Shoot to Thrill ~~~> | [Seishin]

Outside the walls of the major cities, the Snow Empire boasts a variety of climates and landscapes. From the frozen glacial desert of the north, to the deciduous rain forest in the south, the four provinces are fun to discover for those who can keep their wits about them. Wild beasts of primitive and dangerous proportions loom in the corners of even its most barren wastelands, and the criminal elements are almost free to roam anyplace that is secluded from civilization.

Shoot to Thrill ~~~> | [Seishin]

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:12 pm

"Damn." Ninoya cursed under her breath, letting her bow drop to her side as she looked at the tree a few dozen meters from her position. It wasn't perfect. Her shots just were not perfect.

She walked down the small hill and to the tall tree that had been taking arrow upon arrow into its trunk. A light film of snow on the ground crunched beneath Ninoya's green sandals. The girl pulled the few arrows she shot from the tree, looking over the target she had engraved into the trunk. There was a wide circle and within that a smaller circle. The perfect shot was directly in the center of the target. Aggravated Ninoya was unable to get a "perfect" shot off from the distance she was at. She always hit the inner circle, but not the direct center.

It pissed her off.

Snow crunched beneath her weight as she knelt once more, pulling back the string on her bow. "Okay. Just focus." At this point frustration was more of a hindrance than her lack of skill as a genin. If she could just learn to focus, remain calm, and--

Thud.

The arrow hit the line between outer and inner circle. Her worst shot so far. "God damn it!" She screamed, her free hand slamming against the tree beside her. She dropped her bow and wrapped her free hand around her now-injured one. "Shit. Stupid trees." She hissed, looking up to the targeted tree.

Ninoya's eyes flickered over to an elk moving about in the forest. It must have been startled by the archer's outburst. She picked pulled another arrow from her holster and picked up her bow, pulling back the tense string. Pushing chakra into the arrow, Ninoya could feel her weapon strengthening.

