Lately, I've been losing sleep...

[ \The Meeting House | Kumonohora | The Heart of the Chiroptera/ ]
The reclusive fort housing the survivors of Kumogakure no Sato's destruction, located in the center of Chiroptera Forest whose dangers and local superstitions provide a natural barrier to the rest of the world. Nestled in the roots of one of the ancient trees, the people here are learning to survive alongside the ancient forest, the local Koumori serving to help things along. However, carefully hidden away underneath the fort the shinobi way of life continues on in the shadows in Kumonohora....

Lately, I've been losing sleep...

PostPosted by MankouZero » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:02 am

"...take that money, watch it burn~
Sing in the river, the lessons I learned~"

The musical alarm had reached a level of audio harassment as the same words were repeated over and over, finally getting Moe to disengage it.

She was already wide awake, though. The girl was just late to stop the alarm because she was busy with her headphones. Moe was cleaning the floor... at four in the morning.

The sun was going to rise in a couple hours, and Chuunin Senkou Moe was not about to let a dirty apartment make her late with meeting her students. She could just cry, but that would also take up a lot of time.

Students. Moe pondered reflectively; how long ago again was it since she was one herself?

It was two years since she passed her exam with flying colors, the envy of her graduating class. This passed year, Moe completely mastered the wind element as well as fire previously. She had also gotten a hang of using her Poi weapons, implementing both elements within her combat moves. She still was improving, so perhaps she was still a student, just more of a student of life now than a school student.

Saying good bye to her first team was rough. The memory itself nearly produced a waterworks show. Moe's face scrunched as she held her tears back. She still needed to rub her pinky to wipe what liquid still drained from her eyes.

"Not now, Moe! Good golly gracious!" she shouted at herself. After all, she still had to make breakfast.

Some salad, some saury fish, and-hey!- why not have an onigiri, too? Just one for now and save the other for lunch, as Moe always did so.

With the morning meal out of the way, nothing more than to get the morning jog out of the way too. Not, of course, without the paperwork Moe was supposed to hand in that morning as well. A cleverly positioned note was a timely reminder to the girl, smiling at the results of her proper prior planning.

With the door closed and locked behind her, Moe felt all the more anxious to see how determined her three rascals were going to be. She only glanced over the names and photo IDs so as to keep their everything else a (hopefully) pleasant surprise.
Last edited by MankouZero on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profiles | Role Play Request | the Way of the Artist

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors
For words I have yet to find

MankouZero

Are You Feelin' that Pull...?

PostPosted by MankouZero » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:38 am

"Look how bright the sun is! It's going to be a good day." said Jesheru as he rushed to get his clothes and shinobi gear on.
He had slept through his alarm for over half an hour, and no longer had time to eat breakfast without risk of being late. That wasn't going to get him down, though. No sir-ee. Jesheru just promised himself a large lunch to make up for the time-priority induced fasting he now had to commit to.

"It's good to be a ninja!" said Jesheru in the open air. And for the most part, who would disagree with him? Village shinobi were given many things that typically only adults would get for themselves, out of their own pocket. Good living conditions, three squares a day, a steady salary, and friends to share it with; all on the government dime.

The trade offs were dealing with the weight of responsibility within a chain of command, the more military like way of life, much less free time, and most notably the fact that every shinobi in some way had to put life and limb on the line for Kage and country. Death surrounds the job, and by all means is the job of being a shinobi.

That did nothing to bring Jesheru's spirits down. How better off could he be, knowing that he was being put on the same team as Joy chan? She was the kid's crush since the first day of academy. Her mere presence still makes Jesheru trip on his words and do other embarrassing things. That and she is a year older. To top it all off, Joy also was technically not even human but a dragon shapeshifter. Who cares? Jesheru sure didn't. All he saw was a human looking girl, and he was a human looking guy. He couldn't help but let his inner grown up run wild with emotion and lengthy infatuation toward the one girl he was now more than determined to get together with.

The kid's head was swimming in passion clouds, so much he forgot to keep an eye on where his feet were going... along with his whole body. Jesheru walked foot first into an ox cart wheel, catching on it and falling on his face as he tried to steady himself.

