RPing: the DQ Approach

Links to different translators, or other aids for the site will be posted here. Users can come in this board to create his or her own tutorial for the rest of the site to look at and critique!

RPing: the DQ Approach

PostPosted by kaidan K » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:15 pm

DQ, as in Drama Queen.

Yes. In this lesson I will outline and explain to you the particular role playing style I'm going to call the 'Drama Queen Approach'(melodrama style). Don't be fooled! The term 'Drama Queen' isn't a negative one in this case! I'm calling this specific approach to role playing as I am because of what it stresses most; DRAMAAAAA~! In-character drama can be great because it's very interesting to read when it's good. A good drama can play at your heartstrings in one moment, enrage you the next, then turn around and make you laugh at the circumstances. The descriptions on mentality are to the max when using this style of role play. There is also a description type that I'm going to introduce in this topic that was brought up in a PM response to "Please DESCRIBE this for me!"; Purpose. There needs to be a lot of Purpose described in good drama posts. I'll elaborate on this later on in the topic.

Okay. First, there are a few different types of drama that you can bring into the story of your posts. They are as follows;

Tragic Loss/the Heartbreak~ This type of drama is where you build up a character/story putting a positive focus on how a character's feelings/hopes towards something, then when the reader least expects it you shatter the character's feelings/hopes through sudden tragedy. This may be the type of drama where you sacrifice the most, as pretty much the most tragic loss to a good story is the sudden death of a character that you made sure the reader would get attached to. There are quite a few examples of where a TV show, anime, movie, book ect. where the creator will build attachment to a character, and then sooner or later just kill that character off to tear at your heartstrings,

• The most classic example of tragic death is in "Old Yeller". The family dog defends against a rabid wolf, as the dog is the hero of the story. Unfortunately, the dog contracts rabies itself and forces the family to perform a mercy kill on the poor thing. Truly a classic example, as not only does the hero of the story end up dying in the end but it is killed by the hands of the family that took it in as one of their own.
  • In "Lord of the Flies", the character "Piggy" is one example. He's a character you may not identify with, but have a lot of remorse for with the way he's treated up until his untimely demise. William Golding made sure to have his death occur right when he was becoming more of a dynamic character to add to the dramatic effect.
  • "Harry Potter" has a few great examples, one being Dobby, the house-elf. He was a great character for some laughs in the second book/movie. He also appears in the rest of the books and offers help to the main characters. And then he makes a truly heroic appearance in the last installment of the series. Dobby saves the day, yet by doing so ends up dying by Bellatrix's thrown knife.
  • In "House M.D.", there's a decent example of this with the charcter "Kutner". He's pretty much the most softhearted and loveable character to yet be on the show, and even after all the love he ends up killing himself. Granted, this only happened because the actor left the show to "go work for Obamma", but it still effected my emotions to see a good character get offed liked that, enraging me.

Tragic loss can be more than just a death of a good character. It can be the loss of a high position in society, loss of friendship, loss of a home, ect. I could give more examples of each of these, yet it would take up too much of the post.

Conflict~ Where you show just plain and simple struggles with life and all the issues that come up. Conflict can be brought up in quite a few different ways.

• Struggle with Authority- This type of conflict can occur with the stories of characters who are naturally resistant to the shows of authority made by other key characters, and it can even occur with those that aren't normally opposed to the demands of higher-ups. The big deal here is purpose, which I'll elaborate more specifically on later. Want a good example of this? Let's look at the original Stark Trek series. Captain/Admiral Kirk ends up disobeying direct orders from Starfleet nearly ALL THE TIME just to save the Enterprise or stop a tragic war from taking place between two opposing sides(even both in some cases). As a result of one particular opposition to authority and Starfleet protocol, Kirk looses the rank of Admiral, making for some more interesting as well as entertaining conflict with authority expressed by James Tiberius Kirk. So try putting an authority figure in your posts(if someone else hasn't already) and try to have moments where there is a goal in mind for the character in question yet orders from above are trying to stop that character from achieving said goals. What happens in the end is up to you.
  • Dysfunctional Relationships- Everybody has them in real life. Naturally, there are key differences in characters like with real people where they may share different core values, have conflicting natures, take a liking to different or even opposing things, and can even be rivals trying to achieve the same/opposite goals before the other. A lot of examples can be given for this. One prime example is Team 7 in "Naruto", with Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura. Sasuke is a naturally gifted ninja where as Naruto has to work his ass off to get to the level he ends up at. This causes lots of conflict and full out struggles between the two characters as they begin their training under Kakashi. Sakura knows that Naruto is totally into her, yet Sakura only has eyes for Sasuke. This conflict goes in hand with the Love triangle that I'll go in better detail in later, but the overall effect of this is that it causes emotional strife in the squad that almost takes away their ability to work as a team. In the beginning parts of the series, these conflicts make some interesting and laughable situations. Your posts can be the same just by emulating this form of melodrama conflict.
  • Conflicting Morals- Those times where you know the right thing to do in a situation, yet you feel the pull to do the opposite of what is considered morally correct. Try putting these kinds of situations where your character is conflicted over what decision they should make. Express their emotions in their thoughts, movements, and even dialogue as they make the tough choice out what the situation provides. A good and classic example of this is in Macbeth, just before Macbeth and his wife kill King Duncan. Macbeth gives a moment where he struggles with doing the deed even after giving it much thought. Later you even see the struggle with conflicting morals in Lady Macbeth after the fact of killing Duncan and becoming queen of Cordor. "Out, damned spot! Out I say!" she says as key evidence that by envisioning the blood on her hands from slaying Duncan she feels natural guilt from her actions.
  • Conflicting Emotions- Ever have that moment in life where you want something to good to happen and your hopes get shattered to pieces? Trying to put your role play character through that same type of situation can give the reader something to identify with and like a lot. Show the pain and anguish they feel even over the simplest things that effect their emotions. In "Naruto", remember how anxious Naruto was to be put in the same shinobi squad as Sakura? He get's his wish, but then he discovers Sasuke, his unintentional rival for Saurka's affections is chosen to be in the team as well. This brought out some strong and well expressed emotions that Naruto displayed regularly in the beginning of the series.

