that! Fits me perfectly though doesn't it?"

Osamu's brow remained lifted as the man rolled him over. "Ah yes, I suppose they don't tell the prisoners things like that, no." He pulled Osamu's shirt off. "You see, I am this... facility's doctor. It's my job to patch up the injured. Believe me when I say you're lucky to have something that needs nothing more than stitches and bandaging."

"Why would I be lucky to have a dozen damn holes in my back?"

"A good question indeed. You're not so lucky for that, no, not at all, but you're lucky in that it's not something requiring, how shall I put it... skill? I do what I can, but quite frankly, I can do very little."

Osamu grimaced, but could do little to complain. The man was clumsy and inefficient, but eventually got the job done. Wincing, Osamu sat up for the first time since he'd fallen asleep.

"Good to see you're not trying to outperform a rainbow. I'll go inform the guards of your recovery and have you returned to your cell." Sudden awareness seized Osamu as the man turned. His chance was now. He quickly found the bolt tucked away in his pants. Povard must have done him the favour of returning it before they took him. He grabbed the man, pressing the quarrel in to his back.

"'fraid I can't let you do that. Nothing personal, and you have my thanks for patching me up, but I'm not going to rot in a goddamn hole for any longer. Now first things fir-" Osamu almost hadn't seen the thrust coming in time to duck under it.

Pushing the doctor away, he leapt to the source of the blade. He brought his hand up, grabbing the man's extended arm and stabbed him low in the gut. He lurched, and Osamu stabbed him twice more to ensure he was dead. He wasted little time stripping the man's armour and donning it for himself, pausing only to examine the several strange disfigurations of his body.

Leaving the body on the bed he'd occupied not long ago, a quick survey of the room found the inept doctor huddling in a corner. Osamu hefted him up by his collar. "You're showing me where they put our goddamn stuff, understand? Act natural and I don't kill your sorry ass." He rose, quickly regaining his composure, and lead the way.

-

He couldn't help but dismay that one of his few successes had been slaughtered, but then, it was more a blow to his ego than anything else. Striding nonchalantly along the rows of pits, Michi led the man to the tent where whatever contraband the refugees possessed was thrown.

Strangely, this was the first time he'd ever actually contemplated the number of refugees being held here. It must be nearly 200, if not more, though the guard force was less than half of that. It mattered not, however. The failsafe set up in the event of an attempted liberation would deal with any problems, callous as it were. All they had to do was burn a cell's door, and thus its roof, and anything within would have only a slightly greater chance of surviving one of his own operations.

Finally, they arrived at the tent, the man stepping inside ahead of him. There was a very brief shout, cut off by a sword coming through the tent. The man found his weapons swiftly, as very few of the refugees had contraband to begin with. "I assume then, now that you have what you want, you'll be doing away wi-"

A small explosion echoed, and an alarm blared out suddenly.

-

No sooner than Ko had crossed the threshold of the camp, than an alarm had been raised. They’d responded to the assault Mokuteki had begun quicker than Ko had thought they would. Finding a hiding place, she took quick observation. She needed to know where all the pits were so that she could... there... there were far more pits than she could've imagined! This was... she had known that... but this...

She shook herself, both mentally and physically. There was no chance of saving all of them, not even a chance of saving half of them, and she knew she was going to have to live with that. Not wasting any time, she twitched a finger and Yaen immediately fired one of the smoke bombs kept in its limb compartments. The bomb gave her the cover she needed to move up to the first few pits, without being seen from elsewhere. She took nearly a minute to find the first cell.

What she arrived to was a burning chunk of wood, what passed for the cell's overhead door. A knot formed in her stomach, knowing full well everyone in that pit was dead, and it occurred to her at last, that they were screaming. No, it wasn’t just them. The screams were coming from all around her. It was too much, she could feel the knot rising.

She tossed up what little she had eaten earlier in the day then and there. She'd expected it to be bad, but this? Whose mind could hope to expect this, or stomach it, for that matter? She'd have stood there, shocked, much longer, had another batch of screams not stirred her. The voices of children were audible. She felt sickened further, and yet a part of her forced her upright. She would find those responsible; she would confront them; she would show them no mercy.

She charged carelessly from the cover of the smoke and in to a sea of flame. They'd set fire to nearly every cell, and there was nothing she could do for those who were trapped beneath those raging infernos. Despair would've taken her again, had she not caught a small gathering of guards in front of a single cell. A single unlit cell.

