Just to Be on Your Own (open)

The ruins of the once mighty village. Beware what lurks inside.

Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by MankouZero » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:04 am

Quiet nights like this used to be all the young lad would live for. In his younger days, the stars would be his only comfort. They seemed to listen better somehow than his mother did, or anyone of the seemingly cursed family and clan he was born into. There didn't seem to be any other way to convince anyone how serious Koumei's desire was...

Each time he would go on an extended trip, his mother would prepare the right amount of food. Little did she know what the boy was planning. On a mid-autumn night, Koumei Amikiri set out on what he figured would be the longest journey of his life. He was going to find out how to be the greatest doctor who ever lived.

The only conceivable way of doing this was, of course, finding the greatest teachers in the world. It would be a hard time to find them, but Koumei knew he would find no such teachers where he was now. All they would want him to do is reconsider his life. To reconsider his desire to help the world, even though it had abandoned his clan.


There had to be something more, and it had to found somewhere other than home. Although, Koumei could not express how much he wished he found what he was seeking after the first defiant step out of the den.

"You don't plan on coming back this time, do you?" Anguish turned the child around to see his mother holding a candle and looking rather apathetic in her gaze. "Go on! Get out of here. Go on and die, for all I care. You were so unappreciative for what your family does for you. The least you could do is rid us of your stubborn self. We have no need of layabouts in this house."

Koumei fought quite hard to keep the tears from flowing down his cheeks. No mere amount of desire for things to work out better than they do seems to do anything at all. This realization made it easier for the boy to let it go, and follow through with his decision.

"I can always have another son. Or perhaps a daughter, with just a little more sense than you enough to be one with her family!"

Walking turned to running. Running to sprinting. Koumei tried hard not to care any further of what his own mother said. This was the right thing to do. He just knew it.

The problem lay not with finding his way out of the country, but finding out what other country to go to first.

"At least I don't need a boat." Koumei remarked to himself, thinking so far that this was the only gift his family ever gave him; the ability to swim far away from them as possible...

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist



Image
My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

User avatar
MankouZero
Member
Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by Love » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:18 pm

"Hiro!" A deep voice called out in the dark forest. The moonlight shining through the finger-like branches above made the silhouettes of the dead forest all the more eerie. Was it not for the tall, red-haired man calling out for another you couldn't be faulted for thinking he was all alone. After the wrath of the Rokubi ravaged these islands nothing seemed to go, and there was no other sign of life. There was a small shake to his head and a sigh before he continued speaking to himself softly, "That girl."

His annoyed expression was quickly wiped away by the second pair of eyelids that slid over his sockets in a very inhuman fashion. To Ryuu, the world around him disappeared and was replaced with a realm of spirits. The wafting images shown bright making the girl playfully hiding behind one of the dead trees standout like a lighthouse on the shore.

"Rwar!" The young girl leapt out from behind her hiding place, hands raised like monster paws at the sound of the man's approaching footsteps. However, the surprise fell on empty space and resounding silenced. Arms dropping, the confused girl looked around with a timid look. Her shoulder length red hair, a perfect match for the more unkempt style of the man's, waved as she looked from side to side.

"Boo!" The girl, Hiro, jumped in shock at the whisper form behind her. Ryuu had appeared like a phantom, an easy feat for a skilled shinobi, but as the girl's untrained eyes were those of a novice, it all seemed much more instantaneous.

"You scared me!" She said hitting gently against the crouching man's chest before being brought in for a hug as Ryuu gave a light chuckle.

"I told you not to go running off."

"I was just playing a game." She said with a pouty face as the embrace came to an end. Ryuu kept a hand on the side of his daughter's face as he looked into the sad eyes. The red, fleshy lids retracted back revealing eyes just as inhuman. His red eyes shown dark on balls that had the whites of them replaced with pools of black. "And you cheated!"

"I told you not to go running off. It's not safe here."

"Senpai, why are the trees here different than back home?" The wonder-eyed girl said looking up at the barren forest.

"A great tragedy struck this place." He said with as much a smile as he could muster.

"And that makes them dangerous?"

"Hm, no." Her innocence was something that he hadn't gotten used to yet. "It's more complicated than tha-" He suddenly stopped, a small twitch on his ear perceiving something that the girl could not. The crud attempt at a smile dropped from his face as he switched to a whisper. "Stay behind me."

