Those Who Live (Seb)

[ \Garyuu no Yamajiro | Chiroptera Forest | Dai Boeki no Michi | Eastern Plateaus | Ruins of Kumogakure no Sato/ ]
The country of Raikou no Kuni, home to countless towns amongst the northern mountains, southern forests, eastern plateaus, western plains, and craggy coastlines, the untamed wild outclassing all. Nomads roam these wilds and Dai Boeki no Michi, the Great Trade Road, while the ruins of Kumogakure no Sato have become a dangerous place where evil gathers, and Garyuu no Yamajiro is rumored to have a group seeking to gain the trust of the reclusive Ryuujin....

Re: Those Who Live (Seb)

PostPosted by Reál Midas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 am

Sebokik continued walking and listening. The Samurai war being a long time ago struck a strange bell, though he wasn't sure why. She made it seem as if it were eons ago, when in fact it should have only been a couple of years past. Sebokik dismissed it for now and continued walking beside Raika.

"Samurai and Shinobi are dangerous. Both sides openly call for the death and/or the exile of the other and claim superiority when both fail to realize the one truth." Sebokik let out a heavy sigh. "I trust neither sides. Not anymore."

"In the end, only you can live your life by any standards that promote life." Sebokik paused for a moment, though he continued walking. "And, only you can defend those."

"I doubt the samurai would have given you as much consideration as you give them. They might have. You are a charming person when you aren't dragging the weight of the world behind you."
Who is John Galt?
Profile(s)
Reál Midas
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38 am

Raika chuckled lightly at that.

"The world makes it harder and harder to reach the sky. Though... for a little while it seemed so easy. I guess Ryuuchi can have that effect on people he's close to. When he's sane, anyway...."

She grimaced with her last words, sadness in her gaze. Then she shook her head and sighed.

"Nothing I can do about that right now...."

Her thoughts flicked back to those golden eyes, and she wondered....

A slight frown formed on her lips, and she paused, catching his wrist in a gentle grip.

"Seb... do you remember what happened between us after his funeral?"

If his memory's intact... there's no way he could misunderstand what I'm talking about.

But what do I do if it isn't...?
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

PostPosted by Reál Midas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 am

Sebokik looked back at her. He didn't say anything about her first comment. It seemed more of a personal anecdote and had nothing to contribute on it. The second comment caught him off guard.

"There's always something that can be done about anything."

Sebokik was caught off guard by Raika's sad tone. She had always been a happy person, though often stressed by the guilt and responsibility she felt she had for others. He had never known her to be so painfully depressed and downtrodden. Her next comment however, along with her body language, through him off completely.

"Yes. I know what you said to me after the funeral."

Sebokik didn't even look back at her. He didn't like recounting this story. It was a painful memory.

"We had just finished the funeral which had been held for the burial and cremation of all the bodies of the shinobi. I had been qualified for a promotion to Jounin though deeds in the war and through deeds through various organizations. I broached the subject with Supaiku and he told me I would not get the chance. I stormed out and you saw me outside the funeral and ask what was wrong. Do you remember what I told you?"

Sebokik hardly gave her a second to respond.

"I told you, that world was wrong. And then I left."
Who is John Galt?
Profile(s)
Reál Midas
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 am

Silent tears slid down her cheeks as crackles of electricity sparked harmlessly about her body.

"...this isn't fair."

Raika sank down to her knees, her hand still gripping his wrist as her head hung low.

"...you're one of the few people I could rely on... and right now, you hardly understand anything I'm saying."

Her grip tightened for a moment before she caught herself and released him, instead slamming her fist into the ground, forming a small crater as she trembled.

"So many things happened, to you, to me, to everyone.... Why the [badword] does this keep happening?! Is it my fault for not checking up on you? You said you'd come back for visits every now and then, so I just waited! I thought you'd be alright! And now--AGH! You idiot! Why did you forget...? [badword] suppressed memories?! The hell could have happened to you for that to happen!"

Fierce, tear-blurred brown eyes flashed up at blue as she sobbed and trembled, a storm of negative emotions coming to the surface.

