The Land Before Time | [Raika]

The open land between civilization. Deserts, forests, volcanoes, canyons, rivers, rails. Have a good journey.

Re: The Land Before Time | [Raika]

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:03 am

For a long time after he finished speaking, or at least it felt like a long time, Omoi was silent, unmoving.

Then, "For being ninety-one, you are not as wise as most others might be by the time they reach that age."

She paused again, mulling over her thoughts.

"No matter the species or the time... no life wishes to end. All wish to live, and keep living. You, me. Even the smallest ant. I take life for food, kill to protect what is dear, kill to take revenge for harm to what is dear.... Everyone is selfish in some way. Wanting to live is one of the lesser varieties. Wanting to not be alone.... That shows you have a heart."

She looked over her shoulder at him now, the look in her eyes still as alien as ever, but softer, calmer.

"Dokutoru-san, there's someone I can never leave alone, someone I can never be without. The thought of him losing me again... of me losing him again... is more than I can bear. So I must return to him. I must. But leaving you alone to die is not something I intend to do, either."
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

PostPosted by Oddric » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:10 am

Kurokku looked to the floor of the TASAM, nodding his head lightly. It was true, Kurokku was not as "wise" as most would be by the time they reached ninety-one. Though, according to his people, one reaches adulthood at ninety. He was still very young. The High Council had members who were near one thousand years old. Though, this was no excuse for Kurokku.

A faint smile grew on Kurokku's face. He was selfish, his motives were child-like, yet Omoi still accepted him. He would do well to change his outlooks a bit, but, maybe he wasn't a bad of a person as he thought. Maybe this was okay.

"Well, then I will return you to him." Dokutoru learned his lesson about mentioning Omoi's "boyfriend", so he would leave his statement at that. "This timeless abyss hasn't got anything on me!" he shouted, looking out the TASAM's doors as if he was directing his comment at the nothingness.

"All right," he rubbed his hands together walking just before the exit doors to the exterior of the TASAM, the chunk of meteorite it had disguised itself as. "So time doesn't exist here. Neither does anything else besides us. But how come we're moving? How can we talk?" He bit his lower lip, bringing his clasped hands up to his chin. "Our minds-- no, our souls! Our souls are what's keeping us moving! The spirit is a powerful thing inside of every living being. It doesn't need time or matter to exist, it is so much more complicated than that!" He spun on his heel, pointing a finger at Omoi. "The soul has connections to different planes of existence, if one knows how to access them, of course! Meditation, focus, faith, you name it! So that's how we're going to do it. That's the key to getting out of here-- our souls."

He sprung up the steps to the TASAM, turning to face Omoi. "No, scratch that. We're not getting out of here. We're going to move this nothingness abyss forward. If this is the single moment before the Big Bang, then we're going to do all of reality a favor. We're gonna jump start the universe. We are going to cause the Big Bang." A real grin showed on Kurokku's face, excitement in his eyes.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:05 pm

"Well, then I will return you to him."

A slight smile graced her lips. You'd better.

"This timeless abyss hasn't got anything on me!"

Ahh, Dokutoru-san was back to normal. Finally.

Sapphire eyes turned back to the abyss, silently pondering.

"All right. So time doesn't exist here. Neither does anything else besides us. But how come we're moving? How can we talk? Our minds-- no, our souls! Our souls are what's keeping us moving! The spirit is a powerful thing inside of every living being. It doesn't need time or matter to exist, it is so much more complicated than that! The soul has connections to different planes of existence, if one knows how to access them, of course! Meditation, focus, faith, you name it! So that's how we're going to do it. That's the key to getting out of here-- our souls."

Of course.

The soul, the very life source of all; why hadn't she thought of it? Had she been immersing herself to deeply in her research, so much that what had always been so obvious had slipped her mind? It was a disturbing thought....

"No, scratch that. We're not getting out of here. We're going to move this nothingness abyss forward. If this is the single moment before the Big Bang, then we're going to do all of reality a favor. We're gonna jump start the universe. We are going to cause the Big Bang."

Omoi turned to him, an eyebrow raised.

"That is the craziest thing I've ever heard you say."

Her eyebrow lowered and a feral grin spread across her lips.

