Food For Thought | Rai

The many towns and cities tucked in the crevices of the world, uncontrolled by any formal power. Some are friendly. Others, not so much.

Food For Thought | Rai

PostPosted by Brera » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:15 am

"Table for one Sir?" The squeaky voice of the prepubescent girl split the silence.

Standing before her, Nyoko, dressed in familiar attire. A pair of black boots covered his feet and came over his ankles. His long legs hidden within the confines of his black slacks. As always, Nyoko wore his patented white lab coat with a black tank-top underneath. When it came to color, he always tends to stay in his comfort zone of blacks and whites. A bit odd considering the extraordinary color of his eyes; A vibrant shade of cyan. Yet all was not the same. Today was a special occasion. One which he, despite his appearance, had prepared for weeks. As such, his usual flowing jet black hair which often found itself hanging down his back was tied together in a ponytail. A subtle change. But a change nonetheless.

"No. I'd waiting on someone." He responded in a confident manner. Right hand tucked in his pocket, fingertips running along the edges of a watch tucked within. With a quick glance over the shoulder his eyes lit up like lights strung up on a Christmas tree. Turning his attention back to the young hostess "My guest is here." Pausing, Nyoko's eyes fixated on a secluded booth in the back corner of the resturant. " I'd like that booth if possible." He said with a sly tone.

"Uh-Yes Sir!"

Like a scampering mouse the young girl quickly grabbed a set of menus and ran off.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Re: Food For Thought | Rai

PostPosted by Rai » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Akemi wasn’t quite sure why she had come, she didn’t know the man she was here to meet, and the intermediary that had contacted her about meeting this man was someone she knew only casually. Nor did she have any idea why he wanted to meet her or what he wanted of her, yet here she was, having traveled some distance from home to meet him.

It was odd coming here, these streets, this restaurant... she was accustomed to the establishments back home, or the kind one would run into in small villages and town, this was a bit more upscale. Once it might have come naturally to her, but it had been so long since she had frequented a place like this, just as long since she had come to this city. Still she had dressed for the part, wearing dark gray pants with black blouse and higher heeled boots than she had worn in a long time. The only thing giving her away as shinobi to those in the know being her lavender white eyes which she had foregone camouflaging with her chakra stone necklace so that the man she was here to meet might recognise her, all she had been told to look out for with him was his rather vivid colored eyes, not that that was much to go on...

Or so she had at first believed before walking in, now seeing them from where she stood, they almost stood out as much as her own eyes probably did... well, to some degree.

" I'd like that booth if possible."

"Uh-Yes Sir!"

Making her way to him just as the young waitress rushed off, Akemi gave the man a slight bow before enquiring ”Nyoko Soujuu i presume?” . She paused for the briefest moment for him to confirm his identity before continuing. ”Well... I’ve come a long way to meet you... I’m rather curious to find out what this is about... Shall we? ” She gestured towards the table he had asked for as the waitress waved them over.
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Taking lead, he moved through the maze of mahogany tables until reaching their own. Stepping to the side, Nyoko waited for Akemi to take her seat before taking his own. Manners, a lesson his former sensie, Yondaime Otokage, had managed to instill within him. Following suit, Nyoko took a seat opposite his guest.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Eyes fixed upon the beauty before him, he took a brief moment to let his Giggi Splice analyze the person before him. "I've wished to meet you for quite sometime. I've heard much about you... here and there, I truly am greatfull you took the time to have diner with me." Curling, his lips formed into a sly smile.

"Can I start you off with some drinks?" Flipping threw a few pages of he notepad the young girls eyes bounced between Akemi and Nyoko.

Attention shifting to the waitress, Nyoko weighed his options "I'll start with a water..."

"And you miss?" Clearly fixed on Akemi, she waited.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Rai » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 pm

"It's a pleasure to meet you."
She nodded once again in acknowledgement as she settled in her seat. She had expected to be meeting someone older, he looked to older than his early twenties, if even that, then again looks could be misleading with Shinobi, she herself looked no older that he did, most guessed she was 20, 21... yet she was twice that now. If felt odd admitting that, even if just to herself, but the world kept moving forward at an unwavering pace... “I truly am grateful you took the time to have dinner with me."