Had she taken a few seconds to think about what was happening, she would have stopped. She would not have prepped her bow and aimed it for the innocent creature. But she didn't, and she let the string go and the arrow flew toward the elk.

~~~>

It was an instant death as the arrow pierced the animal's heart. Ninoya had done many missions that required her to hunt deer and elk for snow country villages, she knew how to kill. This wasn't for a mission or survival though, this was out of anger.

Exhaling, Ninoya took a moment to look at the creature fall. Anger was slowly fading to guilt, and frustration toward herself.

Spoiler:
Name: Concentrated Bow and Arrow ~~~>
Range: Direct Contact
Jutsu Type: Yumijutsu
Elemental Affinity: --
Clan: --

Description: In a pinch, especially in close combat, Ninoya may need to resort to fighting hand-to-hand or with a weapon. If she has no weapons but her bows and arrows, she will use them to fight up close. To help with this, Ninoya will push chakra into her bow and/or arrows to give them more "substance" and power; this will allow her to fight using her arrows and bows like direct contact weapons, rather than ranged weapons. They will also be less fragile and not as easy to break.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Re: Shoot to Thrill ~~~> | [Seishin]

PostPosted by Shinsou » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Asoka strolled through the wilderness in the cold Yukigakure climate. It caused her teeth to chatter, her nose and cheeks to flush red.

"God damn it!" echoed from the area. The sudden noise caused her to stammer.

She started moving toward the source, trying her best to locate the distressed individual. She doubted they were in any kind of danger. The tone suggested frustration. Asoka huddled her arms close. If that girl was frustrated because of how cold it was, she could sympathize.

Stopping a few meters from a fallen elk, her arms fell and her mouth went agape.

"...Ugh!"

Rushing to its side, she knelt down beside the animal. She frowned, disgusted. The blood from its heart poured into the powdery snow, icing over in no time at all. She reached for the arrow and yanked it out. With her hands resting on the creature, her eyes darted to find her target. Asoka locked her gaze on a girl standing a few meters away. From the looks of it, she wielded a bow. It was her arrow.

She stood again, demonstrating her intense speed to appear in front of Ninoya.

"I hope you were planning to eat this elk. Feed a starving family. Something. What is it?"

Asoka raised the arrow until the blood-soaked tip was facing its shooter.
Shinsou

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Stupid Ninoya. Why did you have to kill the thing? She lowered her bow again, using her free hand to rub her temples. What was she going to do, let the thing rot there? Maybe she would find a use for it, bring it one of the nearby villages. They always appreciated the fresh meat. What a pain this was turning out to be.

Speechless, the archer watched as some young woman pulled the sharpened arrow from the fallen game. "What the..." She muttered, examining how poorly dressed the girl appeared to be. Ninoya had a green scarf and a thin cloak to lessen the cold sting of the Snow Country weather. She was used to it, but this woman didn't look like it.

"Hey. That arrow is--" She was way too fast. As the athletic girl almost seemed to appear in front of Ninoya, a few strands of her orange hair swayed from the light incoming wind. "--mine."

What a show off. And like that, the Yuki-nin's blood was boiling once more.

Ninoya couldn't help but feel threatened. The short haired girl had moved so quickly to Ninoya's position, the archer barely had time to react, and now the girl was pointing a weapon at her? She didn't seem like a bad person, but Ninoya wasn't about to take any of her shit.

"Target practice. I wasn't sure what I was going to be doing with it," lied Ninoya. She would've snatched the arrow from the quick girl's hand, but the archer feared some sort of negative retaliation. "It's none of your business, honestly. It isn't like I'm out here shooting people!" Bow in hand, Ninoya placed her other on her hip. She didn't like this girl, so she was giving her some classic Ninoya attitude. "So what of it?"

"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Shinsou » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:22 pm

"Target practice. I wasn't sure what I was going to be doing with it. It's none of your business, honestly. It isn't like I'm out here shooting people!" Asoka maintained her stare at Ninoya, giving only a light sigh as the girl tried to explain her actions.

"So what of it?"

The last bit caused her eyes to narrow in anger. Her nose scrunched slightly.

She twirled the arrow in her hand, inserting her Jinton chakra into its base. Looking over her shoulder, she saw the tree upon which the girl had been target practicing. Her mouth twisted to the side and one eye closed to achieve a dead sight on the target center. She flailed the arrow using only her arm and phalanges. The weapon moved with speed that bested an imperceptive eye, hitting perfectly in the center.

Turning her head back around, the target began to crack until it broke. The arrow penetrated the tree and left the other side.

"It's murder. Animals have senses, thoughts, emotions, and some of them even have speech. As shinobi fighting for a righteous cause, we are taught to bring those who murder innocents to justice. Kill them if we have to, like you killed that elk."

She about-faced the girl and started walking away.

"I don't plan to kill you. But you deserve to be spanked like a child who refuses to get a grip on her impulses."
Shinsou

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Ninoya's eyes followed the arrow as is soared through one tree and into another. From this distance it was still easy to see-- this chick made a dead bull's eye on Ninoya's target. She looked nothing of a weaponry expert, or an archer for that matter, so it only annoyed the fiery headed girl even more. Oh it just... it just made her want to scream. Ninoya had been out here for an hour trying to do what this new comer did in her first try.

"M-murder?!" She gritted her teeth. "Don't preach to me about righteous causes, lady. I'm a part of White Ops here in the Land of Snow." Now she sort of backed herself into a corner. What sort of member of a military-like force goes around killing animals for no other reason than emotional instability?

The archer's rage was only fueled further by this lady's parting comment. This bitch was a stuck up show off! "I'll have you know the elk will be taken to Ōkuma!" A nearby small town. That wasn't enough though, Ninoya didn't feel satisfied. Was she really going to let this lady walk all over her, spewing insults, and then just waltz off?

Ninoya had plenty of control over her impulses!

Pulling back on her bow so it made a thwang, a new arrow was ready to be launched. "That's right, then. Just walk off. You're too much of a coward to give me that 'spanking' aren't you?" There was a mighty fire in her voice. Ninoya couldn't remember the last time someone had her so aggravated.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Shinsou » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 pm

"Don't preach to me about righteous causes, lady. I'm a part of White Ops here in the Land of Snow. "

She stopped walking and paused for a moment, turning her body so that her right arm was out of view.

"Never heard of them," she said, speaking under her breath.

"I'll have you know the elk will be taken to Ōkuma!"

Asoka faced the girl and gave a half shrug. At least the poor elk would serve a purpose, assuming the chick wasn't lying to save face.

"That's what I would expect a decent person to do. Salvage the life you tore asunder."

Her brow quirked when she noticed that Ninoya had taken a combative stance–with the bow armed and an arrow pointing directly at her. She unclipped the satchel tied to her waist with the hand her own body concealed, bringing a kunai into grip as a measure of defensive preparation. It was surprising how determined the stranger was, despite the showcase of superiority moments prior.

"That's right, then. Just walk off. You're too much of a coward to give me that 'spanking' aren't you?"

She turned her body all the way. There was a distance of a few meters between them at that point.

"You're a hotheaded one, ain'tcha? I only pointed out what I thought you deserved. I never threatened you or implied that I'd be the one to do it. Maybe you just feel threatened by me." She raised the knife for battle. "Yeah, I think that's it."
Shinsou

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Though her lips were shut to a frown, her teeth were tightly pushed together. Had Ninoya the awful habit of grinding her teeth, there would be no doubt that Asoka would hear it from her short distance from the archer.

Her fingers remained wrapped around the wire connecting the ends of her bow. "A total stranger doesn't tell me what I deserve." Ninoya said sternly. Who was she to say that Ninoya could be killed for her actions? Animal life was one thing, but human life? Life was life, though, maybe Ninoya shouldn't have been the one to judge. All these thoughts and more were raising through the White Ops member's head.

"You're so full of it." Threatened?! This girl thought she was some sort of God! Ninoya was past her boiling point now. She could barely hold the bow in her hand, it was shaking so much. "Stuck up bitch!" She screamed, released her string as the arrow shot toward the shinobi, it was set to land somewhere her right shoulder.

