Blood and Instinct (Ryuuchi)

The open land between civilization. Deserts, forests, volcanoes, canyons, rivers, rails. Have a good journey.

Re: Blood and Instinct (Ryuuchi)

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Muryuu hesitated for a bit after hearing about Raika's and began scratching his white hair while trying to think of the best way to say what came to his mind, however his sister spoke up first.

"Raika-san, you do realize you're talking about something we're born with right? We don't exactly need training for something we grew up with."

For those born of the Kirinketsu bloodline, and others with similar abilities, having control over their senses just came natural. They never required any sort of practice just to be around others as they grew up in those kinds of environments already. It was quite understandable that someone without those enhanced senses would feel incredible discomfort after receiving those enhancements as their view of the world would be completely altered from what they were used too.

"She's right. If going into town is what you want then it's all a matter of getting used to it and that is all up to you as I can't really help you control it."

Muryuu was serious and direct in his answer as he made his way to the fallen mask and began putting it back on.

"But considering you want to beat father, you'll be wanting to know how to use your senses effectively or else they will just end up going to be a waste."

He stopped for a moment and then turned to Maya, asking her something about the survival test to which she responded with a nod and a laugh as fond memories rushed into her head, though the memories of his own test were not so fond.

"Tell you what, I won't start looking for him until I'm ready but I'll be around this forest for a while. This place is big with lots of places to hide so I'll find one of those spots and you come find me, simple as that. But I want you to do it with a blind-fold on, use your other senses since sight alone won't get you very fine."

He didn't really face them as he started walking away with the large sword on his shoulder but still rose his arm a bit to wave a sort of goodbye at them.

"Give me a few hours to find a place and then come find me if you want."

And with that he was gone, no formal goodbyes...just the simple wave.

"He has a lovely personality doesn't he? But he's right, hunting's the best way to train yourself...dad used to take me out into the mountains to hunt animals and the likes."

Ryuuchi
I like your pretty, easily broken, face. >:D

PostPosted by Raika » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:01 am

"Mmn.... I think I like him," she responded to Maya's comment, grinning as she closed her left eye to shut down her doujutsu while she waited. "But yeah, I kinda figured hunting was best. Though I used to hunt a lot in the days before I joined Kumo, so I guess everything I already know probably distracted me a bit...."

Wonder how mad he'd get if I tried to actually catch him the moment I found him....

Raika was silent for a moment, then... before she approached Maya and pulled her into a gentle hug, lightly kissing the top of the girl's head.

"I'm sorry for being so harsh earlier. And for not telling you about what happened sooner."

After a moment, she released Maya, offering her a sheepish smile.

Yuuko had said to wait a few hours... so until then, her only options were really to chat with Maya or keep training.
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:30 pm

"It's fine, I understand that it's hard for you as well."

She knew that it must have been very hard for Raika to handle how things turned out, she was the one that fell in love with him and started living together after he returned to his sane self...and she was the one that was with him as he lost himself again and left. Maya lost a father and Raika lost a lover.
Maya dropped down to the ground, crossed her legs and released the chains around her body and the sword on her back, getting rid of unnecessary weight as they would not be moving for a while.

"But I'll say it again...I won't give up. I'll be careful and I won't engage him directly, but other than that I'll be doing everything I can to get him back."

Saying those words reminded her of what Raika had shown them a few moments before, how she changed her hand in a similar way to how she and even Omoi did, the draconic scales replacing skin and turning a limb into a predatory weapon. Raika was also doing all she could to bring him back, however how far would she go to do it? What would she be sacrificing?

"Raika-san...those scales...the enhanced senses...what are you doing to yourself?"
Last edited by Ryuuchi on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:30 pm

A single brown eye stared at her hand, studying it quietly.

"...trying to even things out, I guess. The last time we fought, I ended up taking his eye out since I couldn't get through his scales, only to end up dying because of Drake's plague. But simple things like this... I probably could have done them in the days that I had a demon myself, if I had used her power more. Scales would've been a different color, though."

Her hand flexed, and she smiled reassuringly at Maya.