”Yes, well... Mr. Ogura proved rather convincing...” she said in reference to the man that had approached her to organise this meeting in Nyoko’s name ”... though he was less than informative in regards to what this “dinner” would be about. Quite simply her curiosity had gotten the best of her, if she had come, it had in large part so as to discover what this Nyoko wanted to speak to her about.

"Can I start you off with some drinks?" the young waitress interrupted, and though she considered following suite with her dinning partner and going with simple water, she craved for something a bit more bitter "And you miss?"

”Green Tea, thank you.” She said before turning her attention back towards Nyoko though waiting for the woman to leave before finishing what she had been about to say

”So, then... I’ve come a long way... so if i may be direct, why am i here? Why did you want to meet with me?”
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Green Tea?! Fitting, considering his guest. Waiting for the waitress to leave, his mind drifted for a brief moment. "Perhaps wine would have been better suited for the occasion. Or maybe even saki? ...Rum?!" Snapping too, Nyoko's eyes chased the waitress as she made her retreat.

"To put it bluntly, I'm here to gather information. " Watching her every move, his eyes analyzed and processed all the data before him. "Both on yourself, and that of Mea Zen." Hands crossed before him, he leaned back slightly, adjusting his posture. "In fact, on much of Konoha, if i'm to-" Cutting himself off, he shot a gentle smile to the waitress as she returned.

Placing each of the glasses before their respective owners, the waitress' arms rested before her. It was obvious she was nervous, perhaps even frightened, yet she tried her best to remain professional. "Are you ready to order?"

"If you could, would you mind bringing out a bottle of you finest White Zinfandel?" Wine. A better option than Rum... at least for now. "I must apologies as well, If I could just have a few more minutes to look over the menu." Flickering his eyes to hers, they locked for all but a moment, yet the damage was done.

Snapping to a bow, she attempted to hide her flustered face before scooting away. Without a single cent of attention payed to Akemi.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Rai » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:33 pm

"Perhaps wine would have been better suited for the occasion. Or maybe even saki? ...Rum?!" "

She only smiled ever so slightly at this, though her eyes showed more curiosity than anything, his sudden shift of excitement with his idea amusing her.

"To put it bluntly, I'm here to gather information. Both on yourself, and that of Mea Zen. In fact, on much of Konoha, if i'm to-" "

His sentence was cut short by the return of the waitress come to enquire as to their order, but she had heard plenty to get her reminiscing. Akemi barely noticed the waitress or her mannerism, instead focused on all the old memories those names caused to rush forth in her mind.

Konoha... the village had crumbled a few years short of a decade ago, events spiraling out of control while she had been away on one of her sabbaticals, when she had left, the village was in a period of change but healthy and alive, when she had come back 7 months later the village lay in ruin with the various clans that had once called each other allies and friends were slaughtering each other for a few blocks of real estate. For the life of her she still couldn’t figure out how it had all fallen apart so easily after a century of prosperity.

And then there was Zen the 7th Hokage, gone even longer, her teacher and friend... more than a friend, he had been a father figure to her for years, “Daughter of the heart” he used to call her... he used to refer to each of his Yajuu pupils in a such a manner, in those days she found the title a bit silly and odd, one of Zen’s many quirks, yet it was only after his disappearance that she truly came to realise and appreciate how deeply he had influenced her, and how strongly his presence gave them all strength and how much she missed him...

"... If I could just have a few more minutes to look over the menu."

Pulling herself back from her reveries, Akemi raised her gaze towards the young waitress in time to notice the look in her eyes and the little blush in her cheeks as she nodded and smile to her dinner companion here. Akemi said nothing, giving the slightest hint of her amusement for just a moment waiting for the young woman to turn her attention to her to ask if she would want anything further, the question never came, with the young woman dashing off completely ignoring Akemi...