Don't be shy about trying to combine more than one, or even all of these types of conflict in with your story. Really complex conflict in a story can be something that some readers will relate to, and like more because of it. It may even be beneficial for people to see two sides of an issue similar to the one they deal with in real life. I won't promise it will always change someone when they read these types of conflict like that, but ye' never know.

Love Conflict + Love Triangle / "insert type of shape here"~ I'm not going to say everyone has really been in love, but it should be a subject that usually people will try to relate to, even when they don't make it known. That usually depends on how well the love scene was portrayed in terms of realism and believability. Let's break this down,

• Love + Love Conflict- One character or both find a connection that shows potential for a relationship, whether it be 'true love' or lust and whether it's completely one sided or mutual in some cases. Naturally, this happens between a male and female character(as same sex intimacy is not as well accepted). With 'true love' relationships, you really should try and pick carefully; as carefully as you would in real life. The main concern with this is that you don't want your character falling for every other character of the opposite sex they meet, unless it fits that character's personality. People don't like "Mary Sue"s as they are unimaginative, unrealistic, and have no believability to their relationships. Of course, a lot of times it isn't good enough plot-wise for characters to get hitched right off the bat. That's where the conflict comes in. It's pretty popular to have a major obstacle in the way of a relationship, or even several of them. This gives a relationship believability in a story, and naturally people like to see a character get past nearly impossible odds to find love. OR, to find love and then lose it either by tragedy or the result of dysfunctional relationship conflict. Try writing your best attempt in your own words how your character finds affection for another, and go into detail surrounding the resulting thoughts and actions your character goes through. A decent example of a love conflict is the NarutoxSakura one in "Naruto". Naruto loves Sakura, yet she only has feelings for the most talented ninja in her academy class, Sasuke. This makes conflicting emotions brought on all sides of this Love Triangle spectrum, and provides believable emotions/reactions out of the characters. More on the Love Triangle in a sec. I do feel that a better Love Conflict is the RonxHermione one shown in "Harry Potter, and the Goblet of fire". Their relationship is prior to even just blooming, so Ron naturally doesn't really think of asking Hermione to the Tri-wizard Ball as soon as he knew about it. There's conflict on both sides as Hermione is asked by Ron's Pro-Quidditch hero, Victor Krum to go to the Ball and Hermione says 'yes'. It's believable, and shows how a natural conflict would arise with relationships that are taking a while to bloom into actual love.
  • The Love Triangle/"insert type of shape here"- This is a very popular type of melodrama to bring into a story. Now, I don't personally take for this type of drama myself, but that doesn't take away from its undeniably high popularity among readers. It's where there is a love conflict between three or more characters to make sense of the "Triangle" part, "Square", "Hexagon", ect. One character has developed feelings towards another, while that character in turn has developed their affections towards someone else. For a good example of this, let's go back to "Naruto" with the NarutoxSakuraxSasuke love triangle. Naruto's had a crush on Sakura since the beginning of their academy days while Sakura just thinks Sasuke is cute. It's a good example to go with, yet I admittedly think that another good example is with the EdwardxIsabellaxJacob love triangle in Stephanie Meyer's ever so popular series, "Twilight". Seriously. Isabella is good friends with Jacob already, but then she builds up a love relationship pretty quickly with Edward. I blame the fact that Ed's a vampire. But, yeah. There really is some pretty believable conflict between all three of the characters displayed in the story as 'Bella' tries to decide on who she would rather share her life with the rest of her years on Earth. It's all very believable conflict, aside from the mythical creatures part.

