DECAY: Flower - Heart and Sky

[Westlands | Coast | Greater Wind Country]
From the eastern desert plains, to the infamous Westlands and the southern coast with its neighboring islands, the Wind Country covers an array of changing landscapes and other settlements. The people who live there are as diverse and powerful as the lands they live on.

DECAY: Flower - Heart and Sky

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:16 am

The City of Seven Valleys was under seige.

For five days now the massive stone wall erected by the Gou had prevented anyone from entering or exiting the city. Bombardments from both sides had pounded relentlessly. Giant boulders, thunderbolts, balls of flame, hailstorms of kunai and arrows - the battlefield between the Suna wall and the Noble's was littered with the bodies of the fallen and the razed earth.

Something impacted the side of the Suna wall and rumbled. Compacted ball of explosive notes, most likely.

Moxie let out a long breath, tempering her mind. Anxiety flowed through her fingers, bleeding into nothingness. Only cold focus could be allowed into her mind, a razor edge of skill and clarity.

There was nothing else to do. They had rehearsed the plan a dozen times. They had analyzed how to change it if certain conditions arose. Moxie had even memorized it all from start to finish, to the point where she was having dreams about it.

"Aw, it fits well."

Moxie turned, letting her eyes part. Kohana stood in the opening of the tent, smiling, her hands clasped behind her back. She was wearing a medical uniform, her body laden down with a dozen pouches filled with medicines and tools. Her scarlet hair was tied into a simple ponytail, her green eyes sparkling with a vivid shade of life. She had a long roll of fabric in her arms, cradling it to her.

"You still know my size." Moxie held out her left arm, examining how the sleeve ended just where it should. The suit was a remarkable piece of Saihoushi design, all of the latest innovations. The suit itself was simple, black and slightly baggy with material that would tear only under the most sharp blades. Pouches were sewn into the garment itself, removing the need for the shinobi gear belt. A belt ran from the top of the shoudler to the hip, allowing for the storage of extra equipment. Moxie had Raikenkire hanging from the front of hers. The boots were light weight and extremely grippy on the soles, and a black scarf hung around her neck, meant to be wrapped around her face to conceal her identity.

Fashionably it was very utilitarian - which is why Toya probably didn't put up much of a fuss when Kohana had delivered it to the team. The magnificent part about the clothes were their inherent abilities.

Ninjutsu had been woven into the fabric itself. With a burst of chakra and a thought, the clothes would snap into the Nunojutsu Stiffening technique, turning the loose-fitting fabric as hard as steel in an instant, armoring themselves. The fabric was also charka conductive, allowing for techniques to speed along the body and activate elemental properties without taking any damage to the garment itself.

There were only four in the world.

Moxie's had been slightly modified to carry extra spools of chakra conductive fabric.

"Of course I know your size. I'm your sister. Now spin around, let me get a look."

Moxie did, though they had done this dance once before. Kohana gave a nod.

"Good. Looks like it's in order. Did you check the abilities?"

"Kohie, please."

"I know, I know...I'm just worried. Not because I have anything to worry about, you're going to do fine, and you're going to come back victorious. I'm just..."

Moxie pushed her forehead against her sister's, like they had done so many times before.

"I know."

Kohana pushed the roll of fabric into Moxie's hands. Moxie stepped back, realizing there was something rolled into it.

"I guess Dad had an inkling he might have to let Suna down, so he had all of the stuff moved out of the house while we were gone. It's all in a big building back on the Saihoushi Village...I was rummaging around there while I was waiting for your suits and I found this. I thought maybe you'd find it useful."

Moxie finished unrolling the fabric onto the ground. A katana lay in the center of it, a simple black scabbard holding the blade. She picked it up and gripped onto the hilt, pulling it out an inch.

The blade was golden.

"What is this...another gift for mom from some famous swordsmith?"

"Not exactly. Slide it out all the way and look at the blade."

Moxie obeyed. The blade was beautifully balanced and razor sharp, gliding through the air with tremendous ease. She scanned along the side of the gold blade until she saw an inscription.

"Justice is the sword of love." Moxie looked up at her sister, trying to pull the answer out of her head through their eyes, like she had so many times before.

"I think it's for you."

"What? For me?"

"Yes. I think mom had it made for you and she meant to give it to you someday."

"It...it does sound like something she would say."

"I think it'll protect you. Don't you?"

Moxie nodded, sliding the weapon away. She rose, and took her sister in her arms, holding her gently as Kohana held her in return, basking in a bond that only twins - triplets - could understand.

"Thanks Kohie. Be careful today."

"I will. And you be spectacular, since I know being careful is sort of out of the question."

They held each other silently for a moment longer. Then Kohana drifted out from Moxie and vanished into the camp. Moxie picked up her new weapon and set it onto her belt. She threw the scarf around her shoulders and stepped into the camp.

The squads were restless. Droves of Westlanders milled about, cursing and shoving and trying to get out all of their nervous energy. Suna-nin were much more silent, conserving energy and chakra for the battle ahead. She walked through the camp until she reached the end of it, next to the wall. The last three members of the team were there.

Kyuuen's sleeves were rolled up, her right arm revealing the new tattoos she had applied. They began at her wrist and spiraled around her arm in a gorgeous flow. One was soft and swirling, a pattern representing water. The next ran parrallel to the first, also flowing but with sharp points and razor curves to them, a pattern representing fire. The two lines of fire and water followed each other up her arm until they met at the top of her bicep, where they melded into one another in a perfect circle. A sphere.

A bubble.

She opened up a bottle and poured four pills into it. She popped one into her mouth, then handed out the rest one by one .

"Nutrients, energy, and chakra enhancing supplements. Take them now, it'll help us sustain through the battle."

Moxie ate hers, feeling the chakra brimming to the edge of her body, passing through the seal and bubbling into Ryou. They had both rested well the last few days, and their reserves were at the limit. All of the chakra they could use today was burning inside their bodies, waiting to be released.

Kyuuen sat on one of the boxes in their impromptu circle, rolling her sleeves back into place. Moxie nodded at her, then Ryou, then lingered her gaze on Toya. He looked strikingly handsome in his Saihoushi battle suit, the blackness bringing the strikingness of his features.

"Today's the day."

She sat herself down on the barrel.

"We know the plan, we know the back up plans, and we know each other. There's nothing else to do but to take action. Our mission is to rescue the nobility that is loyal to the idea of the Republic. While we do that, the main attack will be taking place, so we have to be quick and careful."

She wasn't sure why she was going over this again. Maybe because the words were familiar and calming.

"Stay together and stay alive. That's the goal. I...I won't mind if we can't rescue all or any of the nobility. It's a long shot. But I can't bear the thought of losing you. Any of you."

Footsteps stopped Moxie's speech. They all turned to stare up at the Kazekage - his body glistening with armor amongst his brown cloaks.

"Ah, if it isn't my Heroes of Sand. Are you ready?"