”Ooook” she thought inwardly while taking a deep breath and focusing once more on the man before her.

”You want to know about Konoha... And Zen... Why? Both are long gone and history now... It seems like a lot of effort finding me and arranging a meeting to ask about such things...”
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Twiddling his thumbs the young face of Nyoko looked perplexed. Eyes squinting. Lips raised to a curl. Glancing across the room, his eyes broke sight with Akemi's for the first time since their meeting, now, roaming freely in thought. Taking a moment to strategically piece together his answer. All in all this was not a look that came across his face often.

After a few moments the silence was finally broken by Nyoko. Vibrant cyan eyes fixed once again upon the beauty before him. "I guess the best answer is a honest one. Especially considering the subject matter. To begin with, I've done my homework on both Konoha and her forces. From the most powerful of clans, to the most mundane laborer. I uncovered her secrets and discovered the truth behind her legends. Yet, I, In my time, never had the pleasure of meeting those legends. Mea Zen most of all. "

Hands resting upon the table he paused as the waitress returned with the wine.
Pouring himself a glass, he let the win breathe for a minute before bringing the glass to his lips."Thank you-"
"My pleasure, Is-"
"As for my guest here, would you please bring out both a handle of Rum and a bottle of Saki please." Yes, something told him this conversation would be in dire need of alcohol. Both to ease the tongue and kill any unnecessary tension. Mostly for himself.

"Right Away!" Once again the eager waitress snapped too. Vanishing from sight just as quickly as she appeared.

"As I was saying, I never got to experience any of the great battles or triumphs such as the 4 Generals of Fire. I've always been one to work behind the scenes. I'm not saying i'm a mastermind, please don't think that, but I've always found myself to work better alone. Due to that, my eyes have seen many things, and my perspective on the world is a bit different. I cherish the shinobi way of life in all it's tales and glory..."

Taking another sip of his wine, Nyoko watched Akemi. His vibrant cyan eyes fixated on the tranquil lavender eyes of the Hyuuga.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Rai » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:15 pm

Konoha’s legends were many, from the villages founders Hashirama Senju, refered to a the god of Shinobi, and Uchiha Madara, to each successive Hokage all the way down to Zen, who’s chakra rivaled those of a Bijuu. From its multiple legendary clans to the legendary three sannin and Uzumaki Naruto... Of all the Hidden villages she could not imagine any could match Konoha in regards to legends .

She was about to speech when the waitress arrived with her companion’s wine, about to ask his what he needed from her if he had already unravelled it all, but she held off, preferring not to speech of such things in front of the young woman, not that it mattered, it was more of a personal thing, she wasn’t the type to share about such things openly...

"As for my guest here, would you please bring out both a handle of Rum and a bottle of Saki please."

Rhum... Sake... What this his way of trying to loosen her tongue? Get her a bit tipsy so as to make her more forthcoming? Heh well either way she hadn’t had sake in a long time, and rhum in even longer... why not.

With the waitress gone, her “host” quickly picked up where he had left off...

"As I was saying, I never got to experience any of the great battles or triumphs such as the 4 Generals of Fire. I've always been one to work behind the scenes. I'm not saying i'm a mastermind, please don't think that, but I've always found myself to work better alone. Due to that, my eyes have seen many things, and my perspective on the world is a bit different. I cherish the shinobi way of life in all it's tales and glory..."

Generals of Fire, pfft, the name tasted bitter on her tongue, foul, poisonous. It had all started out with such promise, with Zen recognising them as Konoha’s future, its strongest and most skilled, a new generation of commanders and his go to lieutenants when a job absolutely had to get done, they were to help him lead and protect the village, yet they had ultimately been nothing but failures and the village had crumbled under their charge because of it, each pulling his own way, more focused on their own selves than on the responsibility they had, and now 2 of them had long since vanished forgotten and lost just as Zen himself had gone, a third lived as a lecherous hermit out in the wilderness somewhere broken and a shadow of his former self.