"Most of it is stuff I've asked Omoi to do. There's only been one thing that I had to find someone else for, but Omoi checked afterwards and I've been fine." She chuckled softly then. "Omoi's a wonder, really. The transformation seal she made, it's more advanced than any I've seen. Only things I can't do are control my scales like you can or do any more fine-tuned changes. And she analyzed the kimono in order to replicate Ryuuchi's scale and claw strength, so hopefully I won't have to go for his eyes again."

She grimaced slightly at the memory.
Raika

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:13 pm

"You're changing your body completely in order to take in power that's foreign to you. Do you have any idea of the sacrifices dad had to make to achieve what he has?"

Maya knew everything about her father's abilities and their origins, he was never one to worry about keeping secrets especially from her, unknown information about his abilities was likely due to him simply not using them in public...and that was in of itself a sign of how powerful he could be at time. Maya was the closest of the family to have abilities similar to his and even she could not create the perfect balance that he had. In a way Ryuuchi was a freak of nature, he was born with two bloodline limits the same as her but while Maya's two bloodlines battle for dominance and resulted in a weakening of both, her father achieved a perfect balance of the two and enhanced them. The hardness of his scales, his physical power, the sheer size of his dragon form, those were not things that came naturally and were beyond what a normal Kirinketsu could achieve. Not to mention his most dangerous weapon, the chakra absorption.

"But...who am I to lecture you?"

She stopped and gave out a sigh. She was heading in the same route as Raika before, but she had no right in telling her what she should or should not do. Maya didn't say a word for a while after that, she simply sat there pondering on something and figuring out the best way to voice her worries to Raika. Then, with her knees to her chest and arms crossed over it and her mouth, she asked.

"Raika-san...what if there's no way of bringing him back to how he was? What if he's happier this way and doesn't want to go back? What...what if he hated the life he had with us?"

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:54 pm

At Maya's comments about how she was completely changing her body, Raika simply smiled.

If it would help save Ryuuchi, she would be fine. She wasn't sacrificing who she was, at least....

And when Maya voiced her worries, the silver-haired woman sat down next to the girl, putting an arm around her.

"There's no way he hated life with us, Maya.... If he did, there wouldn't have been any reason to erase his own memories. He probably did it to protect us, so that he wouldn't have any knowledge to use against us if he ever attacked us... so that he wouldn't come looking for us. If he's happier the way he is now, I'll be selfish and keep trying to make him remember. Because the man I fell in love with held his scars just as close as those he loved. He didn't try to forget anything. Memories are precious things, so precious that you don't even realize how important they are until they're gone or you don't have the chance to make any more with someone. Honestly, if he hadn't forgotten, I might not be quite as pissed off at him as I am now."
Raika

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Maya felt more at ease as Raika continued her speech, even if it they were to be lies she still knew that Raika was saying everything to console her. Yet there was still one problem that was making her worry more than every other.

"But Raika-san, you didn't answer one of my questions..."

She hesitated for a few seconds but in the ends, her lips moved again.

"...what happens if there's no way of bringing him back?"

If Yuuko had heard her question he would have jumped in with the most logical and practical choices they could take, but those were choices she didn't want to think about. The ones she saw in her hand were simple: death, imprisonment, banishment or nothing at all. They could kill him to keep him from hurting others, lock him in chains or banish him for he same effect or...just leave him to do as he pleased, though if his mind was truly lost and he was dangerous once again, it wouldn't be long before he either caused a catastrophic or someone did any of the previous choices instead of them. If they could not fix him...there was no way of winning.

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:52 pm

"...then we stop him however we can. If we're lucky, we win him over somehow, keep him from turning into another Drake. If not...."

Her brown eye closed, remembering the 'unfinished business' Nyoko had been so focused on when trying to ask her where Ryuuchi was, not that she'd known in the first place.

"...we'll have to make sure he dies at the hands of someone who loves him instead of one of the enemies he's made over the years. But that needs to be an absolute last resort.... Coming back from the dead isn't exactly an easy thing to do."
Raika

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:20 pm

"I..."

