Just to Be on Your Own (open)

The ruins of the once mighty village. Beware what lurks inside.

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by Love » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Hiro did not let go of her coat sides until Koumei elaborated on the time that he was first alone, and only then because her hand rose over her mouth to cover a small gasp the shocked girl released. Her horror made sense as she would expect anyone to die where they banished to the bottom of a lake. As young as she was, she has had no exposure of the idea of Kekkei Genkai. The Yagami did not carry with them any special bloodline traits, and in reality weren't much of a clan considering that her father and her were the last surviving members, as all of the girl's ancestors had been irritated by the Hachibi the day her father was born. However, this dark history was not known to the girl, as was whatever it was that had given Koumei gills on his chest.

"That's so freaky!" The stunned girl muttered as she ran forward trying to get a better look. She only stopped when her toes became we through her sandals, not getting but a few steps into the lake that she had forgotten was there in her confusion. The cold bite of the water, chilled all the more because of the night that had fallen around it, got her thinking straight again and made her realize how rude it might seem to use the word "freaky", even though that was not the girl's intent. With an apologetic bow, she continued. "I'm sorry, it's just…" She lifted her head fighting to keep contact now with Koumei's eyes instead of staring at the odd adaptation. "I've never seen those before. So, that means you can breath underwater?"
Creation is a Collaboration
[ Signature | Activity | Request Thread ]
Poison on your lips
Love
Lethe ::HUG::

PostPosted by MankouZero » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 pm

"Yep. Sure can!" He answered as he lowered himself in the water to demonstrate. "Don't sweat about calling it freaky. That just means I'm the first Amikiri you've ever seen, which kinda makes me feel more special somehow."
Being an only child all his life could be the simple reason why he didn't mind Hiro at all. All his cousins that were the only ones to ever hang out with him were all older, and most of them were of age or even already married with families of their own.

"Now sit tight for a moment. I shouldn't be too long. Fish are harder to find in these smaller lakes unless you know where to look." Koumei then said before swimming further out. He then took in a deep breath of water through his gills and slowly emptied his air sack, sinking towards the deep. His long brown hair spread about like tentacles on his head. With keen eyes more than familiar with submerged landscapes, Koumei spotted what he was looking for. Gently, he let his net loose then swam for the other side of the lake.

Not more than two minutes and the boy shot back to the surface. With his net in tow, he swam back to shore with a satisfied grin.
"Not a terrible haul." He said before flinging the net like a nap sack on the ground. Then Koumei opened the net, peering at its contents. "Let's see what we have here... That looks like a bullhead catfish. Been a while since I've seen one of those. A couple small mouth bass. Those should taste good... That's gotta be a warmouth right there. Feisty one, too. Mmm-mmm... That is one good sized carp... And that's all that's worth eating here. There's usually only one thing you can do with all these sunfish."
Koumei picked up one of the several particularly small fish and flung it at the lake. It skipped on the surface five times before returning to its home on the bottom, a little shaken up but unharmed.
"Hey, I got five in there! That's the most I've ever done."

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

MankouZero

PostPosted by Love » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:17 am

The embarrassed girl blushed, her hand raising to uncomfortably rub the back of her head as Koumei sunk further into the water. She was still regretting her choice of words, especially since it appeared more than just Koumei had gills. She wondered how many others were like the boy. The young girl took his words quite literally, as once Koumei submerged from sight she plopped right down where she was on the edge of the lake. Sitting with her legs bent up, it didn't take long before she gave a puff of air to blow her bangs out of her face. This excursion wasn't turning out as fun as she had thought it was going to be, but that spite was mostly out of her newfound jealousy of not having something special like gills. Her arms, which had been hugging around her knees, dropped and quickly found there way to a stone setting along the shore. It wasn't long after that Hiro found herself back up on her feet doing the only practical thing when all you've got are stones and a lake.

Her technique wasn't great. It was a bit more than rusty to the point where it was practically nonexistent, but that didn't stop the stubborn little girl from trying to skip rocks on the otherwise calm surface of the unperturbed lake. She managed little other than two hops before the stones plopped into disappointing ripples.