The ox driver, and other passersby paused to turn a concerned look to the kid. The stunt clearly hurt. Jesheru let out a grunt as he got up, brushing the dirt from his clothes.
"I'm okay!! he assured everyone, loudly. They all shook their heads and went on their way just as Jesheru continued to the meeting place. He could hardly believe this would be the last time they all would have to meet at the academy classroom. They would finally meet Moe sensei, whoever she was. Such an exciting day, indeed.

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

All my life...

PostPosted by MankouZero » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 am

"Curse all the elders of the world!!" Joy screamed into her pillow. This was pretty close to how she reacted to the alarm that woke the dragoness up for her first day of the academy. "And curse this silly language, while you're at it."

Things were tough for a Ryuujin like Joy. She had grown so accustomed to Ryuuguu as a child only to be snatched away to Kumogakure by the whim of the Elder Dragon council. Times like this where she was on her own were the typical times she verbally let out her frustration. No need to go into a complaining fit during class to make her seem weak.

The sun was giving warning of rising within the half hour. It was cloudy, but one whiff of the air could tell Joy's honed olfactory system that it was going to swiftly clear up later on. The perks of being something other than human. The common language lessons always put her to sleep, if not just frustrated her beyond relief. It was the vowels that gave her trouble. Since she had never dreamed of living with humans, Joy never put too much stock into practicing. She quickly learned in her first few months in academy class. This was because her classmates for the most part were quick to pick on her for her bad pronunciation. The first year she spent in the academy she did so under the nickname of Jabbers for that very reason.

Joy had no problems being in the same team with Jesheru and Kyouichi. Jesheru was one of the few who never made fun of her, and even spoke in her defense from time to time. He was a fine boy, and even a little cute. He just wasn't Joy's type being that he simply wasn't a Ryuujin. Still, the kid did find what ever way to brighten up everyone's day. That was another thing against him though, as in this case, Joy's personality felt like a polar opposite compared to the immensely positive ionic charge in Jesheru's.

Kyouichi was cool because he was almost as less human as she was. That and he was just so chill. Joy wondered if the guy was even awake at this hour, or would even bother to be in the following. It would be funny to see him get yelled at for being late, just like the countless times in the academy.

Joy finished her whole chicken (her typical breakfast) smiling at a thought. She was one step away now to becoming Jounin, and being able to make her own decisions. One day, she would get herself assigned to the outpost closest to Ryuuguu. Then she would meet the dragon of her dreams, and move on from this human fiasco called the Village hidden in the Clouds.

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

Oh, yeah! Life goes on...

PostPosted by MankouZero » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Some sort of stench lurked it's way through the air.

It was within the black confines of a straw hut in the wooded area outside the village.

Something was burning... and it wasn't herbs. Agitation like this would not do well at all for Kyouichi. His rest was essential if he was going to have any hope at all of getting to the academy class on time to meet Moe sensei and the other two on his team.

"Fukurou kun. Is that you?" said Kyouichi, loath to even open his eyes.

The silence was answer enough.

"Dude. I keep telling you, man..." the Koumori tried to continue, so tired and afflicted from substance abuse the night before that he had trouble mid sentence remembering what he was even going to say. "What do I keep telling you?"

The question was laughable, as Kyouichi really had forgotten what it was that his younger brother had been doing which was such a consistent annoyance on more than one occasion. The continued silence was not bringing anything to mind. So, Kyouichi got is sloth bum out of his bed to actually look at what Fukurou was doing so he could better chastise him... and try not to be a dick about it, too. The kid was family after all.
"Those are hops, Fukurou kun. They aren't the stuff you smoke. It's used for other things." explained the esteemed genin to the other creature huddled in his own bed. A pipe was in his mouth, and a bag with the words "Special Stuff" written on it next to the kid.

"No wonder. This stuff always makes my ear drums burn." observed Fukurou. It was kind of funny to see the look on the kid's face, and a wonder why he just kept on smoking what clearly wasn't smoking herbs. "Special Stuff throws me off. Why do label it like that?"

"Well, bro dude, that is because I get those special hops imported from the Rice Country. Makes one fine brew. I was gonna ask you to join me and the pops next weekend in making some. You used a lot of the special stuff, though. Won't make much, now."

Fukurou threw his pipe to the ground, disappointed in himself from this news.

