Tick Tock Goes the Clock (Oddy)

The open land between civilization. Deserts, forests, volcanoes, canyons, rivers, rails. Have a good journey.

Re: Tick Tock Goes the Clock (Oddy)

PostPosted by Oddric » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:09 pm

"Ah... not so easy without your nose, is it?" He poked her "normal" nose, laughing as he did so. Dokutoru had never been envious of Omoi's natural abilities before. This was the first twinge of it he felt... being able to determine pancake ingredients by smell alone. What a gift!

Leaning again the counter, Dokutoru watched as Omoi slapped the different foods together. "So, half a stick?" Raising an eyebrow, he looked to Omoi and then to the mixing bowl. "You sure? I'll have you know butter is very popular with pancakes." He lathered his pancakes with way more butter than he was probably supposed to. As far as Omoi was concerned, Dokutoru's last regeneration might been due clogged arteries.

"Ooh, look at that!" Unconcerned about what Omoi thought of him sticking his finger into the batter... he did just so. "This is viscous... not too runny but just enough." Finger in his mouth, Dokutoru pulled off the tan layer from his digit. "Okay... okay..." Nodding his head, he had to give her credit. It was definitely pancake-esque. "We heat it up next, I know that's the next part!"

Turning to the stove, Dokutoru's hands froze in front of it. He was, of course, determined to get the damned thing to start up. "Don't over complicate things..." He muttered, remembering what Omoi said. Despite how foolish he thought that was.

Slam! Slam!

Dokutoru whacked the side of the stove with one hand and began twisting knobs with the other. The four tops of the electric stove flicked orange and then stopped, lights inside of the stove flickered, and the metal clanking of hand against machine continued. "Is that it?" Hands pulling back, the front right top was glowing orange. In an odd way, he had done it. "Was that it? I did it, didn't I? And no manual! Haha!" Turning to Omoi, it was probably now that she was probably thinking it. All the running around, pulling levers, twisting knobs, operating the TASAM... was it really just Dokutoru over complicating the process? After all, he threw away the manual...

"Oh, the frying pan. I'll--" He stepped to grab it and place on the stove but quickly stopped. "You uh... you can get that."

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:46 pm

"Butter is popular on the finished product. We don't need to overload it at the start."

The mix was looking about right... and then, much like how her friend had determined which door was the kitchen door, he stuck his finger in and tasted it... before running off to the stove and banging on it.

"O-oi!" She had moved to catch his hand without thinking, only to stop mid-movement when he had managed to turn it on.

Dokutoru was... Dokutoru was.... She wasn't sure how to describe how much he probably overcomplicated... well... everything. Or at least how to operate machinery.

Come to think of it, she hadn't banged on the TASAM at all when she had operated it.

Picking up the frying pan and waving it at Dokutoru, her free hand going to her hip, she frowned as she began to lecture, "Do you bang on every piece of machinery you try to operate? Hitting it is rarely going to solve anything! The knobs and buttons exist for a reason! More often than not you might end up breaking something if you just beat on it without reason. Got it?"

He was around seventy years older than her, and she was giving him a lecture.... Just that thought was enough to change her expression to one of amusement, gently setting the menacing frying pan atop the stove and adjusting the temperature without any banging at all, dropping a small bit of butter into the pan as it heated and deftly moving it so that a thin coating of melted butter covered the inside, pouring in a bit of the batter once she was done and picking up the spatula to wait for it to cook enough for her to flip it.

"Can you grab a couple of plates? And syrup, isn't that another thing that goes on pancakes? After it's done cooking, anyway."

If she hadn't added that last bit, she had a feeling he might have tried to put it on while it was still in the frying pan....
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

PostPosted by Oddric » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:44 pm

"Oi, don't wave that thing at me!" He could practically she the thing slipping out of her hand. "You just don't get machines. Though they're hardly machines, life or not, they have a wonderful purpose!" A surprise philosophical statement from the man. "Well hey, the next time we're in a jam and we come across some foreign piece of equipment, I bet you'll come crying to me about what to do!" Pointing a finger as Omoi began work on the pancakes. They bickered like siblings. They certainly looked the part.

The man leaned against the counter as he watched her gently operate the stove. "My first instinct is to mess with everything, you know." He smiled, realizing how simple the stove actually was. "Especially given where we actually are." The TASAM. "My people love complicated, it seems. You'd be surprised how much hidden... stuff they have in their technology. A single tap or the wrong rotation of a knob could spell disaster or success." It was what he was accustomed to all his life. "What I do may seem chaotic, but I try every possibility before operating anything new. You never know what you'll find. Though perhaps I could tone it down..." Scratching the side of his face, he realized how easily he could have actually broken the thing. And then what?

