The Land Before Time | [Raika]

The open land between civilization. Deserts, forests, volcanoes, canyons, rivers, rails. Have a good journey.

The Land Before Time | [Raika]

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Suddenly, the doors to the TASAM swung inward, Kurokku bounding inside and closing it shut behind him. "Okay... okay..." he whispered to himself, leaning against the closed doors. "Something spiritual. Something amazing. Something fantastic."

The gears in his mind spinning, he raced up the stairs of the central platform of the TASAM and circled the console system. "These Heartless Monks are so demanding-- what's more spiritual than time and space travel or time energy?! Who turns their nose up at that?"

Flicking a few switches, Kurokku ran his fingers along the metallic-colored railing along the raised platform. "Where can I find something spiritual? ...Oh!" He paused, an idea sparked in his head.

He was silent for nearly half a minute, biting his lower lip and wringing his hands in thought and contemplation. Some serious debating was going on. "I guess I should. If anything were to happen to me... hm..." Pulling a scroll from his inner jacket, Kurokku gripped it tight and applied chakra, causing it to glow a dim orange. "Ah-hah! Gotcha."

After setting the proper coordinates, the TASAM went through the usual song and dance, humming, shaking, vanishing, and reappearing. Kurokku had located Omoi's current location. Well, in the "present" anyway.

The TASAM would appear a short distance away from Omoi (disguised as something easily ignorable), alerting her with its groaning. The scroll that Dokutoru had given her earlier would have begun to glow anyway. She was probably well aware of his coming.

...Hopefully she didn't just toss the scroll in her room somewhere.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Re: The Land Before Time | [Raika]

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Well, this was rather different.

Omoi finished washing her hands as a stall groaned in the midst of the Ladies' Room in BOLT HQ, a brief flow of chakra drying them completely as she headed towards the stall in question, knocking twice.

If it hadn't been for Dokutoru-san's time-travelling capabilities, she never would have considered going anywhere without Otoha-kun at a time like this.

But, just in case it took a few hours, a Ryuujinscale note appeared on her beloved's hand where he waited:

Be back soon. Might take a few hours at most. Stay safe. -Omoi

The stall door swung open, Omoi slipped inside, it closed behind her....

It would probably be better that Dokutoru-san didn't know the specifics of where he had landed, so she simply grinned up at him, raised a hand in greeting, and asked, "What's up?"
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

PostPosted by Oddric » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:13 pm

All was silent in the TASAM again. Kurokku picked himself from off the floor, as this particular trip had managed to make him lose his balance. Immediately after doing this, Kurokku slid down the railing on the stairs and made his way for the door.

"Oh!" He stopped, as Omoi had beat him to the punch. Dokutoru had forgotten how comfortable Omoi was with the TASAM and Kurokku. She had been in and out of the machine several times and met with Kurokku on two separate occasions.

...Wait. Maybe the Yuki Ball hadn't happened for Omoi yet. Kurokku jumped around in time too much to be able to remember every date.

"Omoi! Wonderful! I guess my time-space scrolls work fine." He smiled at the dragonness, back tracking to the stair railing and leaning against it. "Um..." He tapped his fingers against the rail. "The Yuki Ball-- has that happened for you yet?" he raised an eyebrow. "I've never had more than a couple meetings with someone from outside of my clan. Time travel can get tricky. You may have gone on an adventure with me a week ago, but that hasn't happened yet for me. That's my future."

He'd explain why he needed Omoi's companionship in a moment, but making sure they were on the same page was important. "Just checking." He almost prayed that the Yuki Ball was still a few days away, or something to the like. It was still a sore subject for the time traveler.

"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:08 pm

"Omoi! Wonderful! I guess my time-space scrolls work fine."

She returned his smile with one of her own, joining him by the railing.

"Um... The Yuki Ball-- has that happened for you yet? I've never had more than a couple meetings with someone from outside of my clan. Time travel can get tricky. You may have gone on an adventure with me a week ago, but that hasn't happened yet for me. That's my future."

Omoi raised an eyebrow at that, fully aware that it was a possibility... but it wasn't this time. And Dokutoru-san's scent when he mentioned the ball....

"Just checking."

Sapphire eyes gentled, and she reached out and affectionately ruffled his hair.

