Twin Tears (Mephy)

The open land between civilization. Deserts, forests, volcanoes, canyons, rivers, rails. Have a good journey.

Twin Tears (Mephy)

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:18 am

Almost.

The final pieces were in place, she just had to wait for the day of their meeting.

And then, at least, she'd have one of her partners back....

Dulled sapphire eyes gazed out into the quiet of the wilderness, studying the rocky slopes and thick overgrowth as silent tears rolled down her cheeks, long sapphire tail swishing slowly behind her, hands and feet clawed and scaled and patches of sapphire scales visible here and there on her body. A simple, skin-tight shirt and shorts in her natural coloration were her only clothes; it was tempting to shift further, covering herself in her scales, but... she just never bothered. Not yet. Her hair softly waved in the breeze as it carried the scents of smoke and cooking food and a friend to her, and she moved silently in that direction, her expression strangely emotionless; she had eaten already, but company... company would be appreciated.

And so it was when she crept up behind him and he was sitting alone by a campfire, she simply kneeled behind him and leaned her forehead against his back and closed her eyes, a silent, tired greeting. He'd known she was coming, she could tell from his scent... Ulquiorra-san was really quite the hard one to sneak up on.
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

Re: Twin Tears (Mephy)

PostPosted by Mephilis » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Sitting still and quietly before a small fire, with three decent sized fish skewered and held in place by long sticks above the fire. The scent of the fish and smoke, and the sight of light from the fire was sure to bring some visitors; the man knew this, but he wasn't concerned. His white apparel lit with a slight tinge of orange, compliments of the fire before him. The smoke drifted away towards the west mostly, opposite the direction he sat.

He watched as the light stacks of smoke billowed into the air; green eyes stood at half mast. Though his eyes appeared fatigued, his mind and senses were on full alert. When the young dragoness' head met his back, Ulquiorra, inhaled softly. "Omoi..." He exhaled without moving at all. "What are you doing out here?"

"Do not ask any questions. Don't tell me anything. You have no rights. The only thing you do have is the rope holding the blade of the guillotine, safely suspended above the necks of your friends. Make no mistake, woman. This is not a negotiation, it's an order."

Signature Page

Mephilis
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Her tail swished slowly, back and forth, back and forth, timed to her companion's heartbeats.

"Wandering and waiting."

Her voice was strangely dull and flat, but... it had been that way ever since she'd had her latest near-death encounter.

She'd noticed something over the past few days; physical contact with her old friends was calming, gave her a chance to relax a little.... It helped that she knew she was unlikely to kill the man before her if she lost it, or he to kill her unless he fell into his insanity. Their natural abilities were too closely matched.

Claws lightly kneaded the ground for a moment before she shifted, moving as she grew, giving her friend a glimpse of her tears and her tired face before it was scaled and elongated, her body growing larger as her wings sprouted and she padded around the fire, giving him her torso to rest his back against while her head rose near the other side of the flame, a slow exhale rending the smoke to tatters. If she had been standing, her shoulder would've been seven feet tall and she was about twenty-two feet long from nose to tailtip, her sapphire scales glittering orange in the firelight. Even now her eyes seemed dull and lifeless, but her tears were gone, no longer able to flow in her true form.

Her gaze lingered on the smoke, watching its shapes form and dissipate in time with her breathing.

"How's life been treating you?"
Raika

PostPosted by Mephilis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 am

As the dragoness transformed around him, hiding her tears, Ulquiorra remained firmly in place. He didn't lean back onto her, or move, he just sat there. Calm and still. The fire, which had already cooked the fish well enough to eat, was all but completely stomped out by the great dragon's exhale. He looked upon her with an empty stare - there was never much of anything in those eyes. "How does it ever treat is?" He remarked rhetorically. "There have been rumors circulating of the events in Kumo, and of your death. Yet you sit before me on this night. No doubt the great Raika tended to your wounds..." He leaned forward, pulling one of the three fish from its stake above what was left of the fire, holding it in place before him. "What's happening there?"

Ulquiorra had a knack for being in-the-know about a great many things, always watching and listening to those around him. And his ability to travel from place to place unseen and unheard made it all the more easy.
Drawing the fish to his mouth, he began to eat, waiting for the story a story he knew might not come.