Now that I've gone through all that, let's finally get to that description type I said I'd breakdown for its relevance to the Drama Queen approach to RPing,

Purpose~
In melodrama, you find that a LOT of times, even the littlest things have Purpose to them. The most extreme example of this is in the Second and Third Pirates of the Caribbean movies. These movies aren't the best examples, because there is too many little things that are given their own story to which makes the movies confusing and a little lame in some parts. This type of description deals mainly with mentality description with elaborating mostly on the emotions towards something or someone expressed by a character/writer. Basically, to make Purpose descriptions, you give mentality descriptions based on setting or with thoughts and opinions of one character to another. Here is a good example for Purpose given to me by Art via PM response to "Please DESCRIBE this for me!",

Art wrote:1)"Kaiden Went to the Ramen Shop"

is exactly the same as

2)"It was a Rainy Tuesday and Kaiden Walked to the Ramen Shop"

Yeah its better, but not by much.

Even if you exand it out more.

3)"It was a rainy Tuesday and Kaiden the Happy Go Lucky Ninja thought it would be a good idea to head over to ichiraku's Ramen. It was middle in the day right at lunch time. Nothing warmed up a cold day like a hot bowl of ramen. The golden brown noodes hiding within steaming salty broth, he couldnt wait to eat it. Before leaving his House, which was two blocks away fromt he ramen shop, Kaiden put on his axe body spray to smell good for the ladies. On the way to the ramen shop Kaiden saw three goats, a butterfly and two dudes making out. He thought the goats were cool but he didnt understand why dudes were making out.... isnt this america? When he got to the ramen shop he didnt even wait for his friend cause he was too hungry. While he was eating his soup he tried not to fart. He paid his bill and coulnt have been more curtious. As he paid his bill his friend suddly got in trouble, and like a good neighbor he was there.... just like state farm the insurance company. "

More desciption =/= better. You need purpose. Why does it matter that its tuesday? Why does it matter that its Raining? So the other person has an easier time replying? So you paint a more imaginative story?

If you are going to add details atleast make them important!

4)"He Hated Rainy Day's. But Loved when it rained on tuesdays. Why? Well tuesday just happened to be half price ramen day at Ichiraku's and everyone know that Ramen tastes better on a cold rainy day. Twice the satisfaction for half the cost? It was no suprise why Kaiden was the first to show up at Ichiraku's...He was always searching for a deal."

Purpose can add a little pizzazz to your melodrama as you're really getting in the head of a character and the things they take value in. Try giving purpose in conjunction with one of the above types/examples of drama when writing your story. Don't just think "Don fell in love with Susy", but focus on why Don fell in love with Susy. It was her rosy cheeks and brilliant smile, or it's the way her body moves when she walks, ect.

=/=/=/=/=/=/=

There's probably more that can be said about this style of RPing, but I'll basically finish this off saying that this style is for people who really care about story and plot as well as people looking to just write something that someone could enjoy reading. If it doesn't fit your style, don't worry as it doesn't have to. But, it's good to try something new in a lot of cases. No one should be shy to try using the Drama Queen approach to role playing.
Last edited by kaidan K on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
People talk about combining the Way of Learning with the Way of the Samurai,
but when properly combined, they aren't two-they're one.
Only one Way, Takezo.

~Takuan Sōhō, Musashi
Profile page | RP request page | the Way of the Artist
kaidan K
Blind Justice

Re: Rping: the DQ Approach

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:33 pm

I really think this guide would benefit from using established literature terminology. The ones you use are either incorrect or confuse the meaning of what you're actually writing.

Not bad information here though. A bit lengthy.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by kaidan K » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for input. I'll try to re-write it sometime with plenty of writing class notes or something to better explain things with.

As for the length, well... a lot of lessons are lengthy. I suppose I could also try and summarize things here and there to try and fix that.
Only one Way, Takezo.

~Takuan Sōhō, Musashi
kaidan K
Blind Justice

PostPosted by kimahri_ronso » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I really like this. I wonder if I could adapt this with my writing style... >.>

1 2 3 4 5 Image 5 4 3 2 1

Spoiler:
¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨

¨°º¤ø„¸DUBSTEP„ø¤º°¨

„ø¤º°¨FOREVER`°º¤ø,,

Spoiler:
"[Nihil Timendum Est - The 50th Law]"
[x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
kimahri_ronso

PostPosted by kaidan K » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 pm

No one should be shy to try using the Drama Queen approach to role playing.
Only one Way, Takezo.

~Takuan Sōhō, Musashi
kaidan K
Blind Justice

PostPosted by kimahri_ronso » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:05 pm

kaidan K wrote:
No one should be shy to try using the Drama Queen approach to role playing.

I'm sort of an automatic writer... can't really describe it, but whether I incorporate this, or not, is dependent upon my muse.

I would like to get your view on something though. It's a bit of a spoiler, so I'll Pm it to you.

1 2 3 4 5 Image 5 4 3 2 1

Spoiler:
¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨

¨°º¤ø„¸DUBSTEP„ø¤º°¨

„ø¤º°¨FOREVER`°º¤ø,,

Spoiler:
"[Nihil Timendum Est - The 50th Law]"
[x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x] [x]
kimahri_ronso

PostPosted by kaidan K » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Go ahead!
Only one Way, Takezo.

~Takuan Sōhō, Musashi
kaidan K
Blind Justice

Return to The Classroom