An Ambush and a Reunion (Raika)

[ \The Meeting House | Kumonohora | The Heart of the Chiroptera/ ]
The reclusive fort housing the survivors of Kumogakure no Sato's destruction, located in the center of Chiroptera Forest whose dangers and local superstitions provide a natural barrier to the rest of the world. Nestled in the roots of one of the ancient trees, the people here are learning to survive alongside the ancient forest, the local Koumori serving to help things along. However, carefully hidden away underneath the fort the shinobi way of life continues on in the shadows in Kumonohora....

An Ambush and a Reunion (Raika)

PostPosted by Shinsou » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Shinobi.

That's all Shinji could see for miles and miles. He could coexist with shinobi until one pissed him off or got in his way, but there was no escaping the ingrained response of disgust that he had picked up from his Onigami superiors. A few Onigami were able to overcome the anti-shinobi dogmatism, but for him–at least in complete terms–it would take some time.

The ones passing by him in the Lightning Country were not likely to change his view.

Shinji walked at a reasonable pace, certainly not slow enough to warrant getting bumped into by the careless Kumo ninja that had approached from behind. The collision caused them both to tumble forward.

"Pay closer attention," the man sneered.

His fingers curled into a tight fist.

"Don't give me a reason to fight," Shinji remarked.

"Don't need to. Word has it that a hostile infantry is invading here soon. Good luck."

He watched as the filthy creature sloughed itself off his form and started barreling onward. This person mentioned something about an infantry. Even more shinobi. At least he had a reasonable excuse to attack those.

"Heh... 'Good luck,' he says. I hope he dies. I should kill him myself. I really should."

But he wasn't going to. He was preserving his energy for targets that wouldn't raise a criminal bounty.

Listening in more closely as he progressed, something caught his ear. Had they already arrived?
Shinsou

Re: An Ambush and a Reunion (Raika)

PostPosted by Raika » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 am

Blood red eyes stared at the ground, taking in her former teammate's somewhat distant encounter with scent and sound.... He hadn't changed.

The streets of this town were so easy to hide in. No one bothered to look down and see the young white-haired girl, aside from the occasional child or elderly human. Sometimes a passing ojii-san or obaa-san patted the shy girl's head with a smile before moving along... but there were so many other shinobi here, just moving about, waiting, preparing.

Little Koyuki paused midstep, listening quietly and scenting the air.

The attack was coming.

A small child cried for their mother, and the young, human-Henge'd dragoness gently picked up the little human and darted though the crowd, passing directly in front of Shinji-san almost without realizing it, too busy locating the child's mother by scent. And when she had found her, the girl wordlessly reunited the two before darting back off into the crowd, blood red eyes turning calm as a reassuring touch from nothing met her palm.

And as the first volley of kunai rained down and the first attackers leapt in with ninjutsu and taijutsu and weaponry alike, a few handsigns kept her safe before she plucked a kunai from the ground and pounced, taking an attacker from behind and slicing deep.
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

PostPosted by Shinsou » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 am

The first volley of kunai heralded the crowd to burst into hysterics. At first it was difficult to make out exactly what was going on since everyone ran around at once, but a familiar presence became immediately clear to Shinji as she ran past him with a scooped up child. From the looks of it, she was using her sensing ability to find its mother.

"Koyuki...?"

It was. His old teammate. She hadn't changed.

Shinji pushed through the crowd of people in order to make his way to the girl.

"F.ucking move!" he commanded; a rather futile practice.

Watching as best he could, Koyuki grabbed one of the weapons and lunged toward an assailant, shoving the blade into them. Two more men appeared, one at each of her sides. They were doing that thing with the hands shinobi always do when they're trying to conjure elements. The dragoness was outnumbered at the time, but not for long.

Shinji started running, pushing people to the ground as he did to clear the way.

"On your left!" he alerted. His voice should have been familiar.

Slinging himself into the air, he reached to his back and pulled Sakanade into grip. As he began his descent in the arch, he readied the sword and plunged it forward, taking precise aim at the face of the rogue coming from the right. The cold, sharp metal became introduced to their face—entering and exiting out the back of their head, pushing it into the dirt.

Most shinobi were so brittle, but he trusted little Koyuki to handle her other opponent just fine.

--

Looking about, he tried to gauge exactly how many there were. It was a small-scale invasion in a loosely populated area, and the Kumoteikoku Empire brass were not that likely to intercede with anything more than a couple of groups.

Lost in his train of thought, someone interrupted. Someone he recognized.

"Stand down, outsider." Black chakra flowed out from the man's body. The darkness element?

"What? I'm helping fend off the invasion. Aren't you that clumsy dolt who bumped into me?"

"No, you're killing people within Kumoteikoku grounds."

"I'm killing intruders on Kumoteikoku grounds."

"Stand down or I will make you." The man poised himself into a fighting stance.

"Yeah? And where's your army?"

"You see it."

Dozens upon dozens of men revealed themselves. They appeared as blurs at first, but soon took full form. All of them were decked out in armored combat gear, and all of them showcased varied types of chakra. Shinji assumed he was staring down their leader. That was the only real explanation of how the man knew about the invasion before it happened.

