i'd like to say some things.

Do you have a question on the system? Do you have an idea to make it better? Post here! Good ideas come from everywhere, don't be shy.

Re: i'd like to say some things.

PostPosted by Shinsou » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:16 pm

The most amusing (and painfully eyeroll-worthy) point of contention being that the ideas they rallied against had already been touched upon in the canon. Ideas that, regardless, could have been preserved as a basis and fleshed out into something great. Ideas that actually maintained what the magic Naruto world stood for all along in their own right. lol

And even so, ambitious and thought-provoking Tsu is a good Tsu.
Shinsou

PostPosted by Saga » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:42 pm

shuu wrote:
Tsuneo wrote:If I went ::snop:: here, have everything unlocked, what do you think will happen?

Again, honest question, not rhetorical.

The core usergroup of the site (all active members that have been active for the past year or two or more) will likely not change their creation process at all.

Newer users or a few exceptions to the above group will start using some of the "locked" abilities. They will either likely get bored with them for one of many reasons. Reasons likely being a) they are not as appealing as they sound b) no one will want to RP with them when they have a multitude of these abilities c) once they get them, they won't know what to do with them.

If they don't get bored with them, I think it'll be because either they are good enough writers / amicable enough to attract RPs from other people despite having previously "locked" abilities, or they're just the kind of person that can put on godmode in a video game and still play it for hours on end.

People like (i'm sorry for using you as an example) Barret will likely not even really abuse this stuff; I think if these things were open and allowed for everyone than half of the appeal of them is gone.

This isn't the case for all of those abilities, however; things like the Rinnegan and Infinite Chakra or Genjutsu Immunity make sense.

This . . . for the most part, it's silly for most of the limits in place because they break the logic that the site has grown to have. One can know the Gates or Senjutsu yet can't pass it down? Well, Jerry Jew shinobi Nuke-nin Joe the Dragon Chaser has radiation and flight and he can blow the world up anyway. @__@ We've limited the power of canon and instead made up a world where we'd ROFLSTOMP any canon character ever. As much as it was too late I'm not overly ticked that we up and got rid of canon characters but some of the limits on the ideas that they presented . . . are dated.
ImageImageImage
Saga
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by raiza » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Actually, after spending the day thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that my statement was inappropriate and somewhat incorrect.
However, I do know I have voiced my displeasure a few times, but it was far from being a legitimate discussion and more of me bitching and moaning about stuff.

Since shuu is putting me to shame with me with his logic, I will slink back into obscurity once more!
DEATH PA-N-DA
GO TO HELL!!
(DIVINE PUNISHMENT)
THE DEATH PANDA HELL
IS THIS AN ILLUSION?
(MAYBE NOT)
QUENCH MY THIRST WITH BLOOD
(CATCH ME)
*SQUEEZE SQUEEZE SQUEEZE*
C-COULD THIS BE MY....!!
BURN IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!!
LA-LA-LA-LA
raiza
Bathed in the Blood of a Billion Galaxies

PostPosted by shuu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:11 pm

raiza wrote:Actually, after spending the day thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that my statement was inappropriate and somewhat incorrect.
However, I do know I have voiced my displeasure a few times, but it was far from being a legitimate discussion and more of me bitching and moaning about stuff.

Since shuu is putting me to shame with me with his logic, I will slink back into obscurity once more!

did i really? i didn't intend to
what statement are you talking about
ouch lol
shuu
d
d

PostPosted by Kaitou » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm

To be honest, Tsu, I don't think much would change.

1. An individually can literally do anything/bypass any rule on current NC within the rules. I know for a fact since I used to make my living on here by turning the proverbial box into a limitless world. This is one of the main reasons I don't mod much jutsu anymore. There isn't a point. With enough gusto a user can get whatever they want, whether this be through other modding venues or simply a combination of stacking creation areas on top of one another.

2. People are lazy. NC is a stockpile of characters that can nuke a city just because they feel like it. It never happens. For the most part, persons just relish the fact they have the ability to do this and marinate in their own potential OPitude.