She jumped back a little, however, when the last of her deep drops was answered back with a head coming out of the water, though it didn't take long for her to catch her heart realizing that it was only Koumei returning quickly from his dive. Running on the soft silt over to the man's side, the short girl crouched next to the net to get a better look at the wiggling haul. "They're so, scaly." She said with her hands on her knees, only pushing herself up after wide-eyed looking out at Koumei's superior skipping abilities, and with a fish no less. "Do you really think five is going to be enough, though?"

"Sounds fine to me!" A scraggly voice answered back, the source of which stepped out from behind the dead foliage surrounding the lake. It belonged to a stout man, almost as wide as he was tall though with a build that make it hard to tell if it was all fat, or if there was some hidden muscle beneath the coat of blubber. He had on him a white bandana worn like a cap, in a manner befitting the bandit that he was. No sure covered his belly, with the only attempt at covering his upper body being a black vest worn open. The fabric barely reached over his expansive midriff before a red sash cut across his waste to hold brown, tatted pants in place. In his hand, and resting on his shoulder, was a rusty looking cleaver. His portly hand reached out and waved towards him. "Alright, kid, hand 'em over before this gets ugly."

So much for uneventful.
Poison on your lips
Love

PostPosted by MankouZero » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:57 pm

"I-I..." was all that Koumei could spit out at first in reply to the bandit. He had already been taken by surprise once this evening, and this was a quick transition from the conversation he meant to continue with Hiro. Something stirred in Koumei though that made him repell the idea of begging for his life this time. Needless to say, the words that he chose to articulate next were quite rash in comparison.
"I'd say you make this moment ugly enough already," said Koumei, trying to keep a cool head and consider what real options he had. There wasn't much else he could do beside making good on his vow.
"What kind of trash would really kill over a few fish, I don't get," the boy continued, with a sunfish still in his other hand. "If you really do want it that badly, though-"
Koumei threw the sunfish at the bandit's face, following up by throwing the net over him along with the rest of the fish. He then turned to Hiro, grabbing her hand.
"Come on!" He said, tugging her back towards the way they came. Hopefully the net would buy enough time to escape the big guy. The troubling thought was that bandits are well known to very rarely operate alone. Worse than that was the realization that Koumei left his sword behind as well. Regardless, he made his way with Hiro in tow to try and make it back to the clearing alive, unarmed and vulnerable as they were now.

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

PostPosted by Love » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm

The cleaver resting on the man's shoulder was drawn off at him being called "ugly", though the rejecting grunt that came with the motion hardly served to rebuttal the claim. The offish lug didn't get more than a few steps into a haphazard charge before he was smacked square in the face with a sunfish. "Hey, what the…?" The bandit's sausage fingers smacking the small fish aside, his confused look moved from where his two victims had been to where they were running off to, his scraggly voice calling out behind Koumei and Hiro. "Get back here, you!"

Feeling disrespected, the bandit wasn't content to leave the altercation where it was. However, Koumei was correct to assume that a bandit rarely travels alone. Silhouettes of other armed ruffians appeared in the dark forest to either side and behind the pair. The various shapes were closing in, the Amikiri's speed ultimately hindered by the shorter strikes of the younger girl he was trying to pull out of harms way.

The prospects of it all did not look good till inexplicable the dark figures chasing after the pair started getting picked off one by one. It started with those closest to them. No sign of what was responsible. Instead, each of the dark figures seemed to just vanish, as if they had tripped below the line of the foliage in the forest. Other than it being extremely coincidental for all to fail their footing, the screams each one let out as they were dragged away was evident enough that they were being targeted. However, they yells did not echo long before the forest was filled with silence, except for the noise of Koumei and Hiro's flight.

By the time the pair spanned the short distance from the lake to the campsite clearing, they were alone, except now for an alarmed Ryuu. The rush state of their return brought Ryuu to attention. Jumping from where the wood he had chopped had been neatly piled, an outstretched arm extended back towards where he had planted his sword causing the blade to again glow white as it seemingly came to life and flew to him so he could hold it defensively with the steel stretched out towards his pinky.

