Writing Discussion Thread! - Hosted by Team Dys <33

Links to different translators, or other aids for the site will be posted here. Users can come in this board to create his or her own tutorial for the rest of the site to look at and critique!

Re: Writing Discussion Thread! - Hosted by Team Dys <33

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Oddy: The point should be that one person shouldn't be operating the thread and one person following along. That by definition means one person is carrying. You should develop the topic together and have communication throughout.

There are some occasions where you should carry someone though a thread (like you want to give them a particular experience) but it's a very different experience for you and should be done for specific reasons.

Like with everything in writing, there's no hard and fast rules. Just make sure what you're doing is intentional.

Shuu: I write solo threads all the time.
They're called novels.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by shuu » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Well, I mean, in novels you have one hundred percent control over everything.

But here, to a certain extent you do but there is also a lack of that, I mean if you set up a topic with someone, sure, you can plan ahead, but you never know exactly what they're going to write and something can flow out of them that the both of you didn't expect. Solo topics/threads are notably shorter then a novel, and I think their purpose is a little less fully defined. A novel is the all-that-is to the story, whereas the solo topic is a idontevenknowwhatimtalkingaboutrightnow
but yeah uh
yeah?
ouch lol
shuu
d
d

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:09 pm

The question is, what can you do in a solo topic that can't be done better in one with others?

I mean, aside from being able to move it along whenever you want, there's really no benefits at all. Might as well just write a short story or something.
ImageBlack and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by GARyu. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 am

You all know I hate asking for help publicly but here I go! *puts on his Dai face*

Do you have any advice or tips for taking a thread with no obvious purpose or direction and turning it on its head? Besides the broader "anything to further character development", is there anything you can narrow down at all to help with that?

To add on top of that. What are some good tips on taking a vague, general goal and fleshing it out into specific event-based objectives that get you to that goal. Do you do it on the fly, or plan as far ahead as possible? Would be my main question for that one.
GARyu.
ORE WO DARE DA TO OMOTE YAGARU?!
ORE WO DARE DA TO OMOTE YAGARU?!

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Depends, I guess.

A lot of times it's just me going "I want to write ____!" For example, the thread after next for Dys is going to be a "beach episode" style one just because I said "I want to write a beach episode!"

Then we make it work from there.

I don't think we spend a lot of time jumping into threads blind. We usually have a vague outline of the big events that we're going to do, even if we don't end up doing them. Having a goal allows us to move forward.

The type of thread you're describing is in essence something that shuu was kind of asking about regarding his solo thread: discovery writing. Trying to find out information about your character, setting, ability, etc. through the act of writing it out. Nothing wrong with it but it can be a bit detrimental in the RP style if you're hoping something is going to pop out at you when you're writing and then...it doesn't.

Actually, in that sense, there is a purpose to solo threads, because if nothing happens then it doesn't matter, but if you make a nice discovery then that's cool.

Anyway, if you're desperate for something interesting to happen you can always try my obvious + anti-obvious technique.

Example!:

Girl meets boy. They find each other attractive.

OBVIOUS: Impromptu date!

There's nothing wrong with obvious, but maybe you don't want to do this for whatever reason. Well let's look at the anti-obvious. What would be the opposite of impromptu date?

ANTI-OBVIOUS: Immediately murder each other!

All right, that's...shocking, and maybe you can weave in some information as to why they would need to kill each other, but we can take it one step further. How can you have them want to kill each other and have an impromptu date at the same time?

Well, maybe they're spies, both trying to seduce each other for information.
Maybe their techniques don't allow for direct combat but they still want to kill each other to prove a point.
Maybe it's mistaken identity.
Maybe someone wronged the other (the boy slept with the girl and ran off) and now the girl is getting revenge (yet still dealing with lingering feelings)
Maybe they start trying to kill each other and end up falling in love instead.

Those are just a few quick ideas, but you can see how trying to get two contradictory facts to exist simultaneously can generate a number of interesting ideas!