"Do not ask any questions. Don't tell me anything. You have no rights. The only thing you do have is the rope holding the blade of the guillotine, safely suspended above the necks of your friends. Make no mistake, woman. This is not a negotiation, it's an order."

Signature Page

Mephilis
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm

His words actually brought a dark laugh to the dragoness, and for a moment there was deep chaos in her eyes.

"How do you kill a god?"

Fangs gleamed before she kneaded the earth and the change vanished, her eyes and body once again emotionless and calm.

"Raika could never have healed those wounds."

She rose again, restlessly circling once, twice, before she laid back down in her earlier position, though now her head lay on soft grass, dull sapphire eyes staring at nothing.

"Kiyoshi Arata. That was the man who saved me, and by chance."

Suddenly those dull eyes had snapped to Ulquiorra-san, and she rose again, moving to stand before him, a single claw reaching out to lightly tap against his chest, a rib or so below the bottom of his ribcage.

"From there down, my flesh was turned to pulp by my beloved. Otoha went insane, pushed by some dark god of fate. The village was attacked, by him and others. I don't know what happened after, I left with Kiyoshi-san after Otoha vanished from the battle. Looking back...." her voice softened, "I should have seen it coming. There were moments of strangeness that I passed off as stress. A relatively happy life among humans... it dulled my instincts. I saw with my heart, and it clouded my mind from seeing the signs, even in my dreams...."

Her love being swallowed by darkness, the light vanishing, a nightmare she had had for so long now....

Claws sunk into the dirt again, and she circled again, round and round and round until at last the top of her head was gently resting against Ulquiorra-san's back once again, slowly forcing the inner turmoil and emotions back down behind the mask she had made to keep others safe, and to keep herself moving....

"...he expected me to live, for Raika to save me. And when I saw him again... his face held nothing, not a care. If I can regain myself, research, develop more techniques, maybe I can free him, but...."

She was struggling against despair, her fighting spirit was crippled....

But... she had hardly spoken of this to Kiyoshi-san, and certainly no one else. Ulquiorra-san's calm and quiet was a strange balm in this moment of waiting, waiting for the day Kaitou-kun had agreed to meet her again. Or... perhaps it had just loosened the mask a little, letting the turmoil show its face for but a moment.
Raika

PostPosted by Mephilis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Ulquiorra sat quietly, listening to all his old friend had to say. Eating all the while. Their relationship was always an interesting one, he thought. They'd met years ago when they were both still Genin, just young ninja. The world was always such a cruel, but what it held it store for them, they could never have expected. Now, years later, Omoi lays before him shielding her sorrow to no avail. To live and love, and to lose. That is the cycle of life. And she'd lost.
He too, had lost. His best friend, his clan, his sanity. His best friend had been killed when they were still young - and he has yet to stop weeping. His clan was abandoned by their leader, and forced from their home through war. He'd been overcome by the demon within him, ever hungry to conquer his will and form. These things they never could have foreseen.

Kiyoshi. He rolled the name through his mind, effortlessly matching a face and discovered abilities to the name. He'd met the man once, in battle, in war, while fighting with ICARUS. Apparently he's an excellent medic, too. "You'll stave your mind ill, always rushing kindly to the aid of others..." Ulquiorra took to a second fish, holding it before him. "Hungry?" He asked almost rhetorically, assuming she would decline. If she'd accept, he'd feed it to her; if she declined, he'd eat it himself. "Your kindness is your greatest strength, and alike your weakness. Otoha took advantage of that. And now he meanders as he pleases, crushes those that would oppose his will..."

A few moments were allowed to pass as Ulquiorra sat still in thought. "To what end?" The fire, what was left of it, slowly began to breath life again. Huffing the fumes of oxygen in the air and releasing its carbon waste in the form of grey smoke. It cracked as the wood chips and moss singed, and were twisted black by the flames. They crumbled. "And what will you do, now that everything has been taken from you?"