Putting down the plates with one hand, the other had a bottle of syrup. There were no logos, nothing commercialized, it was all just very... plain. And a bit odd too. The bottle had a purple color to it, yet still clear. All of the food was packaged by Kouinjoutei. For the most part, anyway.

"After it's cooked... finished product..." Dokutoru shook his head. "I'd pour all the toppings in first, if I were you!" He laughed, placing down the bottle. "Though maybe that's why I never went into the cooking business."

"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Hidden stuff, huh....

Well, it was an effective way to keep someone unwanted from using their technology, but could also make it very easy for someone unwanted to break their technology.

Deftly she flipped the pancake to reveal its golden-brown underside and let the remaining side cook.

"Putting all the topping in while you cook is possible, if you know how to do it. But doing that could also result in the people you're cooking for getting something they don't like, because you're forcing a topping choice on them. Everyone has different tastes, so isn't it better to give them the base product and let them embellish it how they want, so you're not taking away their ability to choose?"

Now it was her turn to get philosophical, and soon she was depositing the first pancake onto one of the plates, only to pour more batter into the pan to start making the next.

"So how many should we make...? I'm not really sure how far this much batter goes, maybe enough for four or five or six pancakes depending on the size."
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:22 am

He watched silently as she flipped the pancake. It was probably the quietest he had ever been in her presence. Not just verbally, but mentally. For just a moment, his focus was entirely on the pancake. Any doubt left in Omoi's mind about his love for pancakes had definitely been erased.

"Huh." Arms folded across his chest, he took serious consideration into what Omoi said. It probably shouldn't have been this deep of a conversation between the two of them, but it showed quite well their differences. Pancakes turned into a conversation about free will. "Choosing... yeah I suppose that would be the right thing to do. You live your life as a time traveler, following the rules of time and space, destiny... everything always seems to lead to the same destination. It's hard to see anything but that freedom is an illusion." Ouch.

"Oh yes, of course! As many as the batter will make!" He proclaimed. Dokutoru wasn't about to let any of it go to waste.

Shifting a bit, Dokutoru leaned against the counter again as Omoi continued to the pancake making. "So once the next few hours have passed, and all your regeneration energy has gone, how will you transform yourself back to your old self? That's a genetic trick that my people have yet to accomplish. And, honestly, I'm worried that you won't be able to."

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:34 pm

"Even if it leads to the same destination, the way you get there can change, though, can't it? It matters, like knowing the end of a book but reading it anyway to find out how and why it ended that way. Otherwise, people's lives, always ending in eventual death, wouldn't matter at all or even be interesting, right?"

She smiled, deftly flipping the pancake again to reveal more golden-brown.

And then came his question.

"Well, you know that when I have my proper chakra natures, I'm a shapeshifter, right? All I seem to have right now is Fuuton, though, annoyingly, so I can't make Souton on my own. But anyway. Remember how I keep mentioning the different things my fuuinjutsu system in my castle can do? I set up a fail-safe in case I got stuck in a form where I couldn't use Souton, like in this case, which I can set up to alter my DNA back to a previously saved copy. And I've already proven that I can adjust a Kouinjoutei body, to an extent... though your immune system tried to erase it from time...." She paused, frowning for a moment. "Hm. Forgot about that." After quick shake of her head and a placement of the second pancake onto the empty plate, she continued, pouring batter into the pan for the next pancake, "But it wasn't an immediate thing, luckily. So if the change occurs quickly enough, it should work out, and I'm good at making quick changes. Though I'd prefer to have you around in case something does go wrong and I'm not in a state to adjust the process... you do know a decent amount about your own DNA, right? Maybe? If not, either we'll wing it or you need to do some studying from whatever's in the old girl's database."
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Pancakes were no longer relevant to the man as Omoi spoke of the potential dangers of her transforming back to normal. The batter was put on the back burner, if you will. Hah. Wow. Dokutoru's jokes are bad even in his head.

It sort of... sickened him. And once again, he felt responsible. He wondered if the initial process that turned her into a Kouinjoutei was dangerous as well. If she never met him, if he never exposed to the dangers of time and space and... himself... she would have never have been to put herself into this situation. In one swoop, he had lost his appetite.

