Writing Discussion Thread! - Hosted by Team Dys <33

Links to different translators, or other aids for the site will be posted here. Users can come in this board to create his or her own tutorial for the rest of the site to look at and critique!

Re: Writing Discussion Thread! - Hosted by Team Dys <33

PostPosted by Klee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:22 am

@ Yamato

I'd definitely agree with what Tsuneh said here.

But there are some more little elements which I find really do help in making a thread interesting, and I guess I'll shed them. For one, keep it fast paced. The more action-sided (And by that I mean activity of any sort, not just combat lol) the thread is on the action/exposition (description/scene setting) scale the better. Keep the action dynamic and brisk, too (By that I don't necessarily mean fast-paced, just succinctly described). Honestly, if you don't feel you /have/ to describe something for whatever reason, don't. Goes for both fight scenes and anything else. Eloquent setup paragraphs are pretty to look at, but let's face it, they're boring. That said, it's always good to throw in a bit of internal thought/reflection from your character, since I always find that it's necessary to understand a character before you can become engaged and interested in them and their lives. This said however, don't overdo it. Don't dawdle on one scene/conversation/fight/date for too long. People get bored of things they're exposed to for too long.

Also I find dialogue very very interesting. Dialogue is just a stream of thoughts which aren't blurred in any exposition. Not only does this reveal character and drive action, the fact that dialogue is shaped so that one can speak to another reveals relationship, which is another very interesting concept for me. Really keeps me engaged!

On that note, I know Tsuneh asked if you meant interesting to your RP-bros or to readers, but personally I find these are one in the same. If you can write in an interesting manner, one that is engaging and hence, involving, people are going to want to get involved. Be it through writing with you, or reading.

@ Clover
Er alright, lol, I'll try with this one! This is long and might not even make sense, so I'm spoilering it.

Spoiler:
In recent times, I've actually experimented with two different characters who both failed to display sympathy at times, but for completely different reasons, which does change how easy it is to write.

Early!Ryou found it difficult to show any sort of understanding for the suffering of others (most of which was caused by him, lol), but in his case it wasn't because he had any cruel/spiteful intentions. He was just spoilt and arrogant. This actually made him very easy to write. Ryou valued himself above all others, and if he felt himself suffering he would vent that frustration without a thought for what that cost other people because hey, they're not as important. Likewise, if he was satisfied at the expense of his peers, he again didn't care for them as long as he was happy. As a result of this, most of his thoughts revolved around him and him alone, and his dialogue (his main...weapon) reflected that. I didn't struggle at all in writing Ryou's complete ignorance because it was exactly that - ignorance. I could avoid reflecting on other people because Ryou didn't think about them save for seeking their attention, so all his mental processes revolved around himself (Even if they did involve personal attacks on others, it was because these people were making HIM suffer). Playing this ignorance into my writing made for an easy unsympathetic character. He's changed a lot since then, but occasionally he does snap back, such as when he was sick and tired in this current thread and had his better judgement clouded. It's definitely harder once you've been writing them a different way, but I find that looking at the principles I used earlier helped me channel the style again.

On the other end of the scale though, I've got Pantsu, who was also very cold and certainly more villainous. Pantsu is, in one sense, the opposite of what Ryou was like. He didn't think highly of himself at all, and had severe inferiority issues as a result. He struggled with apathy too (pretty bad, I actually retconned this into being partly caused by a mental disorder), but out of envy for what others had. Envy so strong it made him resent pretty much everyone he met. So yeah, it was more grudge-like, and his lack of sympathy was simply an effect of him wanting to make others suffer badly (Ryou never had this actual intention). However this meant that writing him meant I had to involve both himself and others in his thought processes, and I did this through him mentally accentuating his 'too many' misfortunes, and taking note of the 'excessive' blessings of other characters, which created a very twisted justification for why he both despised and harmed others, which created the antisocial character. I definitely struggled more with writing Pantsu though, because of both the psychotic nature of his thoughts (it's hard to write something you wouldn't naturally feel?) and also because of the more involved nature. But, that's how I did it.