And she... Well, she was just a guilty, her failure just as great, when Konoha needed its leaders and protectors most, she had been away on a personal sabbatical...

Zen would have been ashamed...

”Well sure, i have been in plenty of battles... fought in several wars. I’ve hunted criminals and tailed beasts alike.” Indeed, she had once managed to capture the 1 tail demon on behalf of Suna along with Kaguya Kai, and had aided Zen in trapping and sealing away the Yajuu demon, and perhaps most significantly and most recently she had become....

”I’ve been around for a while and done quite a bit, if that is what you wanted to hear, but... if you’ve studied Konoha’s history, i doubt i’d be revealing anything new to you other than perhaps my personal opinions and thought on these events, that might be of some value to you i guess, but something tells me that such simple things as my opinion on such and such battle isn’t what you went to all that trouble organising this meeting with me for...”

She paused for a moment, giving him a quick look over.

”Tell me something, you say you’re more of a behind the scenes kind of guy... that you’ve never experienced great battles of triumphs... But i can feel your chakra, it’s strong, balanced, steady... One doesn’t gain that level of control with study alone, it takes experience to attain that, for people like us experience usually means conflict more often than not, even if covert and hidden. You’re experiences might have been different, but you’ve had your victories, you had to have had them or you wouldn’t be here now as you are and with your strength...

So... before i tell you about my experiences, tell me a bit about yours.”
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:38 am

Her words were filled with truth, though his experiences may not have all been on the battle field, he himself had managed to achieve some amazing feats. From youth he'd been blessed with intelligence and a knack for his studies; the root of his success.
"I see your point, and as I said before, the best answers are honest answers." Placing the glass down, he ran his hand across the right side of his face, tucking a strand of hair behind his ear. "Since I was a child I was lucky enough to study under the Yondaime Otokage, Sieobo, most of my learning took place in the operating room. It was there that I first came across Naiya Shiyo. A man from Iwagakure. Aiding him, we performed a minor operation. My first hands-on expeirece. At that moment I became hooked. Assisting all our head doctors and getting in on any opperation I could. Sometime later Sieobo introduced me to one of Konoha's youngest and most promising, Uchiha Sasuke. A very conflicted man if I recall correctly. " Showing a slight smile, Nyoko thought of his time as a youth, and how things had changed.

"Not long after, much like Mea Zen, Seiobo vanished... gone. Yet I continued on. Growing and expanding my studies, from medical arts to genetics and even the forbidden arts. For awhile, I lived the life as just an ordinary doctor... until he showed up. " Biting his lip, cyan eyes wee set ablaze. "Wrecking havoc and chaos within Otogakure, Uchiha Madara, a man I'd though was long gone, managed to return. Using those devils eyes he managed to all but seal my village in a never ending genjutsu. Luckily for me, my studies had paid off, my body able to coup and counter the effects of his eyes to a degree. Buying me enough time to initiate Otogakure's defense system and stop that lunatic. The entire event seemed to happen within a blink of an eye. Those who recalled the events were sworn to secrecy, as for the rest... nothing ever happened, it was just another ordinary day. During that nightmare I was able to speak with Madarra, yet I didn't gather much, although he did manage to raise some questions. Bringing to light the shortcoming of the Otogakure council. "

As he spoke of his past, he remembered a specific operation he performed. Ah, yes- I recall the first time I set my eyes on that of a Hyuuga's. It was the body of a Suna Shinobi. I was instructed to remove the eye and prep it for transplant. Quite a treat, to have the eyes of a Hyuuga, no? Unfortunately for our client, you seem to have quite a difficult seal protecting your legacy. Though with time and effort, much effort, I finally managed to transplant the second eye properly. Running the tip of his middle finger around the rim of the glass as he spoke let out a quite 'hum' barely audible over their environment. "But I must say, the lavender hue, the beauty, of those eyes had faded with their corruption. "

Pausing his monologue the waitress returned with all the nights treats in hand. Sake. Rum. And even an appetizer; mozzarella sticks and nachos n'cheese.
"Order when ever your ready." once again she spoke with an upbeat attitude; did she really enjoy her job that much, Nyoko wondered.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Rai » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Uchiha Madara...tfff, how often had that bastard risen from his grave to plague the living... He had become the very definition of a demon.

