The Well Of Souls

[Westlands | Coast | Greater Wind Country]
From the eastern desert plains, to the infamous Westlands and the southern coast with its neighboring islands, the Wind Country covers an array of changing landscapes and other settlements. The people who live there are as diverse and powerful as the lands they live on.

The Well Of Souls

PostPosted by Hanya » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:14 pm

As the crowds applause died down, the camera lights continued flashing as a lone warrior stood triumphant over his opponent, blood staining the pure white gi that robed him. A man, garbed in simple black pants and a striped shirt walked over to him, raising his hand in the air, signaling this fighter as the victor. Again the crowd burst into applause as his opponent's trainer cane to the stage and retrieved the still woozy student. As for the victorious competitor, no one was there to congratulate him other than the crowd, his eyes never scanning the crowd for a familiar face, he had given up on that years ago.

As the minutes passed, he was awarded with a medal and a plaque, commemorating his astonishing victory, yet another trophy in his shrine of many. He had accomplished much in his mastery of the art of Taijutsu, the art of hand to hand, and yet he still felt unfulfilled. He was great, there was no doubt, but he still felt like there was more out there. Was that more stronger opponents? He didn't believe so, but was it a greater use of his skills, a quest or a journey? He assumed so. Bowing to the tournament facilitators and the crowd, he headed to the locker room to change, to begin the journey to the next on his list of famous tournaments.

Packing his duffel bag, he opted to war more simple clothes, a t-shirt and black jeans with boots and a black jacket over top. As he stepped back into the empty arena, taking one last look at it before he left, even looking at his name now emblazoned on the champions wall, he was till plagued with the feeling of not having accomplished anything. The feeling he had gotten from his first victory, or even his second, or even his tenth, it wasn't there anymore. He felt nothing, just emptiness.

"An excellent job if I do say so myself."

The voice startled him, causing his muscles to tense up, but his bag put him off guard, giving his mind a chance to decipher the words that were woven into the voice. Turning, he saw a man dressed in more casual clothes than even him, a pair of black slacks, a balck shirt, and a black jacket. The man was clearly of some odd descent, yet there was something more to him, maybe a mix of that and wind country. Still, his speech was easy to understand like he had been there all his life, and though the man paid no attention to any of those details, there was something intriguing about him.

"Thank you, so who are you? You want an autograph or something?"

A simple smile cracked the mans face, as he chuckled.

"No, nothing like that Mr. Kagetora... I actually had an offer for you...."
Last edited by Hanya on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Re: Tantalus Origins: The Well Of Souls

PostPosted by Hanya » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 pm

A small bit of interest showed on his face, random offers usually turned out fun, if not exciting. Even if he had to make them so.

"You can call me Sakumo, Mr. makes me feel old."

The man nodded in agreement, before finishing.

"And you can call me Song. Na Min Song. I've watched your last few tournaments, there's obviously something greater about you than just these little petty competitions. You seem to be looking for something greater than just a trophy or a medal. What if i could offer you something... more."

"Go on..."

"Every great warrior in history has had something associated with them, a sword, a shield, mythical armor... Something. What if i told you that in many instances, this weapon, this item, it was not a random occurrence, but instead it was the same weapon, manifesting itself to the greats when they have shown themselves worthy."

Sakumo shook his head, thinking the man crazy, but something was intriguing him about the guys claims. Maybe it was the way he had said it, or maybe it was simply the prospect of adventure. Whatever it was, even though he doubted the man, he would continue listening.

"I have found this to be the case, at least for some of them, that the death place of one leader, one great warrior, was very near to the birthplace of another. I have followed this pattern, and have found one place near here that seemed to hold that very weapon."

"Why are you telling me this, why not just get it yourself and rule the world, or whatever it is you want to do with it?"

"As I told you before, these objects present themselves to those who have proven themselves worthy. As much as i enjoy the prospect of grandeur, I am no warrior, but you are."

"And why should I do this? why should i come with you to get this, what are you getting out of this"

"Hahahah, you overestimate me. I just want to see if my theory is correct. If you go, the most you will lose is a few days of your time. But at most, you will gain the world. What could be a more promising opportunity?"

He had gotten him. Sakumo had nothing but time on his hands. tournaments came and went, but opportunity only knocked once. Indeed, if it was a ruse he had nothing but time to lose, so why not.

"Okay... So what do I have to do....."
Last edited by Hanya on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Hanya » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm

And so Song told Sakumo of the location of the relic, and the sword that would concrete his position as the worlds most famous martial artist. Gladly accepting the opportunity to travel, and to gain an object that would further boost his ego, Sakumo accompanied Song, from the arena, to the airship docks, and onto a rather rickety looking airship. It wasn't much, but it wasn't a permanent thing, it was a way of getting somewhere. Even with his gigantic ego, Sakumo was a patient man, and as long as he was furthering his own goals, any temporary discomforts or setbacks were just that, temporary.