What Ryuu had heard was the sound of someone running towards them. Standing up as he turned around, he kept one hand on his daughter as the other reached for the sword at his side, though never made contact. Instead his limb merely directed the blade that responded to his will. Unsheathing, the glowing white blade was suspend in air as it slashed out at neck-level with whoever it was that was approaching, stopping just as quickly as he was drawn though ready to strike should things prove hostile.
Creation is a Collaboration
[ Signature | Activity | Request Thread ]
Image
Poison on your lips
User avatar
Love
Lethe ::HUG::
Lethe ::HUG::
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:55 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by MankouZero » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:14 pm

The thoughts in Koumei's head were running faster than his feet, so it was no wonder that he was distracted from listening to the voices just ahead of him. The glowing blade that made to sever his head from his shoulders stopped the boy dead. Fortunately Koumei stumbled in panic soon enough for the sword to swish through air instead of literally stopping him dead where he was. Although the boy was already emotionally unstable, now he was a mental wreck. He was balled up on the ground, nothing more now than a quivering cowering mass at the mercy of whoever.

Koumei curses himself. He didn't count on there being danger so early on in the journey. For all he knew, he just walked into a bandit ambush. Uncontrollable fear ran through him heart, mind, and soul as he couldn't help but wonder if he was not about to be robbed, stripped, then drawn and quartered. Thus would be the legacy of Koumei of the Amikiri. He ran crying from his mother only to fall prey to bandits. The end.

"P-please don't kill me." The boy managed to spit out amidst open sobbing.

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist



Image
My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

User avatar
MankouZero
Member
Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by Love » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 pm

The hand Ryuu had on his daughter had lifted from the young girl's shoulder to her head, his fingers covering Hiro's eyes to prevent her from witnessing what he was about to do to save the child's innocence. The blade he was controlling froze, still held in front of where his arm was outstretched. It levitated motionless in the air above where the boy had curled up into a fetal-like position.

The floating blade softly drew itself back in closer to the one controlling it until it met with Ryuu's extended arm. Once gripped in a manner more befitting such a weapon, the white glow to the cold steel died off so that it was no different from a normal straight katana. The red-haired shinobi did not return the blade, but his stance became less offensive as he arm dropped to his side, and his other lifted off his daughter's face.

"I'm not going to kill you." He said with a stoic voice.

The little girl at Ryuu's side was much more concerned, though. Parting from her father, she approached a few steps further and crouched down near the boy, her head turned inquisitively to the side as she questioned him. "Why are you crying? Daddy didn't hurt you, did he?"
Creation is a Collaboration
[ Signature | Activity | Request Thread ]
Image
Poison on your lips
User avatar
Love
Lethe ::HUG::
Lethe ::HUG::
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:55 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by MankouZero » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:28 am

While Kounei very much heard the man say he would not kill him, he only began to imagine what else might be in store. Perhaps this wasn't a bandit but some shinobi spy looking for a foothold over a rival village? Koumei fell silent as his irrational fear overwhelmed him until something else came closer. Was it a dog? Too big.... and too human.
"Why are you crying?" The girl asked, which made Koumei confused at first. Crying? Why was he crying, indeed. If only his mother were there, she'd let him have it for being such a total coward instead of standing up to even a potential threat. A real pride of the Amikiri he was.

With an effort, and after stifling some dry heaves the boy sat up straight. A few deep breaths helped further in regaining some of his composure.
"My-my name is Koumei." He let slip after a moment. Koumei could sense the concern now from the girl and made to ease it. "He didn't hurt me. You j-just took me by surprise."
The boy forced out a nervous laugh, trying even harder to get his senses back.

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist



Image
My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

User avatar
MankouZero
Member
Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by Love » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:00 pm

"He's real good with surprises, I'm Yagami Hiro." The girl said with a sweet smile and a nodding bow of her head at the introduction. Ryuu, on the other hand, was not so apt to greetings. Instead, the sturdy man stood there looking off into the forest, his nostrils flaring as he took in some deliberate whiffs. His nose better than that of a bloodhound, but it wasn't scents he was searching for. "There was this one time, back at the Fire Temple that dadd--"

"That's enough, Hiro." Ryuu interrupted his daughter's impromptu story. He didn't want to teach his daughter to be as leering of the world as he was, but the experienced man had seen more than enough in his life to know how much of the world work. Trusting, he was not, and in her innocence Hiro had not only revealed their surname, but also where they were from. The girl gave a profound "huff", though didn't put up further struggle to continue on with her story. However, the pout was hardly resounding when compared with the sound of sliding steel from Ryuu sheathing his sword back to its place on his hip.

