The Duality Chronicles, Act 1 - Assessment — [Solo]

[Westlands | Coast | Greater Wind Country]
From the eastern desert plains, to the infamous Westlands and the southern coast with its neighboring islands, the Wind Country covers an array of changing landscapes and other settlements. The people who live there are as diverse and powerful as the lands they live on.

The Duality Chronicles, Act 1 - Assessment — [Solo]

PostPosted by Seishin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:19 am

The sands twisted in the wind over his face and gently fell. Sorata awoke from a daze to find that he was sprawled out in the middle of a barren desert. He could feel the pieces of grit caught in his mouth, finding enjoyment as he bit down and moved them across his teeth. The sun scorched his eyes, causing him to squint. Everything seemed brighter in the desert, like a landscape covered in snow. Only it was a lot more beige than white.

Something pulsed in his head, causing his neurons to ricochet. It was a voice, coming in through to him as clear as his own. “Continue on,” it commanded. “Who are you?” responded Sorata. No answer. He didn’t protest. While it was difficult at first to pick himself up from the ground, it was even harder to take his first steps. He wobbled forward, grabbing at the air for something that didn’t exist in order to balance him.

What’s wrong with me?” cried Sorata. “You’re dehydrated,” said the voice. “Keep going.

Sorata could feel his breathing becoming slightly more shallow. The sun rays glared down on his unprotected scalp. His lips were starting to dry out, causing each open-mouthed inhale to feel painful and raw. He tried to moisten them, but it only helped a bit. Most of the moisture in his body went to protecting his vitals; what he had left to give. It wasn’t much. Sorata had to feel in control, for his own sake. It helped compose him. He didn’t.

This is awful, voice…” he trembled, choking back his tears to keep the liquid in. “You’re a hallucination, aren’t you?

No answer.

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper: and every tongue that resisteth thee in judgment, thou shalt condemn. This is the inheritance of the servants of the Lord, and their justice with me, saith the Lord.
                —Jashin

S O R A T A
Killswitch Engage - This Fire Burns
This describes determination to succeed, and represents optimism in the face of his dark passengers.

A K A M A T S U
Disturbed - Into the Fire
It represents obsession to be with his sacrificial wife, and eventual pledge to Jashin in his rise to power.
Seishin
The Apex Predator

Re: The Duality Chronicles, Act 1 - Assessment — [Solo]

PostPosted by Seishin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:00 am

Sorata dropped to his knees, finally succumbing to the heat. His vision was blurry, which freaked him out. None of these symptoms had ever affected him before. At this point, he was wondering how painful and unpleasant his death might be. Would it come more peacefully over time? Or would he work himself into hysterics and die like a lunatic with no dignity? Heh… Dignity. As if such a thing could even exist in death. The process is always ugly.

He started slurring, trembling forward with an unsteady gait. “How could I be so stupid? Coming out here in a desert.” His head shook. “Wait, no. Did I come out here? How did I even get here? That makes no sense.” His eyes widened. “Oh god. There’s another symptom. Not making any sense. No sense.” Working himself into a panic, he started hyperventilating. “It’s… another one. Another. I am… so screwed!

The only person dying is me, of laughter. Seriously?

Voice?” His head careened straight. All of the symptoms were suddenly gone. “Where are you, voice? What is your purpose? Maybe you’re some kind of llama, or… Llama. Crocodiles do it too. Wait, what? What am I even talking…? No, well, animals do that? Some them have the brains power to spock. Speak. Spock.” His face contorted into a sneer and he threw his arm up in defeat. “This is just great. Crazy enough for an asylum, having hallucinations, and I can’t even spock right.” Twitch. “Speak… right. Correctly? Nah, too much ck sound.

Oh man. You’re having nominal aphasia too?

What the f.uck is nominal aphasia?

There’s nothing wrong with you. Move your ass.

With a sigh, Sorata picked himself back up and started walking again.

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper: and every tongue that resisteth thee in judgment, thou shalt condemn. This is the inheritance of the servants of the Lord, and their justice with me, saith the Lord.
                —Jashin

S O R A T A
This describes determination to succeed, and represents optimism in the face of his dark passengers.

A K A M A T S U
It represents obsession to be with his sacrificial wife, and eventual pledge to Jashin in his rise to power.
Seishin
The Apex Predator

PostPosted by Seishin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:29 am

You know, for a disemboweled voice, you sure are arrogant. It’s not cool.

You mean disembodied voice.

What are you talking about, ‘I mean?’ I know exactly what I meant.

You really are that ignorant, huh? No joke?

Stupid is as stupid does.

You don’t even know what THAT means.

Sorata stopped responding, sticking his chin up and turning his head away from an apparition of the man he was talking to that wasn’t actually there. After unzipping his collar to allow the breeze to blow down his shirt, his arms crossed. You might think that all of the wind could help matters, but when it came to Sungakure temperatures, there wasn’t much protection from the harsh humidity. It was very stifling and uncomfortable.

Did I hit a nerve?” the voice said, in a smarmy manner.

You shut up. We’re through talking.

You think deflecting the conversation and getting the last word puts you in control, but it actually doesn’t.

Shut your mouth!” He did think that was dumb, since the voice had no mouth.

… Or what?

Or…! Or… Ugh!” Sorata huffed, squinting his eyes. They burned from his perspiring forehead. Much like his anger. He kicked at the ground as he walked, causing a small amount of the sand to rise and fall. This caused him to get the granules caught in his sandals. It was tolerable at first, but the more he continued walking the more unbearable all of the clingy grains became. He brought a foot up, trying to pick them off.