"What is it? Are you alright?" He said scanning the forest from wince they came.

Once they were safely in the clearing, Hiro snapped her hand out of her protector's grip, bent over as she caught her breath. "Fine…we were just…just racing, all it was." There was enough hesitation there to tell that she was trying to explain it all off without telling the truth. Maybe it was all because she thought she'd never be aloud out of her father's sight if he knew that something really had happened, but for whatever reason it was clear that Hiro didn't want her father to know of any danger the two where in. While she silently mouthed "Thank you" to Koumei, she also begged with her eyes for him to follow along with her ruse.
Poison on your lips
Love

PostPosted by MankouZero » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:19 am

Something was off. There very well were more bandits that were chasing them, and it was more than obvious that something even more dangerous hunted each of them down. Their cries were haunting his memory as he was now in a daze at guessing who or what it could have been. He had presumed it was Ryuu that was the one, yet here he was ignorant of the whole thing. What on this blue green planet was going on?

To top it off, Hiro brushes the entire ordeal off with a lie expecting Koumei to play along with it. It was an incredibly tough thing to ask for. For starters, he was terrified of the idea of lying to the man. Also, it was difficult to try and think of a good reason to explain the things he was missing now, namely his shirt when he was off alone with the man's daughter. Koumei suspected he would be begging for his life real soon, if even given the chance.
"Yeah... I wasn't able to catch... anything... Lost my net on a log... Lost my shirt trying to get it free..." He came up with, corroborating with Hiro as best as possible considering. "I gave up. We got bored. She challenged me to a race. And here we are."

He didn't like this bit in the slightest. Not that Koumei didn't understand where the girl was coming from, remembering her comment about not ever being able to do things on her own, sort of. Still, the man had to know about the danger he assumed they were still in. Whatever got those bandits could be after them next.

Yet, on the other hand again, Koumei was used to being dishonest in some sort with his own parents. If they really were still in danger, the man would still be able to take care of it and perhaps he would remain none the wiser.

What a fine net full of urchin this was, as Koumei's uncle would put it.

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

PostPosted by Love » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Ryuu's eyes moved from Koumei to his daughter, his look becoming stern when it fixed on the girl. Tilting her head down to look at her feet was all young Hiro could do to avoid cracking under the pressure, even if it was a very shameful tell. His nostrils again flared as he took in the scents around them. Ryuu's stance relaxed, and though he did not sheath his sword as he stood up straighter, the blade of the weapon was pointed vertically behind Ryuu's lowered arm so that the two were parallel with each other.

He did not say anything, but he didn't need to his voice to ring out, though when it did it came from behind the two out of breath youths. "You shouldn't tell lies, Hiro!" The deep voice caused the frightened girl to jump, a hand raising to catch the heart that nearly leapt from her chest. Walking into the clearing form out of the forest was a second Ryuu, with the only noticeable difference between this new one and the original being that the doppelgänger did not have the sword that the first was holding. "And it's even worse to cause others to lie." The second Ryuu crossed his arms as he looked over to Koumei.

The clone did not linger a moment longer before he bursted into nothing but a rapidly vanishing puff of white smoke. Ryuu all this time had been completely undisturbed from the appearance of his mirror image, though when the duplicate of himself vanished the smile that crossed his face was perhaps his most honest attempt to crack a smirk all night.

While Koumei might not be following along with this turn of events, Hiro knew exactly what it meant, which was why she started throwing a fit. "You made shadow clones? Arg!" The young girl stormed off in a furious hurry, marching over to the pile of wood almost as though she was storming off to her room. If there had been a door, she would have slammed it. However, in the absence of such outburst, the pouting girl made it a point to turn her back to her father as she sat down and hugged her legs.