Turning his head back down to the stranger, Koumei, the Yagami man continued. "Don't count yourself too lucky. If that's how you respond to danger, you're going to get yourself killed." His voice, while deep and powerful, was also very monotonic in a matter-of-factual way. "Especially traveling alone, as you are." He had utter confidence in his superior sense of smell to be able to sniff out an ambush, and as he had returned his blade it was clear that, while he did not trust Koumei, he also did not see the boy as a threat.
Creation is a Collaboration
[ Signature | Activity | Request Thread ]
Image
Poison on your lips
User avatar
Love
Lethe ::HUG::
Lethe ::HUG::
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:55 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by MankouZero » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 am

Hiro. She seemed nice enough. The other guy, who he assumed is the one Hiro referred to as "daddy" before being interupted seemed to need some convincing. There was something about the man that struck Koumei. It wasn't curiosity and fear completely. Koumei did not like him at all to show his distrust so quickly. But the man, whoever he was did have a crucially good point. There was no way he could expect to live very long if he were to continue approaching danger as he just had. The tears were drying, but pride was what was most damaged. It didn't hurt as much though as Koumei was already fairly used to his pride being torn to shreds.
"It would be better to die than be where I was, anyway." He then said to try and throw off his cowerdice. The sniffing the man was doing made Koumei very curious of whether the guy was able to smell things like fear, excitement, fermiones, and whatnot. It was pretty obvious he could. But Koumei even wondered if the guy could literally sniff out a lie... yet, if he could it was no use trying. Trust needed to be gained with the strange man. Whatever way Koumei could do it, he knew his best option would be to travel with this man.
"It's not that I want to be on my own. I just didn't know anyone else who would go with me away from this place," Koumei continued to say. "...oddly enough." He then added with a glance at the signs of ruin surrounding them, so lit in the moonlight.

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist



Image
My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

User avatar
MankouZero
Member
Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by Love » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Ryuu shot the boy a look from his peripherals at the mention it being "better to die". Thinking like that was ignorant, which he knew from experience. However, he did not interject, nor even show much interest in Koumei's ordeal. Instead, the messy haired man started walking away, only calling back for his daughter to follow. "Come on, Hiro. We're leaving."

The flustered girl, still upset over being interrupted and even more so now at her father's rudeness stood up and turned on her heel to face her elder's back. Her concerned eyes moved from her father back to Koumei, offering the boy a reassuring smile as an idea popped into her small head. Ryuu had barely got a few steps away before she reached her arms out in a stretch and gave a big yawn. "Aww! I'm sooo tired." Even with her performance being obviously overplayed, it was legitimately well past her bedtime. Not that it meant much on the open road, but the stunt did elicit the intended effect. Ryuu stopped, rolling his eyes though never turning around.

"Let's at least get to a more defensible position." He said before turning in a different direction towards some of the stone ruins meshed into the marshlands. The smile on Hiro's face grew bigger in victory.

"Yay, can we make a fire?" She said skipping off as her fingers clenched the sleeve of her coat. She turned in her peppy step back towards Koumei and waved at him to follow. "Come with. It takes him awhile to warm up to people, but he doesn't bite." She giggled before continuing after her father.

Up ahead Ryuu was in the middle of a clearing. While upturned stone slabs had parted the forest, they hadn't completely claimed it. The ruins were older than the damage from the Bijuu, abandoned long before the prime of the Water Country and the forest had managed to take back some of the area before it was ravaged itself.
Creation is a Collaboration
[ Signature | Activity | Request Thread ]
Image
Poison on your lips
User avatar
Love
Lethe ::HUG::
Lethe ::HUG::
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:55 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by MankouZero » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:36 pm

The gesture Ryuu made did not hurt Koumei much, yet only because he couldn't be more hurt than he already was by now. He just stared as the man made off, content to just leave a coward to die in peace. Hiro had other plans though, it seemed. Her trust was far easily gained, albeit more for sympathy. Still, Koumei saw a little hope in the girl's kindness as leverage in getting the man to be his escort. It didn't have to be forever. Perhaps Koumei could even find a way to pay them back?

