The Girl Who Fell Through Time (Oddy)

The open land between civilization. Deserts, forests, volcanoes, canyons, rivers, rails. Have a good journey.

The Girl Who Fell Through Time (Oddy)

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:13 pm

She opened her eyes to peer through bangs of sapphire and slate blue, staring up in annoyance at the unfamiliar sights, breathing in the unfamiliar smells, listening to the unfamiliar sounds... for... was this the fifth time? The tenth?

A soft grumbling as she stood up from the forested floor, brushing herself off and wandering over to a nearby pond, peering into it, seeing one draconic sapphire eye and one normal teal eye staring back at her, patches of sapphire scales visible on her skin and her canines far more pronounced than any human's should be. Clawed, patchily scaled, human hands lightly tapped against her thigh as her tail slowly swished and she sighed.

Dokutoru? Answer me already. You'd better have been keeping that tag with you! Or have properly synched it!

Wherever the tag was, it would be glowing and vibrating if not in contact with the man, giving off a low hum; and if he ever picked it up he'd be hearing her voice in his head.

For now, all she could do was wait, and hope the world didn't vanish around her yet again. Or that nothing found her. She'd already scared quite a few people of quite a few dialects, languages, dress, cultures, and probably even species as she blipped uncontrollably through time and space.
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

Re: The Girl Who Fell Through Time (Oddy)

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Unknown to Omoi, Dokutoru was well aware of her distress signal. After their last meeting, one of the first things he did was properly sync Omoi's tag with his time stream. He was positive that it had been successful. Of course, he never got around to testing it. It's not that there was a problem with it, per say, but it was quite prone to... glitches.

"Omoi!" Dokutoru popped out of the TASAM, which was once again disguised as a large white plant pod, one of its petals extended to provide the man a sort of staircase.

"What the bloody-" An older man turned from sweeping dirt from the porch of his small store.

Bright sunlight in his face, Dokutoru rose one hand to block it. "Oh. Uh... have you seen a woman? About yea big? Blue hair?" The old man, mouth agape, shook his head with an expression that nearly screamed profanities. "Actually, she could be a dragon. Have you seen a dragon? Maybe even a half-dragon?"

"Son, get off my damn property." The elderly man tilted his head to the glowing orange light from within the TASAM. "What..."

"Right. Okay. Sorry." Backtracking, Dokutoru suddenly spun on his heel and darted back into his ship. The petal closed upon his entrance.

Leaping up the stairs, Dokutoru flung levers and ran his fingers across the dashboard. The seal he had modified was brought up to his head, close by his ear, as if it was a sort of phone. In truth, he just needed to be in close proximity to it to 'understand' whatever message Omoi was sending. But this helped him concentrate. The messages she was sending out were... well thinking about the seal as phone, the connection was bad. It was static-y.

"What the hell are you doing, Omoi?!" Dokutoru shouted. Omoi wouldn't be able to hear him, but he felt the need to shout. "Stay still! The seal can't be malfunctional. I reworked it!" The confident man swung a final lever, new coordinates in his head and in the TASAM's system, hurling the ship into the time vortex.

Landing again, Dokutoru hurtled over the railing and out the door that opened upon his command. Jumping through the door and skipping right over the open petal of the plant pod-disguised TASAM, Dokutoru slipped on the mud from a nearby pond, catching himself on a tree before having to change his entire wardrobe. "Omoi!" The connection was bad, so it was likely he hadn't landed as close to Omoi as he could have. All he could do was shout and hope she didn't move again.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:15 pm

Slow breathing, keeping calm as best she could, gaze slowly shifting over her surroundings....

Her head snapped in the direction of a faint voice, listening, sniffing at the air.

"DOKUTORU!"

Her voice was near a roar as she called out her response, tail swishing--

She didn't know how long she would be stable, how long she could manage to stay put, how long it would be before she grew dizzy again and everything went dark.

Make it to me in time, dammit! I don't know when I'll start falling again!
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:55 am

Gripping the fabric that held the seal, Dokutoru turned about on his heel. "Omoi!" He knew the young woman was in danger. If he couldn't get a consistent lock on her coordinates, he would be playing this game forever. One of Dokutoru's biggest fears was losing the people who mattered to him. If Omoi's last call for help was to Dokutoru and he couldn't help her... the time lord would never forgive himself.