"Yes, sir."

Dakara grinned, tossing a hand through Moxie's strawberry blonde. "So formal. You'll all do fine. I chose you for a reason, after all. Ah, but we do need to give you a Team name don't we? Don't think that was ever formalized...you know what, stick with Heroes of Sand. It fits."

He touched his forehead with his fingers and saluted. "Good luck, Heroes."

"Wait, dad, seriously? You want us to call ourselves heroes? Doesnt' that seem a little...self-inflated?"

"It would if you gave it to yourself. But I gave it to you. So use it."

The Kazekage marched back into his awaiting men, trying to carry everything weighing on his mind.
Tsuneo
Old Man

Re: DECAY: Flower - Heart and Sky

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:16 am

Toya stretched his arms above his head, having chosen to remain standing and on full alert throughout their meet up, a Nanaya habit he found difficult to break. His body was already coursing with adrenaline without any further assistance from Kyuuen’s supplement pill, an almost excessive enthusiasm brewing inside of him.

For the first time in his short life, someone had directly, sort of, acknowledged him as a hero. And that one person also happened to be the acting leader of the Republic of Suna, just after entrusting him and the others with an incredibly important, but risky mission.

But slowing things down and taking a moment to really think about all of it…what kind of hero had he always wanted to be? A hero of justice, of the world as a whole. In the past, he’d fought bandits to protect Yuki and his teammates, the Nanaya to protect himself and Moriko and other victims of the old clan’s twisted schemes, and then the nobility of the Wind Country and Takaya to protect the innocent people of Suna and the country as a whole.

In each and every case, though his actions definitely served a righteous purpose in the process, he always fought for himself and the handful of people he held dearest in the world. Now he wasn’t fighting a personal battle, though Moxie and Kyuuen were still so closely entwined with one side. He had to choose whether it was worth fighting for this cause, when he could just as easily choose to bow out and let this event unfold as it would.

No, he would continue supporting this budding nation’s struggle to beat back its oppressors and reclaim the territory it had been robbed of. He would save more lives and help win this war and justly earn the title Hero of Sand. Maybe this land wasn’t fully solidified in his heart as his real “home” yet, but it was the closest thing he had since the day Yuki tossed him out like trash without a second thought. Then, perhaps someday, Suna would mean as much to him as it did to the girls. A place he could treasure absolutely and protect with every last bit of his body and soul.

For now…taking the name hero and continually receiving opportunities to do what he did best and enjoyed most would suit him just fine.

He finally swallowed the capsule rolling around on his tongue and proceeded to crack the knuckles of both his hands as the extra boost of energy surged through his blood and chakra streams. Hah, anyone who stood between him and his goal was going to regret waking up today.

The hunter lightly pulled at the belt running across his chest, feeling a sense of security from the accessory packed with his signature throwing knives. The pouches of his new battle suit were mostly filled with lighter tools like explosive tags, smoke bombs, and the sort. His sole Nanaya blade remained at his left hip as usual, rounding out his deadly arsenal. As if he wasn’t dangerous enough without any of his gear.

You know he’s right, Moriko, relax and breathe a little. It’s good to be prepared for a less-than-perfect outcome when going into a hunt, but talking like failure is probable and that we need to focus on survival is ridiculous. We’re all strong, and we’re all going to return intact with all of the hostages.

So focus on the present and not what might happen. I always follow through when I say something. I’ve never let you down before, right?

Toya smiled brightly and stepped into the center of the circle, taking her hand and gently pulling Moxie to her feet. Maybe he was riding the momentum of his recent accomplishments and letting them slightly cloud his usual cautious judgment, but there was no way he would fail today.

We’re counting on you too, leader.
ImageBlack and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Klee » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:12 am

Even as Moxie, and then even the Kazekage addressed them, Ryou stood back, resigned for the most part, to his own thoughts and the words of Moxie and then Toya. He was too lost in them to even speak. It was silly; there shouldn't have been anything to think about.

Canons thundered and marble walls were burning, and beyond them, people were dying. For just cause. For Suna. They would save the few they could, but otherwise, it had to be. Especially now, that the village which had provided him with so much and acted as a second home for even someone like him, had fallen.

And yet, Suna's sake or not, watching this was the most confronting thing ever.

He couldn't believe that so many inhabitants of the noble city were opposed to the notions of Wind Country freedom and liberty and had to be stopped for that opposition. He wouldn't. Not when their blood coursed through their own veins.

There were good people in there, he knew it. He knew them.

"Sora..." again he mumbled her name, under his breath, almost soundlessly. But it was the loudest thing going through his head right now. Sora was in there. She was his shred of proof that there were decent people in there, people he had to save. No, not like Moxie who had expressed in true honesty that if anything, she'd be satisfied if their unit all survived the onslaught, regardless of how many innocent villagers they could save. Ryou knew only an innate desperation to rescue them all. Only then could he really be a hero, regardless of what name the Kazekage, Moxie or any other individual branded him with.

So could he?

"Thank you, Ryou, for saving my life. You'll always be my hero."
Mei's remarks continued to resonate through his mind and a part of him was still questioning them, the rescue's shortcomings continuing to torment him. He hadn't 'saved' her as well as somebody else may have. She hadn't...come out whole. Could he call himself a hero after that?
But then again, she'd survived. Nobody else had been in a position to go after Mei, and so he had, and so she was alive. In all he'd saved her life. Simple as that. Did that make him a hero?

Did saving Hayari make him a hero? Did curtailing a bandit ring? Did ridding a trade circle of piracy? Was heroism the result of success one event or an ongoing chain? He didn't know which way to feel about it.
But...in hindsight, he had done all those things, hadn't he? Whatever it meant for him, he'd found the strength to push through. Well then maybe...

Ryou stepped off from the wall, his arms sliding out of their fold across his chest and coming to rest at his sides. His hands tensed, clenching into fists and unclenching. Feeling the capsule rolling down his unfurling fingers, he remembered that he had it, and tossed the thing in his mouth and swallowed it so abruptly that it took only one pulsing heartbeat. His initial resolve was to avoid meeting a single pair of eyes until they'd reached the end of this fray, regardless of what the final outcome was, but the culmination of his feelings and Toya's speech and rush of the pill's effects filled him with a almost forgotten wave of confidence.

After all, he wasn't alone. If he was going to be a hero here, it would only be with the aid of the others - he'd never really done it alone. But he didn't really mind that. Heroes of sand, not hero.

"Right, we're heroes. We've been heroes before, we know what we can do. Toya's right, there's...no need to be negative. We can do this." he tossed Moxie a nod, the old smug grin finally catching back up to his face, "Let's go, leader."
Last edited by Klee on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Black and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS

Klee

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:40 am

"Yeah, these two idiots are right. We're grabbing our friends and getting the hell out of there and they won't even know what happened. It'll be easy. Hell, can we start now? I don't know about you guys but I could use a damn vacation..."