"Using those devils eyes he managed to all but seal my village in a never ending genjutsu. Luckily for me, my studies had paid off, my body able to coup and counter the effects of his eyes to a degree. Buying me enough time to initiate Otogakure's defense system and stop that lunatic."

Hmm, he had indeed been holding it, being modest, to have resist the illusions of a Sharingan, particularly a Sharingan as powerful as Madara’s was no small feet, something few she thought could accomplish without a unique power of their own, unless they held true skill and mastery over their chakra flow...

"...yet I didn't gather much, although he did manage to raise some questions. Bringing to light the shortcoming of the Otogakure council. "

He she wondered what had been spoken, what Madara might have told him to question this council. But what he said next pushed those questions aside.

"...Quite a treat, to have the eyes of a Hyuuga, no?... "

Her gaze most likely changed, she wasn’t accustomed to people so openly speaking of such efforts, those who attempted to take the Byakugan usually did not speak of it so openly, a few years ago hearing him state it so openly would have warranted death both by Hyuuga law and the law of Konoha. Things had changed allot since then though, she felt oddly uncertain as to how to react, the Hyuuga were just as protective of their eyes as ever, the seal protecting them had even been altered since the days of the hidden leaf, still active and strong even if it no longer showed on their forehead anymore...

"Though with time and effort, much effort, I finally managed to transplant the second eye properly. "

Hmm, she would have been curious to find out who this client was, whatever his name he had done a very good job of keeping himself undiscovered by her clan, a wise choice, and an example the man before her now should better emulate she thought.

”I wouldn’t so openly speak of such things in front of a Hyuuga in the future, my clan takes this kind of thing very seriously and actively hunts down any they discover attempting anything of the kind and are even more so aggressive in suppressing knowledge on how to do it.”

There was no threat in her tone other than attempting to convey just how hostile her clan was to such things and how seriously it took it, but any trace of a smile had vanished from her lips and she was visibly less relaxed at easy now in her posture than previously.

"Order when ever your ready."

”Nothing for me... I’m not hungry”
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:13 pm

With his first glass of wine nearly finished he surveyed his options; continue with his wine, switch to sake, or dive right into the rum. Perhaps it would be best to stick to the wine. For now...
"I think we're fine for now, thank you." Spoken in a hurry, he kindly sent the waitress on her way.

"I apologize, I can often become numb to such sensitive matters." Realizing his lack of manners, he recomposed himself before continuing. "Where was I? Ah! after the incident with Uchiha Madara much Otogakure and myself included, began to strengthen and hone our skills. For this wasn't the first time we found ourselves in such a situation. Just a short time before that we were assaulted by the special forces of The Lightning... I believe they refer to themselves as "Bolt" if I recall correctly. Though that incident was much more confined than Madara's attack. Nonetheless, I took it upon myself to grow stronger. Both intellectually and physically. "

Wrapping his lips against the rim of the glass, the wine began to flow.

"I hope I'm not boring you too much. As I stated, I'm lacking in the tales of battle." Chuckling a bit, he tried to lighten the mood. Retracing any unwanted steps he may have made before. His goal wasn't to come here and rant about his life, but to gather information. Yet somehow it had turned out to be a snooze fest... at least for him. His life and experiences were nothing of legend. In fact, if you were to ask someone who are the most powerful shinobi in today's era, his name would fall short of even gracing their mind. Not like her, Akemi, not only did she bare the Hyuuga name, she herself was a warrior forged in battle, fighting against the most powerful names across the world. Nyoko would much rather have the rolls reversed, listening to her tales and stories. Learning of both her teacher, Mea Zen, and those she fought alongside.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Rai » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Taking in a deep breath, her eyes shifted to the table between them closing upon the glass of wine awaiting her attention before her. After a moment’s pause and finally exhaling, she took her first sip before turning her attention towards Nyoko once again. She still couldn’t quite figure him out, something his “love of history” research into Konoha’s past didn’t quite make sense to her, some element of his story was missing...