Lol, so that's all I have to say on writing characters like that. I guess my best protip is to flesh out WHY the character doesn't care for others and figure out what you should include and what you shouldn't based on that. I hope it answers the questions? @__@

@ Wyvern I know I'm not Tsu but I'll just say this anyway: If you've communicated all you want and have to, there is no reason to make your post any longer. Don't fear short posts! There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, and that's something we've just begun to discover at Dys. It actually keeps things more fun, I find. More dynamic. If you're really desperate (Your post is like 3 lines or whatever), maybe check what I wrote to Yams for some ideas for what you can throw in. Maybe a single line that reveals character/relationship through a simple gesture or a thought can help you even it out, but don't go too excessive with what will only pad a post up and not necessarily make it more interesting.
Image Black and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS

Klee

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Is it funner for you guys to role play with only each other, primarily? What advantages does this have for your writing skills?

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Did you really just say funner?

Anyway, I still find plenty of fun RPing with other writers, but sure, overall I find it much more enjoyable in my Dys threads.

As for writing advantages, there are definitely a few big ones. We all know each other very well by now, so it helps us play to each other's strengths, but also force each other to improve on our weaknesses.

And if one person is falling into a rut, the other two will quickly pick up on it and help push them out of it. At the same time, it's the best place to get encouragement/motivation when we really need it. (Okay, that's mostly me, but you other two can shut up T_T)

So yeah, after all this time, it's much easier to create something epic with friends you enjoy spending time with rather than someone you're just getting to know right at the start of a thread. Just a fact.

I'll add more if I think of anything or if something Klee/Tsuneh says gets me thinking of another.
ImageBlack and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Oops.

Do you feel like your writing/story telling skills could suffer by just RPing with the same few people? Have you felt this way? Or are you all just getting better, having more fun (happy? xD) and growing because you're constantly learning strengths and weaknesses. How to get someone "out of a rut" and what causes it being a good example of learning.

"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Nope and no. I don't really have any proof or anything, but I just have never once felt that. Never seen any reason to think so, at least.

If you look at our Dys timeline and slowly read from the top to the bottom, you can see just how dramatically our writing has improved in almost every aspect, especially mine and Klee's, of course.

Umm, if I'm reading your last part right, I think I might have an answer.

For example, a while back one of my ruts was that I couldn't seem to make anything "spontaneous" happen in a thread. Like I'd know exactly how we'd planned the plot, and all I could think of to ever post was following exactly along that outline.

Since then, Tsuneh helped me break out of that, and I've managed to learn and enjoy how to break out of exact plans and just add/change whatever seemed most interesting and effective for the plot development.

Once again, there's probably a lot missing that I can add if I think of it later and as the others reply to this stuff, but for now I might as well put this here for you, lol.
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Isuzu » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Any advice on stringing together a multi-thread plot? Im always good at coming up with an end result, but I am bad at getting my character there well.
"I recommend you take care of the minutes, for the hours will take care of themselves"
Signature Page
Isuzu
Reforming Citizen

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Oddy: Long and the short of it is, for me, it's a lot less work to deal with RPing with other people.

Most people expect me to carry them through the thread. They tell me "do whatever you want" and "just make it epic" and aren't willing to actually contribute. Either through laziness or lack of skill, or both.

So RPing with other people wouldn't give me better exposure or anything to learn from because I'm doing all of the work. I'd have to teach them how to be epic, and I don't have the time or energy to do that anymore. I did years ago, but those days are goneeee~

Klee and Sasuke don't need me to carry them. They know what they're doing, and contribute to every thread and make it fun for me, rather than work.

Isu: Figure out how you want the character to be different at the end of the arc and then make each thread result in him taking a step in that direction. Then when you're done, make a new arc.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:57 pm

And depending on how long or serious the arc is, you can take a break between threads to do a relaxing/funny/filler thread! (But even in fillers there has to be some sort of development in the characters!)
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:58 pm

How do you stop people from being carried through a thread? Is there something in character you could do, or would you need to talk to the person themselves?

If you're using an NPC (let's say some random woman who isn't incredibly plot important) during your post, and then when the next person puts out theirs they've taken control over your NPC to say or do something. Is this something you or anyone you RP with do a lot? I try not to control an NPC someone else is using, even if they are just a several-post-character, because I don't want to ruin a plot that someone else is trying to run. What's your advice on "sharing" an NPC?