Kyuuen stood up. She reached over to the side of her box where four large scrolls were coiled and bound together. She handed each of them a scroll, which they attached to their back. Each of the four busied themselves with double-checking their equipment, making sure every last advantage they could bring with them was ready.

Moxie shut her eyes. She felt like she did that day in front of the volcano - that the world was too big and that she was too small and that nothing she ever did would ever change what was to happen. No Kyoumougan, no red lightning, no swordsmanship could change fate, it seemed. Just like a nine-year-old Moxie couldn't stop the flow of a volcano, could she really hope to stop a system of rule that had reigned the land for generations?

She searched in her mind for that feeling she had when mom had hugged her tight and told her it would be okay, that feeling of power when she had taken her tiny hands and folded them into complex handsigns. That feeling that something bigger than her was protecting their day, that the spirit of her mother was guiding them.

But she didn't.

She only felt herself.

And then she understood.

This was what Hana Saihoushi, the great defender of the world, had always felt like. There was never anyone watching over her, guiding her, protecting her. She had to protect everyone beneath her, to stare at the darkness and confront it head on while nurturing those in her care. She had to do it alone.

Always.

This was Moxie's punishment. She had so long wondered when fate would come to collect on her actions. She had been given so much: new friends, a new love, a new purpose in life. It didn't seem fair that she could have all of that prosperity bloom out of her mistake. But the punishment was there all along, eating away at her without her noticing.

Mom wasn't there, so mom wasn't there.

And now it was she who had to carry that burden. It was she who had to comfort those in her care and deal with the fear alone.

She reached out and took Kyuuen's hand and pulled her to one side, then did the same with Toya. Then she motioned Ryou to step forward, and folded them all together.

One team. One hug.

"Right. Time to go."

One by one they stole across the encampment until they reached the solid Gou-created wall. Moxie yanked open a hatch, revealing a rough shaft with a wooden ladder to follow. She went first, scrambling down as fast as the ladder would let her, into the depths of the earth. There a winding tunnel stretched before them, lit only be dull yellow spheres every few feet.

Kyuuen had never been afraid of battle. Her whole life, pre and post Kizuatorui, had been primed for it. It was just what she trained in action, nothing more. She didn't actually understand why people grew more and more terrified as they approached the real thing.

Today she understood a little.

It was more apprehension than fear. She just wanted to get the whole thing over and done with, to let their skills speak for themselves, watch the enemy crumble in terror, and let them exit the city as the heroes they were. She was impatient for the taste of victory, longing for a few quiet days with Ryou, hoping to have endless hours of sleep and let herself rest.

But as her grandmother had always said: pleasure is for those who earn it.

So one more job. Just one more.

The team stopped in the chamber at the end of the winding tunnels, staring at the four round steps that awaited them. It had taken several brillant beefy Gou guys to carve out this tunnel, weaving it around intricately past the fuuinjutsu defenses the nobility had buried in the sand. From how Kyuuen understood it in the briefing, it had been a small miracle they could get next to the wall, and they were saving this one route for them to use.

The rest would have to charge across the sand and hopefully live long enough to get through the gates.

Kyuuen crouched low, spreading her hands across the step, her fingertips tracing the grooves of fuuinjutsu. Apparently all they had to do was add chakra and the rest would go on its own.

"On my mark." Moxie's voice was even and smooth. A seasoned leader's voice.

"Now."

Chakra flowed from their hands into the seals. The earth trembled around them. The ceiling split open, sunlight washing over them. The steps rattled back and forth so violently that Kyuuen nearly lost her footing.

The step shot up.

It was disorienting at first, rushing upward but forward at the same time, seeing the city wall gliding beneath her feet as if it were the ground. She felt the pull of gravity tugging at her and the slowing ascent of the step. Kyuuen pushed off, sparing a moment to glance at either side. Her teammates were doing the same, using the momentum to touch their feet against the wall and loop their chakra through it. Kyuuen's eyes focused ahead of her.

Their path took them as planned, right up the side of one of the defensive towers. There were a few heads poking over the side, arms pointing at the battlefield as they determined where next to send their bombardments.

With a surge of chakra, Moxie took the lead. Her gold sword slashed an arc of light. She stepped onto the rail, watching the man fall to the floor with blood running from the gash across his body. The blade was light and durable and whipped through the air like Moxie had wielded it for years. Toya was soon in the tower after her, with Ryou close behind, each unleashing quick attacks to subdue the confused tower guards.

Kyuuen did not climb into the tower.

Her smaller frame was propelled so quickly that it rocketed past the point her teammates had and over the opening of the tower. Kyuuen unhooked the scroll from her back and as she passed the edge of the roof, stuck the small hook on the end of the scroll into it. Kyuuen's run took her over the top of the tower, unfurling the scroll along its path until it came to an end. Then Kyuuen released the end and hopped through the other opening of the tower, joining the team.

"Perfect entry."

The heroes scanned the area, watching all directions. Moxie spared a glance at the battlefield: the Suna forces were charging now, shields of earth rising from the ground to protect them as best they could from the walls' defensive weaponry.

"We have to help. We have time and spare scrolls. Toya, Ryou head along the wall to that tower, Kyuuen with me to this one. Rendezvous at the next waypoint as soon as you have them set. If you can't do it quickly or safetly, then forget it. Three minutes to complete this task."

Moxie picked out the next waypoint in her mind: the tall temple not too far from here. They would meet back on that roof.

Hopefully everyone would be there.

Kyuuen charged along the wall, with Moxie in tow, her hands starting to crackle and prickle with red lightning.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:16 am

Toya dashed along the wall with the speed and force of a howling gale. A trio of defenders turned to face the sudden noise as he approached, clearly surprised to be encountering any type of assault this early.

So sloppy.

Crimson streams burst from each of their necks as the hunter blew past them, not hesitating for a moment between each precise strike at their unarmored vitals. A Nanaya didn’t need any fateline tricks in order to tear someone apart with frightening ease.

The sound of their comrades’ dying screams pulled another pair of soldiers away from staring at the battle below. Toya never slowed, using his momentum to lunge forward and drive his left hand into the first man’s chest. Sharpened, rotating wind chakra enveloped his fingers, shredding through steel and flesh as if they were paper.

He tightened his fist around the blade in his right hand and pounded the fist into the other’s armored gut with deceptive strength, knocking the helpless guard off of the safety of the wall with screams of terror as he plummeted to the battlefield.

Ryou!

With one smooth, practiced motion, he pulled one of the knives from his belt, turned and tossed it behind him. It pierced the thinly shielded knee of the soldier who had charged past him and attempted to impale his teammate with a spear. The man crumpled immediately, unable to stand on a completely disabled leg.

Another minute and a half dozen more victims later and the pair had reached the edge of the daunting watch tower. Toya raised a hand to halt Ryou at his side, analyzing the large construction and the number of warriors stationed to man and defend it.