~~~>

It was a novice aimed shot, so it was going to be a bit off.

Ninoya plucked out another arrow and "reloaded" her bow, taking a few steps back from her current location as she kept her eyes on the swift ninja. The archer knew how fast she was, and losing track of her would be a big mistake.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Shinsou » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Every time Ninoya spoke, Asoka volunteered a counter remark. It seemed the entire goal of the archer was to provoke and boast, which would have been unwise in a real confrontation. Asoka refrained from the idea of significantly wounding her assailant, or even showing aggression. She figured the lackadaisical approach made it easier to get under Ninoya's skin. It was the only option to make things valuable.

"A total stranger doesn't tell me what I deserve."

"I'm just as qualified to make judgment calls about you as you are about me."

"You're so full of it."

"Clearly."

"Stuck up bitch!"

"You should stop that."

She was intentionally unclear in her message, since she was referring to different things at once: the trembling, outburst of anger and the presumption that she was bragging. Shortly after mouthing off, Ninoya fired the arrow from the bow. Her eyes focused on the tip as it sailed through the air, and she made herself prone. Rotating her body away from harm, she jabbed the kunai upwards and cut the arrow in half.

Asoka reclaimed her previous position and popped her neck as the arrow halves hit the snow.

"You're mistaking the expression of simple observations as me being arrogant. I'm actually quite humble. I worked my butt off trying to achieve the level that my body has reached, and for only one purpose: to uphold my nindō."

She rushed behind Ninoya, raising the kunai to her throat with the blade away from the skin. It was a scare tactic.

"As far as you're concerned, that means to be faster than you. Whatcha gonna do about it, Miss Archer?"

At this point, her only goal was to provoke Ninoya. Teach her a lesson about recklessly choosing her battles. In truth, she only wished to help the younger girl to value self-preservation over being in love with her own ego enough to go barreling out into a fight with someone clearly superior. That was the reason she 'showed off'—as Ninoya liked to assume—with her speed and aim to begin with.

Could her message get through before things turned violent? It depended on how much teaching Ninoya needed.
Shinsou

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 am

Snap!

Ninoya barely saw it-- the girl breaking her arrow in two with a kunai. This was a warning signal for the archer. She kept her eyes on the athletic girl, even as she continued to infuriate Ninoya with her words.

"Humble my ass," she said, under her breath. Though just loud enough that Asoka was likely to hear it.

It was almost no use reasoning with the orange haired shinobi now. Perhaps Asoka would get through with some patience, but Ninoya was showing no signs of slowing down or cooling off.

