PVP PROPOSAL

Do you have a question on the system? Do you have an idea to make it better? Post here! Good ideas come from everywhere, don't be shy.

PVP PROPOSAL

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Introduction

The PvP proposal is a bit more complicated than the PvE one, though that has always been true no matter what system you use. Whenever you invent something that must force another person to win or lose, it must have a lot of options

Game balance is notoriously difficult, even for professionals, so I realize I might not be seeing something here or there are improvements I can make to it. Please feel free to add input and discuss.

Combat Basics

Each player has a base of 10 HP and 10 Chakra. This does not change with rank, though it can change with PERKS (which we will talk about later).

”Roll for Initiative”

Unless there are special circumstances surrounding the battle, every player in the battle rolls to see who goes first. Whoever has the highest number goes first, then down the line. If people tie, they re-roll. That will be the turn order for the fight.

Attack Phase

When it is a player’s turn, they can take an action, mostly attack (though you could use this phase for using an item or positioning somewhere, but you get the idea.) When they attack, they will roll twice

Attempt Roll

The first roll is to see if your attack attempt was successful. This roll is based upon the basic stats: NIN, GEN, and TAI. Remember, the stats change based on your rank and speciality. So, a Genin Ninjutsu player has stats of:

NIN: 10
GEN: 12
TAI: 12

They must roll the minimum number or HIGHER to land the attempt. If the player misses their attempt, then they miss their attack. If they used a Chakra based attack, a Chakra is consumed whether or not they land the attack or not.

CRITS: If a player rolls a 20, it is considered a critical success: which means that a minimum of one HP will be taken from the target, regardless of the rest of the rolls. If a player rolls a 1, it is a critical failure, and results in one extra chakra loss (even for TAI rolls). So if it was a NIN attempt, they would lose 2 chakra. A TAI attempt would lose 1 chakra.

Damage Roll

If a player lands their Attempt Roll, they will then roll another d20 to see how much damage their attack does. The actual damage is calculated by rank.

Genin: [roll]/4
Chuunin: [roll]/3
Jounin/S-Rank/Kage: [roll]/2

So if a Genin rolls a 20 for damage, it would be 20/4 = 5.
Max damage a Chuunin could do would be 20/3 = 7
Max damage for a Jounin would be 20/2 = 10

Remember, all players have 10HP, so only a Jounin or above could do a one-hit victory.

Because fractions are dumb, the lowest interval you can do is a half. If it’s higher than a half, it goes up to the next whole number. This is mostly only important for Chuunin, since 20/3 = 6.6.

This is also important because low damage rolls can get confusing. If a Genin rolls a 4, then 4/4 = 1, which is fine. But what about a 3?

¾ = 0.75, which is higher than half so we’d make that 1
2/4 = 0.5, so it would land for a 0.5 HP damage.
¼ = 0.25, or 0 in our case. So a Genin rolling a 1 for damage would do 0 damage.

That’s a bit different than a Jounin, which if they rolled a 1 for damage would be 1/2 = 0.5

I think it works because Jounin SHOULD be able to do damage more consistently than a Genin.

Remember though, that if during the ATTEMPT ROLL the player rolled a 20, they would land a MINIMUM of 1 HP, regardless of how bad the damage roll was. This does NOT add 1 HP of damage to a damage roll that creates a 1 or higher.

This may seem like a lot of damage considering that characters only have 10 HP, but it makes more sense once you start adding in DEFENSE ROLLS.

Defense Phase

Players who are attacked have the option to defend against that attack. The roll pattern is very similar:

Players choose how to defend and make an attempt roll (NIN, GEN, TAI)

If the player fails their attempt roll, they must take the FULL DAMAGE that the attacker lands.

CRITS: If a player rolls a 20, it is a CRITICAL SUCCESS, which gives the opportunity for a COUNTER-ATTACK.