Needless to say, Ryuu's attempt at a smile had been squashed by his daughters' reaction, his solemn face returning to its stoic norm. "It's alright," Ryuu said softly as he turned over towards Koumei, placing his unarmed hand on the boy's shoulder. "You kept your word." He said with an affirmative nod that was followed with a slight throw of his head back to direct the Amikiri clansmen towards the center of the clearing. "Come, join us by the fire." After Ryuu's shadow clone vanished, all its memories had been transferred back to the source of the technique. While Ryuu hadn't known what to expect out of the forest when Koumei and Hiro first returned, he now knew exactly what had happened as he was privy to not only what his clones had seen when it had silently spied on the pairing, but also to the bandits that it had dispatched as Koumei led Hiro out of the danger.

Ryuu turned and stepped up the rubble as he made his way to the unlit pile his daughter was skulking by. As he walked he sheathed his sword before pulling out the black scabbard and resting the weapon against one of the dead trees that he hadn't chopped to pieces. "Did you really think I'd leave you alone with a stranger we've known no longer then a minute in the middle of all this?" His eyes looked around to the dead forest that surrounded them. The dark forests grew a little bit brighter as Ryuu dipped his arm into the pile of wood, rubbing his fingers together to ignite the Katon within him and spur up a fire that quickly started to crackle on the dried wood. "Especially when you've not so much as completed your basic training. Nor can you mold elements, nor can you handle a sword."

Hiro had attempted to avoid looking at her father, though didn't attempt to scoot further away as she wasn't about to move further from a fire considering how cold it was starting to get. However, as he father lectured her on her shortcomings she couldn't help but flail her arms down and move her self into a more confrontational knelt position directed towards the elder man. "But I would if you would just teach me!"

Pulling his unburnt arm from the blaze, Ryuu turned from his daughter to the dancing fire. "Don't be so quick to surrender your innocence, you can't get it back once given."

Koumei, unfortunately, was brought in on an argument that extended further back then this one night. Hiro wanted to take up shinobi training. She had been expecting for it all to begin once her father had come back to stay at the Fire Temple, and even more so when he announced that the two of them would be journeying together. Up until now, all she had been taught was what the basic training that the monks taught all their underlings, though it could hardly be considered a fair substitute for shinobi techniques.

"Not this again." The words and associated eye-roll didn't come from the Ryuu that was conversing with his daughters, but yet another shadow clone that had snuck up beside Koumei. While again, this might prove shocking, at least this copy of Ryuu had for the Amikiri clan member a gift, several of them in fact. After finishing up with the bandits, the second clone had lingered behind to recollect not only the net of fish, but also Koumei's shirt and sword. Setting the fish and swords on the ground, the clone passed Koumei's shirt to the boy before disappearing like the first into nothing but a puff of white smoke. Luckily, that was the last of the clones Ryuu had made to tail the excursion.
Poison on your lips
Love

PostPosted by MankouZero » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:05 am

The sniffing put Koumei on edge. Then the sudden appearance of the clone behind them made him stumble to the ground. He could stand his ground against a fat bandit, but against Ryuu the boy could hardly stand at all from the intimidation. Quickly, Koumei got back on his feet though not exactly sure of what was happening still. When Hiro exclaimed about shadow clones, it became a little more clear for the boy. Ryuu's smile was almost equally confusing. Koumei didn't know how to take it until the man put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. When beckoned to join them, the boy hesitated at first. He eventually made his way to the opposite side of the fire pit, not feeling comfortable enough to sit any closer to the two.

Koumei tried to remember a time when he sat by a fire with his family. There was at least one time, when he was quite young. His father, his birth father was still around then. Those were different days. It was those days that Koumei remembered having chats with his dad much like the one Hiro was having now. It was quite the reverse for him, though. Back in those days, the boy was content to be a simple fisherman while it was his birth father that wanted him to be something more.