"Wha--" Ninoya had begun to turn with her opponent, struggling to keep up with her quick movements. But as she seemingly "appeared" behind Ninoya, it was too late. From behind, Asoka had a kunai but a centimeter from the archer's neck.

What was Ninoya to do? Surrender? This girl was a pain in her ass, a complete annoyance, and a stuck up brat as far as Ninoya was concerned. But she didn't strike the archer as a killer. She wasn't about to lose her dignity to this girl. She had to make a move.

"I'll show you!"

Dropping her bow and arrow to the snow below, Ninoya formed a couple hand signs. At the same time, she leaped backwards into Asoka. She wasn't sure what to expect, whether Asoka was just a wall of muscle and wouldn't even budge, or if she'd back way from Ninoya and allow her to tumble backwards. Either way, Ninoya had swiftly prepared her Spark technique. Electricity was jumping from hand to hand, now. The girl would only block and destroy Ninoya's arrows, so she'd have to use ninjutsu. It seemed to fair a better chance.

Ninoya attempted to make a grab for Asoka with her electrically-charged hands. Should she have missed, which was likely, she would unleash the lightning in Asoka's general direction. Now, Ninoya was a but a genin. A hot headed genin. She couldn't control the lightning very well at all. It wasn't a straight blast of lightning, but a spider web of it.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Shinsou » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:05 pm

"Humble my ass."

Asoka smirked

She continued to hold the kunai to the throat of the archer. There was only one thing she could have done in a predicament like that, and it was to kick backwards to try and knock her assailant off balance. Asoka was prepared for something like that.

"I'll show you!"

Her eyebrows flexed instinctively at the warning. Asoka maintained a steadiness by placing chakra into the soles of her feet–the same principle as sticking to a wall or walking on water, only doubly as effective on solid, natural ground. Using the momentum from the push that the archer offered, she amplified it within herself using Jinton and moved backwards in a powerslide, safely unhinging the kunai from its arch.

The lightning nearly caught her off guard, but she was fine as long as she was moving backward. It quickly dispersed.

The range was about five meters. So we'll give her some slack and double that...

When she reached the thirty-two foot mark, she stopped sliding and threw the kunai into the ground as a marker.

"Ten meters. That's the maximum range you have before your arrows and jutsu lose enough steam to be ineffective."

That's fine and all, but she's just not getting the picture.

Asoka reached around and tightened the knot on the band hanging around her forehead.

Starting from that point, she darted toward the archer, zigzagging through the trees along the way in order to attempt a disorientation tactic. Whether or not Ninoya ended up confused, it would have said something about her if she could have detected Asoka's approach soon enough to respond to it. Stopping in front of the girl, Asoka raised a knee on the left and pushed it harshly into her stomach.

Dipping down, her mouth rested just above Ninoya's ear.

"You know, you're kinda cute when you try."
Shinsou

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Shinobi lightning was different from regular lightning. From nature, lightning was an incredible and destructive force. Raiton energy regenerated from Ninoya and other lower tier ninja were just a fraction of that power. Had Ninoya been a little older, a little more mature, and a lot stronger she could have hit Asoka. Of course, Ninoya wasn't thinking that now. Her mind was too enraged with Asoka to think about the future.

"Oh, come on." She hissed under her breath. Spinning on her heel, lowering her center of mass, and extending out her arm, the girl picked up her bow and arrow from the cold ground and immediately reformed the classic archer stance. In a day or two Ninoya would think back to how cool that was.

"Analyzing my attacks now?" What made it worse was that her opponent was right. Ten meters was pretty much it for techniques, even for her best shot arrow. Anything beyond that was just going to be a minor wound. All but one technique, anyway. "You don't know anything!" She insisted.

Just as the girl begin moving Ninoya released her arrow after poorly following her target for but a moment. ~~~> The archer figured it was better to try and hit her then not at all. Her enemy was just too fast. Ninoya grabbed another arrow from her holster and immediately began drawing back the bow, just in time to get kneed in the gut.

Thwang.

The arrow was prematurely released and it fell pathetically somewhere in the snow, as if a child had tried using Ninoya's bow. That's what she felt like right now, anyway. A child. Had the sudden pain not knocked the wind out of her she might have even called out for her mother.