If a player passes their attempt roll, they then do a DEFENSE ROLL, which is calculated with the same formula as the DAMAGE ROLL.

Genin: [roll]/4
Chuunin: [roll]/3
Jounin/S-Rank/Kage: [roll]/2

Damage Calculation Phase

Once the attack and defenses have been rolled, damage is calculated and assigned to the targeted player.

If the DEFENDER failed their defense attempt, they take the FULL DAMAGE of the attacker’s attack.

If the DEFENDER passed their defense attempt, then the following calculation is done.

[ATTACKER DAMAGE ROLL] - [DEFENDER DEFENSE ROLL] = [DAMAGE TAKEN]

If an attacker rolled 5 damage, and the defender rolled 4 defense, the total HP the defender would lose is 1.

Here’s what it would look like if all the rolls were written out.

GENIN A ATTACKS GENIN B

GEN A: Attack Attempt: 15, Damage 12/4 = 3

GEN B: Defense Attempt: 19, Defense 8/4 = 2

GENIN B loses 1 HP.

If the DEFENDER rolls HIGHER than the attacker’s damage, they do not take ANY damage.

GENIN A ATTACKS GENIN B

GEN A: Attack Attempt: 15, Damage 8/4 = 2

GEN B: Defense Attempt: 19, Defense 12/4 = 3

GENIN B loses 0 HP.

COUNTER-ATTACK

If the DEFENDER rolled a 20 on their DEFENSE ATTEMPT, then they have the opportunity for a COUNTER-ATTACK.

COUNTER-ATTACKS are done exactly the same, but in the event that the DEFENDER rolls higher than the ATTACKER, the damage is applied to the ATTACKER.

GENIN A ATTACKS GENIN B

GEN A: Attack Attempt: 15, Damage 8/4 = 2

GEN B: Defense Attempt: 20 COUNTER-ATTACK, Defense 12/4 = 3

GENIN A loses 1 HP.

SPECIAL ACTION: Sneak Attacks

If conditions are met, a player may attempt a sneak attack. Conditions may include:

The character’s positioning is behind/above/in some position where the defending character might not see them.

The attacker is using a skill or jutsu that would allow for that to happen.

The defending character is already engaged with another player (like in a team fight) and allows for the plausible attempt.

Sneak Attacks are ALL OR NOTHING attacks.

Sneak Attack Attempt: An attempt roll based upon the correct stat is taken. (NIN, GEN, TAI). If the attempt is successful, the defender rolls a DODGE.

CRIT: If a sneak attack lands a 20, it will automatically hit and no dodge can be taken.

Note: Some characters may have statuses that prevent them from EVER having a sneak attack attempted. One example would be a Hyuuga using an engaged Byakugan.

DODGE A character can attempt a DODGE for a sneak attack, based upon their preferred stat.

Chakra Sense: Based on NIN stat, the defender senses a shift in chakra that warns them of an incoming attack.

Tactical Sense: Based on GEN stat, the defender uses training in the Academy about battle strategy and they realize their position might be vulnerable (similar to Shikamaru realizing he might be in a bad spot based upon his knowledge of strategy)

GUTS!: Based on TAI stat, the defender just has a bad feeling and instinctively moves out of the way.

Depending on the situation of the attack, one or the other DODGES might not be available. For example, Chakra Sense DODGE only works if the Sneak Attack is chakra-based. It would not make sense for Chakra Sense to warn the target if a kunai is being thrown at them from behind. It would not make sense for Tactical Sense to be used if the target can’t see the environment (smoke screen, genjutsu, etc.). A player might then have to use a different DODGE choice.

Damage Calculation

If a DEFENDER successfully passes their DODGE attempt, then the SNEAK ATTACK fails, and they lose no damage.

If the DEFENDER does not pass their DODGE, the ATTACKER does a DAMAGE ROLL, using usual calculations. The DEFENDER then takes ALL of the damage.

