Uncertainty (Arzy)

The open land between civilization. Deserts, forests, volcanoes, canyons, rivers, rails. Have a good journey.

Uncertainty (Arzy)

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Fierce sapphire eyes watched his bloodied form carefully, silently circling in the large dojo they had come out into, the portal closed the moment Omoi had left it. The entrance was open, bringing in an ocean breeze and all the scents of the beach and a forest populated only by plants, no other animals or people at all, though part of a traditional-styled Japanese house was visible through the entrance....

"This is just another trick of yours, isn't it? Just like before. I mean... I can't see much point to you calling out Raika unless I was your real target, unless you just wanted someone stronger than average to kill."

Her eyes narrowed.

"But there's plenty of other S-rank shinobi you could've targeted instead, you'd just know less about their abilities."

He wasn't attacking. She could sense he was conscious, and that his injuries were regenerating now that he'd had a moment of peace, but... it still seemed odd.

"So tell me, Kuroryu. What do you want? Or should I just leave you here and go back to finding a way to kill you? Because trust me, I'll find a way. I'll tear you to shreds and erase your existence from the world for ever putting your claws on him."

Her voice was dripping with venom and hatred, sapphire eyes cold as ice.

It had to be a trick. He'd tricked her before, he was just trying to take a different approach this time.

And yet....

Her left hand shifted to her right, touching the ring she wore that Otoha had given her long ago, feeling the cracks in the sapphire.

She had to stay strong, not show any weakness. If she did, it would be preyed on immediately. And even if they were in her territory now, she refused to let that happen.
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

Re: Uncertainty (Arzy)

PostPosted by carcinoGeneticist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:51 pm

He'd open his eyes to find himself in an unfamiliar location. His immediate reaction - move - would utterly prove futile, a low, pained groan slipping past his lips. The faint buzzing in his ears would finally focus into clarity, Omoi's voice - her accusations - now audible.

His eyes would fall shut again for a moment, figuring it all for a dream, hoping that he'd wake up back in his bed in Kumogakure, in a world where the woman he loved hadn't gone mad and tried to kill him.

And where the hell was he, anyway?

Another grunt of pain, and his wrecked and ruined limbs would find stability long enough for Otoha to drag himself into a sitting position, eyes opening once more, focusing in on her form. His eyes, no longer the abyssal black of the Kuroryu, would still be a far cry from there original luster; while back to their original brown, the topaz ring marking him as a Blade would be ruined, shards of dull gold instead scattered through the iris, a broken ring.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he'd say carefully, knowing all too well that should she have another fit and attack him, he wouldn't be able to do much to defend himself. "But we can figure this out... Whatever's happened to you, I can help, alright? No need to get violent."
Push your care, push your burdens aside, erase everything inside and leave just one thing on your mind.
You only live once, so just go f.ucking nuts.
RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow
carcinoGeneticist
The Lightning Master
The Lightning Master

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:30 pm

The closer she studied him, the more attention she paid, comparing it all to her memories....

"You...."

He said he didn't know, and his scent wasn't lying.

And his eyes....

Her gaze shifted to where the arm the Kuroryu had given him once was; it was gone.

Was she dreaming?

Was this some cruel genjutsu?

Her eyes closed and her left hand lifted to her mouth, sharp fangs biting down hard as her own blood filled her mouth and seeped along her skin, sharp pain coursing through her. She opened her eyes.

He was still there. Nothing had changed.

Fangs released flesh and chakra healed the injury smoothly, even the spilled blood vanishing as her hand dropped back to her side and she slowly sank to the floor, silent tears sliding down her cheeks.

"...Otoha...?"

She was trembling, her armor breaking. If it was really him... if it hadn't been a trick, then--

Her firsts clenched, and she took a slow breath.

"How... how much do you remember?"
Raika

PostPosted by carcinoGeneticist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:53 pm

His eyes would narrow for a moment at the sharp coppery scent of her blood, even as it faded away. His good hand - his only hand, really - would lift free of the floor, wearily rubbing at his eyes.