Maya was about to say something regarding Raika's decision on the matter but in the end she just swallowed her words and covered her face with her arms completely.
Talking is one thing but when the moment arrives, who knows how people will react or what might happen. Her father was strong, far stronger than her so would they even be able to even beat him? And even if they did, would she or Raika really put an end to it if necessary? Would they really be capable to putting the finishing blow on someone so dear to them? She knew that given the chance that Yuuko or her other siblings would do it without missing a beat, she knew that some of the people he knew and once called friends would do it if necessary but none of them loved him like she did so a decision like that wasn't even easy to make in theory much less putting it to practice.

"I'm going to sleep for a bit. Wake me up if decide to head out for Yuuko."

She wasn't courteous nor very respectful in the way she spoke, unlike previously where she always tried to be overly respectful toward Raika, but her mind was too busy to think about such things at the time. Maya turned and laid down on her side with her back facing Raika, using her purple coat as a blanket and her right arm as a pillow...she didn't fall asleep for a while as she thought about everything but remained in the same position as if she had fallen asleep almost immediately.

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:13 pm

It was a pity Maya only ever spoke more casually to her when her mind was otherwise occupied.

Her right eye opened, watching the girl as she lay there in the grass and plants beside her for a moment before looking upwards, to the glimpses of blue visible through the leaves, listening to Maya's breathing and heartbeat.

She wondered when Maya had last eaten in her frantic hunt for her father. And if Yuuko had eaten yet. It was getting around to... what would've been the dinner rush back in Kumo. Before the world went even madder.

Her eye closed, and she let time slip past as she listened to the forest's song, picking up on all the things she had never been able to hear in her younger days and breathing slow and deep....

When her eyes opened again the patches of sky had turned a deep orange, and her gaze turned back to Maya, a light hand gently touching the girl's shoulder, ready to move quickly if she reacted badly to the touch.

"Maya, wake up."

Yuuko had probably found a good spot by now.
Raika

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Raika was one of the few people in the world that she trusted, it had nothing to do with her relationship with her father and Omoi nor was it related to Raika's position in former Kumogakure, instead the trust she held was purely instinctual, she felt safe around Raika even in dire situations and thus she was able to sleep soundly and peacefully for the first time in a long time. Once Raika called out to her, Maya was awakened and for a moment felt unsure of where she was and who was calling out to her to show just how deep the sleep was, but she didn't react aggressively either as she still felt safe.

It took a moment for her to get her baring but once she did Maya quickly got to her feet while rubbing her eyes. The light bothered her a bit even though it was the soft crimson of the sunset but while her eyes were closed she was able to unknowingly focus on another sense, that of smell. Maya's eyes widened immediately once she caught the scent and started to frantically look around the area where the two had stayed while waiting for Yuuko.

"What is this?"

The reason for her confusion was quite simple, Maya had expected Yuuko to have left a trail of scent for them to follow as part of Raika's "training" but instead she was getting far different readings from her surroundings. No trail was also well within her expectations, when she was younger and training with her father he used a similar trick, not leaving a trail until a certain point and changing the clues along the way to keep her mind in check but this was far diferent as instead of no scent or a single trail...Maya could smell Yuuko's scent all around them and not just in the immediate area but from what she could tell when she focused hard enough...his scent was spread out within a large area.

"Raika-san, maybe using a blindfold isn't a good idea...I have no idea what Yuuko's planning."

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Raika » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:11 pm

A light laugh escaped the woman's lips at Maya's reaction, gently ruffling the younger kunoichi's hair.

"No, I'm going to use a blindfold like he wants me to. This should make for a perfect way to train."

During the time they had waited, she had focused her nose on Maya and her ears on their surroundings, so Yuuko's plan came as an interesting surprise; after all, it wouldn't be fair if she had been trying to smell for him the whole time from this spot, as difficult as that would be for a beginner such as herself. But this would help her learn how to tell older scents from newer ones in a more precise manner than she had learned from training in the past. Not to mention any potential traps he had laid would have to be detected and avoided without using sight....

Lightly Raika tapped the side of her head around eye-level, smiling.

"Maya, could you make the blindfold for me? Make sure I can't get it off myself, I'll leave that to you or Yuuko when we're done."
Raika

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:59 am

There was no reasoning with the woman, she seemed to be determined to go through with Yuuko's "training" with one of the biggest handicaps possible. Had it been her, she would likely do the same, however Maya had the advantage of being naturally gifted since when it came to her senses much like her siblings, though to a lesser degree than them but Raika was different. Raika was not one of them or anything like them for most of her life, she was a well trained and highly skilled ninja but her senses were never as enhanced as theirs...she was not born a predator like they were.