The second clone took Koumei less by surprise this time. The conversation was quite uncomfortable, not only for what it reminded him of but also how he was refered to as being a stranger. It was true, but still made the boy grow silent. That was until he noticed that the second clone had saved his gear, as well as the fish.
"Oh! That's good. I almost had it in mind to sink my teeth in that warmouth the first I saw it." Said Koumei as he graciously accepted his great back, referring to his apparent hunger. "Would have been a waist otherwise."
Immediately he found some spare sticks lying on the ground that he began to scewer the fish with, sticking them in the ground with the fish pointed over the side of the fire. He made sure to put the biggest ones, the carp and the catfish, closest to Ryuu. Once the fish were cooking, the boy then arranged his shirt on a log so that it would dry from the residual heat. Then he made to fold his net up.
"Now, I know this place doesn't seem like much, but it does so happen to be my home," Koumei remarked as he worked on his net. "Or, at least it was my home before now."
His eyes went from the fire to both of the others sitting opposite.
"So, you've come from the Fire Temple? That's somewhere in the Fire Country, right? Obviously." He began to discuss as the argument seemed to dissapate. Koumei paused before he continued as he noticed a whole in his net.
"What brings you out this far east, then? If you don't mind me asking." He asked them as he began to mend the fishing tool.

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

PostPosted by Love » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:54 am

"You always say things like that!" Little Hiro hadn't even noticed the second shadow clone returning. She was far too consumed in trying to make her point to her father. However, she was prevented from carrying on further by the raised finger that was pressed against her lips to silence her. Ryuu already knew how the rest of this conversation went, though his interference was about more than preserving time or energy. When his shadow clone that had retrieved Koumei's effects vanished, the memories of the clone returned to him and with them the notion of what this all looked like from a third party's perspective.

"Let's not continue being rude, especially not in the presence of such hospitality." Ryuu said in a whisper directed at his daughter, while ending the words with a nod of his head towards Koumei, who by this point was positioning the fish around the open flames.

Ryuu's words seemed to settle Hiro's temperament, loosening the girl up some as she sat down more comfortably and looked over towards Koumei, a timid "Sorry," came with an embarrassed look when the young girl finally realized that she had been arguing in his presence.

Ryuu, too, relaxed, at least so much as he could allow himself. While the amateur bandits had been easily dispatched, the trained shinobi still did not trust this land Koumei called his former home. Along with other human threats, the fire and food could draw out all sorts of beasts. They were luxuries that he would not have afforded himself were he traveling alone, but with as young as his daughter was a campfire for warmth and comfort could simply not be denied. The large man sat with one knee bent up, while his back leaned against the same burnt bark that his sword was rested upon.

"I came in search for something, or at least clues to where it might have gone." With a wrist resting loosely on the perch that his upward facing knee allowed, the Yagami man spoke in the same deep monotone that was custom for him. His vagueness was not this time offered out of distrust, but simply the notion that it mattered little to talk about a subject that, Ryuu was fairly confident, Koumei would know little about. "I brought Hiro here to acquaint her with more of the world then what the confines of the Temple would allow."

The sent of frying fish started to perfume the air to tease the food that would be done soon. The aroma was having its greatest effect on Hiro, who only took her eyes off the fish that had been staked in front of her at the mention of her name, her head first turning towards her father as she picked up on what Ryuu was staying, before turning back towards Koumei. "I was born in the Fire Temple." Sitting in a butterfly position, her legs started fluttering up and down anxiously like the wings that so inspired the stances name. "I was born in the Fire Temple, raised there even. Trust me, there's not a whole lot of fun to be had in a place filled with monks." The young girl said as she raised a hand to swipe some of her loosened hair back behind her ear. Given the company she was usually around, she was lucky to still have such thick hair since almost everyone at the Temple ritualistically shaved their heads.

"What about you?" Ryuu interrupted before his daughter could start to rant about life at the Temple. "You said this place used to be home for you, yet your attachments here are still quite fresh." That was one of the things he could tell with his aptitude towards scent. Even without being able to detect the spiritual ties Koumei had to this land through the use of the Yomigan, the only scents the young Amikiri had on him were all local smells. Ryuu could tell that the boy had never traveled far from where they were now, which gave away the meaning behind the lad's words. "Bit late to the exodus form this land, and even among those that are left the fishing wells can't have dried up." It didn't take Koumei long to land this small score, and since he had no physical signs of also being a farmer the staple of life for the boy wasn't what was driving him away from the Land of Water. "That all lends to the belief that there's something more personal in your motif to leave. Am I right?" Of course, that was the extent that could be read off of Koumei. While Ryuu could piece together all of that, the man wasn't willing to speculate what this personal reasoning was, as it could be one of many things.
Poison on your lips
Love