"THAT'S NOT THE FUNERAL I MEANT! THAT WASN'T WHY YOU LEFT! HOW COULD YOU FORGET SOMETHING SO IMPORTANT?!"
Raika

PostPosted by Reál Midas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 am

Raika's grip on him tightened and then released before he realized what was happening.

Surprise gripped him a moment later, on par with suspicion and doubt. Sebokik was already a good distance between Raika as she beat the ground and yelled at him. He couldn't make out what she was saying. It wasn't that he couldn't hear or understand her words, but that they made no sense. There was no context. They both seemed to be speaking the same languages with different meanings. He couldn't comprehend her words.

Still standing far distance off, Sebokik's arms hung loosely by his side. He was ready for just about anything but the anger and fits of injustice that he saw in Raika's face and words. He spoke at a whisper that he somehow knew she could hear.

"I don't understand. What are you talking about if not the funeral where I was damned for my success? I slaughtered so many men and women for them and became a shadow for them. Yet you talk of a different funeral, a different set of memories. What do you speak of?"
Who is John Galt?
Profile(s)
Reál Midas
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 am

He'd forgotten.

He'd forgotten everything.

Slowly, she stood, silver bangs shielding her eyes from view.

"It's... been over ten years since the samurai war, Seb."

Tears continued to flow.

"I... am Raika Hofushi. S-ranking shinobi, now former Head of Kumogakure no Sato's Medical Department. You... are Sebokik Nara, jounin, ex-Commander of the Bureau of Lethal Tactics, also known as BOLT. You're saying you're here right now because you couldn't get a promotion? That's bullshit. You left... for a far less conceited reason. But before we even get into that.... What funeral? Let me tell you a story of a heroic idiot and the aftermath of his recklessness. Long Fei, our friend... he became the Raikage. We did well under his leadership; after all, he was Fei, a natural leader who worked himself to the bone. BOLT tried to take care of what terrorists tried to bring harm to Kumo and its citizens. But... in the end, an army of terrorists and their followers attacked Kumo, and our home burned for the second time since I had come here. Everyone fought as best they could... there were many losses.... The enemy's leader was facing off with Fei, pulling cheap tricks like using Fei's daughter, Penni, as a hostage. Fei got her away and gave her to me to treat her injuries before getting back into the battle, and I stablized and healed her... but... when I could finally reach the battle, the enemy was defeated... and Fei was turning to stone. He gave his final words to those that found him before he completely turned to stone.... You were standing behind him, out of sight. He left BOLT to you. And I... I wasn't able to save him. A medical shinobi, world-reknowned by that point! And I couldn't do a single [badword] thing. I shut down. I was just an emotionless shell, mechanically going about my duties. Until one day when I had gotten out of the office, away from the village, and you called out a greeting to me. I told you to stay away, that I didn't know what I might do right now. And then... you snapped, shouted at me with just the right words to make me snap as well. We tried to kill each other. No... not just kill... I wanted you to suffer that day. I wasn't myself, and I didn't see you as you... but that's no excuse. And... in the battle...."

Her jaw clenched, fresh tears flowing, self-deprecation heavy in her voice as she continued, "...your sanity did not go unharmed. I think... it was a combination of a second personality and neurosis forming, I'm not the best at determining mental illnesses.... You always tried to hide your mental struggles afterward. If I hadn't pushed you... maybe it wouldn't have happened. But... eventually I snapped out of it, came to my senses, and helped bring you back to yours, though you fought with your shadow before it was all over. And then... we talked some sense into each other, promised each other that we wouldn't let the each other lose ourselves again. You visited me a lot in the Medical Department after that... until the day came that you decided to leave. The old ways that we grew up with had become a dying breed... we were the only ones still left from the old days. Everyone else was either dead or missing. You left BOLT to Otoha and decided to live in the shadows, following your own path. Meanwhile, I... I couldn't leave yet, not with the Medical Department under my control. We hugged and parted ways, and you seemed confident and happy. That was the last time I saw you before today. That's... just a fragment of everything you don't remember, but it's one that's important to both of us."

