Story Shapes

Links to different translators, or other aids for the site will be posted here. Users can come in this board to create his or her own tutorial for the rest of the site to look at and critique!

Story Shapes

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Vonnegut on story shapes.

I've seen this before a few times, and I always like it, but this is the first video I've seen of the man explaining it. Very good advice for those of you trying to plan extended plots.

Tsuneo
Old Man

Re: Story Shapes

PostPosted by Spike » Fri May 27, 2011 7:00 pm

My plots are as vast and endless as the kegs I drink from.

That would be an appropriate description to use if I had any.

So, Tsu. Just where are my kegs? >:/

If you fall down seven times, stand up eight.
It isn't a matter of life or death, it's about what breaks first; your will or the barriers in your way.

Spike
The Daftpunk [Who the hell do you think I am?]

PostPosted by Physalis |0083| » Fri May 27, 2011 7:00 pm

And my women!?

Spoiler:
BECAUSE
I'M HAPPY

Tsuuki wrote:I took the Fluoxetine, not for the wounds but so I won't give a shit when I sneak past the person trapped in the car.

Since Youtube has so deemed it to be a travesty to host this video on it's site. I give you this link to enjoy this beautiful piece of artwork.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82733824/
http://gifsound.com/?gif=replygif.net/i ... CLoZ2Q&s=3
Physalis |0083|
▷0083◁
▷0083◁

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Fri May 27, 2011 7:04 pm

I think the English took them. >_>
All of them <_<
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Amamizu » Fri May 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Never seen this before, but it was good to watch and kind of brilliant when you think about it. Never thought about a sine and cosine curve could define a plot.

But the last one was kind of interesting. You got a rising steps out the dump, a sharp set back decline, and then e curve of slightly getting better. Beautiful curves around. :3

Active Character List

Sōjōbō: Profile - Jutsu - History
Amamizu
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Spike » Fri May 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Tsuneo wrote:I think the English took them. >_>
All of them <_<

I think the Queen is still visiting Ireland...

There shall be no mercy.

If you fall down seven times, stand up eight.
It isn't a matter of life or death, it's about what breaks first; your will or the barriers in your way.

Spike
The Daftpunk [Who the hell do you think I am?]

PostPosted by Oddric » Fri May 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Kinda interesting. Are there more videos of him on Youtube? I feel like I was getting the introduction to something a lot more in depth.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Seijitsu Kodani » Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Must say, he's got a simple theory. He got straight to the point and kept things interesting.
Thanks for sharing, Tsu.
[align=center]Image
Nyan
Seijitsu Kodani
Snow White Queen

PostPosted by V is for Vendetta » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:46 am

'Twas interesting, I dunno if I could use it to build an extended story line though. I'd be more inclined to use it as a method of figuring out how your character would respond to a given stimulus. For those that have been RPing longer will probably see greater uses with it then myself.

"In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst. In the name of the values that keep you alive, do not let your vision of man be distorted by the ugly, the cowardly, the mindless in those who have never achieved his title. Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours.”

V is for Vendetta

Return to The Classroom