PostPosted by MankouZero » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:32 am

The mystery behind Ryuu's words were intriguing. What was so important to find that someone would venture through a dump like the former Hidden Mist Village in the Land of Water, Koumei just had to know. All in the right time, at least. For now he was content to know just a little more from where they came from. Although, more questions were popping in his mind. For instance, where was Hiro's mother? Did they leave her behind, or was it the other way around? Hiro wasn't an estranged child, was she?

The questions settled for a moment as the focus was turned back on himself. A sad smile came on Koumei's face at the word "fresh." He suddenly felt somewhat defensive now with the understanding that these two were just as much strangers to him. It was quite strange to open up to anything other than the stars. First steps into new territory can be hard to make.

"I was born of the Amikiri, a people that have gone through a lot these past, oh... couple ages or so." Koumei began to say as he finished a final knot in mending his net. He then quickly folded the rest of it, placing it neatly on the ground next to him. "My dad tried to teach me and the rest of the clan how we should "open our eyes to the world in need of light instead of blinding ourselves with the dark of the past.""
The boy got to his feet for a moment to glance at the smallmouth bass he set to cook in front of Hiro. He then quickly checked his own warmouth, finding it just the right tenderness. Koumei took it off the fire and placed it aside before moving to check the bass. The boy was being vague himself, mostly because there was too much say about the question in one night it seemed.
"It wasn't until he died that I really began to see what he meant by that. Wasn't until today that decided to act on it." He concluded as he pinched both bass, deeming them as done also. He paused before handing them to Hiro.
"Um... The... eldest eats first." Koumei said uncomfortably as he didn't want to come off as insulting, nor for some strange reason did he want to abandon his family's traditional table manners drilled into him since birth. He point at her father to make sure she knew he wasn't referring to himself. Standing rule of Koumei's household, even when his uncle became his stepfather was that the oldest at the table always had the first bite. Always. Koumei had figured growing up that it was a gesture of trust; the child or children would provide the meal and the oldest guardian would then have first taste to see that it was "good."

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

PostPosted by Love » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:26 pm

"So you're father's…" Hiro silenced herself before saying something rude for another time. Instead of putting her head down this time, she turned towards her own father. Though it wasn't spoken, she was thankful she still had her father. Without him, she'd be all alone.

Biting her lower lip, her attention was caught on Koumei pinching the frying fish in front of him. Having never lived out on the road, she didn't know how to tell if the fish were ready without looking to her elders to follow their lead. Reaching out, she grabbed ahold of the bottom of the stick in front of her and with a little wiggle she plucked it out. Instantly she brought it up to her gapping mouth, only stopping her chomp when Koumei spoke up. What she lacked in the manners that one would expect from a young lady she made up for in her respect for others. With a degree of disappointment she lowered the fish down into her lap and looked over towards her father.

Taken aback by the gesture, Ryuu pushed himself off of the charred back at his back. "Odd tradition." He said with a shrug as he reached out for one of the two fish that Koumei had sat in front of him. While he wasn't accustomed to such formality, it was clear he wasn't going to object to it. His hand moved from the carp to the catfish, grabbing both so the neither would burn, though ultimately the catfish just ended up being replanted between the two Yagami. Bringing the cooked carp up to his fanged mouth, he took a large bit with his jagged teeth to satiate the requirements he was put under.

Hiro's head turned to Koumei to see if that meant it was alright for the rest of them to dig in. With bis affirmation, she'd greedily start in at her own more like it was a corn of cob, spinning the stick to rotate the fish as she munched away at it. She wasn't very primped or proper, but the smile across her chewing face told of her delight at Koumei's gift.