Signature Page

Mephilis
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 pm

She shook her head at the offered fish, resting her raised paw back on the ground, sitting quietly beside Ulquiorra-san, dulled sapphire eyes studying him as she thought.

"...I'll take something back."

Her tail swished slowly behind her, sapphire scales gleaming orange in the flames.

"I told you I was waiting.... Kaitou-kun has agreed to meet me in a matter of days. And then I will finally save him."

Her eyes half-closed, tired.

"After that... I'll pick up the pieces, rest, recover, research, and plan. I won't be able to do everything on my own... and I need Kaitou-kun's help. He was my first partner, and even after everything that's happened, we share a bond as if we were hatchmates."

A silent moment of thought, and then she raised a paw again, palm up, a Ryuujinscale cloth tag appearing in her palm, white with a blue border and black writing, simply reading Ulquiorra. Her paw extended towards her friend, offering the tag to him.

"Here. If you apply chakra to it, it will open a way to your room in my castle. If you leave via the tag, you'll return to where you entered with it. But if you bring someone else with you, they won't be able to leave the room, though you will. It's a safe and quiet place if you ever need one, after all."
Raika

PostPosted by Mephilis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Ulquiorra's stance remained unchanging, his mind, however, racing with thoughts and ideas. Eta-Naru Kaitou A man of great reverence and power, lost to insanity by way of this power. Reaching out, Ulquiorra held the Ryuujin scale in his hand and examined its structure - something so seemingly meaningless, and yet with such possibility. "If you should happen to save Kaitou, I want to speak to him." His thoughts began to take shape, however obscurely. "Have you ever been to the new Republic of Suna, young dragoness?"

The fire cracked and cackled with breaking stick, a serpent cloud of smoke rising high into the air before vanishing in the dark skies above. One fish remained. Ulquiorra left it there. "Whatever you're planning with regards to Otoha, know this:" He paused for a moment. The air was silent, and even the cicada in the area hushed their tone. "You have my sword."

~**~

His thoughts were brief, and in the moment, but in these seconds of time, Ulquiorra reminisced on the past of not just himself, but that of which he knew of Omoi. The two had meet years ago, and shared several interactions, strengthening their more friendly bond as almost dictated by fate. The two had been brought together by the will of the God's, it seemed, bound by their ties to a particular Eta-Naru. These ties, at first, began as a simple courteous acceptance: a response to help a young girl - or dragon - in need. As if any could have imagined how much more deeply these bonds would delve.

Ulquiorra wondered how his life might have differed had he not, perchance, had that meeting with the young dragon so many years ago. His ascension of power and influence, notoriety, leadership of his clan, position within the ICARUS mercenary force; what would change, and what would be the same. This all in perspective to his goal of cleansing the world of wickedness.

A constant reminder by paradox. Evil will still remain.

Signature Page

Mephilis
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Sapphire eyes closed for a long moment, listening to the crackle of the flames and her companion's heartbeat and breathing....

A slow exhale, her body shifting to curl up on the ground, her head coming to a rest in the grass by his legs, sapphire eyes opening to gaze into the flames.

"Ulquiorra-san... thank you."

Her voice was quiet, calm, filled with hints of quiet emotion. And then she had concealed her heart again as she continued, her eyes dull and her voice emotionless and blank.

"I have never been to Suna itself, though I once would have enjoyed a chance to. The desert wyrms seem rather interesting creatures.... Why do you ask?"

In her chuunin years, she had made it a point to gather various DNA samples for her studies, those outside of Raikou no Kuni usually being while she was on missions. The deserts of Kaze no Kuni had been one of the places she had yet to hunt in, though she had read about them a good deal in her younger days studying in Kumo's old library.... Pity the place was likely lost with the rest of the village.
Raika

PostPosted by Mephilis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:50 am

The fire began to die down and the smoke transformed into nothing but a thin snake-like stream, slithering into the sky. Ulquiorra watched the smoke with grass-green eyes, light up in the darkness surrounding the pair.
He didn't respond to the thank you he was given, just a simple nod. "There is a boy in Suna whom I've been watching for sometime. Skilled in Fuuinjutsu... The advancement of those skills would be beneficial to us in the future. Though he cannot help you cure Kaitou of his madness, he could do well to learn from you. And he could likely supply you with some sample and information on those desert wyrms." Ulquiorra paused, collecting his thoughts. "Could you test him? And allow him to learn from you for a short time? His skills would prove useful in your plot against Otoha."