"I remember going to sleep next to you, in Kumogakure," he'd say quietly. "And then I remember you trying to kill me. That's it. Nothing else."

His gaze would soften after a moment, having noticed the sharpness in his tone, not that being thrown through several buildings wouldn't leave one justifiably bitter.

"Mind telling me where we are?"
Push your care, push your burdens aside, erase everything inside and leave just one thing on your mind.
RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow
carcinoGeneticist
The Lightning Master
The Lightning Master

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:17 pm

"I'd never kill you."

The words were an instant reaction, quiet and fierce.

"Never you...."

Her shoulders slumped, sapphire bangs shifting to hide her eyes, her silent tears still flowing.

"We're... in one of my pocket dimensions. It's the only place I thought would be safe."

Safe for her, safe for the world.... But she didn't doubt the Kuroryu could seize her beloved from her again, given the chance.

"What happened at the last Yuki Ball that you remember?"

Did he remember the one that had foretold Kumogakure's destruction? Or had the Kuroryu stolen that from him, too?
Raika

PostPosted by carcinoGeneticist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:27 pm

"The last one that I remember?"

He frowns, thinking for a long moment.

"The ship we were on went down. But that was ages ago, I'm surprised that there hasn't been another since- That's irrelevant! Why are we here? Why'd you try to k- why'd you attack me?"

His free - only - hand finds its way to the absence of the other, rubbing the air as if dispelling a phantom pain.
RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow
carcinoGeneticist
The Lightning Master
The Lightning Master

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Her fists clenched, and she looked at her beloved, deep pain and anguish in her gaze, along with frustration and, for the first time in months, quiet love.

"Because you haven't been yourself in a long time, love. And I hate myself for not having noticed soon enough to save you from it before it all really began."

Slowly she rose to her feet, approaching him, her hand beginning to move as if to reach out to him--before she hesitated, a flicker of irrational fear in her eyes before she sunk back down to the floor, her mouth curled into a snarl of helpless frustration as she stared at the floor; she was a few feet closer now, but still out of reach.

"Do you remember leaving on a journey after my jounin exam? Or coming back from it?"

She was trying to figure out when he changed. When he'd stopped being himself.
Raika

PostPosted by carcinoGeneticist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:09 pm

"Journey?"

His lips would curve into a light smirk for a brief moment, assuming that she was joking. After a pause, however, it'd fall.

"Doesn't sound familiar."

He'd fall silent for a long moment, eyes warily watching her for a long moment before his gaze would soften. Unsure of exactly how deep her delusions - if that's what they were - ran, he'd take a different approach.

"Any chance I could have my arm back? Kinda missing it."
RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow
carcinoGeneticist
The Lightning Master
The Lightning Master

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Omoi quietly rose then, sapphire eyes focused on his brown ones.

"Otoha... I'm being serious about all of this. If I need to, I'll show you some of my memories with one of the seals I've developed, but... there are some I don't want to put you through."

And then she finally crossed the final distance between them, knelt by his right side, and gently laid her left hand on his shoulder, her chakra flowing to grow a new, very much human, arm from the stump, her free hand gently catching his new hand as it formed; the process itself was painful, but endurable, and the resulting arm was good as new as she softly kissed newly formed fingers, closing her eyes as warm tears dripped onto his skin and the bloodstains on the floor.

"I've missed you so much...."
Raika

PostPosted by carcinoGeneticist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:06 pm

He'd remain largely impassive as the new limb formed, his odd immunity to pain flaring up once more. He'd squeeze her hand in return once feeling had returned, chakra flowing through the reconstructed limb in a too-strong grip that was hastily adjusted. Free hand absently wiping tears from her cheeks, he'd lean forward, lips softly pressing to her forehead for a long moment.

"I'm right here," he'd promise quietly, "same as I always have been."
RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow
carcinoGeneticist
The Lightning Master
The Lightning Master

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:23 pm

"You're lying. You don't even know it, but you're lying."

A quiet sob shook her then as she trembled.