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Wyvern_Rider » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:12 pm

Is Team Dysfunctional really disfunctional?

You know, I've wanted to have a team for the longest time. One like your guys'. But every single one I join falls apart. Any advice on how to start a solid team?
~Sometimes, to gain what he wants most, a swordsman must give up everything~
Wyvern_Rider
MasterComic

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:31 am

How did you spell the word right the first time and then immediately misspell it two words later?!

(I'm busy posting, but Klee can answer these until I get back to add something...)
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Wyvern_Rider » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:32 am

Oh you know. Waking up at 4am and staying up all day does that to you.
~Sometimes, to gain what he wants most, a swordsman must give up everything~
Wyvern_Rider
MasterComic

PostPosted by Klee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 am

I'll just answer the ones of these where I have anything new to contribute, since I agree with everything Sasuke and Tsuneh have written here <3

@Oddric Lol, as far as the 'how do you stop people from being carried through a thread?' question goes, I find it's a two step process:

1. Have someone who actually has the initiative to come up with their own twists to a plot and is willing to develop their character.
    2. Don't control /every/ last aspect of the thread, and give them some share of the thread focus and some space to work their own aspects of the plot in.

1 is much harder to achieve than 2. If you can actually find 1, then 2 is pretty simple. If /you're/ the one having trouble with '1', then change that, and tell whoever you're RPing with to apply '2'! All there is to say about that.

For NPCs, at Dys we do use a truckload of NPCs but usually we don't have multiple people controlling the one. Mostly because we reveal character as we go, and whoever came up with the idea for the NPC would be the only one with the character knowledge to play them right. So yeah, on principle we only /share/ the least developed of NPCs, but there's a reason for that. We do split them between the group though, and all try our hand at controlling them. Generally (With some exceptions, like family members and whatnot), we don't each take NPCs who are primarily going to interact with our own main characters, since this way we're not RPing with ourselves so much.

@Wyvern Are you trying to ask if we're dysfunctional in an IC or an OOC sense? Eh, I'll just respond in both contexts since it's pretty much the same answer anyway, lol.

IC, our main characters are all on at least working terms with each other, but they all have very distinct personalities. Of course, this leads to a guaranteed fight over something in every topic! So yeah, dysfunctional. But this definitely isn't a bad thing, since all of these internal conflicts allow our characters to constantly challenge each other, and that causes us to further character development regardless of where the team are, or what they're doing.

OOC Dys is kinda similar, we're all good friends but there's always a trivial argument about something stupid going on around here and everybody's always throwing out completely random comments, but that's how we get so many ideas out in the open and choose the best ways to advance our plotline. And that's just in planning terms. As Sasuke alluded to, we've all developed the ability to throw in spontaneous changes to whatever we've planned, simply by posting, and while I suppose that's another form of 'dysfunction' it's definitely a good thing as far as creating epic plots goes!

As far as creating a solid team goes, I'll have to say it's incredibly difficult if you don't know the people you'e RPing with and spend time planning with them. If you can formulate some basic character arcs that allow for constant development in both character and story. Like I said above, contrasting character types REALLY helps with this.
One final tip: I've found in all my time on NC, not just with Dys, if you've got more than two members in a team or group and one drops out a little while into the story, keep going without them if you can. If the rest of you are willing, try and come up with a creative way to write the abandoning character out of the plot. In lots of circumstances, I've found that such an action can only strengthen dynamics between the remaining characters. However you choose to write them out, their departure usually comes as a breaking point for the rest of the squad, and we've long held here at Dys that breaking characters is the best way to make them stronger.
Image Black and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS

Klee

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:07 am

On the subject of NPCs, you really just need to ask.

Yeah, sometimes they are important enough to stick with one person, but many of them can be used for random purposes and might work well if controlled by multiple people in consecutive posts.

Just gotta be talking to the other people in the thread.
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by shuu » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:17 am

what if your thread carry doesn't get his solo carry lane and you're forced to thread jungle but you're playing a thread ap
and you cant sew

I'm not really asking for help, but what are your general thoughts regarding solo topics?
ouch lol
shuu
d
d

PreviousNext

Return to The Classroom