Raika sank back down to sit on the grass, her head hanging low again, silver hair hiding her face from view. Suddenly... she seemed so fragile, the electricity fading, and now she was just tired and sad.

It always seemed like the world wanted to steal away what pockets of happiness she could find.
Raika

PostPosted by Reál Midas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 pm

There was not much he could with the excess of information that she was giving him. What she said made sense at some points and no sense at other points. He said the only thing he could think to say.

"I see."

He continued to looking at Raika as he slowly walked over to her and crouched down next to her. She seemed strung out and lost. She was not the Raika he remembered.

"I don't know what happened to you since I last remember seeing you, but your different. I don't know what happened to you nor do I care, but your story does make sense in some small aspects. It would explain this." Sebokik shed his nice shirt to reveal the sleeveless, white silk shirt that conformed to his torso to allow for easy movement. On his upper arm, he had two tattoo's. One of them said BOLT and was not as old as the other. Under the BOLT tattoo had the words, 'The Forgotten Fallen, Remember'. "I don't remember getting this. Nor do I remember ever liking the taste of cigarettes, yet often times the lack of cigarettes can be troublesome."

Sebokik gently pulled Raika to her feet.

"I don't know what your talking about, but I'll remember what you said." Sebokik readied his pack and pointed towards the north. "It seems I'm going to have to confirm what you just told me. My next destination is Kumo and a visit to the Daimiyo. If I am the S-ranked shinobi that you say I am, I should be able to make my way there without too much trouble."

Sebokik turned to begin walking towards the north. As his back was turned to Raika, his eyes flashed gold again.

"You shouldn't have told him. You don't want to go down that path. I've been there and it DOES NOT end happily."

Sebokik turned back towards Raika, blue eyes shining in anticipation.

"It seems we have quite the journey ahead of us. Are you prepared to make it?"
Who is John Galt?
Profile(s)
Reál Midas
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 pm

The gold-eyes was starting to piss her off.

Popping in to warn her, only to run off again before she could get a full explanation.

She was starting to understand the comments Omoi had once made about multiple personalities living in a friend's mind, and how it felt when you didn't... get along with one of them.

And what frustrated her even more... were his decisions in order to confirm her words.

A low growl rippled in her throat before a snake's corpse and its severed head fell from a nearby branch, a flick of her wrist freeing her katana's blade of what little blood it had obtained before she sheathed it... her swordsmanship was still imperfect.

"Just... hang on a bit, alright? Let's go ahead and cook our catches," she sighed finally. It wasn't like this could possibly end worse than things she'd experienced in the past, right?

Wordlessly she grasped the headless corpse, kneeling down and setting her pack beside her as she retrieved a hunting knife from one of its straps, swiftly, efficiently skinning the snake and removing the poisonous parts without damaging them, followed by removing the edible meat from the skeleton; the meat she laid out atop the snakeskin for the moment before standing and retrieving various sticks and dead limbs from the ground until she had enough for a fire, using a bit of grass and crumpled leaves for tindling as she set about making a fire the old-fashioned way in a small clearing: sticks and a bit of friction. A soft breath helped feed the fire until it was steadily crackling. A flat rock she'd found along with the sticks was set by the fire, the snake meat laid atop it to cook, with enough room for the rabbit meat left on the stone, and the skin laid nearby to dry. A small hole was dug in order to discard the bones and inedible bits, covered as soon as she was done.

Brown eyes gazed into the flame for a moment before looking to her companion.

"In terms of Kumo... we'll die if we get too close for too long, sick if we just get too close. If we both still had our demons, we might be unaffected... though I doubt you were very close to yours. I told you earlier... Kumo was destroyed. And now, its ruins are covered by some sort of miasma. As for meeting the Daimyo.... I'd considered trying after a while. But getting to him is the most difficult part... and... I ask that you not use any ninjutsu or genjutsu to do so. I've been trying to break the habit of using it all the time myself; as far as this country knows, I'm a retired shinobi living as a wanderer. But that doesn't mean I'll be trusted fully, no matter how good my reputation in the past has been."

Her gaze shifted to the snake meat, carefully rotating and flipping it with a stick to make sure it ended up fully cooked.