"If you had always been with me, none of this would have happened. None of it would've fallen apart."

She wasn't trying to accuse him. But if it had been him in control all of this time... it wouldn't have been possible for the Kinryu's twin to break their world and cause so much pain and death.

"It's been months since we could last be like this. Maybe a year since you were you, love, and not him. A little less than that since I was left alone."

She didn't know when she'd lose him again. When the Kuroryu would take over again to mock her helplessness.

"Please, Otoha, don't leave me again. Don't let him take you, don't let him look out of your eyes, don't make me have to fight you again and again and again and--"

Suddenly she switched to rage and hatred all over again, but none of it was at her beloved, none of it--

"I'll kill him. I'll make him regret ever touching you, ever touching either of us. I'll erase him for all that he's done, so he can't hurt the world again. I'll find a way, somehow, and then I won't have to hesitate about coming close to you, I'll be able to drop my guard again without risking myself, you'll be safe again...."

She was back to pain and tears and holding onto his hand so tightly, afraid he'd vanish if she let him go.
Raika

PostPosted by carcinoGeneticist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:59 pm

"Then tell me what happened," he'd insist, grip tightening reassuringly, free hand resting against her cheek.

"Show me your memories. Make me understand."

A slow, patient exhalation, still processing everything one step at a time.

"When I went to bed last night - my last night, you were there. Everything was fine. When I woke up, you were trying to k- to do something. I need to know why."
RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow
carcinoGeneticist
The Lightning Master
The Lightning Master

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:16 pm

His hands were warm and gentle and her tears still flowed.

Slowly she nodded, hesitant, and chakra flowed, becoming a small blue sphere hovering in midair, sapphire eyes focusing upon it as she filled it with memories; she didn't feel safe enough to open their minds to each other with her usual method, so instead she was basing a new seal off of her existing knowledge, tweaking and adjusting until she had something that would work....

And when it was done, she hesitated, her gaze meeting his.

"Otoha... I love you. And I'm sorry that you're going to go through this... because you'll be seeing my personal hell."

And then she softly kissed his forehead for a long moment before settling back, still holding tightly to his hand as the chakra sphere touched his forehead.

In retrospect, it was easy to see the changes, to see the signs.

He had left on some journey, wouldn't tell her where he was going, talking her out of coming with him.

Time had passed, and she'd grown more stressed and frustrated with each passing day--
the memories skimmed through here, skipping ahead--until he finally returned, but she didn't really see the changes. His hair was darker, his body was tattooed with seals that she had never really thought to ask about, his golden eyes had become encrusted with dark flakes, even his body changed somewhat, but she didn't notice, she was too happy to have him back--

Sebokik-sempai left, and Otoha became Commander, and she became his Captain--

The days moved on normally, up until their second Yuki Ball; Raika had actively invited them both this time, and Omoi was worried that the Ball might end up like the last one, but he had reassured her that nothing would happen. And then they were inside, but suddenly he excused himself as a scent from an invisible man wafted by, hardly noticeable amidst the crowd; she certainly didn't notice, too frustrated with his abrupt departure and too focused on greeting Recruit Hachimon. But Hachimon had amnesia, and her frustration grew as she looked for her beloved in the crowd and he stopped to chat with a strange female even though she knew he could smell the distress in her scent, and she wasn't sure how to handle the situation, but then Recruit Hachimon started acting strangely and marched off into the crowd, intercepted by Supaiku-sama and then retrieved by Otoha while she was distracted by an old acquaintance greeting her before he, too, left, and by then Otoha had met Tsuuki-sama and gone outside with Hachimon--

Omoi approached, asked if she could join them quietly, Tsuuki-sama giving the go-ahead as she slipped out behind her beloved, noticing Apollo-san in the shadows--

And then came the strange revelation of Kumo's impending destruction from Koji-san, one of the Yuki princes, and Tsuuki-sama suspected Otoha but she protected him and Tsuuki-sama turned back away--