Soon, on the second night of their journey, Song explained to him the location of the relic, A temple in the midst of a lost city. While much of the city still lie submerged beneath the sand, workers had excavated the temple, and it was accessible, though not completley safe. He also warned of unusual forces, things that were there to test the worth of those who sought the temples treasure. He would not say exactly what it was that Sakumo would be facing, but just that he himself could not hope to face it. Sakumo loved the challenge and without second though further agreed to the test. The temple was only hours away, and as he prepared to get rest, his blood jumped with anticipation.

As the sun peeked into Sakumo's window he arose and prepped his gear, which really didn't consist of actually anything. Standing on the deck, he saw the endless sea of sand and wondered where the temple was, but remembered that they sitll had much of the days journey ahead of them. He patiently waited, performing his katas, and sparring with the crew, though they were of little use to him. When the sun became high in the sky, Song finally came to him, pointing to the ruins of the city. It seemed magnificent, even as it was buried still beneath much sand. There were quite a few people around, mainly local workers it seemed, excavating the site. Song led Sakumo to a giant doorway, flanked on both sides by seated statues that could have used the doors themselves. Even he was taken in awe by their grandeur.

"Amazing isn't it, that people could have done such magnificent things here in this dry deserted land."

Sakumo nodded in agreement and then continued on, through the doors and into the temple. Still there were people there, cleaning up the artwork on the walls and other tasks, but Song passed all of them, moving to the furthest chamber. Grabbing a lit torch, he pulled it free, and turned its holder, causing a portion of the wall to slide away. Handing the torch to Sakumo, he grabbed the other, and continued on, down a set of stairs. The air was musty and dead, and also quite chill, a tremendous change from the air above. it only lasted a moment though as Song lit a torch on the side of the wall, causing a row of torches to light all the way down the chamber, instantly heating the air and causing the stale feeling to rush away.
Last edited by Hanya on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Hanya » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:32 am

The light revealed a large amount of decorative paintings on the wall, ancient hieroglyphs that sakumo couldn't hope to decipher. Instead, he concentrated on the task at hand, waiting for the inevitable challenge that only he could triumph over. Still, they traveled for much time, down chambers and corridors, going left and right, up and down, until finally, they reached a large large room lined with statues and torches and all sorts of gold relics and decorations. It was beautiful, more beautiful than all the trophies he had, more beautiful than all the prize money, more beautiful than anything.

"And this is where your test begins... the sword is there, inside of that large pedestal in the center of the room..."

Turning around, song was still standing in the doorway, a doorway that was quickly closing, locking Sakumo inside. Even as it closed, grinding away at the very floor, he could not concentrate on it for fear of the other sounds he was hearing. The statues surrounding him began to crumble, pieces of rock falling away from them as they seemed to come alive, to break free of the wall and with it the bonds of time. Each one carried a tremendous sword that stone crumbled away from revealing polished gleaming blades. Sakumo smiled, knowing that this was indeed a feat that would determine his worthiness. Even as they surrounded him, he continued smiling, noting that each of them towered over him, at least seven feet tall each of them. Still, he ahd faced similar opponents, and without fear in his heart, he began to do battle.

After much time passed, Sakumo stood ragged, his clothes torn and out of breath, covered in sweat. Beyond him, a pile of bodies were clumped together, unconscious or dead, but either way immobile. A pool of blood and rubble had formed underneath them, their states obviously returning to that of a time passed. Taking a moment to regain himself, he staggered over to the pedestal, the only black object in the room, and saw that it was indeed a container of some sort. Grasping it by his sides, he exerted all of his strength, just to get it to budge a little bit. The combination of time and weight proved more difficult than the undead guards, but with considerable effort, all of his effort if it may have been, he lifted the lid, only to have a bright green light erupt from within. He tried to cover his eyes, but it was too late, the tremendous force that was unleashed from within erupted directly in his face, and quickly the almost white green faded to grey, then to darker grey, then to black. Screaming in pain he grasped at his eyes, trying to make them see, trying to make them work, but there was nothing, only darkness.
Last edited by Hanya on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Hanya » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 pm

"Its truly a shame, you did show such promise, but what use is a blind man..."

The voice was cold, emotionless, and crisp, like that of a villain, or a corrupted king.

"Song... Song is that you? You knew about this... Why.. Why..." The pain was excruciating, but even through it, tears formed in his now burned out eyes. It wasn't from the pain though, not the pain nor the betrayal, but instead from his realization that all of his hard work, his dreams, his goals, his ambition, they had died the moment he had unsealed the well, for a well was exactly what it was.

The well of souls.