We don’t have time for this, the main objective is too important. I’m going to scale this thing and distract them all, so you gotta rush in there and place the tag when I do that, alright? I’m only going to stay for a minute at the most, so just get out and head to the next meeting point whether you succeed or fail by then. Go!

Chakra surrounded his feet as he leapt and ran vertically up the tower’s exterior. He dug a pair of small spheres from one of his suit’s pockets as he climbed, tossing them up and onto the roof before he arrived there himself. One burst with surprising force, blowing a human-sized hole in the top of the structure, while the other erupted into a cloud of dark, billowy smoke.

Toya jumped again when he reached the top, dropping perfectly into the opening he’d created and striking out at the first dazed guards within his reach. The smoke obscured everyone’s field of vision, forcing his opponents to rely on sound alone to locate him.

By then, he’d already have incapacity the majority of them and been well on his way to the temple to meet up with the others. And with a little luck and good execution on Ryou’s end, the tower would end up in a pile of rubble shortly after.
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Klee » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:21 am

Three minutes.

"Right..."

Ryou was good at pretending not to feel things he actually was feeling, but on this particular occasion, he hardly bothered to even fake confidence. He'd thought three minutes was a stretch. Toya wanted this accomplished in one.

The heavy thought followed him the enter way through to the tower's interior watchroom, even if Toya had taken care of the rest of his worries for this first segment. Above him, metal screeched, bodies thudded against rock and blood pattered.

He unfurled the heavy scroll with panicked fingers, tacking it wide against the the wall almost effortlessly, the chakra imbued in the seal clinging to stone the moment it was exposed. He turned his back with confidence, knowing that the tag would inevitably be detonated now, and relieved that he'd made it thus far without strife. Now he just had to get out.

He had two minutes.

Ryou scrambled from the inside without another moment's hesitation but his antics were no longer to go completely undetected. Two unsuspecting guards spun in place as he landed on the tower's observation border, drawing silver and giving chase. Ryou bolted and lightning spindles crashed from above, piercing through his skull and knocking both men down before the flash had faded back into smoky darkness. The blackness didn't last long - three magnificent bursts later, Ryou had propped up three walls of fire, impeding any soldiers who had answered the call of his commotion. He twisted around the corner, lining himself up with the direction of the temple.

Chakra clung to the soles of his feet as he ascended up the tower's wall, reaching a turret void of any movement. A smirk playing with relief crossed his face, but as did a sigh - he knew he could have counted on Toya to do away with the entirety of the threat, but this also meant he'd been slower. He'd have to reach the temple on his own. Should have expected that too - one and a half minutes remaining.

He sprung into his first jump, darting from the tower to the head of a lower building and then another. At that point a knife shredded through the air but didn't meet its target, another vertical bolt of electricity crashing down and knocking the blade off it's course like a bird struck by lightning. His heart missed a beat or two, but he stuck with his path, eyes locked onto the telltale sign of the temple's distinct roof.

Ryou's skidded across terracotta, his breath only catching up to him moments later. He glanced up, meeting three faces. And strangely enough, quiet.
No collected signs of relief. No shrieks, of panic or anger. Not even on Kyuuen's part. Looked like he'd made it. He smiled.

"Right, where were we."

He'd never before appreciated just how long three minutes were.

Klee

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:13 am

Etched into Kyuuen's right shoulder blade was a barrel cactus with a gorgeous blooming flower on its crown. She had seen one in the desert as a child, enamored by its beauty and plumpness in such a barren expanse.

It's exact replica slid across her shoulder and off from her hand as she completed her handsign cycle. The tiny ball of a cactus tumbled across the wall in front of her, growing in size with each revolution, the petals of the flower flagging behind it. Soon it was twice her size, the width of the wall barely enough to support the rolling cactus. Nobility soldiers dove off the edge, gripping onto the sides or letting themselves plummet. Others were not quite so quickly and found themselves impaled by the cactus spikes.

Kyuuen flipped through more signs.

The cactus stopped its roll as it neared the tower, the flower staying on the top of itself. Two beady eyes appeared in the center of the cactus and arms and legs sprouted from its round body. Kyuuen vaulted to its head and nestled herself on the flower.

The cactus berserker shoved itself forward, swinging spiked fists into the armored defenders of the Seven Valleys. Kyuuen stay safely perched, hurling shuriken when the openings presented itself. Pikes and swords buried into the flesh of the cactus, but it was unphased.

Down the length of the wall, red lightning crackled in a tight spiraling spindle. It flashed.

"Time to go!"

Kyuuen hurled herself off the top of the cactus, aiming to catch herself on the interior edge of the wall. The cactus shrunk behind her, sliding onto her hand and back to its home on her shoulder, the dull burning pain from the damage it took eating at her joint.

The lightning streaked across the edge of the wall in a single scar of light, impacting the tower in the blink of an eye. A chaotic thunderstorm erupted inside the tower, filling every corner with jagged power.

As quick as it began, it was gone.

Kyuuen vaulted herself up, watching as Moxie unfurled her own scroll across the base of the tower and signaling for them to move. Both girls followed along the interior side of the wall until there was a high enough building to transfer, their nimble figures skipping across the rooftops of the Seven Valleys.

They were at the temple first. Kyuuen had to admit she was worried Ryou may not be making it there, that even with all of Toya's power and ruthlessness that he was going to fall behind in an extreme operation like this one. But only a minute fater Toya's arrival, he came to a skidding halt.

"Right, where were we."

"Psh, don't act so nonchalant."

"Heads down. Ryou, Kyuuen, trigger it."

Kyuuen nodded, aiming her eyes at her feet while her hand signs fell into place. Each of the scrolls were chakra-locked to their own specific signature, which meant only they could set them off. And if training had been right, these were not the kinds of explosives you wanted to be looking at when they went off.

Her cycle finished first. The scroll on the first tower erupted, like a thousand thundercracks roaring at once with a shockwave so intense that she felt it passing through her chest. The flash from the blast was intense, even without a direct gaze. Moxie and Ryou's both went off at the same time, adding to the cacophony and the radiance.

After a moment Kyuuen dared to look up.

The wall smoldered, the rock and metal so hot that it was pooling in dull orange globs. Huge tears ran down the wall, as if some sort of massive monster had clawed at it. Dust and smoke filled the air and the screams of the civilians shrilled from every corner of the city.

Suna-nin and Westlanders were starting to swarm through the holes in the wall.

Moxie couldn't help but feel a sudden jolt of excitement. Her call had gone well. Their advance to the enemy stronghold would be much faster now.

But that also meant they had less time to get the hostages out.

"Move."

The team sprung off the temple and down to the next building, rushing across rooftops. They reached a length of apartments with flat tops for the Heroes to dash across.

The leader spotted four figures scrambling up the sides of one of the buildings, each of them dressed in lightweight clothes and light armor on their shoulders and chest, each with a satchel tied around their torsos.