Maya stepped behind Raika while releasing a sigh in defeat, her hand reached up while turning almost completely black and lightly pressed two fingers against the back of Raika's head. Black scales began spreading from where Maya was touching Raika's white hair and soon created a black stripe around Raika's head completely covering her eyes but making sure to leave the nose and ears untouched. The black blindfold would feel rough to the touch on the outside but soft on the inside, not only that but each scale was glued to Raika's skin in such a way that if she were to remove a few then she'd have to give up her skin in the process. Only one with the ability to manipulate scales would be capable if removing it without harm to the wearer. Without mentioning a word Maya added a few features to the blindfold, making it much stronger than any steel and resistant to incredible temperatures, these offered minor protection but if she was to be robbed of her sight than it was the least Maya could do.

"I'll be following you from a distance to make sure everything's alright. If you need anything just call out and I'll be there in a flash. Good luck, Raika-san."

Maya stopped for a moment to look back at the silver haired woman but after another sigh she jumped into the trees above and seemingly vanished.

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Raika » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Her eyes were closed behind the blindfold, smiling slightly at Maya's stubborn concern as the girl vanished.

Whatever Yuuko had planned... it would be nothing compared to fighting her beloved. She had managed to keep up with him well enough once before, in a way, until he had infected her chakra. But that had been when she had Raidra fighting alongside her. Genjutsu would be a problem. If he figured out a new chakra plague, it would be a problem.

But this... surviving in the wild, evading traps, this was a basic that she needed to renew and retrain into her new strength before she could face those other problems.

It was something she had to do.

She breathed slow and deep, listening as she took the first step from the clearing and back into the forest, crouching low to move on all fours, her arms turning silver-scaled and her hands scaled and clawed, carefully trying to compare the scents around them as she moved in the direction Yuuko had left hours before.

And when she finally began moving forward, she tracked the faintest of the group in the hopes of not ending up right back where she had started, moving low and slow as she adjusted to the hunt. An hour later she had moved only a few yards, breathing deeply, before she rose to her feet, moving along at a steady walk with her hands held slightly in front and to the side of her body as a precaution.

Finding Yuuko would take a good while, but she had the patience to avoid rushing, only speeding up when she was confident in her ability to track him and the world around her.
Raika

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:11 pm

The hunt was one, but there was the question of who exactly was the hunted one. True, Raika was far stronger than Muryuu, if it were a direct confrontation the chances of him defeating her were closer to 0% than to 1% but on the other hand she was blindfolded, he had a long time to prepare and she was in his backyard...his territory...his hunting grounds. Even the deadliest of beasts can be taken down by a single man if he is given enough time, wit and resources to prepare and he had learned how to prepare what his father once called a game from the mad man himself.

Muryuu had set things up that if Raika were capable of passing trough the initial "layer" set to make it hard for her to tell which direction to take then she would end up following one of three trails that he set up to be almost identical to each other.
One trail was set up with various traps involving explosive tags, he used up most of his explosive tags was were about 34 in number. Each trap (some as simple as trip wires and others a bit more elaborate with pitfalls and hanging nooses) didn't carry just the danger of blowing up whoever set it off but also of setting the whole area ablaze which in turn would make things even worse on the long run.
Another contained traps created using black scales, meaning that the trail was much heavier in Muryuu's scent but the traps were sturdy and dangerous. From black spikes coming out of nowhere to heavy logs flying from straight ahead ready to knock her head right from her shoulders.
The third trail had possibly the worst traps, the smell of scales was almost as strong the second trail, simply because he scattered scales all over the trail. While it might seem like nothing, the problem was that anything living that came in contact with the scales would have them stuck on their person, the scales would then activate and begin to multiply and spread all over the prey's body until encasing them in a steel hard shell.

Finally at the end of each trail awaited a Muryuu, each of them completely identical to the other.

Ryuuchi

PreviousNext

Return to Rails, Roadways, and Waterways