"Euuh..." She put both hands on her stomach and fell to her knees, struggling to keep one of her eyes open when she could barely even manage to keep her head up. Her head was in the snow now, she trembled slightly, as the witch whispered to her. An antagonizing witch.

Despite being in so much pain, Ninoya was clever. Through her trembling and holding her abdomen, the Yuki-nin quietly formed a few hand signs. "Don't..." She began, taking in a deep gulp of air as she regained her breathing and ignored the pain Asoka had dealt upon her. "Don't mock me!" Electricity pulsed through Ninoya's right index and middle fingers as she brought her arm up toward her opponent and used her other hand and legs to fling herself a short distance away.

~~~>

What resembled a streak of lightning emerged from Ninoya's fingers and shot straight for Asoka. Had the conditions been different Ninoya would have focused, aimed, and then released her technique. It wasn't as effective as it could have been, but a close range Raiton technique was still dangerous. What was the greatest about this technique, given Asoka's assumptions, was that it was most effective up to twenty meters. It was unlikely that Asoka was going to hurl herself back that far to avoid this whole technique, but in the off chance that she did, well... she'd be hurting.

Such an attack took a chunk of Ninoya's chakra from her. It also really strained her hand. She was an amateur at the art of lightning, so to keep her attacks concentrated she needed to use but a couple fingers to keep the Raiton energy compact. Having so much chakra in the literal hand of a genin was bound to cause issues.

Spoiler:
Name: Straight Shot ~~~>
Range: Close (0m ~ 5m), Mid (5m ~ 10m), Far (10m+)
Jutsu Type: Ninjutsu
Elemental Affinity: Lightning [Raiton]
Clan: --

Description: Once the required hand signs are complete, Ninoya will charge the index and middle fingers on her right hand (the hand she uses to fire arrows, and the fingers she uses to release the string on the bow) with lightning chakra. Ninoya will be able to shoot a concentrated streak of lightning from her index and middle fingers, with the streak having a range of about twenty meters; after this point the technique will be considerably weaker and merely disperse upon hitting anything.
Given that Ninoya is an archer, she will pretend to draw back the string on a bow with her right hand, and support the bow with her left. This allows her concentration and focus. Once she "releases" the invisible string with her right index and middles fingers, she will simultaneously fire the Straight Shot from them.
Last edited by Oddric on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I FORGOT A PERIOD.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Shinsou » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 pm

As Asoka watched the archer face-down in the snow, she started to feel bad. She wished that the chick could have just gotten the message and gave up, but that didn't seem like it was in the cards with her current approach. Ninoya was a hothead, and another attack was probably imminent. Asoka knew the range of the girl, so as soon as she got finished whispering, she took the opportunity to gain some distance.

"Don't..."

"Don't?"

"Don't mock me!"

"Ah."

A flare of electrical current released from the fingertips of the archer, making its way to slam into Asoka.

"Reduced Atmosphere."

She wasted no time in weaving handseals, with a technique in mind to fall back on when things looked sketchy. Asoka thrust her palms outward, splitting her Jinton chakra and creating a shockwave. Despite the electrical concentration of power—relative to the previous outputted discharges of its predecessors—it was not enough to endure being swallowed up by the mass of force that emerged from her grasp.

The force carried itself farther than dismantling the Straight Shot. It was honing in on Ninoya. Although blasting an opponent at a closer, more direct range could have caused significant damage, in this case it only served to blow Ninoya wayward. She'd feel a partial contact of the blast and most sane people that arrogant would have felt it in their pride, but there was something telling Asoka it wouldn't deter her.

Moving past the filth, Asoka noticed Ninoya not too far in the distance.

"You think I'm an idiot? I wasn't ever planning to underestimate you–not even once since we first started this little tussle. That's how I approach all of my fights. The difference between you and me is that I'm just better. You knew this, and I demonstrated it to you. That's the very reason you shouldn't have provoked me after I started walking away, you baka."

She dismounted from the dirty snow and lunged into the air, coming closer to the fallen archer until she was hovering. Reaching into a satchel at her side, she retrieved a kunai and chucked it at the girl. It impaled into the ground beside her head; a purposeful miss.

"You're already dead."