"Messengers! Take them! Meet at the next rendezvous!" The next point was a bun shop that was a Suna spy safehouse and was prepared for their arrival.

For a split second she wished she had tapped into her Kyoumougan to check on that decision, but it was too late, the order was given and the team was already breaking apart, each hunting after a target. It would be fine. It was a waste of chakra to check every decision.

One peeled off hard to the left and Moxie signaled that she would persue. Her messenger was both quick and clever, spotting his persuer and deciding that he lacked the conditioning to outrun her directly. He slipped over the edge of the next building, skidding down the side of the alley until he was low enough to spring to a balcony, then vaulted over that and onto a stack of boxes. The stack teetered and fell, but not before the messenger used the tipping structure to lean him closer to the ground, giving him momentum to break into his run at street level.

All very impressive for a man with no shinobi training. Moxie simply walked on the side of the wall, cutting down it in a sharp diagonal and reaching the ground only a heartbeat behind the messenger.

They were aware of her presence and perhaps of her importance. If he got away, who knew what sort of preparations they would make.

The only advantage the messenger was going to have was knowledge of the city, which meant that Moxie was going to have to keep him in line of sight and hope her advantageous physical conditioning would allow her to catch him.

He turned sharply around corners and scrambled over walls, but Moxie was simply too quick.

Finally he cornered himself in an empty lot of the city, a square of nothing amidst several large apartment buildings. He reached the side of one building and tried to make his way up it, but skid back to the ground a moment later. Moxie skid to a stop.

"I don't want to kill you. Just stay still and I'll knock you out."

Moxie's hands snapped with lightning.

The messenger spun around, his hand holding a long chain with a long blade attached to the end. It whipped down hard and fast, aiming for Moxie's neck. The Saihoushi stepped back, jabbing the lightning into a tiny bolt that knocked the blade off-course. Moxie was ready to find new lightning and send it into the messenger, but she felt something wriggle at her feet.

Four chains shot up from beneath her, shrieking upward. They twisted together above her, then head in opposite directions to tighten the snare around her.

Moxie dove out of the trap, keeping crouched low to avoid the swiping chain. The ground wriggled again and four more chains sprang out, these leaping like vipers for her jugular.

A strip of shimmering white fabric unleashed itself from its spool, whipping in a wide circle until all four heads of the chains were in the perimeter. The fabric choked down around the chains, gathering them into a cord of linked iron. With a surge of chakra, Moxie shoved the chains into the ground, burying their heads. But the chains were pulling back, struggling against her.

The chains were also chakra-controlled.

"Hahaha, stupid child! See a few messengers and not realize it was a trap? How naive."

The first four chains, along the one in the messenger's hand, spread out and struck down at her from all angles. Moxie's second hand flared out the other spool of chakra conductive fabric, whipping it in tight motions to keep battering the bladed chains away. The other bundle continued to struggle in her first one, pulling Moxie off-balance this way and that.

The grouped chains hurled themselves backwards, freeing themselves from the dirt, while the others snaked to the ground and wrapped around her legs. Moxie felt a falling pit of panic in her stomach and she reached for Raikenkire at her front, but her arms were already ensnared. Now holding her firmly, the chains picked Moxie up high, then slammed her into the ground.

"Heh, I was thinking this was gonna be hard, but look at you, already bound to me. I will enjoy killing you."

Moxie was risen into the air again, then slammed.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Toya ripped the blood-coated knife from the man’s back and immediately crouched down beside the fresh corpse. His hand reached into the satchel at the fallen messenger’s side, feeling around and pulling out a bundle of papers. Completely blank papers.

His already heightened sense of danger sent off alarms in his head. He nearly struck out at a figure that dropped to the floor just a couple of feet to his side.

Geez, approaching a Nanaya so quietly is just asking for it.

His gaze traveled past Kyuuen, honing in on a nearby rooftop where Ryou was just finishing his own search of his target’s body, also discovering nothing of note from the look of it.

No way in hell Moxie was having more trouble chasing down a decoy messenger than Ryou had. His friend spotted them a moment later, quickly joining the rest of his allies.

I think Moriko followed something worse than a simple waste of time. Follow my lead, alright? It’s our job to cover for our leader if she gets herself or any of us in trouble. Let’s go.

--

The swarm of chains raised their helpless victim for the third and possibly final time, prepared to drive her into the ground with vicious force and shatter every bone in her body.

The wind had other ideas. Powerful gusts blew across the open lot, chakra manipulating the air into slicing blades and severing each of the metallic shackles binding Moxie’s limbs with ease. Toya intercepted her falling figure mid-descent, his arms wrapping around it securely before his feet touched down on the stone opposite the chain-wielding “messenger’s” position.

Kyuuen!

Nothing more needed to be said. Before their surprised adversary could fully react to the newly developing situation, columns of thorn-ridden vines collapsed on him from his left and right, snaring his legs in place and moving to engulf his entire form.

Toya placed Moxie down on her feet after her confirming her ability to stand, satisfied with his teammate’s control of the battlefield. Ryou stood nearby at his other side, watching the bound man carefully and ready to make a move if he pulled out any new tricks somehow.

That’s not like you, Moriko. You’re supposed to be the one lecturing me about reckless action.

He grinned at her and drew his hunting blade, holding it loosely in his right hand in preparation for their next confrontation. Not a trace of worry about the current situation showed in his eyes. Only a tranquil confidence.

It’s good to have teammates you can trust in completely, huh?

...not that he wasn't fully prepared to step in and crush the remaining threat if the other two couldn't handle it for any reason, of course.
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Klee » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:26 am

Had it not been for Toya's presence, Ryou could safely say that he certainly wouldn't have made it this far into their mission. Now he knew that the same thing held true for Moxie.

Toya had effortlessly freed the "messenger's" captive and Kyuuen had moved to root him to the spot, but neither's efforts had completely worked to completely hinder the man's capabilities.

Their attacker stirred and the ground surged and chains, ten in all, some severed and others whole with their bladed tops, shrieked from the floor, lashing out into a frenzied chase in all directions, some poised for him, others for Kyuuen and Toya and Moxie. Others slashed wild through empty space.
Ryou's heart skipped a beat and his hands tore into handsigns and the dancing chains were set alight, illuminated by beads of sun chakra gleaming out of every link. The suns burst like fireworks, reducing the messenger's arsenal to molt rock and silver dust in a sequence of blinding explosions. The remains crashed and cluttered to the ground, as did the recoiling assaulter, skin burned and shining raw from solar exposure everywhere where thorns hadn't been covering it.

Exhaling with relief, he lowered his arms, turning his head from the subdued attacker to Kyuuen, "I...think that should have him, all yours if you want to silence him any further."

He stepped past her, swiftly angling his glance away from Toya and Moxie's reunion, upon catching the uh...possibly sentimental nature. He cleared his throat.