And then Ryuuchi-san had shown up and Koji-san had flipped out and attacked him and Apollo-san moved to chase the boy but Otoha slammed the man against the wall, telling him to sit and watch, and she sent a message to Raika who joined them and tried to stop Koji-san but Ryuuchi-san moved her and handled the situation without violence--

And then days were passing and her beloved withdrew from her, never showing her affection when she didn't show it first, and then they woke to a mission call and they went to the village vaults, bringing Hachimon along--his memories returned during the Ball, though his time lacking memories erased from his mind--and she and Otoha went into the vault, and Hachimon stayed outside, and her beloved put up a barrier of light, talking about how this was the only place in Kumo they could talk freely after hugging her close for the first time in weeks, but there was a strangeness and she didn't notice--

He asked about Kaitou-kun, and she told him how she had met him recently, how she was almost ready to save him, how he had so little time left, and Otoha told her to deliver a message to him--

And suddenly pain burned deep, and her blood was a fine mist in the air as he grinned, dark-evil-dark-malice as she fell, so much of her body gone and her blood flowing out and not enough left to try to heal herself as he told her to tell Kaitou-kun that he didn't want another man playing with his toys, calling her a toy as the light fled and it was just darkness and the Kinryu had run away and her vision kept fading and blurring and all she could see was red from the pain, and he told her she wouldn't die, he'd call for Raika, but Raika couldn't heal that kind of damage, only Omoi could, and he left--

Raika came, and Raika was helpless, and Nihon-san was there too and panicking, and then a stranger came and sent them both out to do their duties and he healed her, and it hurt and all she could do was hurt and scream her beloved's name and claw at her rescuer's hands until it was done, and she was laying bare in a pool of her own blood until he lifted her into his lap and covered her with a blanket, and she thought of the ring he had given her and phased it out of her heart in time to see the light die and the sapphire crack, and all she could do was cry for him and hurt--

And finally she left the empty vault, money gone--gone when her love had left with Hachimon? she didn't know--and wearing clothes the man who had healed her, Kiyoshi-san, had given her, too weak to form her own scale-clothing, and they walked among the chaos that filled the village, and the scent of fire and death and blood and the sounds of screams and shouts and battle were everywhere, and she nearly got hit by a mass of chakra shot from a crazed bijuu she only learned of later on--

And she found a rooftop and sat on its edge, watching him fly out of the ruins of Raika's hospital as a great black dragon with pupils of red, and Ryuuchi-san following after him in battle, but she knew her beloved was too strong to die, even as she sat with her face and body a mask as calm as Raika's had been when she broke, but her tears were endless and deep within her emotions were a storm threatening to break her--

And Raika's dragons were massacred, and there were unfamiliar airships, and death all around, and then her instincts sent her to him, and she betted on Kiyoshi-san's unwillingness to let someone he just saved die, and she blocked Ryuuchi-san's attack that could have seriously hurt her beloved, and Kiyoshi-san blocked Otoha's attack that he had intended to send through both Omoi and Ryuuchi-san, and then Ryuuchi-san left after she told him to go back to Raika, because Ryuuchi-san and Raika were in love, and she turned to him and told her Raika never could have saved her, and he shrugged and pointed out that she was alive before he left, not caring, and she left, too, not wanting to stay and unable to follow her beloved, travelling with Kiyoshi-san.

It was later that she learned from Raika that Otoha had been the ones to let in the enemies, that Ryuuchi-san had attacked Otoha after smelling Omoi's blood on him, that her beloved's survival medal had been found stuck into the mouth of a corpse's head that had been placed atop the Captain's statue like a hat, that Otoha had cut off his own arm during the fight with Ryuuchi and replaced it with the black-and-red dragon arm he had used until after Omoi had attacked him herself, that the village had been destroyed and blown up and such a tiny fraction of the villagers even survived.