An unmistakable roar grabbed the man's attention. "Omoi!" He responded, darting in the direction he heard the familiar noise. Jumping over an extending root, ducking under a few branches, Dokutoru traversed through the swamp-y land. "Hold on! Don't move!" Though at this point, the man was positive that she had no control over her Schrödinger-esque state.

"Thank the Lords!" He said. Dokutoru came to a stop by Omoi's side, her appearance was less-than-calm. "Omoi, what's going on? What's happened?" The man rose the fabric with one hand to show her he had indeed been tracking her, while his other hand gripped her shoulder.

"We need to get you to the TASAM." Dokutoru didn't want to freak her out or waste anytime. He some hypothesizes on what was happening to her. Though the last thing he wanted to tell her was she was moving through time more fluidly and chaotically than the TASAM. And that was saying something.

"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:43 pm

"Oh, just... delayed sideffects. Genetic instability. Time-space distortion."

A clawed hand came to rest atop his on her shoulder, her tail swishing, very much shaken... and a little relieved at not being alone, however long that would last. Her mismatched eyes met his.

"Why didn't you answer? The seal's supposed to be for two-way communication! Not just so that I'm the only one talking and can't even tell if you're able to hear me."

And still her feet weren't moving, even when he talked about getting her to the TASAM. It seemed she was incredibly against the thought of even taking a single step, her body tense.

"Every time I try to move, I end up falling, and I'm somewhere else. And somewhen else. I've been able to tell, able to feel it. Like I did before. But... even if I don't move, it'll still happen. Just maybe not as quickly. I'm scared, Dokutoru." The admission was a rare one, and her hand was tightening on his. "What if I end up like Medusa? But just... lost, always moving. Adrift in time and space, with no control over it at all."
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:03 am

"Side effects?" Dokutoru spat. At that moment he retracted his hand from Omoi's shoulder. He hadn't told Omoi, but the time lord had locked paradox energy within himself. He was a bit cautious when dealing with things of an unstable nature, lest the energy he contained become free. "Genetic instability? Omoi, what do you mean?" There was only one person he could think of that would be assist, though Dokutoru didn't want to have to pull her into this mess.

He stuttered a bit on his words when Omoi asked about the nature of the seal. Dokutoru felt as if he should have spent more time working on the seal, as the situation could have ended up a lot worse. "I was getting bad reception on my end. The seal couldn't keep up with the influx of time energy it was getting, you were moving around too much." Dokutoru admitted. "I didn't modify the seal to deal with that."

Dokutoru felt a twinge of guilt when Omoi mentioned Medusa, for two reasons. Omoi had reacted more to Medusa's death than Dokutoru thought she would have. Lost and alone and afraid in an unknown place, she didn't know any better and Dokutoru had to exterminate her. Omoi had resonated with that, and Dokutoru pitied her. The second reason, Dokutoru had nearly left Omoi for dead when they went to hunt down Medusa. If something happened to Omoi and it was Dokutoru's fault... well he wouldn't know what to do with himself. And it was happening right before his eyes.

"We have to get you to the TASAM so we can figure out what's going on. If we can just get you there maybe I can find a way for the old girl to stabilize you so you'll stop jumping, and then we can work on you." Dokutoru bit his thumb, looking over the dragonness. "I can bring the TASAM closer to you, how long are you going to be able to hold?" Even now they were wasting time. "If I lose you again, I might not be able to track you down as quickly. It puts a strain on the TASAM."

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:15 am

"What do I mean by genetic instability? Do you think I look half-you on purpose?" She cast her eyes down, letting the flare of frustration pass, already regretting her words. "I... I'm sorry. It's not your fault. Neither of us could have seen it coming."

She ran a hand through her two-toned hair then, tail swishing, before looking back to him. "I... I don't know how long I'll be able to stay here. At one point. I really--" She froze then as a wave of dizziness hit her, her eyes widening as she reached towards him--

--and then she saw only darkness.

Harsh sunlight met her eyes when next she opened them, hot sand all around, the sky a clear, clear blue, and Omoi slowly pushed herself into a sitting position, her shoulders slumping at her reclaimed solitude.

Ha... hahaha.... I miss you already.

Her mental voice was broken despite the half-hearted joke and laughter as she just hugged her knees to her chest, gazing out at the desert.