Landing near the girl, her fist was driven into the ground, leaving a crater on the opposite side of Ninoya's cranium.

"Dead."

Reaching over, she plucked the kunai, showing Ninoya the unlit explosive note that was already attached to it.

"Dead."

She moved downward, getting into the girl's face.

"Do you get it now?!"

A direct approach, but not one Asoka was above when it came to drilling a lesson until it hit home.

Spoiler:
Name: Reduced Atmosphere
Range: 1 – 10 M.
Jutsu Type: Ninjutsu
Element: Jinton (Swift Release)
Description: This is an offensive and defensive technique developed by Asoka that utilizes aspects from the composites that combine to form the Swift Release, fire and wind. Her chakra will separate itself into its base natures and come together in the formation of a powerful shockwave composed from superheated air. Coming into contact with this concussive force would blow a shinobi away to a painful degree, similar to being caught in an explosion. Strongest against wind, lightning, combinations of those, projectiles and bodies; weakest against water, fire and their combinations.
Shinsou

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:32 am

The bright light from Ninoya's attack caused an extra shadow to be cast on all objects around it. For a brief moment, a split second, the archer felt incredibly clever. Proud even. She thought it was an intelligent move on her part, forming the required hand signs for her technique while doubled over. Had it been any other opponent she might have even landed a hit. It was nice while it lasted, anyway.

Her lightning now dissipated, the incoming shock wave pushed Ninoya back even further, for she was still in midair from her own push off the ground. "Oof!" She tumbled across the forest floor, snow partially covering her fiery hair.

Being tossed several meters like a rag doll and expending so much chakra at once wasn't fairing well with the young shinobi. She wrapped her left hand around her right, at the moment she hadn't the strength to get up. "Damn it." All she could do was listen to Asoka. She wished she could have blocked her ears.

Yelping, Ninoya moved her head. The kunai would have missed anyway, but the girl was in full on attack mode still.

A splatter of ice hit Ninoya as she sat up suddenly, another attempt to avoid Asoka's attack. What she was hit with next was the young woman getting in her face, waving the inactive explosion tag at her. In but a few moments she had three different opportunities to kill the archer. This whole time it could have been over so quickly. It was abundantly clear that Ninoya never stood a chance.

"Yes!" she screamed, waving her left arm toward the taijutsu expert in an attempt to get her to back away. "I get it, God damn it!" She spent a moment getting on her feet again. "I get it." There was a bitterness to her tone, she hated admitting failure.

Ninoya bit her tongue though, avoiding making any smart ass remarks. It would have just dug a hole deeper for herself and it would have made her look stupid, quite frankly. The archer swallowed a spoonful of pride as she just stood there, waiting for whatever other verbal abuse this witch was to cast on her.

A mighty cold suddenly struck Ninoya, her former opponent too; it filled the entire region of the forest. This temperature drop was completely unnatural. Had either of them any expertise in chakra control they would have sensed it to be Hyouton-born-- though Ninoya knew it already. Whatever the athletic girl was saying at the moment, Ninoya completely zoned out and tilted her head up, eyes looking about the cloudy sky. "No." It must been all Ninoya's screaming. Or maybe it was just her Raiton chakra techniques. Had the beast really been able to hone onto Ninoya through her energy alone?

Looking back to the witch, Ninoya had terror in her green eyes. "There's a dragon coming. We need to get out of here." Asoka wasn't a native of the Land of Snow, but surely she had heard of the recent dragon outbreak. Though it must have seemed strange Ninoya assumed it was coming for them. "There's one of them that's been hunting me. Please, get out of here." Ninoya didn't want to make Asoka come with her, it would be putting her in danger. The beast only truly wanted the archer. "We don't have much time."

As if on cue, a fearsome roar fell upon the forest from a distance.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Shinsou » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:25 am

"Yes! I get it, God damn it! I get it."

She sighed, both out of relief for not having to continue fighting and for Ninoya registering her message. As they stood from the ground, she wrapped her arms around the archer and hugged her, seemingly out of nowhere, but not uncharacteristic of Asoka.

"I'm sorry for hurting you. There's just a lot of unforgiving people around here, y'know? People who start confrontations for petty reasons. You have to be more humble about how you approach others. That or just be the stronger one."