Ryuu was a little less enthusiastic in his eating as he did not want the conversation to die down from stuffing his face like his daughter was. "I don't know where you're headed off to, but I wouldn't expect to stand on ceremony much longer out here on the road." He spoke from experience even as he took another bite. "You're fine tonight, but you might not be so blessed with time on other nights."

His deep voice and years over Koumei made it hard to not come off as lecturing the younger lad. However, Ryuu didn't just have guidance to offer. After a pause that let his words sink in, he tipped up the fish and nodded towards Koumei. "But thank you."
Poison on your lips
Love

PostPosted by MankouZero » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:56 am

The boy waited, ignoring the word odd. After the first bite was taken he still waited for approval. Not just the go-ahead to eat, but...
Koumei looked to Hiro instead and got the reaction he was looking for. He went back to his own spot and began to eat the fish he prepared for himself.
"A good catch is only as good as it tastes." The boy said gleefully, and with little regard at first of the food in his mouth. This one statement is one he could call his own. Not many other Amikiri were willing to say such things out of being thankful enough for what they could eat. The fishing hadn't dried up at all, but it had certainly become harder since the collapse of Hidden Mist.

"I couldn't imagine any other sort of send off I could give myself." Koumei said in quick reply to Ryuu, after finishing a swallow. "There is nothing for me to find here but grief, it seems. That's part of the reason I'm leaving this place. More or less I'm off to find out where I might learn a thing or two about being a medical ninja."
After another bite, he continued.
"I've learned all that I could about first aid and basic anatomy. There isn't much else to learn from a clan of fishermen."
Koumei hesitated before taking another bite.
"I know enough about geography to know I have to go west toward the main continent." He said pointing with his free hand. "Once I get there, I'll have to figure everything else out as I go. I know of only the major countries by name and reputation. I couldn't point them out on a unmarked map, and I don't have access to a marked one either."
The hopelessness of Koumei's situation was becoming more real to him as he described it. He took a smaller bite out of the fish, getting a little lost in his thought.

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

PostPosted by Love » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:21 am

"I see," Ryuu said after swallowing another bite. He had worked more than half way through the fish as Koumei explained his goals. Meanwhile, Hiro had completed devoted hers', right down to the stick. Being the smallest she, of coarse, had been given the smallest. However, the disappointed look she had upon finishing was quickly replaced as Ryuu shifted his half eaten carp to his other hand, and used the arm closest to Hiro to lift up offer up the catfish to the small girl. Even though the catfish seamed over half her size, she went at it with even more exuberance than the first. Ryuu knew his daughter, and knew that she hadn't learned to live on the road much yet. He couldn't blame her considering her life in the Temple, but he had learned long ago to live off rations alone, so he wouldn't even feel hungry after only one fish.

"All the great medical shinobi of the modern age have hailed from the Land of Wind." He said shifting his eyes from Hiro to Koumei. "However, there you'd find yourself a fish out of water. The desert climate is very dry and harsh, and while the country's newly formed capital is near the waters of the western sea, you'd have to travel the furthest west to reach it." After the collapse of Sunagakure and the ensuing civil war that erupted in the Wind Country, the reforged shinobi village was positioned as far west as possible to use the massive expanse of the desert as a form of defense. The Wind had become isolationists, much more than they ever had been before. However, the real difficulty for Koumei would be adjusting to the environment as someone whose clan was based in water. "Kumogakure also had some medics of note. Yet again, I'd not venture to the Land of Lightning, north of these isle. Shinobi no longer control the country, and those that remain, even those simply with medical jutsu skills, are being persecuted for what they are." Samurai had taken over the Land of Lightning. The battle had not been long, but it had been fierce. Those shinobi that remain were all underground, and patrols still scoured the land in search of them. "Perhaps your best bet would be Yukigakure in the Land of Snow. It's an island nation, like this, which means a lot of water. While the climate there is much colder, the government is still fairly stable."

Ryuu was speaking from experience. He had traveled across the map, lived in every country. He had fought in battles where they had arisen, yet it had not just war that had increased his knowledge. While had hunted many persons around the world, he had also lived among the various peoples and cultures. He'd be a man of the world, if he hadn't been so afraid of personal bonds in his youth.