3. Those who wish to do something, simply do it. Due to the stagnancy of villages NC has moved even closer to being a group of cliques. Some RP and some don't. However, you're either going to make something happen or you're not. Unless Mods/Admins are directly influencing the roleplaying experience then what they do has relatively little effect on the end result.

- Don't Be Afraid To Create A World -

- Where You Dream No Little Dream -

Kaitou
Master of Disaster
Master of Disaster

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Saga wrote:This . . . for the most part, it's silly for most of the limits in place because they break the logic that the site has grown to have. One can know the Gates or Senjutsu yet can't pass it down? Well, Jerry Jew shinobi Nuke-nin Joe the Dragon Chaser has radiation and flight and he can blow the world up anyway. @__@ We've limited the power of canon and instead made up a world where we'd ROFLSTOMP any canon character ever. As much as it was too late I'm not overly ticked that we up and got rid of canon characters but some of the limits on the ideas that they presented . . . are dated.

Because as a writer I just don't believe in power for power. It's bad enough for people to sit around and conceive of unstoppable characters, but at least when they do it through their own creativity it's something they came up with.

I wouldn't ever use a character from one of Ryu's clans, for example, but I'm impressed with the thoroughness of it.

Also the logic of the main Narutoverse is silly. Everything about it, in a narrative sense, is silly. Why you would want to copy it or play with the story elements is beyond me. So while I don't think adding the canon stuff back in would necessarily break anything, I don't think it's to anyone's benefit.

That's personal opinion, but hey, I have to ban button so I guess I get to let that go through.

Kaitou wrote:3. Those who wish to do something, simply do it. Due to the stagnancy of villages NC has moved even closer to being a group of cliques. Some RP and some don't. However, you're either going to make something happen or you're not. Unless Mods/Admins are directly influencing the roleplaying experience then what they do has relatively little effect on the end result.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel about it.

I've been lurking on another RP site for a while now, been wanting to do something with it but haven't had the time or the patience to read through all the rules, lol.

But, the way they implement the overall "plot" works really well. Of course, the world they utilize is smaller, just a single city, but the concepts work nicely.

Basically how they work it is:

1. "Events" are not character specific. They simply happen, and everyone participating in the event just reacts to it. Typically around here, an event is basically a stage for whoever is in charge to do something awesome while everyone else struggles to figure out how to fit in.

Kumo actually is probably the best people to do events /similar/ to these, because they did a lot of "Hey Samurai are attacking, what you guys gonna do about it?" Of course, after a while, the thread always ended up being "How high can Supaiku pile the bodies today" but overall they had the right idea.

Actually overall Kumo guys usually have the right idea. If I were new, that's where I'd go.

2. Archetypes are put forward and filled. So, while the typical story is preset and determined, the "players" in it are not NPCs. They open up the archetypes and then let people fill them with their own characters and see what happens.

So for example, let's say we had a story about an evil S-ranked ninja who was raising up dead ninja. The people to stop the S-ranked guy is a team of 5:

1. Low level Genin way over his head
2. Angry Chuunin, looking for revenge
3. Calm masterful ninja who will die in the arc
4. Non-ninja warrior, probably a police officer or local authority, who doesn't have the same chakra power but can be a badass normal.
5. Traitorous guy who works for S-ranked ninja but joins good in the end.

Instead of presetting those players or creating NPCs, those slots are just open. Then if you have something that fits, you do it, and you do the arc and you see what happens.

The problem is that you need someone to write all that out - the site-plot. I don't have time or interest in doing it, and I don't think anyone else could. It'd require a lot of generic plans and generalities that will not personally benefit anyone.

Typically when someone does this, they justify becoming half-demon or founding of a Icecreamgakure or something weird and it sorta ruins it for everyone.

The one time I felt like this sort of thing happened were the old ANBU things Barret did like 5 or 6 years ago.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Kindra » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:03 am

tsu-Ramble no jutsu ^_^

RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow

Kindra
The blue sands puppeteer

PostPosted by Saga » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:26 am

Tsuneo wrote:
Saga wrote:This . . . for the most part, it's silly for most of the limits in place because they break the logic that the site has grown to have. One can know the Gates or Senjutsu yet can't pass it down? Well, Jerry Jew shinobi Nuke-nin Joe the Dragon Chaser has radiation and flight and he can blow the world up anyway. @__@ We've limited the power of canon and instead made up a world where we'd ROFLSTOMP any canon character ever. As much as it was too late I'm not overly ticked that we up and got rid of canon characters but some of the limits on the ideas that they presented . . . are dated.