And months had passed, and she had left Kiyoshi-san's company, and she had saved Kaitou-kun, and friends helped her become less broken until she could be herself again, and she had thought and theorized that the Kuroryu, the void from her love's exam, the demon staring at them from the mirror in that dark dimension, that he had come with the Kinryu, and as long as her beloved stayed strong the Kinryu kept its twin in check, but then somehow he had weakened and she hadn't noticed and the Kuroryu had beaten the Kinryu and he was the one staring out at her from her beloved's eyes, and she had to kill a dark god of fate to save her beloved, she had to, but she didn't know how yet, and she would find a way, she had to, she had to--

And then today had come and she had sensed something was wrong and had come and stayed hidden to witness Raika and Otoha talking, then fighting, hearing their words and seeing the cruel smile twisting her beloved's face, watching the battle, finally pulling Raika back to save her life as he tried to do the same to the sennin that he had done to her, witnessing everything, witnessing the Kuroryu demand Raika's dragons in order for him to let the villagers live, she denying and stating that she no longer had a way to after nullifying her contract, heard him suggest he keep her company since she had to be lonely after Ryuuchi-san had gone crazy again and left her alone, and she denying again and drawing her blades and the battle starting--

And she had saved Raika, and attacked him, thinking the change in his scent and voice was another of the Kuroryu's tricks, thinking that she would attack and attack and attack relentlessly until she could capture him safely and take him away from the world before more blood was on his hands, since she couldn't save the villagers, but then he was breaking too quickly and his defenses were falling and it didn't make sense, his regenerative ability shouldn't be so weak, and then she had brought him into this pocket dimension, believing that the dark god of her beloved's bloodline was still the one in control until she realized it was Otoha, not the Kuroryu, and she didn't know why and it didn't make sense and she couldn't help but wonder if it was a trap but he was here, he was finally beside her again, he was finally himself, and even if he was dangerous she had missed him so much....

Omoi was still holding his hand tightly, sapphire eyes on him, wary and uncertain and waiting as her seal showed him the memories she'd put into it in a matter of seconds.
Raika

PostPosted by carcinoGeneticist » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 pm

With a cry, consciousness flaring back after the seal had finished its work, body aching from the phantom wounds Omoi had suffered, subconscious recalling the ones he had repressed, Otoha would move away from her, reaching the other side of the room in a fleeting instant, instinctual barriers raised at a moment's notice, dull, flickering solar energy, so close to darklight, reinforced trifold in between the two of them, a weave of scales netted throughout.

"It's a lie," he'd claim, frantic. "That's not.. I couldn't.. that wasn't me!"

And the room would quake for a moment, waves of ethereal energy rolling off of his body, broken, golden shards of a once lustrous ring in his eyes flaring up before being concealed by eyelids tightly clasped shut in pain.

"That's not true," he'd repeat, barriers fading to a smoky black before shattering, taking the scale-weave with them as they fell, dustlike, to the floor below, and faded away. Another instant, and he'd be before her once more, hand tightly clasped around her own, around her ring, focus and intent reshaping the sapphire, rekindling the glow within. A moment later, he'd glance down, only to let her hand fall away; instead of a golden glow, the stone would be lit from within by a deep black, darklight stored within the mended gem, gleaming in the physics defying way it tended to do.
RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow
carcinoGeneticist
The Lightning Master
The Lightning Master

PostPosted by Raika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Omoi watched her beloved's reaction with sad eyes, patiently waiting, and then he was before her again, trying to fix the ring, only to release it after he saw the black energy swirling within the healed sapphire.

For a moment she studied the alteration quietly... before she smiled faintly, the first she had shown to him since they had moved to her pocket dimension, and gently cupped his cheek with the hand that bore the ring, sapphire eyes soft as she gazed upon his eyes.

"It wasn't you, love. It was the Kuroryu, running around in your body. And I hate that I didn't notice sooner."

Her free hand cupped his other cheek, and she gently kissed him. When she drew back, her forehead rested gently against his, her thumb softly stroking his cheek.

"When he tries to steal you away, fight him with everything you have, love. I'm right here. And I'll be fighting with you as best I can. I don't want to lose you again. Alright?"
Raika

Next

Return to Rails, Roadways, and Waterways