So if you're stuck in a thread, look at the next obvious step in the thread's progression and start messing around with it.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Kindra » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:55 am

I've taken this Quote from one of the first post

A. I use two characters most of the time, Kyuuen and Moxie, which means there's double the amount of speaking and action, as well as some character interaction between the two of them that has to be covered.

when you RP two characters in one post are one of them a NPC or are they both real characters? and how long do you think its allowed to do that?

I mean would you allow someone to make two man mission where he/she control both of the characters?

and another question:

when you are posting with DYS are you talking ahead of what is going to happen and what you want to do in the next topic, or do you just take it as it comes?

RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow

Kindra
The blue sands puppeteer

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:41 pm

1. We don't follow rules. At all. We just do stuff. It doesn't matter cause we don't RP with anyone else, so our lack of jutsu approvals don't hurt anyone. So, the whole NPC/PC thing is a moot argument in Dys because they're just characters. Yeah, Moxie, Kyuuen, Toya and Ryou are the protagonists and often the POV characters, but the rest /can/ be. Many have ascended from simple NPC status to full-on characters.

2. We spend hours daily working on the plots. We're a little crazy like that.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Oddric » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 pm

HOURS? You're crazy geniuses.

Do you find it more fun to pre-plan plots or to randomly go at it?

Though, I'm assuming you guys try to aim for the middle.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:03 pm

We have about the next two years worth of threads loosely outlined. Major events, big arc ideas, etc.

When we work on a particular arc, we tend to outline those by threads.

If a thread is particularly complicated or has a lot of stuff to do (like the Beach one we're doing now) we will outline what order events go in.

That said, if anyone has a better idea at that moment, we just change it and then change everything as a result of it. So much of what we do is based upon one of us saying a random comment and then the other two spinning it off into a whole new thing.

In fact, we invented a whole new arc the other day based on a character idea Sasuke had.

I think if people knew how hard we worked on this, they'd think we were stupid.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Oddric » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Lol. I'm impressed (and perhaps a bit bewildered...) by all the work you put into it. I didn't realize how much conversing you guys did for Dys-plots.

This is a much better hobby than some people's! I don't think anyone would call it stupid.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Tolkien » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 am

Interesting nteresting guys, well in my case i have a lot of ideas and plots that i have in the back of my mind. I feel tsuneo on the npc's i use them alot. They are an excellent way for me to drive the story along and for plots to involve and encourage otherse to join. As much ideas i have to bring i thrive and am at my best when others are involved. Especially in others plots when i share ideas with others ideas just pop up like crazy.
Tolkien
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Tolkien » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 am

Uchiha Sasuke wrote:The question is, what can you do in a solo topic that can't be done better in one with others?

I mean, aside from being able to move it along whenever you want, there's really no benefits at all. Might as well just write a short story or something.

Well for me i get some benefit from writing solo topics. not only does it help move my plots along it is also somewhat of a placeholder for me and a warmup to create even more story. I feel that that more you write your ideas out the better your plots can come together. Plus sometimes if you like me, you have too many ideas floating in the head and put some of those ideas out before you forget them. I use solo topics for many other reasons bht that is some of the reasons

Oh yeah and Tsu or sasuke, outside of you guys do you take consideration of other peoples plots and try tp o incorporate with ypur plots?
Tolkien
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Tolkien » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:39 am

Oh yeah.. i know my 3rd straight post but got to say this..

Tsuneo, i really enjoyed brother Domon when you had used him, but i hated when yoh gave him up. Gainon and Domon would had made a great duo...lol just wanted to say that cause it was on my mind

And is klee=sunedo? Are you still working on the right arm organization? I cant use Zetsu anymore but i can still use the tsoo syndicate. Let me know whats up
Tolkien
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:47 am

In the past, I think all of us tried to combine plots with other users and make big awesome stories. Currently, no, not at all. We're completely self-contained now, lol.

And Klee is definitely not Sunedo, sorry, lol.
ImageBlack and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Seijitsu Kodani » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:24 am

Well, this is more of a social rather than writing based question...

But how does one find someone whom you are capable of enjoying Writing/Plotting/RPing with?

There is quite a lot of chemistry that is rather obvious in DYS, and it makes me wonder how it works...
[align=center]Image
Nyan
Seijitsu Kodani
Snow White Queen

PreviousNext

Return to The Classroom