"Is she okay? We right to go?"

He held his hand resting on his medic pack anyway, just in case.

Klee

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:30 am

Kyuuen gave the vine tattoo one twist around the messenger's neck, then let the ink shrink back onto her arm. She hissed and waved it sharply, as if trying to fling something disgusting from her.

"Just as a reminder, all damage inflicted on the tattoos turns into pain when they return!"

She bit off the rest of her complaining and rubbed her arm. It was just imaginary pain; no real damage. She had to force it out of her head, shunt it out of her concentration, even though the intensity of Ryou's sundrops were more burning than anything else she had ever felt.

Moxie snarled and strode sharply away from Toya, her hands raised and at her side ready to fight. It was infuriating beyond belief to think that she had let herself be tricked so easily. Worse that she, the leader, had forced her teammates into helping her and in endangering in the mission in the process. It was only luck that the trap was so simple. An added layer of sophistication, just one more attacker or one hidden explosive note, would've been the end of all of them.

She couldn't make that sort of mistake again.

Moxie breathed, letting the air settle tranquilly into her lungs. No anger, no frustration, only cold focus.

"Thanks for the save, all of you. It was a mistake I won't make again. Everyone stay closer together."

She inclined her head and the team moved as one, vanishing down the street and leaving the twisted remains of the first messenger behind.

The bun shop was not much farther from their location, and amidst the chaos of deploying troops and retreating civilians, no one tried to stop them. The shop was abandoned when Moxie got there, though everything was where it was promised.

A secret compartment behind an oven that led into an underground room.

A set of supplies that the team quickly hoisted onto their bodies, adding bulky packs to where the scrolls previously hung, save for Toya who now had to carry both.

A map of their stretch of one of the seven valleys, with a line marked in red. Moxie committed it to quick memory, handing it to Toya who did the same.

"We need to get through this point now." Kyuuen jabbed her finger on the map, circling it around where two thick lines were intersecting the red path. An interior defense gate, used to slow down seiges and mount counter-attacks. With the cracks in the wall, the invasion would be advancing much faster than anticipated. Moxie understood the point; they needed to get through before they decided to try and shore up their defenses.

"Right, we move now. Don't stop for anything, we have to get to the other side of that gate."

The street was brimming with people crushing against each other, each shoving their way toward the gate. Soldiers were waving hands and weapons and flags, each yelling at the top of their lungs in a vain attempt to keep order. The panic in their eyes was apparent: they had to get as many people as they could through the gate before shutting it, but shut it too late and the entire civilian population would be exposed to the invading army.

One yelled for the doors to be shut.

They started their grind, the massive gears within the wall scraping against each other to turn the slabs of stone and wood shut. The opening grew narrower and narrower and the stream of people had to move much faster through the gap. Belongings started to fall into the street - wagons and baskets and satchels, all spilling over onto the dust of the street.

The end of the line of refugees saw a girl with too much strapped to her back and a black scarf swaddled around her neck and face. The doors slowly merged toward her as she walked a little too slowly through the gap. Two of the guards started for her, both yelling for her to move on.

Both cried out in surprise when the Iron Knight sprouted into existence, towering twenty feet tall with arms powerful arms that reached out to each door and grasping it. The gears groaned and ground together, leaving them propped open.

Kyuuen's knives snapped out and lashed out in tight circles at the two guards that had charged heedlessly at her. The blades found small arcs to trace along their chests, gashing through armor and opening lines of crimson.

The rest of the team dove from the shadows and into the emptied street. Moxie shot past, leaping off the back of one injured guard and over the Iron Knight to the other side of the doors where she drew her golden blade, brandishing it high. There were screams and cries of confusion and the rushing sound of a crowd going into panic. Nearby guards drew their own blades, taking swipes at the Saihoushi girl, but her blade was too quick. She moved with savage efficiency, twisting her entire body into each strike, chopping the golden sword through armor chunks and splitting the flesh beneath.

Toya was right behind her, leaping off the back of the second injured guard and vaulting from the Iron Knight - though instead of darting behind Moxie he rocketed up the side of the door, heading for the top of the wall where the gears were.

He was going to try and break the door open permanently.

Kyuuen turned her attention back to the street, waiting for Ryou's move in, but he was still out there. Three guards had emerged from their defensive points and positioned themselves between Ryou and the gate, each armed with a long spear.

"You idiot, what the hell are you doing! Just make a run for it!"

But he didn't. He stood there with half a set of handsigns formed, eyes darting from one enemy to another. As he did that, two more soldiers appeared behind him, closing in the trap.

Kyuuen's teeth bit hard enough to crush a brick. Moxie was still slaying soldiers on the other side and Toya was ascending to disable the door controls. Kyuuen couldn't let up her focus yet - the Iron Knight needed all of her attention.

Damnit!

If Ryou could just hold on a few seconds, then she could do something...

Or he could man up and take care of it himself!

Kyuuen felt herself pushing her fingers hard into the hilts of her knives.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:54 pm

Toya grimaced as his fingers latched onto the top of the wall. Having slightly miscalculated just how tall the structure was and how high he could leap, he quickly corrected his mistake and used his powerful arms to pull the rest of his weight over the side and onto the gate’s summit.

Steel gears turned and grinded against each other, though the motion had nearly halted completely, the metal shrieking in protest as the force of Kyuuen’s chakra creation forced the doors into an open position despite the effort.

He scanned the mechanisms for a brief moment before jabbing the tip of his blade into one, two, and then a third piece of the device, shattering key components until the entire process collapsed into chaos and was rendered unable to function properly. The Iron Knight’s effort could now be turned to combat with the gate unable to swing back into its shut position.

Glancing down at the scene below him, the hunter groaned at the sight of Ryou surrounded by a handful of weapon-brandishing guards. What the hell was that idiot still doing on this side of the entrance…

His left hand quickly pulled a pair of throwing knives from the belt running across his torso as he stepped to the very edge of the wall and carefully assessed his options. With two quick flicks of his wrist, the blades soared at a downward angle with incredibly velocity and accuracy, each digging into the chest of a guard standing at Ryou’s backside.

Come on, man, I can’t risk throwing at the ones standing right in front of you. Damn moron…

If Moxie or Kyuuen couldn’t help him in time, Toya would have to get down there quickly and take care of the rest of the obstacles. He prepared to leap back over the edge and run down the side of the wall when a trio of sword-wielding men appeared in his peripheral vision, charging along the side of the wall in an already failed attempt to stop the intruder from disabling the gate controls.

The hunter raised his weapon and waited for them to reach striking distance, darkness clouding his eyes.

I don’t have time for this. Better hope my friend doesn’t end up dead, or I’ll be back to do more than incapacitate you all.
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Klee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:35 am

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Why was he so stupid?

That was all that was going through his mind. Why wouldn't his damn legs, hands - anything, move? Why did it always happen like this? Always got stuck in a rut like this, let the whole team down, all and only because of his own indecisveness. Twenty to one. Needing Toya and now even Kyuuen to bail him out of it.