"I like it. So, how do we go about this grand plan?"
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:04 pm

How to go about it... what a great question. Kurokku stopped to ponder what Omoi had asked. How was he going to cause the Big Bang? Their souls were the key here, but that's about all he had to work with. Hmm.

"Okay! Let's think about this." He leaned forward against the railing. "The biggest thing that this pre-Universe is lacking is time. There's no time. Nothing's moving, nothing's going forward, it's just still. Completely, utterly, still." Turning around, Kurokku placed a hand on the TASAM's central column. "I have a sort of sixth sense for time. And I can't feel it. I can't feel the time vortex, I can't feel present or past or future. It's just empty. My poor old girl... without time the TASAM's starved and dead."

Slipping his hand off the cylinder Kurokku moved down the steps, hand on his chin and chewing his lip. "That's what we need to do. This empty abyss is like... like a log. A simple piece of wood. And we need something to ignite it!" he shouted, clapping his hands together. "We need to introduce time to this timeless reality!"

Kurokku looked around, eyes scanning the dead TASAM as if he was searching for something. "Um..." eyes stopping at Omoi's feet he shrugged. "This will do."

He sprung over to Omoi, grabbing her hands. "Our souls are powerful things, Omoi. Stronger than we'll have know. But we can tap into them. Sit down with me." Dokutoru lowered himself to sit. "I want you to close your eyes and focus, Omoi. There is no noise, no distractions, just you and me." Kurokku kept his grip on Omoi's hands. If this was going to work, they needed to be in complete unison. "Focus on why you want to leave. Feel the emotions stir within you. Concentrate deeply. And I'll do it with you."

"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Meditation... this was something she could do.

But she would have to go deeper than simply entering her own mind.

She closed her eyes, tossed aside the feelings of panic she had had up till now, tossed aside her usual worries.

Tossed away everything, until she reached the very core of her being.

Otoha-kun.

She summoned up his face, his warmth, his touch, his voice. He called her soundlessly.

She called back.

Otoha-kun.

Love. Trust. Longing.

If she couldn't leave this place, she would never see him again.

Otoha-kun.

She wanted to see him again.

No.

She needed to, with every fiber of her being.

With every whisper of her soul.

She could feel it.

Otoha-kun.

Power was surging through her.

Otoha.

She would see him soon.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Ah, silence. Well, there was already tons of silence. But Kurokku could never mistake the utter silence of meditation. Omoi was quiet on a spiritual level.

Now it was Kurokku's turn.

"Why I want to leave..." Kurokku was barely audible. If Omoi had her inhuman hearing she would've heard him. It felt nice to have some verbal privacy. "The beautiful universe. It's so beautiful. So much to see, so much to learn, so much to do. I've barely scratched the surface of it all, and that's an understatement."

It was working. Slowly but surely he was slipping away into a trance-like state.

"And I love time. I love being able to manipulate it, travel to any point I want. It makes me feel alive. It makes me feel like I am more than just human. I feel empowered, wonderful..." everything had to come out, even if it was humbling, "...and adored by all I meet."

"Most importantly, I love Omoi." As a friend, of course. But at this level of mediation he couldn't be bothered to differentiate. "I can't leave her here. She's my responsibility. My friend. At the end of the day, I'd give all of my lives to save any friend." That was truth. His selfishness only went so far.

For a brief moment (disregarding the two currently exist in a timeless reality) Omoi and Kurokku would feel an amazing sensation. As if they had transcended from their bodies and went someplace warm, bright, and fantastic. And, just like, they snapped back to the pre-Big Bang abyss.

"Ah!" Kurokku's eyes opened as he felt something strange. It was that extra sense of his, his "time sense". It was like getting a whiff of something strange out of nowhere.

Removing his hands from Omoi, he took control of the situation. Clapsing his hands together, something tiny glowed within them. It glowed bright orange. "A single, very small, particle of artron energy-- the background radiation associated with time travel. Normally unseeable unless in great amounts, but since there's nothing else to shield it from view, it is visible. Plain as day! Our souls pulled it in thanks to my guidance. I was enginering the soul train, if you'd like to think of it like that." He chuckled, standing up but careful to keep his hands clasped. "Close the doors to the TASAM, Omoi." He had the fire to light the log. With this little spark, he could start the TASAM and then start the universe.

"This is going to be loud."

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:55 pm

She could feel... her life. The very essence of it.

Otoha!

And then, her eyes reopened, the feeling gone.

Orange glowed within Dokutoru-san's clasped hands.

"A single, very small, particle of artron energy-- the background radiation associated with time travel. Normally unseeable unless in great amounts, but since there's nothing else to shield it from view, it is visible. Plain as day! Our souls pulled it in thanks to my guidance. I was enginering the soul train, if you'd like to think of it like that."

Fascinating. Omoi rose to her feet as well, curiousity in her gaze. But, that was for another time. Or... whatever.

"Close the doors to the TASAM, Omoi."

She turned to the doors obediently, reaching out and pulling them shut, making sure they were secure.

"This is going to be loud."

Omoi grinned.

This was going to be exciting.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:33 pm

He leaped up the stairs the raised platform and stopped in front of the TASAM's control system. It was still frozen in place, so it had its usual brightness. The central column still shone orange, but it could not move. "All right. Here we go." Gingerly, Kurokku placed his hands against the central column, allowing the bright spark of artron energy to seep inside.

It was silent for a few "moments", Kurokku holding his breath. Or, you know, whatever. "Come on, girl. You know what to do with that. That's all you need to start back up. Just a little drop of juice. Come ooon." He bit his bottom lip, waiting.

Suddenly, almost like a lava lamp, the orange glow inside the cylinder began moving. Up and down, shining brighter and dimming, like a pattern.

"Here we go! Yes!" Kurokku jumped off the platform, rushing to the TASAM's doors. Not to open them, but to lean up against them. "The windows are still in place, don't peer outside the TASAM. No mortal was meant to see the fabric of reality born. Not even me." He looked to Omoi, nodding his head to draw her over to him. "It'll make you go crazy. You'll be changed forever. There will be no sanity for you, even after death. ...I'm guessing. You could be completely fine, but I really doubt it!"

As Omoi positioned herself next to the TASAM, the machine began to hum very loudly. It shook and sparks shot off from the console system like before. "The infinite nothingness outside is about to collapse into itself infinity fast! The TASAM acting as the central point, drawing it all in! She's a tough old girl, she won't be destroyed in the Big Bang!"

It was then that the duo felt a strange clenching feeling in their gut. This was the TASAM being put under incredible pressure, effectively forcing it to disguise itself as a single atom. No real harm befalling Omoi or Kurokku, though.

Then, suddenly, an incredible sense of relief came across the pair: they could breath. Their bodies were "alive" once more.

"That's it!" Dokutoru laughed, dashing to one of the windows. It still looked like a big abyss of nothing for the most part. But there were streaks of orange glow that flickered about, and the tiniest of particles that took up the empty space. "Minute one! The very beginning of creation! That... we caused. I suppose." He scratched at his cheek, his ego expanding a bit more.

He snapped his fingers, pointing at Omoi as he walked up the TASAM's steps backwards. "The pre-Big Bang happened in a single moment. Because we travel in the TASAM, exposed to the time vortex and other supernatural wonders of the universe, we can see reality differently than most. If we had a non-time traveler on board, they would forget everything that happened. It would all just be a compressed blur for them!" Kurokku spun on his heel, placing a hand on the central cylinder. "Still curious though, how the TASAM managed to get to that point. Hitting her didn't even make her pause. Huh."

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Sapphire eyes followed Dokutoru-san as he attempted to revive the TASAM.

And then... the light pulsed once more, steady as a heartbeat.

"Here we go! Yes! The windows are still in place, don't peer outside the TASAM. No mortal was meant to see the fabric of reality born. Not even me."

Omoi pouted for a moment. Killjoy. However, she shrugged it off, joined him with her back pressed against the door, and stared into the TASAM.

"It'll make you go crazy. You'll be changed forever. There will be no sanity for you, even after death. ...I'm guessing. You could be completely fine, but I really doubt it!"

...okay, the risk to her sanity was a good reason to NOT look outside. Casting off the last of her disappointment, she returned her attention to Dokutoru-san as he continued, "The infinite nothingness outside is about to collapse into itself infinity fast! The TASAM acting as the central point, drawing it all in! She's a tough old girl, she won't be destroyed in the Big Bang!"

Pressure.

Relief.

Omoi closed her eyes, fully enjoying the return of her senses to greatness; her scent and Dokutoru-san's, their heartbeats, the taste of the air.... Her eyes snapped open and she grinned.

"That's it!"

She was allowed to look outside now?

The human-formed dragoness practically scampered in delight to join Dokutoru-san at the window, staring out at the orange streaks in fascination.

"Minute one! The very beginning of creation! That... we caused. I suppose."

Omoi laughed gently. This was only going to make his ego even bigger. Though, Omoi couldn't help but enjoy the matter as well.

"The pre-Big Bang happened in a single moment. Because we travel in the TASAM, exposed to the time vortex and other supernatural wonders of the universe, we can see reality differently than most. If we had a non-time traveler on board, they would forget everything that happened. It would all just be a compressed blur for them!"

It was good that she had traveled with Dokutoru-san before, then, and been exposed to the time vortex and such. She would have hated to forget all that.

"Still curious though, how the TASAM managed to get to that point. Hitting her didn't even make her pause. Huh."

"Honestly, Dokutoru-san, not everything can be solved through violence," she laughed, though her gaze remained on the spectacle outside.

Fascinating.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:39 pm

"That wasn't violence!" he retorted. "It's mandatory! I promise, it says something about whacking the TASAM with a pipe somewhere in the manual..." Though, he never actual read the manual for the thing. In fact, Kurokku had probably tossed the thing out.

"Fate's a funny thing. Us getting drawn to the pre-universe was always meant to happen. I think the TASAM locked onto her own signal as we approached the beginning of creation, and then we hopped over. Then again, I'm just theorizing. It's the only thing that makes sense!" Or it could have just been the TASAM acting up again. When one had a machine that could manipulate time and space and jump to alternate realities, its potential power was unimaginable.

Hand still on the metal cylinder, Dokutoru went silent for a few moments. He then pulled away, taking a scroll from his inner suit and pulling it out. Still using only a single hand, he whipped it open. "The monks wanted something spiritual. I think I have it." He placed his other hand on the parchment, and a dim glow lit up the seal. "That was the particle of energy I used to start up the TASAM. The single particle that gave birth to this universe! If this doesn't impress them, I give up." He wouldn't actually give up, but his frustration would reach incredible heights.

"So." He shoved the furled scroll into his suit as he walked down the raised platform's steps. "Where to? Back to... wherever it was I picked you up?" Kurokku may have suggested the boy that she was so fond of, but she seemed a bit touchy on that subject. Women could be as sporadic and dangerous as the TASAM! Not that he would ever tell a girl that, or even hint to it. He'd probably get a proper smack across the face. Or an angry private message over the internet.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:27 pm

"That wasn't violence! It's mandatory! I promise, it says something about whacking the TASAM with a pipe somewhere in the manual..."

Psh....

When would he ever learn?

"Fate's a funny thing. Us getting drawn to the pre-universe was always meant to happen. I think the TASAM locked onto her own signal as we approached the beginning of creation, and then we hopped over. Then again, I'm just theorizing. It's the only thing that makes sense!"

Omoi chuckled softly at that, before something made her finally look over her shoulder at her time-travelling friend; the sound of silence. That was enough to make her wonder what was going through his mind.

"The monks wanted something spiritual. I think I have it. That was the particle of energy I used to start up the TASAM. The single particle that gave birth to this universe! If this doesn't impress them, I give up."

Another soft chuckle, a glance back out the window confirming nothing would be changing any time soon, and she turned to lean lightly against the wall of the TASAM.

"So. Where to? Back to... wherever it was I picked you up?"

Otoha.

She longed to see him. After everything that had happened, she wanted to relax in his arms, tell him everything, enjoy his reactions on the matter....

But something had to be done first.

Draconic sapphire eyes pinned Dokutoru-san with the paralyzing stare of a predator eyeing its prey, giving every sense that escape was impossible; if he turned around, if he broke eye contact, might lead to the sapphire predator pouncing.

She let him feel a few moments of pressure before she said softly, "Dokutoru-san... you said you would die soon. Tell me, what is that about? You yourself have said that you're young for your clan, so it couldn't possibly be a matter of age...."
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:52 am

Confusion spread across Dokutoru's face as Omoi stared him down. She was incredibly serious; it was frightening. He almost wanted to pick up that pipe for comfort.