Keeping his mind in the present moment, Koumei nodded and followed after Hiro. Her open kindness was lovely, but Koumei knew better than to assume the man was at all open to the boy just following after them. He kept a comfortable distance from the girl so not to insight open wrath from her father.
"There's a lake not far from here. If you're both hungry, I could catch something to eat real quick." Koumei then thoughtfully mentioned as they neared the clearing. He wondered how long they would think he meant by "real quick" as he, by forced practice and habit, was an avid fisherman. This supposedly could be considered another gift his family gave him, making second thoughts about leaving seem a little less than impossible to stir around in his head...

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist



Image
My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

User avatar
MankouZero
Member
Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by Love » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:38 am

"Do as you will." Ryuu said not turning around.

Hiro, once more, was far more receptive. "Ow, that sounds good!" Her vision being brought towards Koumei after a slow spin showed her the sights of the ruins around them. However, she didn't stay fixed on him long before turning towards her father to ask permission. "Can I go with him?" She pleaded.

The only response he initially offered was the same sound that had signaled an end to danger prior. One had on his hip, the thumb of it popped open the sword that his other gripped onto instantly. The sound of the blade being removed and slashing without resistance echoed. In one clean sweep, Ryuu cleaved straight through a tree, making the clearing a little less crowded in an instant. However, it was not just a single slash that had resulted from the gesture. Though it took a second after his arm had stopped diagonally in the air, the wood seemed to simply topple from countless cuts separating a full size tree into nothing but logs of firewood.

"That depends, on how much you can guarantee her safety!" Ryuu pointed the sharp tip of his blade straight towards Koumei. The stunt with the tree foretold the consequences should Hiro return with a single hair on her head hurt, and if Koumei wasn't up for the responsibility it would be best for him to go alone, though Ryuu would not halt them further should his answer prove satisfactory.
Creation is a Collaboration
[ Signature | Activity | Request Thread ]
Image
Poison on your lips
User avatar
Love
Lethe ::HUG::
Lethe ::HUG::
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:55 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by MankouZero » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:41 am

A test. Koumei didn't like it, but it was still a chance to prove his worth and mettle. He couldn't just say no, it seemed. Koumei momentarily removed his pack, and unwrapped a single short sword and a fishing net. With just that amount of time, he decided as well as thought his words clearly. A last moment thought also decided how he would say it. Facing Ryuu, Koumei gently dropped to one knee, his sword in the dirt in front of him, and his head bowed.
"By my life or death, Hiro will return safely." He vowed, making sure not to dress his words and tone too much. This was serious, and although Koumei didn't like distrust he could come to an understanding of what a relationship at least should be between a parent and child.

In all honesty to himself though, Koumei knew he was emulating one of his favorite heros he read growing up. A rogue farmer turned samurai warrior extraordinaire vows to the governor his daughter will make the passage through the Bandit Gate to see the tomb of her mother, and by his "life or death" she would return safely. It might have been a poor choice, as the story in particular ends tragically... yet technically, the girl didn't die until she did infact return to her father unharmed.

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist



Image
My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

User avatar
MankouZero
Member
Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by Love » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:58 pm

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!" She joyfully shrieked with a hope. While it was Koumei's knelt pledge that had spurred on this exuberant response, it was Ryuu first that she was thanking for even entertaining the idea. The little girl ran over and hugged her father's leg. The towering swordsman, seemingly taller in comparison to his young daughter, was caught somewhat off guard by the gesture. Lowering his sword barring arm down, he returned the hug by cupping the back Hiro's head, his face against forcing what little smile it could as he looked down upon her matching red hair.

Parting from her father, she looked towards Koumei and thanked him with a more formal bow of her head. "And thank you."

Ryuu's head turned from his daughter to the Kiri-native before shifting back again. "Just hurry back."

"We will, I promise!" Hiro said as she gleefully hopped down the disheveled stones down to Koumei's level, letting him take to lead to this lake he knew of. She was so excited she would have run off straight for it, if it wasn't for the obvious fact that she knew nothing of the local terrain.