Just as she was about to speak she stopped, peering around real quick to see if that waitress was around realising suddenly how annoying she was beginning to find her. With the coast apparently safe she focused back on Nyoko.

”Well then, that brings us back here. So then where should we begin?... What do you want to know?”
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Finally, it was his turn to get some answers! Not missing a note, he jumped straight to his first question.
"Mea Zen! Where did he vanish off to? You, a former student, should have some knowledge of the man and how he thinks. Even with all the research I've conducted I lack first hand expeirence with the man. I was hoping you'd have some answers for me. Tie up some loose ends as well."

There was no point in beating around the bush. Who knew when Akemi would get bored of his questions. After all, it wasn't common practice to openly seek information like this. Specially considering the relationship between their respective villa- former villages.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Rai » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 pm

”Mea Zen...” She had attempted for months to find a trace of him when he disappeared, had tried to uncover what had happened, it wasn’t like him to have simply left Konoha as he had, not him...

”Very well, i will answer your question, but i’ll have another of my own after wards.” She said before taking another sip of her glass of wine... ”I have no idea where Zen is, I have no idea what happened that night he vanished, i tried for some time investigate what had happened, even had my ANBU investigating while i was still commander of the unit, but i never did find anything.”

That in itself disturbingly implied quite a bit, Zen wouldn’t have simply left the village he so loved behind like that, not without work, not without making sure that Konoha was properly prepared for the departure of its Hokage.

”It never quite made sense to me that he would simply leave without telling anyone, without saying anything... i suspected foul play for a while, but here too i never could fine any sign of him being attacked or abducted, no signs of violence, no signs of anything. The man simply vanished”

Vanished... it was easy to say that, but it had never sat well with her. By her very nature she had always been extremely curious, there were few things that frustrated her more than a mystery she could not solve, especially when such mysteries involved friends and loved one lost.

”As for the type of man he was... heh.”

Honestly as long as she had known him she had never truly figured out how to describe him. You had to know him to understand.

”He was ultimately dedicated to the village and his people, caring but firm, extremely powerful but humble as well. He loved the shinobi way of life and believed utterly in peace and strove for it and to maintain it all the time i knew him...” As much as she admired that last aspect in him this was also what she felt was his greatest flaw, he had for decades been able to create and maintain peace with many of the village’s traditional enemies, he could not see past that peace and Konoha’s friendships with other villages, even when that peace was beginning to crumble, he would not adjust, it simply did not seem to register to him, he or at least he never gave sign that he did. She could understood of course, it was hard accepting that something one had worked so hard to build and maintain was coming to an end...

”He was my teacher, my mentor and my friend.” Damn it... she knew it already, when this was all done and over with, she’d have to try looking for him again... one more time.

”Does that answer your question?”
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 pm

"More than you could imagine." Even when speaking of such a shaded material Nyoko couldn't help but smile. It was pleasing to know the man he'd admired through ink painted across sheet of paper, was i fact, that very man. Through out all his studies never once did it mention Zen being a tyrant or a warmonger. In every piece of text Mea Zen was a man who stuck to his values. For a while he pondered how much of the text views were squed and simply opinions of people who admired him. Yet today his worries were put to rest. Mea Zen seemed to be exactly the man he envisioned.

"You mentioned foul play? Were ties between Konoha and the other nations uneasy at the time of his disappearance?" If he recalled correctly, Mea Zen, along with Otogakures former Otokage "vanished" right around the same time. Right before Uchiha Madara attacked the village.

Unlike Akemi, Nyoko knew their was foul play in regards to Seiobo. Or at least that's what he had been investigating...
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Next

Return to Townships and Cityscapes