The Science of War {Kyoki}

Below the surface of the country exists a massive factory for creating the vast amounts of war weapons. Security here is at the highest then anywhere in the village. Since Sky wishes to hold the superiority in technology over the other nations. Believing that if thier plans were spread across to the other nations, war would only grow more common and horrific.

The Science of War {Kyoki}

PostPosted by Sawtooth » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 pm

"...And to your blah, we have some recently blah blah technology blah science blahblahb! Hooray, SCIENCE!"

The over-the-top enthusiasm was what did it.

There's interesting, boring, and terrible. If someone stapled her yap, this massively metallic kraken of a factory would have fallen in the gray area between interesting and not. If you could actually interact with the creations, watch the mechanics from within the weapon plating or brush your fingers against reinforced suits of lightweight armor, it might have been a nice tour. An interesting tour.

"Please don't touch! Thank youuu!"

...Over-the-top, through the atmosphere and into the deepest reaches of the universe.

Sure thing.

"Again, there will be cake supplied at the end of this tour! Just a few more exciting stops! Next is the blahhh..."

Sathos probably could have asked questions that would get her fired and himself a new occupation, but her job is awful and he isn't so bad a guy. He opted instead to creak floorboards away from the group as they turned the corner. Security would have him in seconds if he so much as sneezed in a restricted area without authorization... or a guide's authorization.

It began to cross his mind hours earlier: why exactly would Soragakure give out free tours, essentially exposing advanced military technology when they had only just started cracking down on security? Maybe it was a public reputation stunt. The thought sank in about halfway before it was splattered by the chance to see the latest tech! Undoubtedly, his lineage even gave inspiration to some of these modern marvels. Such things were the forefront of his pondering.

Peeking around a beam into a hallway, he saw no immediate opposition and boldly breezed through the entire complex. Where the guards had gone was one of those vital questions that don't really matter until they matter. Ah, philosophy. It was the least of his concern; even guards had lunch breaks, perhaps they were even having a shift change. What he was worried about was tripping the alarm when he tiptoed into the Holy Grail of new age weaponry!

It was quite impressive, whatever it was. This was likely where the completed arms were stored, given away by the absence of whirring and engineers scrambling from station to station.

No guard here, either.

Reaching out, he pressed his palm against it. Whatever it was, it was on like it had been left that way. Within a few minutes, Sathos determined that the icy exoskeleton was clearly insulated, an indication that it ran hot. The only things that run hot in a war factory are war machines.

I hear someone...! Son of a biscuit!

Sawtooth

Re: The Science of War {Kyoki}

PostPosted by Hanya » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:57 pm

The weapons display was amazing, each item completely crafted like something out of his dreams, the blacksmithing in him proud of the finely machined parts and intricate welds and joinings. The engineer in him was just as excited, every wire, steam hole, and light drawing his very attention. Eve nthe sheer size of the massive factory/ warehouse made his nerves tingle with joy. The only thing that could have made this tour better was a guide that knew more than just "strong metal" "system" and "complex machinery". She was quite dull in her explanations of things, completely uninformed of inner workings, and seemed to have a bigger urge to get them in and out than to really show them what was keeping the people of Sora safe.

That wasn't enough for kyoki, and at the first chance he got he slipped away, lagging behind as the group turned a corner. When they were out of sight he hightailed it to the other end of a hallway, and stared at some sort of electrical stick behind a thick glass window. Taking out a small notebook, he began to draw it, noting each part and what he thought they were either made of or did. If he could re create just the simplest of the tech there he could probably get a job making it, or making more complex things. It would be a dream come true for him, to get paid to tinker.

"Shit... somebody's coming".

Quickly stashing his notebook he ran towards a corner and leaned against a wall, trying to look and see who the person was without being seen, but just as he saw the shadow the wall the wall opened up, causing him to tumble backwards into a large room. The wall/door closed quickly behind him and before he knew it he was trapped. Looking around, he saw that he was in some sort of assembly room, a conveyer belt and robotic arms welding together some more of the objects taht he had been drawing earlier. Again he took the opportunity to take notes, drawing each part individually, and finally able to get a closer look at what made them run. After a few minutes he reached the end of the belt, and was faced with a dilemma.