"Oh, that," he responded, his tone lacking the usual luster. Dying was something he disliked talking about, but Kurokku owed her some explanation. He owed all of his traveling companions an explanation.

"My clan has a handful of people who travel around, gathering information, researching, learning. They often run into trouble and get seriously hurt. With all the traveling they do, it's basically inevitable. So, they have to regenerate once in a while to fix their body and prevent death. But I've talked with some of these researchers. Regenerating to them is just like dying. They get a new body, their mind and personality changes around, it's essentially a whole new person. Same memories and core values, but everything else is... gone." Kurokku stopped near the stair railing, tapping his fingers against it. "I was told by a prophet recently that I have a few responsibilities to owe up to-- that only I can stop it. I don't know what that is yet, but I can feel it coming. And I'm... well I'm a bit frightened. I've been bopping about for a while now; even before I actually left my village I was going on trips and adventures. My time is coming, it's only a matter of when."

The purple suited man shrugged, pushing off the railing and rubbing the back of his head. "Might die soon, might die later. Everyone dies, and death won't fully take me for quite some time. I probably shouldn't be so worked up about it, I have the blessing of multiple lives."

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:31 am

Once he had finished, the predatory look in her eyes vanished as her gaze softened.

"Dying is never something that should be taken lightly, Dokutoru-san. I think you're as worked up about it as you should be."

She pushed lightly off the wall, walked over to join him, now leaning against the rail, steadily meeting his gaze.

"So... when you die, you become a new person, basically, right? It's a scary thing to know that you're going to be forced to change when you don't want to.... So promise me this: if you can sense when it will happen, come get me beforehand. If you can't do that, then come find me after. Alright, Dokutoru-san?"

Omoi smiled, reached out and affectionately ruffled her friend's hair.

She winked. "Now you can drop me off where and roughly when you found me."
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Dokutoru didn't want to sound selfish, but he didn't honestly feel much comfort from knowing he would come back to life. He had many "lives", but he still had to die. He still had to change. If it wasn't the innate ability to want to survive, Kurokku would accept death sooner than have to regenerate 13 times. He was already 91-years-old, but he wasn't ready to actually die. The same could be said for his elders, but they were far older than himself.

His people lived way too long.

"New person... yeah. Like an alter ego, I'd say. A different color, but on the same spectrum. I'm... uh..." he looked down to his suit. "I'm purple. But when I regenerate I may be green, or red, or yellow. I can never really tell. But I won't be something totally different like... turnips." Strange example from a stranger man.

"Okay. If I have enough time before regenerating, I'll find you." Kurokku could potentially sense his approaching death, considering his relation to the universe. He had never been in the situation before, so he wasn't able to say.

Smiling, Kurokku went back to the control console, twisting knobs and pulling levers before letting the machine move forward a few billion years once more.

"Of course," he chuckled, the TASAM's groaning and shaking coming to a stop as they approached Omoi's destination. "I may look radically different. You'll have to be ready for anything after my regeneration. I will too, I suppose." He really wasn't looking forward to a change of appearance.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:16 pm

"New person... yeah. Like an alter ego, I'd say. A different color, but on the same spectrum. I'm... uh..." he looked down to his suit. "I'm purple. But when I regenerate I may be green, or red, or yellow. I can never really tell. But I won't be something totally different like... turnips."

Omoi couldn't help but smile at the strange comparation.

"Okay. If I have enough time before regenerating, I'll find you."

He was smiling again. That was better.

"Of course, I may look radically different. You'll have to be ready for anything after my regeneration. I will too, I suppose."

Omoi smiled, leapt up the steps, and hugged Dokutoru-san, a gentle laugh escaping her lips.

"I've learned to expect anything when I'm around you. Otherwise I'd be getting surprised every time I turned around!"

She released him with another laugh, affectionately ruffled his hair, and backflipped smoothly over the railing and back to ground level.

"I'll see you around. Right now it's about time I returned to him. Take care of yourself, Dokutoru-san."

Omoi flashed a smile up at her friend before she opened the doors and stepped out into her own time once more....
Raika

PreviousNext

Return to Rails, Roadways, and Waterways