"There's got to be something... right?"
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:48 am

He frowned. He wasn't going to bring up the fact that she looked be reverting to a Kouinjoutei form again. She already knew. Well, it was less explaining he had to do.

"Maybe not, but I should have made precautions." He said. After what had happened last time they met, Dokutoru should have looked more into what had happened to Omoi. More than that, he should have talked to his friend who knew more than a thing or two about genetics. With the way things were heading, he might have to go fetch her.

"Take it easy. Just--" He slipped on his own words, a hand darting out to grab her own. She left too quickly. Gone in the blink of an eye; a familiar remnant of time energy was all she left him with.

"Omoi?" The man spun around. "Omoi! Omoi!!" Only an echo returned to him. "Damn it!"

Back the way he came, Dokutoru snapped his fingers meters from the TASAM so she would unfold its petal and allow him entrance. "Okay, let's do this quick this time." He muttered. Seal in hand, Dokutoru set the coordinates in the TASAM like a child playing piano for the first time.

The petal of the large plant pod-disguised TASAM opened up again. This time onto the hot fine grains of what Dokutoru assumed was the Wind Country.

Popping out, Omoi was a bit closer than she was last time. Just a couple sand dunes away. "Omoi! Omoi!" He called out, not bothering to close the TASAM as he stumbled down one dune and made his way up another. "All right, we need a plan! A proper plan!" He wasn't wasting a single moment, screaming to the girl as he made his way up another dune to her. "We need something to stabilize you! Whatever is happening to your genetics, it's no doubt that the instability from the Kouinjoutei DNA still in you is causing it... well... release time energy." A few meters from the girl now, he took a couple gulps of hot air. "There are bigger problems with that than just popping in and out of existence." He flicked his fingers against his thumb for emphasis. "Your body can't keep doing this forever, it's going to drain you. Just like some of the first Kouinjoutei who came to be. Not only that... but you're damaging the fabric of reality. Poking little pin holes in it faster than it can heal up." He said solemnly. He didn't know the full implications of this, but it certainly added to the urgency of the situation.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Omoi glanced up quietly as he approached, her skin showing a bit of sunburn; it had probably been longer than he intended, as she'd had time to calm down and push away her earlier panic, not once moving from her patch of sand.

"Holes in the fabric of reality... lovely."

The half-dragoness half-Kouinjoutei sighed.

"What's worse, there shouldn't have been any Kouinjoutei DNA left in me, and I certainly haven't touched it since. So what does that leave...? Some sort of time shenanigans? Bah."

Her eyes closed for a moment... before she looked up at him again, quietly.

"I... might have an idea, though I don't much like it. I doubt you'd like it, either. But it's the best I've managed to come up with in...." She glanced up at the sky, frowning a moment. "...four hours, twenty minutes, and... two seconds, now, unless my internal clocks are off." She lightly tapped her chest where two hearts pulsed away, giving him a wry smile, a few more slate blue bangs falling over her eyes than the last time they had met.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Dokutoru shrugged at her less-than-enthusiastic response. It was what it was. It more than just a matter of helping Omoi from whatever predicament she was in, it was about keeping the universe in order. He didn't what to have to deal with the aftermath of a weakening of the scaffold of the universe.

"To be honest..." He thinned his lips and shook his head, hands on his hips. "I have no idea. I was hoping you'd have some awareness of any genetic hiccup. If you really did clean any Kouinjoutei DNA from you... I don't know why this is happening to you." He pointed to the sand that Omoi stood on. "This, this is time shenanigans. What's causing them is the question."

Chasing Omoi through time and space in his TASAM had been exhausting. Shenanigans was the appropriate term. It wasn't all bad, though. He was used to high energy adventuring. He often felt like he was being pulled in three directions at once. It was normal.

He tilted his head, glancing at her chest as she tapped it. He could assume she currently had two hearts. "What do you mean, Omoi? Four hours, twenty minutes and two seconds until... what?? Well, nineteen minutes and fifty seconds now. Forty-nine." Shaking his head, he stopped himself from counting down.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Omoi sighed softly.

"I'm not counting down, Dokutoru. That's how long I've been sitting in this desert, since I fell from the forest where I last saw you. Though I don't know how long it's been for you. I'm kind of surprised I've managed to stay put for this long, though."