And he didn't even have the time to kick himself over it. Toya's comments and further assurances fell on deaf ears. The city's guards menaced, Ryou bolted.

Toya had already given him an opening. And blood racing, he took it.

Backwards.

Ryou knew the move was a bad one from the first step, but the delay in turning to face his chasing adversaries now would cost him the time he needed to launch an assault. So he kept running. All the way until he was up against the wall's edge.

Boots pounded nearer, his armored opponents gaining whatever distance he'd lost them. And he was stuck in another corner.

Shit.

Fire Release

Flames exploded from the darkness and blared ahead of him, the blazing wall rising between him and his persuers. A last ditch, last second stupid move to try and keep them separate them, and protect himself. Stupid move. What was he thinking?

All it hindered was their sight. They didn't need that when they had him right where they wanted him.

Steel soared through dancing red, knives burning with all the heat of his own fire. Ryou stepped aside, and the first blade tacked itself to stone with a sizzle. The second tore through skin on the top of his arm, another the side of his chest, and his teeth clenched groan splutered into a shriek, and he was almost blinded with the pain of hell.

Shit. So much for being the hero here, or standing on his own feet at all.

Klee

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:31 pm

"Ryou!"

Moxie hopped upward, snapping a kick into another soldier, sending him staggering into the cluster behind him.

She had gained good ground in her offensive through the gate, and though Ryou was cut off she was reluctant to give it up. It might be too hard to recover if they completely disengaged now.

But Kyuuen wasn't going to budge from that door until Ryou was back in formation.

The world flashed gold for a moment, Moxie peeking through the Kyoumougan as quickly as she could. Threads of the future dangled in front of her, waiting to be tugged at and to change the fate of Ryou Yutaka forever.

She grinned mischeivously and wiggled her fingers.

Chakra threads swarmed across the bodies of the fallen, wriggling their way past armor and to the clothing beneath, stripping away long swathes. Garment after garment dissolved and melded into the ever-growing multi-colroed snake until it coiled several times around Moxie's frame. The snake became a temporary weapon, lashing out at approaching soldiers and deflecting attacks.

She stole one last scarf.

"Toya!"

The snake leapt up, stretching to the top of the gate. Toya snagged the end of the rope and vanished from sight, pulling it along with him. Moxie had seen in her vision that Toya would know what to do with it, though why he would was still a bit of a mystery to her...

Toya vaulted himself over the other end of the gate and Moxie leapt up. The two served as the counterweights to one another, Toya's heavier frame dragging Moxie up to the top of the gate while he was lowered. He dropped himself from the side and rushed back into the fray that Moxie left behind, keeping their ground secured.

Moxie let out a breath of relief when she saw the top of the gate secured and destroyed. If this was going to work, it was going to take all of her focus.

She shut her eyes and started cycling through handsigns. Not any technique that she knew, just handsigns to keep her chakra focused. She flowed it through her body, focusing it on the seal, thinking of the pathway into her network as it had once joined her to her father. Instead of drawing out of it, she pushed through it, driving her chakra into the seal along with her mind.

Ryou's body came into focus. It was a feeling she couldn't describe, her mind split into two places at once, feeling the flood of emotions from another person and the control of their chakra. Ryou's presence was so burningly bright, so volitile and passionate that Moxie was in awe of it.

But she had to gain control of it immediately.

Her charka flared inside him, and the Saihoushi combat suit immediately stiffened around his body, creating protective armor. The last pieces of striking metal struck off the fabric and clattered harmlessly to the sides. She could feel Ryou's confusion and panic, wondering why he wasnt' dead and wondering how he could still get out of it.

Moxie pushed her chakra further through the clothes, tightening them around his limbs. Like one of the Thread Golems she had used so many times before, Ryou now moved under her will. The wall of flames rushed past him as he dove across them, the attackers scattering. Ryou's body moved in ways it had never done before, spinning around an incoming sword and slamming his forearms into the wrist to force the blade to drop. He then whriled around, striking the forearm to the back of the soldier's head, his helmet clanging against the stiffened sleeve.

Using the momentum of the strike, Ryou finished his turn and leapt, his legs kicking out one after the other to barrage an attack into the stomach of the next soldier. Stunned, the soldier bent over from the force, allowing Ryou's elbow to drive into his nose. Bone shattered and blood sprayed.

The path was clear and Moxie let the connection go, gasping out as she did. Ryou hesitated for only a moment before hurling himself headlong down the street.

"Faster you idiot, faster!"

A shadow passed over Ryou's head. The cactus defender from before landed behind Ryou, swiping his spikey hands at the soldiers to keep them back. The Iron Knight started to lean back on the doors as Ryou approached. The cactus defender flashed back into ink, Kyuuen gripped her arms around Ryou, bathing him in emerald light, and the Knight leaned back, slamming the doors shut again.

Moxie leapt back over the side of gate, dropping behind Toya. He had pushed the line back even further, keeping the perimeter wide and thin.

She glanced at Kyuuen, who gave her a quick nod. Ryou was healed.

"Toya, now!"

Moxie rose her hands above her head, lightning crackling in her palms. She clapped them together hard, and the area was filled with a blinding flash of light. The soldiers blinked the light from their eyes, each hesitating.

When the light cleared, the Heroes of Suna were gone.

- - -

The key had been to push back the enemy so that Toya could reach the manhole cover in the ground.

During the flash, the Nanaya hunter could move and act completely without sight, and drew up the cover, yanked Kyuuen, Ryou, and Moxie into the opening, then closed it behind them, all within a few seconds.

Their plummet was not pleasant, each of them landing in a shallow pool of water and filth. Moxie herself let out a long 'yeaaauch' and tried to remember a time when everything didn't stink.

They crawled through the sewers, underneath the roiling war above them, following the waste of the nobility all the way to its source.

It actually smelled better when they were in the sewers directly beneath the House of Hazama. Mostly water with grates to keep people like them from slipping in or out, but nothing a little plasma couldn't handle. They even found a spot to wash themselves in clean water, removing much of the conspicuous smell.

Soon they were beneath the main ballroom, peering through a grate in the ground.

Kyuuen bit into her lip, staring at the noble captives. Supporters of Suna, those who wanted to help them, and they were all being held in a ballroom. There were more than Kyuuen had thought, more than intelligence had expected. It would make getting them out of there a lot more complicated.

There was a nobleman striding amongst the others who was too proud and too comfortable to be a prisoner. There were soldiers lining the walls, but none seemed too worried about this nobleman's safety. Not that this collection of wealthy, spoiled children had any combat ability.

"I wonder how much longer you're going to defy me like this, Sora-chan."

Kyuuen felt her heart lurch.

"The conditions are simple. Agree to marry me, and I'll make sure your mother gets all of the help she needs, and I will make sure the rest of these...rabblerousers, are let free. I have that kind of power. And, I suppose, so do you."