"Good luck?"

Was he being mocked?

He hated being mocked. Especially by a shinobi.
Last edited by Shinsou on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinsou

PostPosted by Raika » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:26 pm

The kunai cut cleanly through the man's throat, and he went down with a gurgle.

"On your left!"

Blood red eyes glanced over her shoulder, watching as Shinji-san killed the attacker on her right, just as an invisible force tore out the left enemy's throat, blood spilling as that one, too, collapsed with a gurgle.

Koyuki moved quietly after her former teammate without hesitation, cutting down whatever enemy decided to attack herself or a civilian in her path.

"Stand down, outsider."

"What? I'm helping fend off the invasion. Aren't you that clumsy dolt who bumped into me?"

"No, you're killing people within Kumoteikoku grounds."

"I'm killing intruders on Kumoteikoku grounds."

"Stand down or I will make you."

"Yeah? And where's your army?"

"You see it."

...hm. That was a lotta enemies. But, they weren't BOLT, so it was obvious that they really were enemies.... Omoi-oneechan and Otoha-sensei probably wouldn't mind if they all died. Though it'd be better to catch at least one of them alive to give to Omoi-oneechan....

"Ne, Shinji-san, don't kill the leader-san, just make sure he won't be a threat so we can capture him, desu. Though I could go after him if you're not interested, desu."

The girl's words were soft, quiet, blood red eyes peeking through long white bangs as she looked up at Shinji-san, suddenly beside him, battle-calm taken over.

One man fell with a gurgle, throat laid open, while another screamed as bloody claw marks appeared on their shoulder and back, and yet another was sent flying by an invisible force, slamming into a nearby wall, and another enemy howled and covered their face, blood oozing through their fingers.
Raika

PostPosted by Shinsou » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:26 pm

"No," Shinji replied, shaking his head. "I can handle the leader."

He pulled the konbuki from the cranium of the first fallen opponent and readied himself in a fighting stance.

"Besides... given their numbers, the others together are just as strong as the leader."

The leader weaved handseals. Before his eyes, the twelve underlings each spawned a doppelganger. It was a literal shadow clone—or, more accurately, a darkness element clone. Shinji had never witnessed one person multiplying other people. But nevertheless, twelve became twenty-four; one more counting the son of a bitch grinning at him in front of the battalion.

It didn't help that there were even more fighters sprawled out around the main ones. Just how many people had to invade before someone decided to send in the military? Was the Cloud Senate even aware of the invasion to begin with?

Shinji didn't know, and he didn't have time to think about it. The leader was on the prowl.

"I hope your taijutsu is up to snuff."

"Why don't you try me and find out?"

The leader sent a forceful punch toward Shinji. He raised the hilt of Sakanade, blocking its force. In the struggle, he found that he was being pushed back. The heels of his feet dug into the ground and he tried to maintain his composure.

"I'm more than just a shinobi with magic tricks. I'm a disciplined and accomplished fighter, little boy."

The leader spun from his position, delivering a swift kick into Shinji's side. It forced him away sliding. He picked himself up with a grimace and turned his head upward to notice that one of the underlings had closed the distance to him.

"You cheap bastards..."

"No, 61. You leave the samurai brat to me. Focus your numbers on the kunoichi."

He was referring to Koyuki. The underling turned his position to face her, which prompted Shinji to as well.

"Pay attention."

A rookie mistake. Upon looking away, the leader delved a knee into Shinji, combining it with a maneuver to point his upturned palms at the chest of the samurai, blasting him to the ground with an explosive burst of wind. Futon was the second element. It was hard enough when the confusing darkness energy was all he had to worry about, but there was much more.

There was more to be revealed about all of the rogues.

"Uh, Koyuki... This is going to be more difficult than I imagined."
Shinsou

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Blood red eyes were watching, studying, taking everything in.

Darkness: probably Meiton or Kageton.

A sudden burst of wind, shooting her friend into the air.

The the third would probably be, if there was one....

"Suiton," the girl murmured, a few quick handsignals to her invisible summons sending Shunme to send the word to Shinji-san while giving instructions to her remaining summons.

A gentle voice murmured into Shinji's ear, saying, "Koyuki wants to tell you that if the leader has a third element, it will be water, young samurai. Now I must return to help her... good luck."

Meanwhile, blood was being spilt amongst the other enemies, limbs being lost and throats being torn out, chests being stabbed and throats being slashed. And after the message had been delivered, electricity started shocking and bones started breaking as little Koyuki danced amidst the chaos in perfect calm, still wielding the first kunai she had picked up as her summons helped her take down her enemies....
Raika

PostPosted by Shinsou » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Shinji panted, resting on his knee with his konbuki tip in the dirt. One of those creatures from before offered its council.

"Koyuki wants to tell you that if the leader has a third element, it will be water, young samurai. Now I must return to help her... good luck."

"Got it. You tell Koyuki that everything will be fine." Shinji spoke with a the tone of a person with unyielding confidence, but the person inside of him wasn't so sure. Nevertheless, he was going to do everything in his power to defeat this cocky f.ucking shinobi.

"Aw. Little sammy need a breather?"

"Shut it. What's your name anyway?"