"Yeah. It's happened. And stop blaming yourself, I'm fully aware of all the theories of time paradoxes and such. Look, but don't touch.... I'd be amazed if you were never lonely."

And her smile was filled with comforting warmth. She'd let him get to whatever situation he was going through right now whenever he got to it. Which would likely be soon, considering his usual talkative nature, but whatever.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:43 pm

Ah. So it did happen-- the ball.

Kurokku looked over to his side, where Omoi stood against the leaning. There was a sort of sadness in his eyes. Disappointment, to be precise; disappointment in himself. He felt as if he should be ashamed of himself, that let what happen, happen. It was the right thing to do to prevent a paradox or something of equal negativity, but letting people die never felt good. It never felt right.

"Yes, yes. 'Look but don't touch.' Easier said than done. Years ago I was all about the... touching. I messed with history more than I should have, I was saving people and helping them. But, fate would always find a way to bring suffering to them. I can't rewrite time just because people get hurt-- things happen for a reason." Eyes to the ground, Kurokku gripped the railing behind him as he tilted his head up to the ceiling. "I've learned that lesson. It's just... so hard. My other clansmen are much less emotional about the world. Sometimes I wish I could be like that, not so caring."

Deliberately ignoring Omoi's comment about being "lonely", Kurokku moved from the railing and began messing with the controls on the console system. "Look at me! Mopping about! Enough of that, eh?" Slapping a grin on his face, Kurokku began cranking a handle on a wheel located on the lower part of the console system.

"I have some friends I need to impress, the Heartless Monks, and I need something very spiritual. They couldn't care less about time or space travel, so I have to wow them with something else!" Hopping over a few meters, he went to work making seals on blank cylinder tops. "I'm going to the very beginning of the universe! The first few minutes after the Big Bang! I'm going to collect some of the starting material of the universe and bring it to them. It's a very delicate process, though. If I pick out the wrong atoms some planet out there will never have been born, or won't have a star for warmth and life. And I'd rather not go to the end of the universe, crazy stuff happens that far out. So I'd rather not go solo." He stopped, straightening his posture. "What do you say? Wanna see the beginning of creation?"

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:05 pm

He just wouldn't be comforted, would he? Then again, it was kinda expected, in a way....

"Yes, yes. 'Look but don't touch.' Easier said than done. Years ago I was all about the... touching. I messed with history more than I should have, I was saving people and helping them. But, fate would always find a way to bring suffering to them. I can't rewrite time just because people get hurt-- things happen for a reason. I've learned that lesson. It's just... so hard. My other clansmen are much less emotional about the world. Sometimes I wish I could be like that, not so caring."

Omoi snorted softly in annoyance, quelling a retort for the moment.

"Look at me! Mopping about! Enough of that, eh?"

Ahh, there was his trademark grin. Still, though....

"I have some friends I need to impress, the Heartless Monks, and I need something very spiritual. They couldn't care less about time or space travel, so I have to wow them with something else! I'm going to the very beginning of the universe! The first few minutes after the Big Bang! I'm going to collect some of the starting material of the universe and bring it to them. It's a very delicate process, though. If I pick out the wrong atoms some planet out there will never have been born, or won't have a star for warmth and life. And I'd rather not go to the end of the universe, crazy stuff happens that far out. So I'd rather not go solo. What do you say? Wanna see the beginning of creation?"

She wasn't sure how well this would work to please the monks Dokutoru-san was talking about, but it still sounded interesting, and she certainly couldn't let him get himself into trouble....

"Certainly. Let's just not get ourselves killed, shall we? I don't have the extra lives you do." She playfully stuck out her tongue at her time-travelling friend before she lightly hopped up the steps to join him, affectionately poking him in the side of the head once she was within reach.

"And Dokutoru-san? Don't wish that you were less caring. I might not be as fond of you otherwise."
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:41 pm

"Of course! We will be extra safe," he said, giving Omoi an assuring smile. "I wouldn't bring you along if I thought I'd be putting you in grave danger."

"Grave" being the key word. Going with Kurokku on adventures always had the potential for danger. He had the luxury of being able to regenerate, but his companions did not. Often he'd feel selfish for bringing other people along for company, safety, and rather vain reasons, knowing full well the risk he was putting them in. It was like offering candy to a child-- promising someone all of time and space. How could they refuse such an offer?