Sora stood in the center. Kyuuen remembered the girl, the sparkling hair and the winter-blue dress and all the poise and elegance that Kyuuen would never have. She still had poise and elegance, but it was dressed very differently.

There was no gown, no coiffed hair. She wore a simple white dress with blue markings, her hair drawn into a crude braid. But she still stood the same, her eyes still had a sapphire hardness to them, and her voice was commanding.

"In life, there are things that you have to choose to believe in that are bigger than yourself. Things that are more important than your safety or your happiness. Had you asked me to marry you a year ago, Hanto, I...I might have. But not today. I will not do one more thing that the other families demand. I will not support this war. I will defy you to the very last-"

The slap across her cheek was sickening. Her head twisted sharply, her braid whipping behind her. The nobleman, Hanto, sneered.

"You arrogant bitch, how dare you! Your childish ideologies don't have a place in the real world! You try to look past our way of life and past your station and all it will yield you is-"

There was another crack, this time Sora slapping Hanto. Kyuuen saw several guards step forward. One guard snickered. Hanto rubbed his face, as if it was the first time he had ever felt pain.

"You will regret that."

Hanto reached out and grabbed her by the shoudlers, twisting her around. One hand caught the top sleeve of her dress, tearing it downward.

"Kyu."

"Already working on it."

Kyuuen pressed her chakra into the water surrounding them, through all the water beneath the ballroom vent.

Bubbles swarmed through in a crystaline, dazzling display. Every vent gushed them, filling the room withing seconds. There were strange noises of combined surprise and laughter from every corner of the room.

Toya would burst first, moving to strike down as many guards as he could in the initial attack. Ryou and Moxie's job was to secure the nobility and gather them together while Kyuuen monitored, preparing to support either side in each task.

Moxie would let Ryou tear Hanto from Sora.

He seemed eager to do it.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Uchiha Sasuke » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:32 am

Toya moved with deadly efficiency, spinning on his heel and unleashing a torrent of bladed projectiles in multiple directions. They soared with unnerving precision, the majority of them managing to find weak and unarmored portions of their targets’ bodies and burrow directly into flesh.

Moxie and Ryou broke off one way towards the largest concentration of nobility, herding as many as possible to one end of the spacious room and keeping any nearby guards at bay as they moved. Kyuuen stood closer to the hunter’s position, waiting to assist him or the others when necessary.

The shinobi shifted his grip on his Nanaya blade and turned to face any of the remaining opposition.

Mommy, why can’t I catch the sparkly balls?!

Kokoro, stop!

A small girl with raven hair and sparkling blue eyes skipped into Toya’s field of vision, arms extended high into the air and giggling as she tried to catch the ethereal bubbles still floating through the air. A young noble woman followed frantically a few feet behind, golden brown hair flowing past her shoulders as she struggled to keep up with the energetic child.

So much for all the nobility gathering to one end of the ballroom. These stragglers were about to make things very difficult for their potential rescuers.

Toya blinked forward the same instant a group of remaining guards chose to intercept their captives. Their focused switched from retrieval to execution upon seeing him, raising swords and spears. With no urgent reason to spare all of their prisoners, they paid no heed to the possible collateral damage in killing the two females in the process.

He shoved the woman to the ground, trading the slight injuries he might cause for the fatal wound she would have otherwise sustained. His knife cleaved through a pair of spears before digging into the chests of their wielders. He crouched low and snatched the child with his free arm, pulling her close and immediately sending a surge of chakra throughout his body.

An oddly metallic clanging filled the room as a vicious slash of a sword deflected off his back, the nunojutsu-enhanced material of his suit reacting in time to save him. Before he could turn to finish off his remaining assailants, the sound of an armored body hitting the floor froze his movement. Kyuuen stood behind him, the guard lying at her feet. The look on her face was a bit too smug, considering he’d still done most of the work...

Thanks. Check the woman for injuries and help me get these two over to the rest of their group. Moriko and Ryou seem too have their end under control.

Toya stood and released his grip on the girl who stared up at him with an eerily innocent grin still plastered on her face, as if the carnage around them was non-existent. He batted at a small swarm of bubbles around his head, the diversion starting to irritate him more than it had distracted their targets.

…what?

Can you help me catch a sparkly ball?!
Uchiha Sasuke

PostPosted by Klee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 pm

"Bastard!"

Ryou's face was red. The color had only just begun to wane too, after all the implications of the last confrontation and Moxie's choice method of rescuing him, and yet now it burned brighter. His face was angled with an innate rage, flame in his belly.

He hurtled himself into the ballroom's center as Toya and Kyuuen and Moxie seized control of the scene and guards plummeted to the floor around him. He shoved and tore the weighty away from Sora by the silk of his yukata and with a strength and ferocity he hadn't even known he'd had until ten minutes ago. Hanto stumbled backwards, genuine shock coursing his face, hands lashing and calling for the guards Toya had already disposed of. Ryou didn't relent.

The fire in his eyes burst into reality ahead of him, flames clinging to silk. Hanto shuddered and screamed and he moved like a dan. Electric current, volts above what his usual output, rained down. The spindle caught Hanto at the base of his neck and pierced through, scrambling his nervous system, charring through his spine.

"You won't walk again for that. More importantly, you won't be using your hands to touch a lady like that again, scum."

Hanto crashed to the floor, body no longer supported by his legs. He twisted his head, attempting to roll around and smother the last of the flames dancing on his back into the carpet.
Ryou stilled the pitiful struggle, stepping his own foot onto the spluttering man's chest.

His glared down, eyes ablaze.

"I should incinerate your throat too, make sure you won't ever be speaking to one like that either."

He spat every word, the fact that he neither had neither the time nor the chakra capacity to dawdle on something so...trivial when the remainder of his teammates were now at work settling the remainder of the secured hostages only then beginning to dawn on him through all the haze. Lucky Hanto.

"...just be thankful that I think that kinda thing's too violent to do in front of the lady."

Ryou didn't know exactly when or why - be it a result of the trauma or the fear which answered his unforgiving expression - Hanto fell unconscious, but he stopped there. Right. Hostages.

He stepped off the limp body, dug one more kick into Hanto's side, and rushed to Sora.
Periwinkle ballgown or not, she was just as radiant and perfect as he remembered her. Ugh, how that guy could even think to...

"Sora, you alright? He didn't..."

Ryou scanned her enticing frame, hands already alight with medical chakra, ready for even the faintest sign of physical damage. But there were no such imperfections to be found, and Sora's smile remained untainted above all other things.

In the face of it, the furious fire burning away in his stomach was at last extinguished. He smiled at her.

"No? Nice slap by the way, then. Now, let's get you out of here, Milady."

He led her to where Moxie had gathered the remaining hostages to occupy the section of the ballroom, by the arm.

Klee

Next

Return to Wind Country