"Ah. Don't sweat it, bro. I can always get more." Kyouichi said with an assuring slap to the shoulder. A nagging feeling suddenly came as Kyouichi noticed something strange.
"Hey, was I supposed to do something today?"

Fukurou shrugged.

Kyouichi continued to deduce out loud. He remembered enough about the night before to know they were all celebrating something. If he was meant to help clean up, he would probably have known it from Fukurou first, as the kid liked to rub such things in his older brother's face. The family ritual day wasn't for another week, the very thing the special hops brew was to be for.

"My alarm clock is out. I only take it out when I need to wake up for something." Kyouichi said with a finger to his chin.

"Why didn't you set it? It's useless just sitting there." came the no-brainer from Fukurou. To this, Kyouichi gave his typical excuse.
"Inner peace, bro dude. Inner peace."

The mere act of fussing over setting an alarm as well as doing so to sound one awake were both things effort had to be put into. These were the exact things that Kyouichi saw as interrupting his inner peace, throwing off his groove, too much work for him to want to deal with. Thus is the mind set of dear Koumori Kyouichi.

A gust of wind flew open the leather door, exposing the dark to the harsh morning light. Kyouichi first gave the sort of reaction expected of most Koumori in response to light. After cringing and grunting, it partially dawned on the dude (just about literally).
"Aw, dude. Is it sun-up already?"
Kyouichi gave a wave of his hand to Fukurou as he donned his protective glasses.
"I gotta go, man. Got some shinobi stuff to do today. Something about meeting up with my first team and sensei. Here's hoping she's not a dick!"

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

Dreamin' about the things...

PostPosted by MankouZero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:04 am

Apartment, clean.

Breakfast, eaten.

Jog, got around five miles in.

"Sorry, Toku chan. I have to meet my students right now. I'll chat with you later, though!"

Chat with Toku chan, pending.

"Here's my report summary for last month, Kohei sama. Make sure Kage Soratodai gets it soon. I want to be able to keep my new team busy. Thanks a bunch!"

Paperwork, well out of the way.

"...and Team 2 will be led by Senkou Moe."

Check in time, punctual as always.

"Good morning, students!" Moe let out, encouraged to see excited faces for the most part. She called her three rascals up one at a time, repeating the last one over and over again.
"Koumori Kyouichi... Koumori Kyouichi... Koumori Kyouichi? Is he ill?"
The academy teacher rubbed the back of his neck. Kenji sensei's face displayed a flat answer.

Clone technique drills were in order for the ones waiting. Moe talked a while with Kenji sensei over typical Chuunin things-i.e. quarterly quirks, Jounin "jump" seminars, salary comparisons, even some talk over old times with their old academy class and prior teams. Ranryuu Kenji was in the former Team 2 before passing his Chuunin exam, one of the few to accomplish such the same time Moe did.

"Kyouichi kun is sure going to get it." Joy said to Jesheru as they continued their drills. The sudden attention he got from his crush made him fumble his hand seals. Moe's eyes were drawn to Jesheru's mistake, yet she took further note of something else that was off. She decided to hold off for now though. That was, until she noticed the same thing was missing on Kyouichi as he strolled into the training yard.

"Koumori Kyouichi? inquired Moe. Upon answering, she quickly followed up by saying "drop." Kyouichi blinked in confusion as to what she meant. "As in drop to your hands, and start doing push ups. With me in charge, you are all going to be either punctual or strong enough to stand a chance on your own in the battle field."
"I think you have things settled from here." said Kenji sensei as he bowed and went back to the classroom.

"Total dick." remarked Kyouichi as he dropped down and gave the sorriest push-ups ever. His longer brown hair and loose clothing were no help. Neither were his Koumori genes, as they were never revered for their physical strength. A particular off color, racist joke about Koumori is "How many Koumori does it take to cut a tree down?" The answer was a whole village, both in the joke and reality. Moe found Kyouichi's comment quite off color, however.

"Excuse me? Do you want to see what's between my legs? I'm sure you won't find a dick there, so choose your words more carefully. You might spend less time in the dirt that way!"

Moe caught a smirk on the kid's face at the reference to genitalia.

"Oh, and dream on. Maybe if you were five years older and ten times the man you are would that happen anyway. See how it helps to be on time? Hahahaha!"