"...it doesn't matter if we're prejudiced against. We've endured for so long; the entire country has. But it's our way to break past the line dividing the possible and impossible, to always find a way."

Jade green eyes and a warm smile popped into her mind, and a ghost of a smile formed on her lips as she murmured, "Credo in vestra, huh.... That gets pretty damn hard to follow at times."
Raika

PostPosted by Reál Midas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Sebokik paused and stood there watching Raika as she prepared the snake meat. He was tempted to leave and simply make his way towards the Daimyo's anyways. After a few moments, he finally sighed and set down to prepare the rabbit for cooking.

Taking out a kunai, he skinned the rabbit and spitted the meat on a large stick, then laid it on the rock to cook. He gazed into the fire for a long time, considering her words and the political situation they alluded to. It took him a few moments, but finally he spoke what he was thinking.

"It seems Kumo is out of the picture then. Normally, from you've told me, I'd do the same as what your describing. Political correctness and taking the high ground." Sebokik's words stopped for a moment to take the stick with the rabbit meat on it. He turned it over and then let it roast. "To tell you the truth, I don't care what they think of me anymore. I feel no love for Kumo or for any other people at the moment. Shinobi and samurai have both protected the people of Kumo and supported them. At some point in time, the other side turned up and no matter what, the side that was in power was thrown to the dogs. Each time, the losing side was left to rot, damned by Kumo like some rabid beast."

Sebokik continued his blank stare, not quite lost in thought but not fully conscious of every word that came out of his mouth.

"There is no love lost between the Daimyo and myself. I would see that debt settled one way or another." Sebokik glanced over at Raika. "I'm not asking you to join me. Just informing you of my intentions."
Who is John Galt?
Profile(s)
Reál Midas
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 pm

"...the Daimyo that caused the samurai war is long dead, Seb. Learn the times before you start trying to change them. The current Daimyo is a good man, prejudiced or not. If he comes to harm right now... the country will be put into the hands of his eldest son, a young man in his early twenties. I doubt he'd be ready for it all.... The country itself could be thrown into chaos once again as a result. As a result of it all... those who remain shinobi are now in the shadows, hidden from the world, a small community. I think... they'll be able to regain our old spirit now, so close to vanishing completely before our 'great empire' was destroyed. Never understood why we needed an empire, anyway."

She snorted softly, frowning for a moment....

"...Seb."

Quiet brown eyes studied her companion in silence for a long moment.

"The world has changed since the samurai war. New generations have grown and become powerful. Chasing after old wounds... don't you think that's foolish now? Helping the cycle of vengeance along, just to cause war after war and death after death? You said you were bitter about having killed so many people only to be denied your 'reward'. What use is there in killing more and obtaining nothing but emptiness?"
Raika

PostPosted by Reál Midas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Sebokik stopped, halted by her words. They had the ring of truth, in light of her new information about the Daimyo. He turned and looked at her.

"I can't explain it. It's not just revenge on the Daimyo or the people of Kumo that stood by. There's something else. Something deeper. I can't explain it right now." Sebokik stood there, not able to think of a course of action. "I can't remember why it was I was so furious with the world. There was a reason. It seems to have passed in the last month or so, but it was there."

Sebokik simply stopped there, arms by his side. He became lost in thought, unmoving and unresponsive and he delved through his memories, trying desperately to find the answer. Out of the blue, his eyes flashed gold and he dropped to the ground, unconscious. He snored lightly, totally and utterly asleep where he lay on the soft grass.

It might have been unexpected and unwelcome, but Nazo had just intervened.
Who is John Galt?
Profile(s)
Reál Midas
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Brown eyes studied her old friend as he slumbered in the grass for a long moment before she sighed.

"Oi, golden-eyes. You might as well give me an explanation, because otherwise I'm in the dark about what you're trying to prevent. If I can, I'll help somehow. But... these repressed memories are just forcing him to endlessly run away, don't you think?"

She didn't even know if the personality was listening, but... if he was so determined to stop Seb from remembering, there wasn't really any other time aside from when Seb wasn't conscious to ask.