Because as a writer I just don't believe in power for power. It's bad enough for people to sit around and conceive of unstoppable characters, but at least when they do it through their own creativity it's something they came up with.

I wouldn't ever use a character from one of Ryu's clans, for example, but I'm impressed with the thoroughness of it.

Also the logic of the main Narutoverse is silly. Everything about it, in a narrative sense, is silly. Why you would want to copy it or play with the story elements is beyond me. So while I don't think adding the canon stuff back in would necessarily break anything, I don't think it's to anyone's benefit.

That's personal opinion, but hey, I have to ban button so I guess I get to let that go through.

Kaitou wrote:3. Those who wish to do something, simply do it. Due to the stagnancy of villages NC has moved even closer to being a group of cliques. Some RP and some don't. However, you're either going to make something happen or you're not. Unless Mods/Admins are directly influencing the roleplaying experience then what they do has relatively little effect on the end result.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel about it.

I've been lurking on another RP site for a while now, been wanting to do something with it but haven't had the time or the patience to read through all the rules, lol.

But, the way they implement the overall "plot" works really well. Of course, the world they utilize is smaller, just a single city, but the concepts work nicely.

Basically how they work it is:

1. "Events" are not character specific. They simply happen, and everyone participating in the event just reacts to it. Typically around here, an event is basically a stage for whoever is in charge to do something awesome while everyone else struggles to figure out how to fit in.

Kumo actually is probably the best people to do events /similar/ to these, because they did a lot of "Hey Samurai are attacking, what you guys gonna do about it?" Of course, after a while, the thread always ended up being "How high can Supaiku pile the bodies today" but overall they had the right idea.

Actually overall Kumo guys usually have the right idea. If I were new, that's where I'd go.

2. Archetypes are put forward and filled. So, while the typical story is preset and determined, the "players" in it are not NPCs. They open up the archetypes and then let people fill them with their own characters and see what happens.

So for example, let's say we had a story about an evil S-ranked ninja who was raising up dead ninja. The people to stop the S-ranked guy is a team of 5:

1. Low level Genin way over his head
2. Angry Chuunin, looking for revenge
3. Calm masterful ninja who will die in the arc
4. Non-ninja warrior, probably a police officer or local authority, who doesn't have the same chakra power but can be a badass normal.
5. Traitorous guy who works for S-ranked ninja but joins good in the end.

Instead of presetting those players or creating NPCs, those slots are just open. Then if you have something that fits, you do it, and you do the arc and you see what happens.

The problem is that you need someone to write all that out - the site-plot. I don't have time or interest in doing it, and I don't think anyone else could. It'd require a lot of generic plans and generalities that will not personally benefit anyone.

Typically when someone does this, they justify becoming half-demon or founding of a Icecreamgakure or something weird and it sorta ruins it for everyone.

The one time I felt like this sort of thing happened were the old ANBU things Barret did like 5 or 6 years ago.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now.

Then brings things back in waves, much like how the bijuu hunts were done? Or simply allow things but watch over the use of them. The site isn't exactly . . . jumping with noobs like it was back in 07.
ImageImageImage
Saga
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Anbu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Along with the bijuu hunts we had the world chuunin exams
And the akatsuki plot that sort of happened in some villages. Just a few examples, I know Im not well known or the most active but I've been around since the old site just changed my name alot
Anbu

PostPosted by Anbu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 pm

We also had the taki oto war and suna oto war and alot of villages interacting
Anbu

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Please, do enlighten me as to why you are posting in dead threads.

Ryuuchi
I like your pretty, easily broken, face. >:D

PostPosted by Anbu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Got bored saw this and reliezed it was dead after posted. Once
Again failed you ryuuchi-san
Anbu

Previous

Return to Questions and Ideas