She glanced down at her lap then, picking up a small blue crystal that looked much like a roughly-hewn sapphire, turning it this way and that in the light... before she stood, brushing herself off, the crystal held tightly in one of her hands.

"...the TASAM could eat the time energy right out of me if she tried, right? What do you think would happen if she did?"

Her mismatched eyes turned to meet his then, calm and focused, her tail slowly swishing behind her.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 am

"You've been--" He gasped, his mouth dropping for a moment before collecting himself and continuing. "You've been here for over four hours?" Hand blocking the top part of his vision, he looked to the sun. It was already getting hot for the time lord, he couldn't imagine how miserable Omoi had been just sitting here.

"I can't go back in time to scoop you up and stop you from sitting here for so long." Omoi didn't ask the question, Dokutoru was sort of just rambling. But he was sure it had crossed her mind. "Your future has been determined. If I went back and got you, I never would have spoken to you in the first place so I would know that I had to get you." He sighed, slumping his shoulders as he looked back to Omoi. "This whole business is tricky. I'm sorry."

Dokutoru took a step back, weary of what would happen if Omoi moved too much. He couldn't tell if she was worried too. Luckily, she didn't disappear before his eyes again.

Furrowing his brow, Dokutoru's face changed to one of confusion. Eat her time energy? "Oh, I don't know, Omoi. I suppose she certainly could." He bit this thumb, putting pressure down a couple times before using the same hand to swirl the hot air in front of him. "Taking out all of that energy from you could be dangerous. It's your body that's generating it. I think its going to keep making time energy until... well... until your body is no longer able to. By sucking it all out of your prematurely, you may very well die." His tone had been serious since the get-go, as opposed to his more child-ish nature.

"We need to either put a cork on the time pipe that has burst within you, alter your genetics, or give you a way to properly store all that time energy. Your body can't in its current state so..." His voice trailed, looking at the new slate blue strands that have formed in Omoi's hair. "...So your body is turning you more and more Kouinjoutei as a defensive mechanism! Isn't it? That's what it's doing!" He pointed at her blue hair, laughing. "Your body is using my DNA as a way to combat this... time virus, time burst, time whatever! If you can turn totally Kouinjoutei it would fix the problem temporarily, at least enough so you won't go warping around all over reality. You'll be stable so we can properly seal the 'leak'." It started to make sense to the time lord, or at the very least his hypothesis seemed well supported.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:36 pm

She cracked a small smile as to why he couldn't go back and get her before she had sat here for so long; he worried too much. Even with the heat, it had given her time to think. To sort out her thoughts. To come up with a plan.

And removing all of the time energy would apparently do exactly what she expected it would.

But... could his idea work? Could becoming a Kouinjoutei again really solve the problem?

She met his gaze, spreading her hands out to either side, still clutching the crystal in one hand, though her other went open-palmed.

"Dokutoru... if I turn fully Kouinjoutei again... how would you suggest I go back to being myself this time? To being a dragon? Because the way we did things last time obviously had side-effects, and I can't think of any other way to do it."

Was there a way? Somehow?

But before she could get his answer... she vanished again, the desert and him twisting and slipping from her vision into blinding light, and she flinched, instinctively shielding her eyes, closing them tightly--

And then the light was gone, and she opened her eyes again....

The ruins she stood in were dark and dirty and crumbling and thick with black fog, and there was a crater before her that she remembered all too well. Her panic only rose as she whipped around, looking left and right.

"Kumo.... No.... No no no. Dokutoru--"

DON'T FOLLOW ME! NOT HERE! PLEASE-- The panic rose in her thoughts, sent across the link of the seal, desperate and quick.

If he came... he'd be exposed to the miasma. It'd infect his chakra... and who knew what it would do to him in regards to regeneration if he was weak to it.

She could already feel it closing in around her; she was unstable, it could take advantage of that.

Her former home had become a death trap, and dark creatures were already gathering for a rare meal.

Omoi clutched the crystal in her hand tightly and darted forward, willing the slip this time, seeking it--

--and she was blinded again before she slipped on sand, crashing into Dokutoru so that they both tumbled into the TASAM and she was staggering upright and away from him just as quickly, clutching the crystal in her hand for dear life as she began pacing, channelling her panic into sheer focus as her mind raced, the crystal beginning to glow.