Though Sakumo could not see it, Song had begun to change, whisps of green smoke trailing from his body as it changed to a much younger, more spry form. A swift kick to his chest sent sakumo sprawling across the floor, right into the pile of bodies he had created. He could feel the cold wet stone against his back, and he did not move, for fear of collapsing it about him. Placing his hand out towards the well the tortured and anguished souls trapped in the well wailed and moaned as they latched themselves to him, filling his body with a power he so desired. His curse was slowly being sated, the need to feed on souls to sustain his own was being fulfilled. Slowly, the wrinkled skin and less than agile bones were rejuvenated, muscle definition returning to him as well as the jet black color and length in his hair. Even the tenketsu within him that had been all but burned shut from time and overuse reopened themselves, leaking a strange green chakra around his body before it receded back into him.

"I guess since you cant see it I might as well tell you. Na Min Song is no more, though he never actually was, to be honest. I will give you a name to take to the afterlife, my name, Makoto Kujigiri, emissary of death. Goodbye, poor little Sakumo."

"Wait, you cant just leave me here to die... NO...Dont go... Dont leave me!"

His wails went unanswered as Makoto exited the room, having absorbed all of the souls within the well. One last look back into the room, and with a flick of his fingers a flaming skull burst forth, igniting everything within. Again, the door closed, and Sakumo Kagetora was left to his inevitable doom.
Last edited by Hanya on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Hanya » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:21 pm

As Makoto walked out of the temple, all of the workers simply stopped what they were doing, disappearing in flashes of green smoke that faded away with the nearest wind. His face was covered in an odd smile as he stepped onto his airship, the crew vanishing in a similar fashion. Moving to the bridge, he powered up the airship and set off back for his home in the demon country. This task had been less of an ordeal than he had anticipated, but he would be glad when he was away from this work.

"You can come out now... I know you've been watching me this whole time."

Inside the temple, the fire raged, consuming all of the treasures within the room and giving off a heat that the crippled and disenheartened warrior could feel, but had no urge to avoid. He was sealed in, and without his senses. He could smell, hear, feel, and taste, but without his sight, everything around him was just disconnected darkness. Hopeless, endless, darkness.

And then there was something else. Something warm, not like the heat of the fire, but like the heat of a warm embrace. There was a small speck of light, the smallest, spec of light imaginable, and yet it was bright, so bright. He reached for it, the only thing he had seen in all those minutes he had been in the tomb. Was he dying? Was that the light at the end of the tunnel? Was this the end?

No, it was something else, something that called out to him, something that drew him in, and as he crawled closer, he could feel its warmth and glow intensifying, he could see it materializing in front of him. Indeed the man Song, or rather Makoto had brought him here for a sword, and that was what he saw. Bathed in a blue light, it cut through the darkness if his mind to show itself to him, to force him to reach into the well that had blinded him, and to pull it from the depths. He could feel the cold wood around it, but better yet he could see it, though it was the only thing he could see.

"Sakumo..."

The sword spoke to him, carrying the voice of a woman, light and airy, and yet filled with power and regality. As he slid the case open, the voice told him of the swords legacy, of its travels trough time, and not just of its wielding by the great warriors of the past but of their connection to each other, and unknown to him or even Makoto, their connection to him. Indeed he was descended from them, and this sword was his rightful possesion. It was why he was able to defeat the guards so effortlessly, why he had so much talent for fighting, and why even without his vision, he could still carry on his goals and his life. He just had to survive.

"I will lead you out..."
Last edited by Hanya on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Hanya » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:25 pm

And so it was that the light led Sakumo through the catacombs. He had no iidea where he was going, only that he could keep going. When the sword told him to turn, he turned; when it said crouch, he crouched. It was only after some amount of time, hours, days even, that he felt himself bathed in the warm glow of the sun, searing, but not burning. The sweltering heat caused him to break a sweat almost instantly, but the fresh air, the air littered with particles of sand, it felt refreshing to him, even when it would feel hellish to anyone else. Still though, he oculd not enjoy the sight of freedom, instead only the pain of reaffirming his loss of vision. A gust of air blew on him, at first feeling releiving, but then the particles of sand embedding themselves in his non functioning eyes. Wretchinin pain again, he rubbed and rubbed until it was gone, and then decided that even though he could not see from them, that he would still protect them, and so he pulled the headband he had been wearing, at first white, but now stained red with the blood from his trials, over his eyes.

"Come Sakumo, return to your world and live. Live life as the truly great individual you are. Your disability is not the end, it is only a setback."

"I know. It is not the end. Now I have a new goal.... Revenge. Even if i have to retrain every sense in my body or go to the depths of the underworld to get my vision back, i will find this Makoto, and I will repay him in full for his treachery."

"Sakumo..."

"No, Sakumo is no more. I am no longer a man obsessed with proving his vengence. I am a soul, a spirit, bound to war, to the sword, to you."

"Then you are like me, then you are me, you are Kenshi.. a sword spirit..."

"Ken...shi..., I like the sound of it. That will be what I am called from now on."

With that, the jaded warrior took route into the desert, guided by the spirit of his ancesters and by the spirit of vengence, and made his way back to the world of men, training his body over and over again, replacing his lost vision with heightened senses in every other category.

Makoto would pay.
Last edited by Hanya on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Return to Wind Country