Continuing to reach around, Asoka gently wringed the dirty water from Ninoya's hair, then finally let her be.

A sudden, harsh coldness struck the area and the expression of the archer started to resemble that of a zombie. She twisted her lips to the side and waved her hand over the face of the girl, but to no avail. Something was adequately occupying her attention.

"No."

"No? What do y–"

"There's a dragon coming. We need to get out of here." She started to respond yet again, but was cut off. Letting Ninoya continue was best. "There's one of them that's been hunting me. Please, get out of here. We don't have much time."

She just said dragon, didn't she? I think she did.

"So, uh... a 'dragon?' Really? I've heard of some zingers, but you can paint me skeptical about that–"

She stopped mid-sentence, eyes widening out of instinct. A loud roar ripped straight through the atmosphere and took up vacancy in her ears, sending a massive chill down her spine. It was almost as if the transaction of the ferocious noise to her senses made the core of her body rattle and vibrate. It was a truly frightening presence. Asoka almost wanted to cry from the idea of what the sound erupted from.

Taking a gulp, she turned around to face her demise, nearly as frozen as the snow beneath her footwear.

"Do you remember what I said about picking your battles?"

She brought a shaking hand up to her teeth, clamped down and sparked the explosive note. Rearing back, she threw the knife. Aided by her chakra, it sailed until hitting its mark, becoming lodged beneath one of the dragon's scales. With a loud bang, the dragon stammered in the air, though the extent of the damage was paltry. It was a bit away and Asoka threw hard, but their time drew short.

"Always pick wisely. Run."

Reaching for Ninoya's hand, she tugged her along and started running. The dragon was fast approaching, knocking over several trees that got in its way with the remarkable span of its hardened and outstretched wings. Faster and faster, it picked up momentum toward prey. Cold, luminous green eyes locked on to an archer and a kunoichi. Murderous intent raged inside its heart, congealed with powerful chakra.

"It doesn't matter what else you do. Run and don't let go of my hand! Ever!"

It was true. Both of them needed Asoka's speed if there was any prayer of outgunning this particular beast of burden.

"I'll navigate the front. You keep watch in the back to see what it does and what we should do."

God, I wish I had two pairs of eyes. Maybe three would be better.

The chase was on.
Shinsou

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 am

Spoiler:

They would have time to make up later. Not that Ninoya really wanted to... but she wasn't against being on Asoka's good side.

Ninoya's eyes flicked to the dragon that came into view beyond the reaches of the tree tops. Frostbite, the archer had named the beast, had surely already spotted them.

"That's just gonna piss it off." She took a step back as the explosion went off. As Asoka witnessed, the massive lizard did little more than "trip". Soon it was dive bombing the girls, letting out another unearthly howl.

No argument from the Yuki-nin, she grabbed Asoka's hand and kept up with the women. Running was an issue for poor Ninoya. Her stomach was still ailing her, and she was tired, but the threat of the dragon behind her was more than enough to keep the genin going, despite lagging a bit behind Asoka.

Snap! Crash! Crash!

Trees were falling under the force of the massive beast. However, this particular dragon wasn't very strong. It was young still. Soon it fell behind the running duo with no hope to catch up through the thick of the forest. Rather, it took to the skies again, staying overhead as its blue eyes watched below.

"It's going to keep following us," said Ninoya, letting go a sigh of relief as Frostbite flew above the trees. The whole time it was behind them it had been focusing on Ninoya, see could feel the gaze of the monster on her. "Dragons are very powerful creatures. A large number of them attacked Yuki a few months ago." Ninoya explained. "They all seem to have one element, as well as a massive amount of chakra. The air around them becomes saturated with their chakra, especially if they're in attack mode. Hence the temperature drop from Frostbite up there. The archer was surprised she hadn't heard about the dragon attack. Though, Ninoya hadn't left the Snow Country in a while. Maybe the news wasn't spreading very thoroughly. "But he's a young dragon. There are other ones that are larger and stronger. That's why I've been able to escape him every time. Though that doesn't mean he isn't a threat. If we stay in the woods and keep running we should be able to lose him." If the pair had stopped and taken on the frost dragon they would definitely do some damage, but killing it was unlikely.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Next

Return to ::- Yuki no Kuni - The Great Provinces -::