Less caring... he couldn't do that if he tried. It was his alkalies heel.

Dokutoru gave Omoi a wink before turned back to the console, flicking a lever and slamming his palm against a tiny button. And, just like that, the TASAM began shaking and groaning, the central pillar glowing a bright orange as it hurled itself backwards through time.

Laughing, Kurokku kept (poor) balance as he moved around the control system, pulling out a single lever and pushing it back in with intense force. "You thought we went back far for the dinosaurs? That's child's play compared to this! We're going back far, far, far! 13.7 billion years!" Hitting another switch, two large windows appeared next to the door to the TASAM. It provided a near firsthand view of outer space. Stars forming and burning away, galaxies turning about, planets and moons forming.

How could they refuse such an offer?

Pfff!

A spark came from the central console, causing Kurokku to stumble back against the shaking railing. "It takes a lot of power to go back this far! She's a tough old girl, she can take it! No worries!" The TASAM often would spark during rather strenuous activities, so Kurokku saw no real cause for alarm.

"Wooo!" Maybe Omoi couldn't feel it, since she didn't have that extra "time sense" that Kurokku had, but the rush of traveling a billions of years a minute was beyond incredible.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:53 pm

"Of course! We will be extra safe," he said, giving Omoi an assuring smile. I wouldn't bring you along if I thought I'd be putting you in grave danger.[/b][/color]"

Now that was just manipulation of words. She knew it was dangerous; almost nowhere in her life could she consider herself "safe".... But no matter. Dokutoru-san was Dokutoru-san, and it was better than him being depressed.

"You thought we went back far for the dinosaurs? That's child's play compared to this! We're going back far, far, far! 13.7 billion years!"

Omoi chuckled softly. Hadn't Dokutoru-san been the one going on about how he'd never gone back that far before?

The spark from the central console had Omoi dropping to all fours, sapphire eyes locking onto it, a mix of instinct and reflex keeping her low....

"It takes a lot of power to go back this far! She's a tough old girl, she can take it! No worries!"

If he said so. Omoi rose back smoothly to her feet, flexed knees allowing her to keep her balance with ease despite the TASAM's tremors.

"Wooo!"

A light laugh at her friend's excitement, and Omoi gazed out the windows as space streamed by.

Beautiful.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Pfff, pfff, pfff!

"Haha-hah!" the madman laughed, avoiding a stream of sparks that nearly singed his blond hair. The sparking from the central console was pretty common. This TASAM was an older model, so it had a bit more difficulty performing tasks.

There was about another minute of this when suddenly Kurokku's head jerked to the middle cylinder, the orange was still shining bright and pumping up and down, like someone gently shaking a lava lamp.

A concerned look on Kurokku's face, he moved forward to the controls and began pulling levers and hitting switches. "This is too far, stop!" he shouted, as if the TASAM would react to his verbal command. "Stop! Stop!" It was as if it gained a mind of its own, or something was dragging it further back in time.

Further, further, and further...

Pfff! Pfff! Pfff!

"This is too far! No!" Kurokku's concern switched to something different-- anger. Grabbing a loose pipe from beneath the control system, he began to wail on the TASAM. "I! SAID! STO--!"

Pff--

And stop it did. Literally. Not just the TASAM either, but everything. All the lights of the TASAM still shone brightly, but it came to a complete halt. The spark that had shot from the control system stopped mid-flight.

Cautiously, Kurokku laid the pipe on the floor. "...What?" He stood up straight looking around. "I don't... oh. Oh Lord!" He grabbed his throat. If he could breath heavily, he would. But that was the problem, he couldn't breath. Omoi wouldn't be able to breath either, for that matter. They were okay, just, they couldn't breath. Everything around them had literally frozen, including bodily functions. Manipulating chakra was also out of the question if either of them tried to.

"Okay. Just... don't think about breathing. I guess." He said, clenching his fists as he tried to ignore the common bodily function.

Rushing down the stairs and to the exit doors, Kurokku flung them open. "What." Mouth agape, the time traveler took a step outside of the TASAM's interior. Outside was... well... nothing. Just black empty space as far as the eye could see. Literally, nothing. "The TASAM stopped while picking a proper disguise." Kurokku looked down, the TASAM had begun to take the form of a meteorite, but was unable to finish the process. Instead, it was a dozen or so meter around chunk of a brown-hued rock.