"Of course." He responded, hand running down his face after grabbing a handful of his dull blue hair. "Of course I'll stay with you. If anything were to happen to you from changing back into your original form from a form that I gave you..." He shook his head. Omoi could probably fill in what he was going to say. 'Never forgive myself', 'hate myself', 'do everything I could to make sure you were okay'.

Chuckling, Dokutoru looked away from the kitchen and to the lone beds. "Funny. Maybe I didn't want pancakes as much as I thought I did."

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:09 pm

"You're gonna eat 'em whether you want 'em or not. If you don't, the next time you get hit by a frying pan might be from me swinging it."

Teal eyes watched the batter quietly for a moment before she continued.

"I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I'm barely managing to stand. My head's pounding, the adrenaline rush from our latest near-disaster is wearing out, and if I don't eat something soon I won't be in any kind of state to make the calculations later. What you 'gave' me, which really I just secretly took, saved my life and kept me from being trapped and potentially dead in some random place that wasn't my Earth. And for all we know, I could've fallen in that hole whether I met you or not. I'm alive. If we can't get me back to normal, I'll find a way to adapt and keep living."

Flip.

"...you can't always succeed or stop every bad thing from happening, right?" His eyes in her head, first brown, then gold, then black-and-red. "But you can't let yourself be buried underneath all the bad things, or focus on all the bad things. If you do, you'll just miss out on the good ones, or not be able to appreciate them."

She deposited the third pancake atop one of the others, pouring the last bit of batter into the pan before looking over her shoulder at Dokutoru, a gentle smile on her lips.

"Like being able to eat your favorite food with a dear friend after she made it for you." Her gaze turned back to the frying pan. "I wonder when the last time I was able to do something like this was.... Probably sometime in the BOLT Barracks, before... before Otoha left the first time."

Her jaw tensed slightly then before she released a slow breath, relaxing and flipping the pancake.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:37 pm

A smile came on his face again. Looking away as he chuckled, the man listened to Omoi as she spoke to him. Years ago when they first met, he never imagined they'd be having the conversations they were now. The adventures they had now. The more time he spent away from his Hidden Time village, the more he felt at home on Earth and with these new people he loved.

His appetite at come back to him. The frying pan may have played a role.

Eyes bouncing from the plate of pancakes and then to Omoi, he tilted his head slightly as he let his lips curve at the mention of Otoha. He had not forgotten about him, and what he promised Omoi. But it was a rough search.

"I've tried to stop the 'bad things' from happening." His fingers tapped against the colder counter. "I fought against fate, the laws of time, to stop them. You figure at this point I'd realize that I need to just accept some things." He shook his head. The reckless man chuckled. "It's just in my nature to try."

His hand approaching Omoi's, he clearly wanted the spatula in her hand. "I can handle flipping a pancake. You should eat first. The regeneration process can be rough, it's worse for some more than it is for others." He smiled. "I don't want you passing out on me."

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 pm

She laughed lightly as she gave up the spatula and moved away from the stove so he could take her place.

"Just don't be surprised if I go to sleep after we've eaten. At least we're in a room full of beds."

Another laugh, and she spread a bit of butter on her pancakes, pouring some syrup on afterwards before she picked up the plate and a fork and moved to the same bed they had deposited their respective jackets on, sitting in a clear space on the mattress and cutting off a morsel of the fluffy food before placing it in her mouth, chewing quietly as her eyes lit up.

Pancakes really were delicious. Or what they'd made was. She wasn't sure how close she'd managed to get to the real recipe.

As she cut into the pancakes again and lifted another bite into her mouth, teal eyes turned to Dokutoru, thinking it was about time to flip the pancake.... He'd probably be able to handle it... right?
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Taking the spatula, the man was actually surprised that she allowed him to take over the cooking. Not a spark of resistance. She must have been hungry. "Well hey, that's what beds are for, right? Jumping on, and sleeping on!" He omitted the third obvious use of a bed...

Glancing, he briefly watched as Omoi took her meal over to one of the beds. "Don't spill anything!" He warned, giving a smirk as she sat herself down. One had to wonder if any of the immaculate beds had been used before, and if they had, who tidied them up? Could the TASAM make a bed? Could Dokutoru?

A successful flip, Dokutoru his inner calm. He imagined the pancake flying off the pan and onto the floor. Thankfully, such was not the case. "Awfully quiet over there." He said, following with a chuckle. Put anyone on a comfortable bed and they were bound to succumb to it.