"Where should I go next..."

He had been looking down at his notebook, going over each piece, but as soon as he decided to move on, he looked up, seeing a large door that just called out to him to be opened. As he approached, the doors slid away, revealing another large room, one with a large exoskeletonish arm, and a boy that seemed almost Kyoki's age, guiltily touching it.

"Hey...I don't think you should be touching that..."
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Sawtooth » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 am

"Hey..."

A million thoughts stampeded, lacking unification.

"I don't think you should be touching that..."

Everything seemed to get louder, including every damned inhalation. His stealth mission was set on a pedestal for all to see! Set on a collision course with catastrophe! Now he had to deal with it. There was only one thing he could do to save himself right now.

Don't... panic...

Commanding his now rubbery nerves, he managed to steel them long enough to look busy and convincingly say "I'm not to be disturbed while working." He felt there was a 50-50 chance the person in his peripheral was just some lowly grunt. Like a delivery guy! War factories need delivery guys, right? They have to get the raw materials from somewhere! Sathos isn't some super-spy, but his enthusiasm for knowledge served him well at a moment when he needed to act like one.

When you're discovered in a place you don't belong, your options are very limited. If you engage in a discussion, you will drown in the very puddle that is your only defense: trickery. Subtle cues like eye contact, shifting voice timbre, and sweat are all red flag indications of a trickster. By not turning to face someone who happens upon you, you are masking nearly all of these cues. Times like these, all you can do is hang onto a clipboard, sip coffee, and hope no one tries to kill you.

...It works out better when you actually have a clipboard to hold, and coffee to sip.

He would have held that guise all the way to the grave, had he not recognized the person calling him out after a few seconds. "Oh, you. From the tour group! Look, run and tell anyone I fled the flock and I'll--!... wait, why are you here?" Probably the same reason as him, from what he gathered earlier. He frequently drowned out ambient noise, focusing on one or a small group of things at once. Doesn't mean he's not thorough; this kid had been making inquiries to the tour guide that left impressions on Sathos. A few sounded completely stolen from his own mind. Not too shabby.

Rule number two: when you're unauthorized in any location, whether you ever make it out is highly dependent on your assets, allies, friends, whatever. Find the right ones and you are more likely to get out of a pinch. Pick the wrong ones, you're doomed. What's risky is turning another person doing what they shouldn't be doing into an asset. To do this convincingly, you give them information. Information kills, but no information will end you faster than information about yourself.

"Alright, I trust you."

The closer they are to you, the swifter they will ruin you.

It's all about risks.

"Sathos! My name, Kawaguchi Sathoggua. Sathos is fine. Our little half-baked tour group was moving ten feet per second. For me to really get something, I take my time. Concentrate. Observe. Touch. It's how I learn things, but... you are?"

Sawtooth

PostPosted by Hanya » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:17 pm

"I'm not to be disturbed while working."

Shiiiiiiiiit...... What are the odds...

The whirr and hum of the machinery in the background, and the hump and pump of something in the other room were nothing compared to the sound his heart was making as it almost jumped out of his chest. A bead of sweat wouldn't have survived a second on his skin, his body heating up with fear, his muscles getting ready to work at full capacity, and his adrenaline already surging through his body. He wated for the guy to turn around, to tell him that he shouldn't be there, to signal some sort of guard.

But he didn't. Instead, he kept his face to the giant exoskeleton arm, not looking back at him, giving him the opportunity to escape. Kyoki quickly backed up, trying to exit silently, but before he could get two steps the guy turned around, an almost wry look on his face. Kyoki's heart almost exploded and then... Nothing. He had seen this guy before.

"Oh, you. From the tour group! Look, run and tell anyone I fled the flock and I'll--!... wait, why are you here?"

Situation avoided. Somehow, this kid had the same idea as Kyoki, to get away from that unintellegent excuse for a tour and to get a closer look at everything they had to offer. Still, he hadn't seen this... prosthesis... before. It wasn't in any of the rooms, it wasn't on any of the charts, it was just missing form the tour completley, but why? It looked so amazing.

"Why am I here.... Uhhhh..."