A gentle breeze crept by, caressing the scales of the dragoness, mostly blocking the wind from catching Ulquiorra.

Signature Page

Mephilis
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Sapphire eyes shifted to her companion, silence reigning for a moment.

"...I will teach no one until I am stable enough to know I will not unintentionally harm them. However...."

Her eyes grew half-lidded, silently pondering.

"...what do you see in him that makes you wish for his nurturing? And what is his name?"

Penni-san.... Nihon-san.... Kairo-kun.... Members of a short-lived team under her command in her chuunin years, not even getting past the first meeting before her students went their separate ways.

Ando-san.... The one time he had been sent to her by Raika as an assistant, she ended up giving him a dog's tail after he had been useless in trying to help her and gone through a break-down.

"I am neither the best nor gentlest of teachers, you know."
Raika

PostPosted by Mephilis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:23 pm

"Harm him..."

He repeated this silently, almost mockingly; as if he knew something she didn't. He did. "His name is Kumoro Takashi. He has a very particular set of skills, and a powerful mind. He has great potential, he just needs... a push. A goal."

Ulquiorra, by now, had been a wanderer by choice for several years, and used this status to visit many different countries. In his travels he met hundreds, thousands of other shinobi and civilians alike; many similar and many quite different - and with a skill set and mind like he had, it was easy to spot potential. To spot talent.
Takashi - that's what he went by - caught Ulquiorra's emerald eyes.

"He has the potential to make sure people like Otoha stay in check. To save others. A village. He paused.

"To destroy them."

Almost like a grand scheme all coming together, his thoughts began to spill out. "You don't have to teach him for long. Just challenge him. That's all he'll need. And keep this from him."

Ulquiorra's pale face met the dragoness' snout, emerald eyes peering into sapphire. "When will you meet Kaitou?"

Signature Page

Mephilis
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 pm

As her friend spoke of the one he wanted to make her student, her thoughts were loosely comparing the hidden passion he had in such cases to the unreadable, emotionless man the world knew.

He had high hopes for Takashi-san.

"When will you meet Kaitou?"

Dull sapphire met calm green, his gaze oddly soothing despite the flow of the conversation.

"Two days from now, though I'd estimate at least a week of recovery time and adjustment. I can use that tag to send you a signal when he's ready to talk to you, if you'd like, and you can just let yourself in."

Her eyes half-closed.

"I'm not entirely sure what the results will be, to be honest, but he'll have his sanity back, that much I'm certain of, and he'll still be Kaitou-kun. What do you need him for, anyway?"
Raika

PostPosted by Mephilis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 am

Ulquiorra's eyes closed in thought, meagerly passing over thoughts of both Takashi and Kaitou. His business with Takashi was his own, and the boy possessed a necessary skill that could prove useful if developed properly. Kaitou, on the other hand, had been a linking piece of his relationship with Omoi as well as tens of others - the devastating mercenary force ICARUS found leadership under this man, and despite his own capacity to lead, Ulquiorra found himself to be a top ranking officer in this force. It had been sometime since anyone heard anything from the Eta-Naru, and ICARUS was breaking down. What would he do?

"Business." Ulquiorra let out in response two what he wanted to speak to Kaitou about. "I have some questions for him."

Signature Page

Mephilis
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Sapphire eyes studied emerald green for a moment before she snorted softly and closed her eyes completely.

"Alright. I'm sure you'll give me more details when you feel like I need to know them."

Ulquiorra-san always seemed to work in his own ways, at his own pace, but... she trusted him.

"So what does Takashi-san look like? Or, if you have any of his belongings, his scent would help as well."

The last time she'd had students... the team had ended up breaking apart, each person moving on their own path. It would be a wonder if she could even successfully teach Takashi-san, especially in fuuinjutsu, since she often followed intuition and built upon what she had learned from books....
Raika

Next

Return to Rails, Roadways, and Waterways