I am sick of this stupid heat and sand! It’s ridiculous! Completely and utterly miserable and unlivable.

Heh. You know kid, I am starting to think that the sand is in more than your shoe.

He shook the sandal, hopping on one leg for equilibrium. “The hell is that supposed to mean? Idiot?

—Jashin

S O R A T A

A K A M A T S U
Seishin
The Apex Predator

PostPosted by Seishin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:35 am

At this point Sorata was trekking through the desert on his knees and fists, like a monkey. He patted his forehead into the sand in order to dry it. He shifted into a slack-jawed, scrunched expression. An onlooker might suspect Sorata had went off the deep end, especially if they happened to notice the “nngh… nngh… nngh” grunting. What was he doing anyway? Sorata clearly wanted an escape from Suna’s version of reality.

Pupils dilating, his face shifted to an angry expression. “We want death!” Fist pound into the sand. “We make death! March!” Double fist pound. Bending his back in, elbows and knees crooked, his body became positioned horizontally from where he… not exactly ‘stood,’ but that thing he was doing. Slumping. It became horizontal to that. “Liftoff!” Stretching out again, he propelled himself into an aerial flip. The dismount made him look like a frog.

He made a successful landing on all fours. It was hard to miss considering the large expanse of environment given to him. When Sorata did land, he twisted about and started punching at the ground once again, over and over. “I have you now! Scum! Political liars and thugs!” Sorata could hear music playing in his head as he did so. When the area of effect beneath him was sufficiently indented, he rose to his feet triumphantly. It felt heroic.

Thank you all. Tha- Thank you. I am not your hero. I am a citizen, like you!

What… in the hell… did you just do?” the voice chimed in.

Sweatdrop.

—Jashin

S O R A T A

A K A M A T S U
Seishin
The Apex Predator

PostPosted by Seishin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:57 am

Sorata continued. At that point he could hardly speak anymore, both verbally and mentally. He was becoming exhausted, reaching the brim of wanting to just call it quits and fall over dead. Way too tired to care about how long he had come, or the distance he had left to go. Several things passed through his mind, which rambled on and on to the voice that had addressed him. Among those were ‘water,’ ‘hot,’ and ‘tired,’ repeated as a mantra.

I can’t go on anymore, voice. Not kidding. There’s not enough stamina in me to go any farther.

He raised a sleeve to wipe his forehead. His expression was long, almost sorrowful. Pathetic. His eyes were drooping, dark circles forming under them. His skin was more pale than it had been, coupled with a harsh sunburn that caused his epidermis to start flaking. It was ironic, and almost tragically amusing, that the results of being under the sun gave him the exact opposite results that one would seek from a tanning bed.

Then lay over and die.

The words resonated with him. A slight depression now accompanied his anger, because he realized once again that the possibility of death was a very real one. There were mixed emotions involved, several of them overlapping the other from that simple statement, but Sorata didn’t have the brain power to register them fully. All he processed was rage. “What the f.uck is your problem? How does that encourage me or help me at all?

You might as well be dead if you can’t push yourself through this. Nature is not an opponent; it is an obstacle. You can overcome it. Everything so far has proved that. Never put limits on yourself. If you do, it will infect everything else about your life until you’re a miserable person. With you, and with me, there are no limits. Plateaus exist, but you must go beyond them. If you die, then die exceeding your plateau. Not by whining like a sniveling pansy.

Sorata became supercharged over the words. He respected them, but even so, it caused his anger level to rise like steam from a tea kettle. From that point on, he picked himself up and fought through the pain. He charged through the desert, pulling his feet from the thick sands every time and not allowing his aching calves and feet deter him from reaching his next goal. “God damn you,” he gasped out in a gruff hiss.

—Jashin

S O R A T A

A K A M A T S U
Seishin
The Apex Predator

PostPosted by Seishin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Hands reached out along the bank of sand, clawing the body attached to them closer to the edge of the desert’s neighboring village. It was in seeing distance, at long last. Sorata had almost made it to his destination. His pulse thumped in his chest from fatigue after the arduous march. Both of his legs were burning so much from the strain that he just knew he couldn’t stand without them cramping. He also had a brutal headache.

Ultimately, none of that seemed to matter to him. For once, he felt victorious in that he made it this far.

You know, I have never been pushed beyond my limit.

Is that right?

Yeah. It seems like most of my time spent training has been toward looking for the easy way out. So when I encountered something like this desert, I copped out because I thought that I had neglected doing everything I could to prepare myself for the climate.” He continued crawling on his forearms against the sands while he contemplated. They were becoming dry and painful. “We live in a pretty harsh world. Maybe it would be better if I just stopped cutting corners. Actually work toward something. Exceeding the level my plateau places on me. What do you think?

Sounds good to me, kid.

Sorata looked up and noticed a large sign welcoming newcomers to the village. He brought his arms out to either sides of him, trying to push himself up. One leg at a time became pushed in order to support his weight. His entire body felt like gelatin. He took a single step forward and the pain shooting up his calf and thigh caused him to lose balance and grab on to the upholstery of the sign. Sorata gasped, panting over and over.

Then he collapsed like a dried-out sandcastle.

A passerby took notice, stammering at first until he went to alert their Medic-nin.

—Jashin

S O R A T A

A K A M A T S U
Seishin
The Apex Predator

Return to Wind Country