She turned the snake meat and rabbit again, making sure it would all fully cook as she pondered what her old friend had managed to get himself into this time.
Raika

PostPosted by Reál Midas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 am

Sebokik sat up slowly, still snoring. Slowly his eyes opened up to provide a view of a golden glare directed at Raika.

"I know you think I'm harming him, but I'm not. You know we made our peace long ago." Nazo slowly went about the business of steadying himself before continuing. "Sebokik spent three months out of Kumo, wandering where ever he felt like. He came across people many times and did many types of work to earn a meal. It was at the end of the three months, that an incident happened that I'd best not discuss, that made him come to a realization. Even speaking it could potentially trigger the rebirth of his memories."

Nazo slowly slide over to sit in front of Raika, making sure she knew he meant no harm. Once he was facing her directly, sitting cross legged, he elaborated.

"He reached near perfect integrity. He became a man possessed of what he would only describe to me in ambiguous terms whenever we discussed it. He had a plan that he said the world would not accept, but that he needed to see carried out. I caught a glimpse of it and I knew that I had to stop it. So I waited till he slept and then trapped his memories as dreams deep in his subconsciousness."

He sighed and adjusted his position slightly.

"He must not be reminded of the times that happened after he returned to Kumo. Only the smallest details that would be of no importance are safe." Nazo looked Raika straight in the eye and made sure she held his gaze. "If not, he will turn your world on it's head and you might not like that."
Who is John Galt?
Profile(s)
Reál Midas
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Raika » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 am

Brown eyes studied gold for a long moment in silence.

Then, she reached into her kimono, pulling out a black tag with her name in silver writing on the front, channeling a small bit of chakra into it.

Can you temporarily change the target to your battlefield? It can still host life through the edible plants and roots of the forest, right?

Yes....

...make sure that I'm the only one with permission to open the gate aside from yourself.

A silent assent on the other end, and Raika held the tag out to the side, channelling chakra into it before a black, door-sized hole formed like a tear in the world. Tucking the tag away, Raika gathered up their meal, kicked dirt over the fire, picked up her pack, and promptly took hold of her companion's hand, wordlessly walking with him through the portal.

Raika squinted slightly in the bright sunlight, looking up at clear skies of a deep, infinite blue as they stood in a grassy field, the portal vanished behind them. Passing the rabbit to her companion, Raika bit into the snake meat, chewing and swallowing before she spoke.

"...Nazo, wasn't it? As long as he's here he won't be able to wreck anything but the scenery and myself.... I want to talk to him. With his memories fully intact."

She turned to face him quietly, meeting his gaze and giving a reassuring smile.

"Alright?"
Raika

PostPosted by Reál Midas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 am

Nazo jolted back when they stepped through the portal and took a step back and immediately became a shadow, standing there in darkness. He took in his surroundings, gauging the overall situation. He stopped after three minutes and finally just stood there, not moving.

"You don't understand. He is not ready to tell you yet. But, I'll see what I can do to clarify." Nazo closed his eyes and stood there, breathing in and out for a steadily for a few moments before opening them again, to look at Raika. He looked around and shrugged.

"It seems you've found a better place than me to stay for the rest of the day." Sebokik considered sitting down, but decided to remain standing. "So you want to know more about me? Well, I like long walks through the forest, the intensity of training, and a good drink."

Sebokik gave her a small grin as his hand subconsciously went to his pocket, reaching for cigarettes that weren't there. He caught himself and shook his head in exasperation.

"I'll tell you what I can. I remember meeting some people and doing a favor for them. I don't remember why, but we had an argument and I left angry. Later that day, those same people found me and demanded payment for something. I refused and they attacked me. I killed them. That was it. After that, I remember leaving in anger. After that I don't remember."
Sebokik sighed and then continued on his explanation.
"All I can recall of those people were that they were farm folk, living on a rich plot of land that was run down and poorly tended and I assisted them for a weekend, tending the farm. What happened after that is foggy and I can't remember anything after killing them."
Who is John Galt?
Profile(s)
Reál Midas
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to The Lands and Cities