Speed Dating (RPing)

Do you have a question on the system? Do you have an idea to make it better? Post here! Good ideas come from everywhere, don't be shy.

Speed Dating (RPing)

PostPosted by Oddric » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:11 pm

I was thinking about how often I role played various characters and new jutsu, and it certainly isn't as much as I used to or would like to. I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way. One component is a time commitment issue, often when I role play the threads will take me through multiple pages and I'll type up several paragraphs and put a lot of thought into what my character is doing and the environment, etc. Another component is other people, they can take longer than I'd like to respond. Of course they have their own things going on and they also devote their time on perfecting their responses. It makes it difficult to want to try out a new character or jutsu because it takes a long time and a lot of effort to go through a thread. Which is normal and expected because people take their role playing very seriously. I have a sort of "solution" for when people just want a... quick and dirty thread, so to speak.

Speed roleplaying! Essentially, there is a limit on how long the thread can go and how detailed your responses can be. This way, your posts will be centered nearly exclusively on your character. Just the very raw stuff, enough to give you a feel for your character, your new jutsu, new equipment, or how your character interacts with someone else's. If you like it, you can continue on with said fellow RPer and their character for a real story or a real fully fleshed-out fight. Especially with fighting threads, it can really drag out. Sometimes with a lack of quick responses back and forth you can lose momentum. With speed RPing, it forces you to bring the fight to a close. Whether it's just an open-ended finish to the thread, or a quick retreat.

People can adopt whatever "rules" they would like for speed RPing, but these are mine: No more than 10 sentences per response, and the thread's maximum is one page (7 posts per person if there are two people involved). This really slims things down and gets the essential job of what you want the thread to do, done. But more so, it forces you to have to say more with less. Rather than spending a whole paragraph on a explaining a single jutsu, you would have to do it in one or two sentences. As much as I love my long threads with some of my frequent RPing buddies, sometimes quick and dirty is the way to go and it is much less of a time commitment because there is less pressure to write super super extravagant.

...Anyone want to speed date RP?

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Re: Speed Dating (RPing)

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:55 pm

I'll try it.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by raiza » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:00 am

quick and dirty

oh oddy-senpai, be gentle with me...
:<
DEATH PA-N-DA
GO TO HELL!!
(DIVINE PUNISHMENT)
THE DEATH PANDA HELL
IS THIS AN ILLUSION?
(MAYBE NOT)
QUENCH MY THIRST WITH BLOOD
(CATCH ME)
*SQUEEZE SQUEEZE SQUEEZE*
C-COULD THIS BE MY....!!
BURN IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!!
LA-LA-LA-LA
raiza
Bathed in the Blood of a Billion Galaxies

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:03 pm

So...?
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:38 pm

<3

I would like to do that, Tsu! What are you terms?

Raiza, I'll be the quickest and dirtiest with you. ...So would you wanna... you know...

"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Your format/rules are fine. I don't know what character I'd use...uh, you pick one of yours and a place to fight and we'll give it a try? I'll just come up with something of similar rank on the spot.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Oddric » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:56 am

Sounds good by me! narutoc.prophpbb.com/post137331.html

You're next, Raiza.

-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Hanya » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 pm

id be in
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Return to Questions and Ideas