Still, sharing his knowledge with Koumei was the least he could do now. Planting the stick with a finished carp in the ground beside him, he leaned back once more against the tree behind him, waiting to answer any questions the Amikiri might have, as there were still many countries he hadn't mentioned.
Poison on your lips
Love

PostPosted by MankouZero » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:56 am

The first two mentions of other countries first brought excitement to the boy, and a hopeful gleam in his eye. Though, the dangers he described of them dampened Koumei's spirits and lowered his gaze. Crossing a vast desert did not sound entertaining in the slightest. Nor did the Land of Lightning sound likely to be hospitable. If he wasn't so sure he would be on his own most of the way, Koumei would think such risky territories would be worth the while.

Koumei ate further of his fish, trying catch up with the others. A long day and a good meal were starting to put one thing on his mind. His eyelids were heavy to show. Koumei covered a yawn, yet refused to let sleep prevent him from learning more.
"Well, I'm sure this Yukigakure is a nice place. But I really want to find some specialized training. Diagnostics and medicine are what I want to specialize in." He said in defiance of fatigue. "I already know I have a firm stomach and steady hand enough for surgery. Wounds of battle are serious, but usually the easiest to heal. The smaller, more subtle things like viruses, poison, and disease are usually the most dangerous things known of and require the most dedicated medics to cure."
There was of course more personal reasons as to why he wanted to be a medic, and more specifically work in diagnostics. However, this particular subject was too heavy to speak about at this moment.
"If Yukigakure has anyone willing to teach me on one things, I suppose I could go there. If not, then..." Koumei drifted off both out of sleepiness and out of waiting for Ryuu to keep talking about other countries.

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

PostPosted by Love » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:28 am

"Unfortunately then, the snow might not be for the best." He had leaned his head back till it met with bark. While the marshlands might not have survived very well after the devastation of the Bijuu, not even the Rokubi could scorch the sky. Ignoring all else, this place seemed peaceful. Without the pollution of man, the sky somehow shown brighter. "They may have such a healer there, but they'd lack the raw ingratiates." Outside of evergreens and lichens there were not a plethora of plant-life that could survive in such cold conditions. Such environments also weren't well suited for creating medics well versed in toxins. "Perhaps then the Ash Country. The tropics there are suited for poisons, though the air quality takes a little getting used to." More than one active volcano made up the archipelago of the Land of Ash. Those that lived there had to develop a taste for soot.

By now, Hiro had finished her second, larger fish. Much as was happening with Koumei, the weary of the day was catching up with her now that her belly was full. Etching her way over to her father, she cuddled up against his chest. "Perhaps it's not so much about the location, as much as the medic." Ryuu continued as he leaned forward some. His hand caught his daughters head to keep her from toppling over as he adjusted. Meanwhile, his other arm unfastened his shirt in the front. Sliding the garb off, he used it like a blanket to cover Hiro up before leaning again against the tree with only his sleeveless black undershirt now between him and the bark.

"The medic most renowned for diagnostics came from the Wind. Before getting your hopes up," He interjected not wanting to give false hope. His red eyes again were on the stars and the infinite space above them. "She disappeared with nary a trace, but there are others that would be well suited for such skills. The Onoda, for instance, are a clan that hails from my country, the Fire. Their training would make them well adept to such precision, even if it does sway them more towards the warrior side of things. Besides Konoha, they have complexes in both Suna and Iwa, though since each of those villages have been dissipated they've likely scattered throughout the countryside. The Aburame, famed bug tamers, have a knack for small poisonous things."

"I'm afraid I'm not being much a help, am I?" Ryuu said tilting his head down to Koumei again. "I don't have much experience with medics, but I do know this: A sensei can only take someone so far. If you want to meet the person skilled in diagnosis and poisons, all you really need to do is keep moving forward till the day you see him in a mirror." Koumei might not find a perfect tutor, but you'd be surprised what you can teach yourself with trial and error.
Poison on your lips
Love

PreviousNext

Return to Kirigakure Ruins