Turning off the stove after having watched Omoi operate it, Dokutoru brought his own plate of pancakes onto a bed opposite of her companion. He dug into the sweet breaded treat immediately upon sitting. "How could I have forgotten about pancakes?" He shook his head, a grin on his face and a mouthful of food. "Regenerating must have shaken something loose in my head." With how strange the Kouinjoutei anatomy was, it seemed quite possible.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:27 am

She smiled.

"You were probably too focused on everything else to remember."

Another bite of the fluffy food, chewing and swallowing, teal eyes watching her friend before she chuckled.

"I'm guessing we did pretty well without a recipe, though, given how much you're enjoying it."

And then she returned her focus to the food, intending to quickly finish before her exhaustion took over.

~Ten Hours Later~

Omoi stirred slightly, instinctively snuggling deeper into the blankets and pillow before she began a rather slow transition to wakefulness, teal eyes blearily blinking open as she put together where she was....

A soft yawn as she pushed herself up and out of the comforting warmth, shaking her head to try to quicken her slowed thoughts before rubbing her eyes.

"Dokutoru...?"
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:45 am

Dokutoru laughed. "My focus does tend to get quite scattered." A smile on his face remained, despite the unfortunate circumstances that his regeneration happened under. He needed to learn how to let go of the guilt.

Nodding his head, the older man intended on swallowing his food before responding to Omoi. "Ah... yes. I'd say we did a... oh." His voice went quieter. His friend had succumbed to exhaustion. Regeneration affected everyone in a different way. Biologically siblings or not, no two Kouinjoutei would react the same way. In Omoi's case, she fell asleep.

Taking another bite before setting down his plate, Dokutoru moved over to his companion. Setting down her things, and shifting her slightly, he rested her head on a pillow before kissing her forehead. Dokutoru turned on his heel and walked off, grabbing his own plate in the process.

When she woke, she would not be greeted by Dokutoru, or a hologram, or anything. If Omoi was to check around the massive room, she wouldn't find a trace of him. No bed occupied him, and his plate and utensils had been put away.

It was creepy, if Omoi was to dwell on where she was. A totally silent room inside of a near-infinite ship that was alive. A ship that could shift its rooms to elsewhere on board. A shifting labyrinth.

The door to the room had been left open by presumably Dokutoru. Despite Omoi's now poor sense of hearing, she'd still be able to tell there was... something going on outside. Whether it was in the hallway, in an adjacent room, or in the main console room. Dokutoru had left Omoi to her own devices.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Slowly her gaze swept the room... nothing.

Omoi sighed, hands running through her hair to rid herself of bedhead.

He'd left her alone on the TASAM... at least it was in a room with food and a comfortable place to sleep. Though she did have to wonder if it was anywhere near the bathroom. Or the library, that'd be an interesting place to end up in, even if it didn't have anything about the Kouinjoutei....

Was the main console room still close by?

She frowned slightly.

At least she hadn't had to deal with the usual nightmares. She'd simply been too tired, ending up in a dreamless sleep.

Shaking her head, she stood up and stretched, glancing around to locate her pancakes.... There they were. Pity she hadn't stayed awake long enough to eat more.... And she had been asleep long enough that she didn't really trust the food to still be safe to eat, no matter what crazy abilities the TASAM had for food preservation. Especially since it did still require a fridge.

Soon enough the remains of her food were in the trash and the plate and fork had been cleaned and put away, the counter wiped down, and an apple retrieved from the fridge which she bit into as she approached the doorway of the kitchen-bedroom, pausing in it to look up and down the hallway in an initial attempt to locate her old friend.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Quiet and creepy, Omoi had found that the kitchen had been left quite clean. With no note or trace from Dokutoru, she might have wondered if it was he who had cleaned the mess. Was it actually the TASAM's cleaning system or did the time lord have some sort of butler on board the ship? It was a frightening thought, that Dokutoru could possibly have things living on board his ship. Especially ones that he never spoke of.

As Omoi scanned the hallway, she would find that the room had in fact not moved. There was an open door a few rooms down, a familiar glow from the main room of the TASAM would greet here. If she so choose to wander further and into the room, the exit door of the TASAM was also left open.

A cool air met with Omoi. The open exit of the TASAM exposed her to a room that she had taken Dokutoru to once before. His "room" inside of Omoi's castle. It was late at night, and the cool air from the exposed balchoney was what had touched Omoi previously. Dokutoru, though, no where immediately in sight.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Rails, Roadways, and Waterways