Deflecting the question was his best bet, but he kind of felt like he didn't have to. they were both in the wrong... or maybe they were both righting the wrong that was that stupid tour. Who cares. Nobody was there to judge. They both seemed to be there for one reason, and one reason only.

"For Science!"

The silence that issued over his outburst made Kyoki feel a little ashamed for a moment, his face slowly turning pink, then red, then fading back to its normal color as he held his breath.

"Alright, I trust you."

*Sighhhh*

He would have pulled a cigarette out and smoked it right there, the sweet release of acceptance jsut what he needed in life, except for the obvious "No Smoking" signs posted everywhere.

"Sathos! My name, Kawaguchi Sathoggua. Sathos is fine. Our little half-baked tour group was moving ten feet per second. For me to really get something, I take my time. Concentrate. Observe. Touch. It's how I learn things, but... you are?"

"Sathogg...Sathos... yeah. My name is Kyoki. Kyoki Kagami. And I completely understand. That tour girl didn't know mearly enough for me to really get an understanding of what was going on. I had to take a look at some of the stuff for myself. I din't expect to find anyone else though, I though everyone else in the tour was just there for those basic ass descriptions and explanations she was giving. Anyways... any idea what that thing is? Looks like a giant arm to me... but what could it possibly go on? Not a person..."
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Sawtooth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:24 am

"For Science!"

Confirmed: he did it for the science! Oh, he liked this one.

As Sathos told him a little about himself, a razor edge of a smile kicked in at the sinking of the kid's shoulders, which were wound up like coils not a minute sooner. Maybe the kid didn't deserve to be called a kid, he reflected; the wee billy goat couldn't have been but a year or so behind Sathos, and he'd hardly said or done anything. Certainly nothing to warrant the title.

"Sathogg... Sathos... yeah. My name is Kyoki. Kyoki Kagami."

...Kid. For now.

"And I completely understand. I didn't expect to find anyone though, I thought everyone else in the tour was just there for those basic-ass descriptions and explanations she was giving."

"Right... see? You get it."

"Anyways... any idea what that thing is? Looks like a giant arm to me... but what could it possibly go on?

"Yeah, I'm trying to rule out all the possibilities. I didn't get very far before a like-minded menace interrupted me... but! I do know that it's meant to be worn on something."

"Not a person...."

Sathos snapped an eye widely open. "Maybe a person! Look at this..."

Palming the outline of a circle, narrow fissures within the exoskeleton raced to the forearm in a blink of brilliant cyan, fading as quickly as they were revealed. Something stirred from within the shell, and the cylinder end furthest away from the digits swirled open, revealing an empty sleeve running through it's length.

"I noticed that when I messed around with it earlier. Oh, and I have no idea what the plating's composition is, but it has its own internal and external insulation. Think about it. It's hotter than a spring full of whores in here, yet this metal is so cold." Groping and noodling around the inside of the machine, he found the conclusive evidence he was looking for. "The sleeve is warm. So... what exactly would inspire that in a Soragakurian design? Nothing. If you want to make something fireproof, naturally heat resistant resources already exist."

Curiously brushing his index finger and thumb across his bottom lip, his ideas retracted into his mind like a crustacean darting into its safety-shell.

Soragakure... resistant to temperature change...

"...Woah!"

Sawtooth

PostPosted by Hanya » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:31 pm

It was incredible now that he looked at it, a piece of technology that seemed well beyond anything he had encountered or could even think of. Of course steam powered things, machines, vehicles, even a few weapons, they were commonplace, but this, it looked completely different. All of the dials and gauges were gone, replaced by a cool lighting and almost seamless construction, just pieces that came together like they were born that way. Still, he wondered what exactly it was, how it was powered, actually he wondered a lot of things taht he just could not place into words, but those were the two main things. Before he knew it though, Sathos was fiddling with an opening near what appeared to be the arm socket.

"Uhh.... you probably shouldn't put your.... nevermind."

He stuck his arm in.

The cool blue lights that had begun running sdoen the arm quickly changed to red, and a puff of steam burst from the back as the small red groves closed. The arm seemed to be shrinking to fit to Sathos's arm size, a few pieces rotating and squeesing, and for a moment it looked like some sort of machine takeover, but just like that it stopped, and the lights went back to blue, with the... thing... still attached to his arm.