A spark of desperation took her suddenly, and she whipped her arms in their direction, Yaen dancing over the flames and in to their midst. Strangely, the guards offered no resistance. She rushed to the scene, and as she approached, found she could hear something over the carnage. It was... music. She slowed, approaching the hole cautiously.

Ko peered over the edge, and found herself struck still. A strange fascination had taken her, leaving her staring blankly downward. It was as though she had been overcome by a strange bliss, a sense of wholeness that she wanted to welcome, but felt obliged to push away. The music started to fade, and with it, the feelings. She almost tried to jump in after them, but snapped herself to reason.

No longer distracted, she surveyed the scene below.

-

He hadn’t been sure how much longer he could’ve kept up, so he was of course relieved when the guards, hovering over the cell, had fallen to some outside source. He didn’t think the prison camp’s guards would be so inhuman as to unleash such a maelstrom, but Povard had his own ace. As he had said, a bard was only a mostly accurate description of himself. Wait, had he said that? No matter.

Still wary, he’d kept playing. He ceased his song soon after the girl stepped in to view. She was clearly a Suna operative, the headband was indication enough.

”Hail, kunoichi! It would appear our saviour has arrived! Ah, and on that note, have you any rope? I wouldn’t normally need such a thing – I’ve scaled far greater walls in the past – but, alas, my hands are calloused from all the playing, you see.”

The girl stared down at him in a mix of shock and disbelief. Nodding apprehensively, sharpness quickly took her features. ”Right, well, I’ve got better than rope.” She certainly did, the monkey-puppet-thing descending in to their midst. The girl was forced to work hard, her hands in constant motion, but in a very short time had removed them all from the pit.

He was the last to climb free from the wretched hole, and was caught with an unexpected surprise when he clambered over the edge. He could see Osamu making his approach, a figure tagging along behind him. Povard was almost not quick enough to react to the girl’s sudden movement, but blocked her with his arm just in time. ”Hold a moment! Though he may wear different garb, that is most unmistakably an ally!” She was hesitant at first, but relaxed with a sigh.

-

When the alarm had gone up, Osamu’s arm had followed suit, his crossbow now pointed at the doctor. ”This alarm, it means this shit hole’s under attack doesn’t it?” The doctor nodded. ”So what does that mean for the guards? What are they going to be doing, where are they going to be?” The man seemed to struggle with the thought, and after an episode of stuttering silently, forced the words out.

”W-well, from what I u-understand of the, uh, the protocol, for this situation, they...” He paused a moment, breathing deeply to regain his composure. ”They’re going to burn the cells, their doors rather. By now I imagine they’ve ignited most, if not all of them.”

Anger played across Osamu’s face, and his finger began to press down on the trigger. He stopped, after what felt like far too long, lowering the weapon. ”I’ll spare your sorry damn life, if only because you were at least trying to do some good.”

Osamu stepped past him, surveying the carnage. They’d done as the man had said, lighting the cell’s hatches on fire. The sea of flame obstructed his vision, but he could still make out figures in the direction of his cell. One stood out unmistakably, the cheeky bard.

As he approached, he finally caught a glimpse of what had gotten them out of the hole: A Suna shinobi, a puppeteer to be precise. Her gaze was a mixture of practiced indifference and shock. She’d probably never seen anything as devastating as this before.

-

Ko stared around her. This was it. This was the extent of what her powers could save. Ten people, ten [badword] people, out of how many? She could barely stomach the thought. They’d done all they could, and that was so dismally little, but all she could do now was extract the remaining refugees. The children would probably slow them down, but there wasn’t much to be do-

”AHH!”

Speaking of the children, Ko snapped her head in the direction of the scream. She’d found that, as well, she’d snapped her entire body to the child. Instinct wasn’t something a shinobi should ever utilize. It got them injured, or worse killed, and Ko now only began to understand what she had done.

She should’ve been more over-analytical.

She’d not been thorough enough in her execution of the guards, and had left one alive enough to find a crossbow and fire it at the nearest thing. That thing had been one of the three children, and she had, without a thought, stepped in front of it. She wasn’t sure, as she lay staring up at the sky, why she’d done it. She didn’t know the child at all, and yet she’d felt compelled in that moment to step in front of a loaded crossbow.

The refugees were standing over her now, clouding her vision of that massive sky. This was for the better, she decided. She didn’t want to get lost in the sky. She tried to speak, but choked on her own blood. Ko wasn’t sure why the sky was beginning to fade - beginning to blend with everything else, but found it strangely fascinating. It was as though she had been overcome by a strange bliss, and she welcomed that sense of wholeness with open arms.

Kobayashi_Akane
Master of Chaos

Next

Return to Wind Country