Dokutoru wrung his hands and chewed his lower lip, turning to face Omoi. "Uh... woops?"

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:15 am

Well shit.

Omoi noticed a lot more than Dokutoru-san did in a greatly shorter time; it felt like she'd been forcibly reduced to subhuman standards of sense in terms of scent and hearing.

Silence except for Dokutoru-san's voice. No heartbeats. No sounds of breath. No scent of the world around her.

That was because breathing no longer occured, hearts no longer beat, and it was making her antsy.

"...What? I don't... oh. Oh Lord!"

While Dokutoru-san had one of his typical freak-out sessions, Omoi took a more subtle approach, walking over and examining the spark frozen in midair to try to keep her mind off of the strangeness of what was going on.

"What."

Sapphire eyes glanced down in his direction, followed him down the stairwell... and stared, the feeling of wrongness only increasing.

"The TASAM stopped while picking a proper disguise."

"Uh... woops?"

"Dokutoru-san? Even I know that hitting technology is more likely to break it than make it work. Do you know how to fix it?"

Don'tlikethisplacedon'tlikethisplacedon'tlikethisplacedon'tlike--

Keeping a hold on her rising panic was only possible with the training that she had gotten in BOLT and from Raika.

But her mind kept drifting to something that she couldn't think about, or she'd lose control.

Otoha.

What if she could never go back to him?
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 pm

"Fix it..." he murmured, continuing to wring his hands.

He moved off the rocky surface of the disguised TASAM and back into the time machine. "Whenever it goes wonky I usually hit it with that pipe." He picked up the pipe. "Well, let's see if it works!" Dokutoru slammed the pipe against the surface of the TASAM repeatedly, much less anger in his technique.

"...Nothing." Kurokku lowered his eyebrows, noting how the pipe did nothing to the console system. Inflicting any sort of damage seemed impossible. "I didn't even feel the aftershocks of hitting the controls."

Dropping the weapon, Kurokku flipped switches, pulled levers, cranked crankers, whomped whompers, but to no avail. The TASAM was, "dead. It's dead." Kurokku placed a hand over his chest. Neither of his two hearts were beating. "Just like us. Our physicals bodies aren't doing anything. It's just our mind working now."

Kurokku ran out of the TASAM once more (a single rock jutted out of the meteorite the TASAM had disguised itself as, this was where the door was located). He came to a halt, looking around at the blackness that surrounded Omoi and himself. "The TASAM kept going back in time. It wouldn't stop. Something drew it here. This empty abyss, lack of time and life, infinite nothing in all directions-- this is before the beginning of all creation. A single moment before the Big Bang. This isn't even our universe. This isn't even a universe. This is... this is nothing. Absolutely nothing."

He took a few steps back, grabbing his blond hair as he stared upward with wide eyes. "Omoi, I'm so sorry. I'll figure something out. I'll get you out of here." Of course, words were just words. Kurokku couldn't even begin to figure out what to do. But, the last thing he wanted was for Omoi to lose faith or trust in him. The guilt of what he had done to the poor girl was already escalating-- he hadn't told her the whole truth of why he brought her along.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Stupid pipe.

Stupid lack of reason.

"Dead. It's dead. Just like us. Our physicals bodies aren't doing anything. It's just our mind working now."

Omoi moved without thinking, pacing back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, over and over and over again.

"The TASAM kept going back in time. It wouldn't stop. Something drew it here. This empty abyss, lack of time and life, infinite nothing in all directions-- this is before the beginning of all creation. A single moment before the Big Bang. This isn't even our universe. This isn't even a universe. This is... this is nothing. Absolutely nothing."

Nothing? Ponder the concept of "nothing". That should keep her sane. No mass, no molecules, no atoms, no protons or electrons, nothing at all. Even if she could mold her chakra, her abilities would be completely useless. How did something come from nothing? Where did the energy neccessary for the universe come from? E=mc^2. There was a lot of energy coming. How did it come about?

Back and forth andback and forth and back and forth and--

"Omoi, I'm so sorry. I'll figure something out. I'll get you out of here."

She couldn't even read his emotions beyond what he visually and verbally presented.