Ryuu tried not to show any worry, immediately planting his drawn blade vertically into the stone flooring before crouching down. He started throwing the chopped lumber into a pile to prepare the fire, though just before the two younglings were out of sight he looked up towards them.

"Thank you so much for agreeing to this! Daddy never lets me wonder off on my own…Well, I guess he still doesn't, but still." She gabbled, missing the fact that she was still being chaperoned. Still, it was more freedom than she had had since the pair had set out on the road, and while she didn't seem to have any lack of affection for her father, she was at the age when she wanted to start testing her independence.
Creation is a Collaboration
[ Signature | Activity | Request Thread ]
Image
Poison on your lips
User avatar
Love
Lethe ::HUG::
Lethe ::HUG::
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:55 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by MankouZero » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Koumei let out a "you're welcome" as he took to clearing the path well enough for the lady to pass alongside unhindered.
"I guess sometimes you need the right reasons just to be on your own." He then added as they made their way. The lake in reference was just on the other side of a nearby hill. "I remember the first time I was ever alone. I really didn't like it all, but it was necessary for me to live. This made it possible for me to better understand just why I had to be alone then; because it was for a good reason."

The top of the hill produced a view of a small, but notable lake. The moonlight reflection put a spotlight over the dancing clouds of fog, putting on a swirling ballet of nature.

"If the reason behind it wasn't good enough, nothing could have made being alone then better than how it felt." Koumei said continuing his thought, surprising himself at how wise he must have been coming off as with all this. Didn't make his point any less worthy to mention.

Koumei could see some briars in their way, so he took out his sword to commence weed wacking. The man did say to hurry.

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist



Image
My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

User avatar
MankouZero
Member
Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by Love » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:59 am

Hiro's pace was much less of a hurry following alongside Koumei as she walked with her hands cupped behind her. She wasn't falling behind, but her steps seemed more like a game, the rules of which were not well defined. Her knee-high sandaled feet moved between the various debris on the ground, turning twigs and pebbles into stepping stone like objects as she continued up the hill and towards the lake. "So are you alone now, like Daddy said?" The aloof girl didn't leave much space for a response before continuing on herself, though it was clear that Koumei had got her thinking. "I remember being alone. Back at the Temple I used to hide from the monks, like a game. But this one time I went into the old monastery, where we weren't supposed to, and the ground caved in. It was dark then, I didn't like it." Her hands had moved from behind her back to across her chest, each one clenching a side of her leathery coat and tugging on it to cover her tighter.

The old catacombs that she fell into had been abandoned for years. However, in her mind the girl knew she and seen things down there moving. What she didm know was that something inside of her had caused it. The spirits there were drawn to her, like they were her father, and was it not for Ryuu's sudden appearance there would be no telling what more would have come from it. "Daddy was the one that found me, like he knew I was in trouble. That's how I know he's always there to keep me safe."
Creation is a Collaboration
[ Signature | Activity | Request Thread ]
Image
Poison on your lips
User avatar
Love
Lethe ::HUG::
Lethe ::HUG::
 
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:55 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Just to Be on Your Own (open)

PostPosted by MankouZero » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:50 pm

"I suppose the right people also make those moments okay." Nodded Koumei, not minding the conversation at all. For someone so young, Hiro was quite talkative. Either way, Koumei didn't mind. "Lke in your case, it's especially nice to have a dad so close to you."

They cleared the briars and came to a path that they would have seen in the day. It would have been nice to know before putting so much effort into clearing the way to it. But, it was nice enough to have company to begin with, so Koumei didn't even make a sign of complaint.

"Even when they're far away, the right people don't really let go..." He began to say as they neared the water.

"Of course, it was much different for me the first time I was ever alone." Koumei then went on to tell. "It was a lake a lot larger than this one that my uncle threw me into, with weights tied to my ankles. And I know that might sound horrible to you, but for me it was necessary."
The boy set his things aside, removed his shirt, then took up his fishing net before stepping into the water. The gills on his torso opened full.
"See, the first time I was alone was like that because I had to learn how to breathe." He explained, hoping this wouldn't be alarming to the point where Hiro would scream.

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist



Image
My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

User avatar
MankouZero
Member
Member
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Next

Return to Kirigakure Ruins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron