NEW SYSTEM PROPOSAL: Basics, and PvE

Do you have a question on the system? Do you have an idea to make it better? Post here! Good ideas come from everywhere, don't be shy.

NEW SYSTEM PROPOSAL: Basics, and PvE

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:32 am

Where have you been old man?

Switching careers, having kids.

So what's this all about?

Just an idea to get some people playing around here again, but not in the old "let's write a novel per post" sort of way. This is more of a game!

How's it work?

Dice!

It's a simplified dice system to add a bit of chaos and random to the basic storytelling. It's not some ridiculous in-depth system like DnD or Pathfinder or GURPS (I don't even know what those are) but just a way to get the story written while adding back in some of the competitive angle.

...go on.

Everything is distilled down to three basic stats: Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Taijutsu.

We all know these, but to clarify: Ninjutsu stat controls anything where chakra affects the physical world.

Genjutsu controls anything where chakra affects the mind.

Taijutsu controls how the body moves in the world.

How do the dice work?

Each player has a stat number per Nin, Gen, or Tai. The basic for a Genin would be 12 It's a 2 bonus for your specialty, so your specialty stat for a Genin would be 10.

IN THIS SYSTEM, LOW NUMBERS ARE BETTER.

What, why are you low numbers better?

The stat number is the minimum number you must roll to succeed. Therefore, lower is easier. Each time you attempt something using your ability, you roll a 1d20 (or one twenty-sided die). So if you were attempting to use your regular abilities, you would need to roll a 12 or higher to succeed. Using something in your specialty would require a 10 or higher to succeed.

I think I get it. How does rank affect it?

Genin
Basic: 12
Specialty: 10

Chuunin
Basic: 10
Specialty: 8

Jounin
Basic: 8
Specialty: 6

Nothing for Kages at the moment.

So this is how we fight?

Not exactly. Before I get into the more complicated PvP (Player versus Player), it's best to understand the PvE (player vs. environment) aspect of it.

PVE EXAMPLE

We have a team of three Genin: Nin, Tai, and Gen, who each have different specialties. They are going on a mission to retrieve a stolen document. The document is being held by a smuggler, who is in an upper floor building. The building has two guards on the lower floor, just inside the door. The team gets there safely, but the door is locked.

What do you do?

In the old ways, you'd just think of an idea and go with it. But that could be sorta boring to two of the three people writing it. Either A: one person would "drive" the thread, coming up with obstacles and tension for the other two to experience, or B: it would just be really boring with them never encountering a real obstacle.

This is why the dice make it interesting.

Nin, Tai, and Gen could all solve this problem differently. Nin is a Lightning user, and could use the lightning to melt the door lock. Tai could try to kick it down. Gen could knock on the door and try to trick the guards into letting them in.

Let's say Tai decides to give it a shot. He ramps up and tries to kick the door down.

Because he is attempting to do something using Taijutsu, he would roll for his Taijutsu stat. Taijutsu being his specialty, he has to roll a 10 or higher. Basically, a 50/50 chance of success.

If he rolled a 10 or higher, it would work! The door would snap open under the force of his foot.

But what if he rolled an 8? Well, then he would fail his kick. It would just bash against the door and make a loud noise: maybe the lock was stronger than he thought, or he misjudged the amount of force he needed to break it open. Now the guards have heard them, and the others have to do something! This might not have been a story choice the players would have made unless forced to do so by the randomness of the dice. It now forces the players to think outside of the conventional ideas, creating new obstacles and giving them new chances to fix the problem with the creativity.

Whoah.

Whoah is right. But before we go on to that, we need to talk about crits.

Crits?

Crits.

As I said, Tai must roll a 10 or higher to succeed, but there are two special numbers that change the game: 1 and 20.

20 is a critical success! You do whatever you tried to do SO WELL, that it surpassed expectations. Let's say Tai rolled a 20. Not only does he kick the door in, but one of the guards was walking in front of it when he did, and it knocked him out. Now there's only one left. Yay for Tai! He gets to feel awesome, and the story got a hilarious and interesting twist to it.

1 is a critical failure. Not only do you fail the action, but you fail it so catastrophically that you are harmed by it. Tai rolls a 1, and not only does he not break the door, but he breaks his toe in the process!

The possibility of crits can add extra drama to the situation: it can make a longshot work, and it can cause a horrible stroke of bad luck.

That would suck during an important battle.

It would. But these things happen in real life.

Anyway, back to our PvE.

In our example, Tai rolled an 8, so he just made a lot of noise. The guards heard his kick and are rushing for the door.

Gen decides to cast an illusion, trying to turn the three of them instead to a rampaging bull. He must roll a 10, and rolls a 15. The illusion is a success, and the guards see a bull smashing on the door. Gen whispers to Tai to kick the door again, and he does (since he's not trying to break it, he doesn't have to roll), and they make a bunch of noise.

Meanwhile, the smuggler leans out of his window to see what the commotion is. Nin sees her chance and throws a lightning blast at him. She must roll a 10, but she rolls a 20! Critical success! Not only does the smuggler get hit, but he falls out of the window, bringing the stolen documents with him.

The mission is completed. But it's done in a much more interesting and creative way than it might have otherwise, because the dice forced the players outside of their comfort zone.

Nice. But what if we wanted to complete it without using techniques? How would we do that?

You don't need extra stats like charisma or strength of intimidation. Everything goes through the three.

Gen controls everything mental: so trickery, deception, lying, charming, that all goes in your Genjutsu stat.