"Change of plans, that time I landed in Kumo as it is now. So... I'm infected anyway. Time is of the essence." A brief, dry smile on her lips. "I can feel the regeneration coming, but the other part's going just as fast.... So I'm going to need you to have faith in me."

She stopped then, gazing at him quietly.

"...the TASAM can handle regeneration, right? Along with the time energy? And I'm trying to isolate the miasma right now, but... I'm hoping the regeneration energy will eliminate it. If not, you'll need some way to contain or eliminate it."

She probably wasn't making much sense anymore, but she couldn't bear to tell him the short version of what was about to happen.

She was about to let herself die, and the regeneration wouldn't help prevent it in the slightest.
Raika

PostPosted by Oddric » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:00 am

Dokutoru shook his head, a look of sadness and guilt on his face. "Oh Omoi... I don't know. It's likely that the change could be permanent." It pained him to say it, but he had to be brutally honest. If her life and the stability of the universe weren't at stake, he would have sugar coated it. "But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, okay? We'll find a way. I'll find a way to bring you back to normal. I swear."

Every moment they had been together, every moment where Dokutoru's presence in her life could have affected her, those memories raced through the time lord's head. He analyzed each second, wondering where something could have wrong. How she could have such a time-born issue. Was it her own doing? Changing back to her old self from being a Kouinjoutei? Had she damaged something? Was it something else, something that had been in her even before the change? Dokutoru looked for where he was at fault, as if it couldn't have been anything else, anyone else. He felt responsible for this.

"No! Omoi!!" Throwing his arms to the ground, wind ejected from his pores and splashed up sand, creating small pockets in the dune below.

Turning on his heel, Dokutoru raced to the TASAM. All he could think about was how long Omoi would be waiting this time. Four hours? Longer? How long? What if she waited out the rest of her natural life with Dokutoru jumping to find her? The thought crossed his mind, and Dokutoru thought the unthinkable. He'd rewrite history, cause a paradox, and cross Omoi's time stream to go into the past to pick her up. He had to. He'd cause a paradox to save her, it was his fault. He wouldn't just--

"Oof!" Falling against the metal grating of the TASAM floor, Dokutoru pushed the mass off of him in panic. "Omoi! Omoi!" He laughed, hands on her arms as he pulled her up. Before he could say anything else, she explained the situation.

Mouth dropping, Dokutoru glanced left and right. "R-regeneration? Omoi--" He stuttered, remembering what state Kumogakure was in. Black Death had properly infected it, and it had gotten to Omoi, too.

"Yes... yes regeneration should heal you. Well, it'll kill every cell in your body and then remake them. So, the miasma should be gone." Should be, anyway. The plague-like disease infecting Kumo was dangerous. Dokutoru had been infected by a paradox, and regenerating hadn't cured him. It was a bit of a different disease than a classical one, but regeneration wasn't always a "cure all".

"It might even seal you up, I hope. It should make your body able to handle the time leak so you won't go zipping about all of time and space. Long enough so we can find a fix. And we will." He would. Dokutoru would fix her. Or die trying. "Just..." He let his shoulders fall, his hands slighting along her arms until she clasped his hands in hers. "Let it take you over. Let it go." Unclasping, his arms fell to his side as he took a step back.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 pm

If she became a Kouinjoutei again, the change could be permanent. She would no longer have the body of a dragon, maybe not even the mind of one, only the soul. She would no longer be sapphire. She would naturally age so slowly, maybe travel with Dokutoru the rest of her life, but... the time lord would be the only one who stayed. If he didn't run out of lives himself. Everyone else... would have so little time, and she would spend so little with them....

She would be able to travel all of time and space, but she would lose everything important to her.

And so she caught his hand as he stepped back, pulled him in closer, placed a light kiss on his forehead.

"...I am a dragon. I can't just let that go."

She gave him a small smile before pressing the glowing crystal into his hand, taking a slow breath before meeting his gaze.

"...treasure this as much as you treasure my life. Make sure you don't lose it. And have faith. Everything will turn out alright."

Her body was starting to glow orange, and she both pushed him back and leapt back herself, her body vanishing into orange energy--before only dust fell, a delayed Souton technique ripping the new body apart before it could fully form, disintegrated in an instant.

All that she left him was a pile of dust that quickly vanished and the small glowing crystal resembling an unhewn sapphire.
Raika

Next

Return to Rails, Roadways, and Waterways