"Heh. I guess there is no harm in telling you. I am Shofu of the Kiryoudan."

"And what of your minions? Where did they come from and why are you attacking Kumo?"

"Oh, them? Actually... It's more like him."

"What are you talking about?"

"Those 'minions' as you so put it. Actually..."
--
The original twelve merged back together, becoming the six they originally were. Further they merged still, until all of them had combined together into one being. Anyone who was able to detect chakra concentrations would immediately become keen to the fact that theirs had condensed to a large degree, emerging as a vast pool in similar degree to Shofu himself.

"You can bring out a thousand summons. It's not going to make a difference."

The new being approached a body of water, grinning toward Koyuki and her beasts. The natures of his chakra matched that of the one Shinji faced. After performing the necessary handseals with skillful speed, his arm extended toward the water, applying enough chakra to make it gush outward toward Koyuki and her summons with great enough force to blow them away. "Now you—all of you—die."
--

"...He's my brother, Rashi."

"And your purpose for attacking here?"

"Simple. We crush the Raikage and the village that exiled us."

Without warning, Shofu twirled a kunai into grip and lunged toward Shinji. In response, Shinji brought up his konbuki with just enough time to spare before his head was cut off. The two blades clashed, and again, Shinji was being pushed back. It seemed like his body was no match for the impeccable conditioning of the shinobi, as much as it pained him to realize it.

"But first I crush a pompous little samurai brat while my brother handles that ugly twat."

"I told you to shut your mouth."

With a grimace, Shinji mustered his inherent strength and released it, pushing against the kunai.

"Ohhh, I see. So you're fighting for someone other than yourself for once."

"Actually I'm fighting to slash your throat open."

"I wish you the very best of luck with that."

Shinji was being mocked again. It made his blood boil.

Tensing his arm, Shofu released Futon chakra into the blade, sharpening and strengthening; at once, the konbuki was sent off trajectory, causing Shinji to lose his sense of balance. Shofu promptly sent a straight push kick into the abdomen of the young samurai, pushing him away with such astonishing force that he went airborne, landing with his back skidding along the terrain.

"Goddamnit..." he said, clenching the handle of his konbuki tightly.
Shinsou

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 pm

"'Yuki-chan, they've both got a large amount of chakra," came a voice from atop the girl's shoulder, the summon keeping itself invisible.

The sudden explosion of water, and Koyuki was vaulting atop the back of a suddenly-visible armored gryphon, settling into the saddle as the gryphon shot into the sky to escape the flood, her remaining summons all going invisible and ethereal if they hadn't already been so, the water safely passing through the spirits.

She needed a way to defeat this guy, but... how, when she couldn't even manage to get close?

The man was redirecting the water up at her and Sora-kun when she got the idea, suddenly standing in the saddle and forming handsigns before she dove down, a puff of smoke surrounding her....

A white shape dove into the water, struggling fiercely against the current as it slammed her down, a growl ripping in her throat as the little albino dragoness kept swimming.

She just needed to get close enough....
Raika

PostPosted by Shinsou » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 am

Rashi watched as a gryphon and its master shot into the air. His eyes narrowed in response.

He manipulated the control of the water so that it aimed toward them in the sky, hoping to plow into them. Not so. A puff of smoke surrounded the area, leading Rashi to conclude that they had either escaped, vanished, or were planning a high-speed assault toward him. It never occurred to him that they could have actually dove into the water. Not that it really mattered in the end, but still.

More quick handseals.

"Water Release: Rising Wall!"

Stamping his foot into the ground, a huge pillar overcame the water and shot upwards from the ground, hopefully blasting Koyuki into the air. His eyes began to morph, a doujutsu activated with an ability that was not yet known. When the water and smoke cleared, only Koyuki would remain. In preparation, Rashi reached to his side-pouch and unlatched it, equipping a peculiar cobalt kunai and honing to strike.
--
Meanwhile...

Shinji stood, but he was met with a struggle as Shofu closed the gap between them and clashed sword with kunai. Shinji tried to stand, but his knees were buckling. He managed to regain some of his lost composure and apply pressure to the knife. Then he changed tactics, using the momentum applied by Shofu to kick himself away from the radius. The tip of his konbuki fell to the dirt and his body rotated.

Sure enough, combined with released Spiritual Energy, a large billow of condensed dust filled the area surrounding him. Shofu waited. With another flick of his konbuki, more energy dispersed. Shinji lunged from the dust cloud straight toward his opponent.

An illusion formed; a bestial incarnation of the samurai trailing close behind him.

"What?! What is that?..."

Shinji grinned, then disappeared in a flash. Shofu tried to clash with Shinji, but his body was gone. He appeared beside the experienced shinobi, slashing toward their neck. Shofu reacted quickly, throwing himself to the right so that the blade tip grazed his cheek.

"So you aren't unbeatable after all," boasted Shinji.

"You nicking my cheek proves nothing," Shofu responded, wiping and smearing the blood.

"Sure it does. It proves you're not as infallible as you seem to think."

Shofu sneered and retook his lost battle stance. Shinji did the same.
Shinsou

Return to Kumonoshin | "The Heart of Kumo"