Nin controls everything chakra and physical: wall walking, chakra sense, that sort of thing.

Tai controls the physical: stealth, sneaking, pickpocketing, climbing, running, physical dodges, that sort of thing.

So if you wanted to sweet talk your way into the guards, you would roll for Gen. If you wanted to wait outside and steal the keys, you'd roll for Tai. If you wanted to chakra walk up the wall and sneak into the second floor, roll for Nin. Anyone can attempt these things, not just the specialty, it just makes it a slightly harder dice roll.

---

So I have a PvP combat aspect done, and some PERKS and specialties and stuff, but there's no sense going overboard until I see if there's any interest.

Anyone have input? Or interested in trying it out?
Tsuneo
Old Man

Re: NEW SYSTEM PROPOSAL: Basics, and PvE

PostPosted by Kiyoshi » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:25 pm

Kiyoshi
General Kiyo Jackassery

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Kiyoshi wrote:http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/forum/

That is all.

It isn't as intensive as that, I'm pretty sure.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:20 am

This reminds me of some of the tabletops I've played before... Seems interesting; I think there would likely be room to run this alongside the more traditional rp styles as well; Maybe a specific set of forums for it?

I would love to try it!
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:42 am

Cool. Anyone else?

Come on don't be afraid to try it. It isnt as different as you think it's going to be. We'll do a test thread, and if you don't like it, no harm done right?
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm down to clown.

Love the useage of genjutsu as a mental attribute.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:38 pm

Sweet!

Let's keep it simple, we'll just use some basic Genin for now. You guys can pick Nin, Gen, or Tai, I'll just go with whatever. Once you've picked, I'll start a little mission and post a link here.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by raiza » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:15 am

This is really interesting.

...I'll lurk in the background like always and enjoy reading things!
DEATH PA-N-DA
GO TO HELL!!
(DIVINE PUNISHMENT)
THE DEATH PANDA HELL
IS THIS AN ILLUSION?
(MAYBE NOT)
QUENCH MY THIRST WITH BLOOD
(CATCH ME)
*SQUEEZE SQUEEZE SQUEEZE*
C-COULD THIS BE MY....!!
BURN IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!!
LA-LA-LA-LA
raiza
Bathed in the Blood of a Billion Galaxies

PostPosted by Physalis |0083| » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Kiyoshi wrote:http://www.ninpocho.com/naruto/forum/

That is all.

Actually not even. Since stats and rolls were more for skill learning, and combat. Never really used outside of that. As I made if to Chuunin on Ninpocho without having to use stats at all really.

Tsudaddy's concept extends beyond that, and is witha simplier concept then the standard DnD type stats, that Ninpocho had.

I think is a good idea, and honestly it'll probably be good for everyone to start fresh. I doubt this will get in the way of anything we have going on now. As it would be considered different worlds I would assume.

Spoiler:
BECAUSE
I'M HAPPY

Tsuuki wrote:I took the Fluoxetine, not for the wounds but so I won't give a shit when I sneak past the person trapped in the car.

Since Youtube has so deemed it to be a travesty to host this video on it's site. I give you this link to enjoy this beautiful piece of artwork.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82733824/
http://gifsound.com/?gif=replygif.net/i ... CLoZ2Q&s=3
Physalis |0083|
▷0083◁
▷0083◁

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Tsuneo wrote:Sweet!

Let's keep it simple, we'll just use some basic Genin for now. You guys can pick Nin, Gen, or Tai, I'll just go with whatever. Once you've picked, I'll start a little mission and post a link here.

Genjutsu for me.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Spike » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:48 pm

I got confused about three sentences in...

I'll read again when more sober.

If you fall down seven times, stand up eight.
It isn't a matter of life or death, it's about what breaks first; your will or the barriers in your way.

Spike
The Daftpunk [Who the hell do you think I am?]

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:50 pm

I'll try taijutsu!
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Physalis |0083| » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:52 pm

Spike wrote:I got confused about three sentences in...

I'll read again when more sober.

If you got that PC so we could do that Star Wars thing, then you wouldn't be!

Spoiler:
BECAUSE
I'M HAPPY

Tsuuki wrote:I took the Fluoxetine, not for the wounds but so I won't give a shit when I sneak past the person trapped in the car.

Since Youtube has so deemed it to be a travesty to host this video on it's site. I give you this link to enjoy this beautiful piece of artwork.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82733824/
http://gifsound.com/?gif=replygif.net/i ... CLoZ2Q&s=3
Physalis |0083|
▷0083◁
▷0083◁

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:54 am

Here it is: topic14148.html

Few things:

1. You have 10 HP and 10 Chakra. If you use anything related to Chakra, use a chakra point.

2. HP is just a representation. Losing HP doesn't mean you get injured always, it could just mean fatigue or stress or panic. If you lose all HP, you lose the BATTLE, but you don't necessarily die/become dismembered, etc.

3. If you do a roll, tell us what stat you're rolling for (nin, gen, tai) and the number you got. USE A SPOILER TAG.

4. At the end, use another spoiler tag and give us your HP and Chakra stats. Just helps keep things tidy.

5. If you don't have a d20, you can either get a phone app or use this: http://www.roll-dice-online.com/ We're on the honor system here as to if you fudge your rolls or not. Try not to, it's more fun.

6. This is a test so if you have questions or suggestions, put them here!

Have fun, and thanks for trying it!
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:09 am

Oddy, since you'll probably get inside before us you can go ahead and make it look however you want.
Tsuneo
Old Man

Next

Return to Questions and Ideas