Writing Discussion Thread! - Hosted by Team Dys <33

Links to different translators, or other aids for the site will be posted here. Users can come in this board to create his or her own tutorial for the rest of the site to look at and critique!

Writing Discussion Thread! - Hosted by Team Dys <33

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:08 pm

So now that the Ask A Tsu thread is closed, I thought this might be useful.

Ask anything you want about writing that you think I might be able to help with. I study it a lot so I can point you to some interesting stuff.

I also hope maybe some discussion can get going and we can all learn from one another.

Only writing questions, please. Everything else will be deleted.

Go go go!
Tsuneo
Old Man

Re: Ask Tsu about Writeish Things

PostPosted by Ketsu » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:10 pm

I've read through a few posts here and there, and I was wondering... how do you make them so long? If I try that, I end up just reiterating what I already said or being stupid, sometimes both.
Ketsu
lrn2makeupurmind

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Never aim to make your posts long.

Length is a result of function. You need the post to be exactly as long as it needs to be to move the story along.

My posts tend to be longer because:

A. I use two characters most of the time, Kyuuen and Moxie, which means there's double the amount of speaking and action, as well as some character interaction between the two of them that has to be covered.

B. I use a LOT of NPCs. Dys is sorta addicted to creating then keeping NPCs. I'm addicted to making them, that's for sure, lol.

C. I end up being the transition/set-up guy in topics (we sometimes call it the RP carry (we being me and Sasuke)). I set up a lot of the settings and do a lot of the heavy lifting to transition from one scene to the other, which requires a lot of typing. I don't /always/ do it. If you look at the current Dys thread, you'll see that Klee took that role through the duration of the Hanako-stint. And, as a result, her posts were much longer.

Not all of my posts are long. There's a post in the recent Dys topic that is only 300 words or so. On average mine tend to run a minimum of 500, but that post only needed 300 so that's what I used.

So the length is a result of the function. Don't add useless words just so it looks bigger.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Ketsu » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Where/How do you come up with most of the plots you and your, so to speak 'crew', write about? This is actually something I've struggled with for as long as I can remember, when it comes to writing.
Ketsu
lrn2makeupurmind

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 pm

We prepare to plot.

Tsuneh says some nice things with Klee occasionally chiming in.

I tell an awesome joke or say something random.

Said joke/random comment becomes viable plot.

We proceed with said viable plot and randomly think of ways to change it after like every other post, so of course we go along with it.

tl;dr our method may or not actually work for anyone else, so always go with the third option. talk to your RP mates daily when possible.

Edit: Also, there is about a 50% chance Klee will find a sexual innuendo in something I say. This may or may not end up leading to yet another viable plot point.
ImageBlack and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:32 pm

That, and Klee throws in crack-pairings that we make viable.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Klee » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Those are just viable from the get-go, bro. Nothing needs to be made!
Image Black and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS

Klee

Re: Writing Discussion Thread! - Hosted by Team Dys <33

PostPosted by Yamamoto » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:23 pm

THIS IS NOT, WRITING DISCUSSION THREAD - HOSTED BY T-...

did you change the title?

edit:

How does one keep a topic interesting?
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴
Yamamoto
Yamsalot

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Interesting for the reader or interesting to the people in it?

And yeah, I did change it xD
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Yamamoto » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 pm

uhhhh, guess both of them apply to this question.
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴
Yamamoto
Yamsalot

PostPosted by Clover » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:02 am

Have any of you ever had difficulty with making a character unsympathetic?
Clover
RAW LIGHTNING

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 am

@Yams - Add lots of colors, cake, and penguins, preferably.

If you cannot do any of that, then make sure you always have a reason and end result for everything you do in a thread. If an event/action/conversation/anything does not somehow affect a character or the story as a whole, then why did you waste your time writing it?

Impacting things usually = interesting things.

@Cloveh - I'll have to say no, because I don't think I've honestly ever tried to write such a character. The closest thing I have is probably Tohru, Toya's dad. But even then, there is a part of him that the reader wants to sympathize with, as much as they may hate part of him at the same time.

Might have to talk to Tsuneh, as he as experience writing antagonists in his novels, whereas the rest of us pretty much stick to heroes 99% of the time.
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Wyvern_Rider » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:23 am

@Tsu (since you're addicted to NPC's) - So you make lots of NPC's? I always wondered how those worked in the first place. I mean, you don't have complete control over them, I guess. Makes sense since that are Non-Playable Characters. Maybe you could explain them on the way to answering my main question.

Still pertaining to the post-length question: Suppose that you have a very short post. I mean, it's out of your hands, you've communicated all you wish to communicate in your dinky post. Any suggestions on how to make it longer?
~Sometimes, to gain what he wants most, a swordsman must give up everything~
Wyvern_Rider
MasterComic

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:38 am

Yams: Yeah, Sasuke's right, lots of forward motion.

Also try to take convoluted paths to things. If you have a thread and you decide how the character is going to be different at the end of the thread (which you should every time) then there's usually a very quick, obvious way to get there. That can be pretty boring though, so start twisting it around. Make it harder. Make it weirder. Take a turn somewhere and it'll be more interesting to everyone.

Clovey: I do, but only cause I love villains that you can sympathize with. That's just a personal love of mine. I try to make my villains not be "evil", just different point of view.

That said, I've done a few despicable characters in the past. Mostly what you need to do is make sure that they understand what they are doing is wrong, they show the reader they know what they're doing is wrong, and they're going to do it anyway. This makes the reader really hate them, since the character is making an active choice to do something wrong and doesn't show any remorse. There should also be either a selfish reason or no reason to it at all.

Hopefully Klee will post about this because she's very good at making unsympathetic characters.

WR: Uh....

NPC = Non Player Character. That basically means that the character can't participate in tournaments, events, or exams where competitive combat is in play.

Most people use them as masters or senseis or parents or shopkeepers. I just treat them as new characters. Heck, one of my NPCs has her own thread right now, lol.

You should know that I break almost all the rules on the site. The rules are in place for competitive combat purposes, and since I don't do those threads anymore I just do what I need to to keep things interesting.

Why does everyone care so much about the length? It doesn't matter!

Mine get longer cause honestly, I get bored. Like I was telling Yams, there's usually an easy, direct way to solve a problem in the thread but that usually bores me and I start adding obstacles and twists so that my mind has something to do. I like to put myself into corners and try to get out cause that's more entertaining for me.

Length tends to go up when you start adding extra stuff in it.

Length is not the answer, people! Work on being interesting and thorough and the rest will follow.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49 am

Wyvern_Rider wrote:Suppose that you have a very short post. I mean, it's out of your hands, you've communicated all you wish to communicate in your dinky post.

This pretty much answers why you don't /need/ to add anything more.

An amazing post can be an essay or a few paragraphs, it's really about the content and where it is in the thread.
Uchiha Sasuke

Next

Return to The Classroom