Was she even hearing sound? There were no molecules vibrating to carry the waves. There wasn't even breath to vibrate the vocal chords.

How was she moving? She had absolutely no idea.

Her chakra wasn't flowing, couldn't be molded.

She was just an abnormally strong, highly intelligent human like this.

What WAS this?

Time showed all signs of having stopped, but they were still moving, thinking, talking. Dokutoru-san, who existed outside of time itself, if her understanding was right, was logically able to move freely. Why could she move? Some function of the TASAM? But didn't Dokutoru-san say it was dead?

Back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.....
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Kurokku looked back to Omoi who was pacing back and forth. It seemed like their positions had changed. Omoi was freaking out and Kurokku was calm and collective. Well, compared to Omoi he was calm. He was used to this sort of time-space phenomena, he could comprehend it.

"Omoi," the time traveler began, walking to the distraught girl. "I need you to look at me." He stood in front of her path. "Stop thinking so deeply about the nature of our situation. Our minds are all we have left, if you snap there may be no coming back. I want you to--" he hesitated, almost saying "take a deep breath", "--calm yourself. Think about that boyfriend of yours! And his shoes. His wonderful, brilliant shoes."

If this didn't work, Kurokku would have to try something else to get her to relax. Though, it wouldn't be very relaxing. It would just be a way to convey her emotions and get her mind off the situation. Through anger, primarily.

"Just... let go. Let me figure out what's going on. I have everything under control," he lied, giving Omoi a grin that masked his uncertainty and guilt.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:28 pm

"Omoi, I need you to look at me."

She paused midstep, her body remaining perfectly motionless as she stared at the human(?) male standing in her path.

"Stop thinking so deeply about the nature of our situation. Our minds are all we have left, if you snap there may be no coming back. I want you to--"

To what?

"--calm yourself. Think about that boyfriend of yours! And his shoes. His wonderful, brilliant shoes."

For an instant, her control was lost, and her arm snapped out, jerking back an instant later, having never even managed to take the form of a strike.

"Just... let go. Let me figure out what's going on. I have everything under control."

Lie.

No scent.

Eyes.

Hers were inhuman, despite no visible change. A wounded beast ready to lash out, only barely held back by calculating intellect and a more gentle heart.

Frustration.

She turned, strode to the windows, and stared out into the nothingness.

"I can't think about him. Or I really will snap. But I'll try not to think about this insanity we're in, perhaps I'll... unravel DNA in my mind, or something. If my fuuinjutsu still works. Just... stop lying. Scent or not, I can tell."
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:25 pm

"Right. Sorry. Terrible liar, I guess." Kurokku withdrew a bit from Omoi. He was awful at comforting people. It always managed to blow up in his face.

In the short period of time Omoi had been with Kurokku today things had gone so horribly wrong. At the current pace of events, it wasn't going to get any better. After, if he even could, get them out of this nothingness, would the dragonness even want anything to do with Kurokku? He had least owed her the truth. It would give her something to fume about besides losing her sanity to the concept of being in the moment before the creation of reality.

"...I don't know how long we'll be in this place for. So, I can't keep lying to you. I can tell you're upset. If I tell you the truth I can't promise you'll feel any better, but it'll keep your attention on something else." Kurokku tugged on his suit, moving back and leaning against the TASAM's staircase railing. He also had to tell Omoi this for his own sanity. When all one has left is their mind, emotions seem much more physical and powerful. His guilt was overwhelming.

"I am very selfish, Omoi. I am selfish child. It's always dangerous traveling with me, but I bring people along anyway. I promise them any time, any place-- the wonders of the universe, just to get them to tag along. Not just so I can feel adored and boost my ego, but for safety and protection." He began to wring his hands once more. "I have a dozen lives, but all my friends and companions only have one. And I'm selfish and stupid enough to let them risk that-- all for my sake. I don't want to die, I don't want a new body and a new face. And I don't want to be alone. I don't want to travel around by myself. I'm ninety-one, my luck with traveling is going run out, and I am going to meet death. I guess... I just don't want to die. Especially not alone."

He let his hands fall down to his side. It felt good to let some of that go. "That's it. That's me. A vain child who just wants some attention through his cool time traveling toy." It hurt a bit to admit that, but it had to be said.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Next

Return to Rails, Roadways, and Waterways