" You said it feels warm in there?... but the metal is cool..... I got it. It might be some sort of steam engine in side of there, and its running the steam internally, which is why its warm on the inside, but maybe the whole thing is insulated and the metal is just doing a really good job of dampening the heat. I saw a big puff of steam come out the back of it a second ago... maybe its some sort of vent. I'm gonna check it out."

Walking around the back, a series of vent like openings sure id show up on the back, three small slits near the shoulder that he could visibly see hot air coming from. It wasn't giving off any smell, so he was sure it had to just be hot air andvnot any odd sort of chemical, unless it was one that acted like air. He traced his finger up the back of the arm, feeling the coolness that Sathos had described earlier, which ran all the way up until the openings, and even the metal at the edges was still cool, where the hot air was pretty much unbearable to be in close to.

"Hey, can you feel any sort of... vibrations or anything in there... does it feel like there are parts moving around underneath all that?"
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Sawtooth » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

"Hey, can you feel any sort of... vibrations or anything in there... does it feel like there are parts moving around underneath all that?"

"Not really, no. It feels like nothing's on my arm at all. Freaking cool. We gotta get you one!"

Sathoggua scanned about, noticing a heap of something similar in construction to the arm. Galloping over to a dolly inconspicuously nestled between two long tables full of crap, his heartbeat commanded his arms to lift up a massive... chestplate? ARM was embedded into it with an industrial font, beneath which it supplied (in much smaller text) "Ambient Reorganization Material".

"Ambient... Reorganization Material. ARM. Man, it's part of a whole flippin' suit! And look, they had it right here like some junk about to be tossed. Did you see how it intelligently shrank to fit me? Screw one size fits all, this baby is ALIVE! Ahem..."

After the sudden stop, his voice dropped to a mere note above inaudible. "I decided the moment I walked on the premises that I'm taking one of these bad boys with me. So, I'm nabbing the suit. It's dumb, I know, still don't care. I can only perform certain tests without tinkering with it and I know I'm too clumsy to manipulate this thing without converting it to a paperweight."

He paused, slipped on the rest of the suit -- or rather the ARM slipped on him by adjusting itself to fit like a glove -- and then he scoured Kyoki's soul for any agreement in a hopeful manner. A kind of visible, excited, maddened, racing desperation reverberated in his sockets and lent themselves to a gleaming light shimmering in his gaze.

"I need you. Bringing in someone else can land me in jail, but bringing you in means our fate is the same, a fate that could be jail anyway. In or out, Mister Kyoki Kagami Guy I Just Met? Either way I'm getting the hell out of here. Now."

"Man, I mean now!" He bent down and pulled Kyoki with him, exhaling a rushed murmur. "Guard, on my three."

Sure as shit and by the very entrance Sathos used earlier, a guard eased into the room, not unlike a an indifferent wisp of misfortune floating their way.

Sawtooth

PostPosted by Hanya » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 am

INdeed, with the telltale sound of air and metal sliding past one another, the door opened, a man in a tan grey hat and jacet walking in. His black pants didn't match, nor did his shoes, but then again, factories weren't known for their fashion sense. He stepped looking around the room, inspecting every inch, and then his eyes rested on the stand that the ARM piece had been on, before moving on to something else.

He didn't notice its gone.....

He continued around the room, looking under a table, opening a box, and nearing the back of the room, opened up a file cabinet. Closing it, he began walking towards the area where Sathos and Kyoki were hiding and after a quick glance, Kyoki tugged Sathos in his direction as he squat walked around, narrowly avoiding the guards gaze.

"It's not here... I dont see anything that looks like it. What about on your end?"

The man had pulled out a rather low tech looking walkie talkie, and was communicating with someone, and if it had not been for the curious tick that Kyoki had to watch the guy leave, he would have never noticed the radio at his side, the much more advanced looking radio.

"Why did he have two radios...."

Finally, the guard left, and Kyoki stood up, looking at Sathos with deep suspicious eyes.

"Something wasn't right about that guard."
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Return to Industrial Grounds