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

...that we could be

PostPosted by MankouZero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Moe felt her emotions bubbling up as she saw the continued attempts from Kyouichi to do even one good push-up.

"I can't be so rough on him-"
"Good golly, Moe! Keep it together! You remember how rough Koshi sensei was on you, and now look where you are?"

Moe's face almost reflected her inner conflict, which faded as she remembered something.

"Jesheru. Where's your-" whispered Joy, yet Moe sensei beat her to the punch.

"You better drop, too, Jesheru."

"Yes ma'am! Right away ma'am!" shouted the teen, dropping with as much proficiency as he could. Moe raised an eyebrow.

"Is that the encouraging sound of enthusiasm? As long as you're not being sarcastic with me, I think I like you Jesheru. The problem is you forgot something very important." she said before looking to Joy. "Maybe you noticed what is missing on both the others?"

"Well," Joy began with little sympathy for the others. "I see I'm the only one with their shinobi band."
She showed off her headband, which fit right in somehow with her green hair and eyes.

"Yep. When we're working with teams who aren't familiar with you, how are they supposed to guess you're a Kumogakure ninja without your headband? They would ignore you, or just kill you most likely. You'd only be in the way of those in proper uniform. Even my flack jacket is more than hot fashion."
After a long giggle from talk of hot fashion, Moe sensei continued with more words on bearing the symbol of Kumogakure proudly. From Jounin to academy students, all are a direct representation of those above them, and how Kyouichi and Jesheru were not only making Kenji look bad, but all the faculty, and up and up to the Raikage. Speaking of the devil, Raikage Soratodai came strolling by looking considerably concerned toward Jesheru for some reason. While Moe tried to put her finger on it, Kenji appeared along side to help her out.

"Moe chan. You know that's the Raikage's nephew, right?"

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

Re: Lately, I've been losing sleep...

PostPosted by MankouZero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:04 pm

"What? Really? said Moe, worried. She let out many "oh noes" as Kenji nodded.
"I think it's fine, since you had good reason to discipline him. Just be a little more mindful, alright?" He said, trying to assure Moe before she started crying about it.

Too late. She already was on her knees before Raikage Sorotadai Adamu. Her hands were together looking like she was pleading for her life.

"Raikage Sempai! Please forgive me for being hard on Jesheru!"

On and on she went, while Adamu remained calm, composed, and contemplative. Jesheru was putting his all into his punishment, and was still so determined not be troubled by the death of his father. The Raikage reflected how much Kairebu's death affected himself. It was a touchy subject within the whole village who knew the late ANBU operative who sacrificed himself for the good of the team, and the mission at hand. Kairebu died the way all shinobi should be envious of. Yet his death was not nearly as high in regard to Soratodai Adamu as how his younger brother lived.

Keeping his reflection to himself for now, the Raikage departed in silence. It was a moment before Moe noticed he had left. She dried her tears, and turned the sensei switch back on as she noticed Kyouichi had stopped. He mumbled and groaned spitefully when Moe railed on him some more.

"Jesheru." she then said turning her focus again. With a jolt, Jesheru was on his feet standing at perfect attention. He sounded off loudly with another "Yes ma'am" like a proud soldier, although his hat had fallen off his head revealing his disheveled hair."I didn't tell you to stop!"

"My apologies, ma'am! You certainly didn't, ma'am! I'll do two more sets of fifty for you ma'am!

"Nah. That's alright. I think my point has been made." Moe said, noting how Kyouichi's cloak, and Jesheru's jacket were damp with well deserved sweat. "Instead, we're gonna double-time it to your homes to pick up your headbands. Then we can move on with our first mission."

Moe sensei then coerced Kyouichi to take the lead back to his hut.
"Keep in pace, Jesheru! You aren't going to get special treatment because your the Kage's nephew! Get going, Joy! You're coming along too, since you could have been busy getting your teammates ready like yourself!" said Moe. They weren't perfect, but Moe was excited to see them grow together. "No more individual thinking. For now, you're all going to focus on working as one; group mentality! You won't have to worry about school grades so much anymore, but on your mission success rate! With a little work and determination, you won't let me, your country, or your Kage down! Now, let's go! Move those legs!"

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

Re: Lately, I've been losing sleep...

PostPosted by MankouZero » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:24 am

"Good golly, is that kid tall." Moe observed as the group made their way to Jesheru's apartment from Kyouichi's hut. The Koumori had a good inch above her. He still had a lot more growing to do in the personality department. That, and hygiene. His hut stank to high heavens. And she was five yards away from the thing.

The stench bothered Joy a lot more, due to her more sensitive nose. She didn't mind it so much because she figured it was Fukurou smoking the special hops again. Kyouichi would complain about it every now and then during class. It made it all the more funny to smell it in person, knowing that was how the young bat got up in the morning.

Jesheru's apparment was in the grocery district, right along with a lot of others from farming families and the like. The Sortodai are renown for their quality produce, and sticking together through the thick and thin as a family. Now and again, Jesheru would have chores to do at his grandfather's shop. Every other week, he also had to tend the fields with his ox summon. Those would be long days of sweat and dirt; typical for a Soratodai.

As Jesheru went inside to get his headband, the rest were free to observe the surroundings. A well trimmed garden was just outside of the building. Underneath the shade of a medium sized tree, a sheathed sword rested tilted against it. Kyouichi plopped himself underneath the tree, stretching along the grass. Joy's eyes were on the sword. It looked as though it were a very special make. Picking it up, she judged it's weight. Very light. Almost too light to be a sword, if she didn't know any better. Pulling from the scabbard revealed a beautiful blade unlike any the dragoness had ever seen in her life. Upon closer inspection she spotted close to the hilt a particular bolt shape. For a moment she wondered what it was. From the corner of her eye, as Kyouichi stretched out she then noticed a bowl full of ash. After a whiff of the air, she suddenly remembered the symbol's meaning. It was the mark of ANBU Bolt ops. She immediately sheathed the sword and put it back against the tree.
"Kyouichi. Off the grass." Joy said sternly. She knew the smell of incense.
"Hey, I'm regaining inner peace here." said Kyouichi.
"You don't understand. This is-"
"My dad's memorial."
Jesheru was standing outside his door with his headband secured around his neck. Kyouichi's made a clink from around his waist as he got to his feet. When the Soratodai interrupted her, Joy fumbled the sword and it fell to the ground. Also, when Kyouichi got to his feet, his foot grazed the incense bowl spilling it on the ground.
"There just went inner peace." said Kyouichi. Joy gave him a nudge in the gut.
"We're sorry Jesheru kun. We didn't know."
"It's okay. I didn't say anything about it." he replied as he put the items back into place. "I was meaning to clean that bowl out at some point today anyway, I guess."

Moe remained quiet and distant observing the three as they interacted.

"Is that your dad's old sword?" Joy said, still curious as well as feeling guilty about touching it.
"It's the only thing they found of him when..."

For a moment Jesheru actually looked... sad. Joy would never forget that look he had on his face the day the news came about his dad. It was the only day that Jesheru didn't have a nice thing to say about everything and everybody else. All the more she wanted this feeling to go away as she noticed those light bluish eyes look so lifeless and depressed. How? How was he so nice and happy day after day since then, and every second it seemed until this moment? It was more than guilt now that put a strain on Joy's face. As soon as Jesheru met her eyes though, the look vanished.
"One of these days I'll have the guts to practice with it, heh heh!" he said with a soft smile.

Was it all a ruse, the way he dodged sadness like this? Joy adjusted her faded blue hoodie and motioned to Kyouichi as the three followed off after Moe sensei. The chuunin gossip could catch an exchange like the one between her two students from a mile away.

"Yeah. Sorry 'bout ruining your inner peace, dude. Sometimes I don't know what my own costs someone else."" the Koumori said at length, rather quite oblivious to the thoughts going on in Joy's mind.

"We have other things to worry about besides keeping a cool head. Right, Moe sensei?" said Jesheru.

"That's right," Moe confirmed. "I've got the perfect starter mission lined up for you guys. Plenty of team building opportunities with this one. Come on! Let's double-time!"

"Sir. Be a double-dick." said Kyouichi.

"Kyouichi. How would like to do pull-ups over flames...? You sure? Well then don't say the word 'dick' around me ever again."

My reserved silence
Is a calm reliance
On a truer course
Through open doors

MankouZero

Return to Kumonoshin | "The Heart of Kumo"