Weapons and Equipment

There would be more detail in this when we get to equipment creation, but the basic is that you would have to start accounting for equipment in your character “load out.” Previously you could have an unlimited amount of shuriken and kunai, mostly because no one ever let one hit them.

All equipment throws and uses would be a TAI roll.

Shuriken, kunai, demon-wind shuriken, and explosive tags all have a MAX damage they can deal to a target.

Shuriken/Kunai - 1
Demon-Wind - 3
Explosive Tag - 5

So, example:

GENIN A ATTACKS GENIN B WITH A SHURIKEN

GEN A: Attack Attempt: 12, Damage 18/4 = 6

GEN B: Defense Attempt: 19, Defense 8/4 = 2

GENIN B loses 1 HP.

In a regular damage roll, GENIN B should have lost 4 HP (6-2 = 4) but since it’s just a shuriken, it is only 1.

Kunai would use a normal TAI combat roll if it was being used as a knife and not thrown.

The number you can throw per attack is:

Genin: 2
Chuunin: 3
Jounin+ : 4

Each throw requires it’s own separate roll for attempt and damage.

Any other attack using a weapon is going to be a TAI roll, unless there are specialized conditions for the weapon approved in Equipment (e.g. a sword that shoots lightning or some other ninjutsu thing).

If you are a Weapons Expert, you can use a normal damage roll rather than the MAX DAMAGE limits set here (i.e., a shuriken can do more damage because you spent more time learning how to aim them, throw them harder, etc.) More information is available in PERKS.

Jutsu and Elements

Every character gets an element to start with, with the option of adding one per rank so that the character has three basic or two basic and one advanced element.

More detailed rules will have to be made for this, but you do not need a jutsu for every single thing you do with that element.

For example, a basic fireball. If you have fire, you can do it, no need to get it approved. This allows for people to get creative with uses of their elements as time goes on: maybe you want to make a fire whip. Do it! No need to get approved.

What if you wanted to hit two people with a spread of fire, like a Phoenix Flower Jutsu? Well, then you could do that WITHOUT approval, but you’d need to consume chakra. One chakra use per target.

When you WOULD have to get it approved is when your attacks attempt to hit more than one target or have something that would try to attempt a huge amount of damage.

Let’s say you want to create the Phoenix Flower jutsu but you only want it to use ONE chakra. You would have to get that approved, since you’re asking for extra damage without extra cost.

If you wanted to create an S-ranked jutsu that insta-killed the target (like a Chidori) then you’d need to put some serious penalties to chakra use. Maybe it uses 5 chakra? Who knows!

The point is, jutsu creation is not required for an interesting use of your element. I think it’s reasonable they would come up with things on the fly.

Again, jutsu rules would need their own set of work.

Environment

Just because there are dice rolls doesn’t mean the game has turned into a weird 90s RPG where they stand in a row and attack each other. The old style of using the environment is still in use. Therefore, it is possible for one person not to be able to be hit by a particular attack. If your jutsu shoots a fireball in a straight line and the target is standing behind a wall, you can’t hit them. The dice only come into play when the attempt MAKES SENSE. Use your common sense and your skills as a writer.

If positioning ever becomes a problem and you can’t come to an agreement, get someone to make the call for you.

You can also change the environment with your jutsu, as usual.To do that, you just need to do a standard PvE roll. If you want to raise a wall of earth, roll your attempt, and if you pass, there it is. So long as the target is not another player, the extra rolls are not needed.

Some actions don’t even require a stat roll. So keep that in mind when battling!

Winning Battles

Battles continue with each player taking turns attacking one another until a condition is met.

HP Loss: When a player reaches 0 HP, they lose the battle. They do not have to die, become dismembered, etc., but they can no longer take actions. If this is a special event like a war, it would leave a player open to being captured.

One side retreats: One side can give up and run away. Special events like wars may have additional rules governing the ability to retreat.

Turn Limit is reached: If the battle is a special event (.e.g a tournament) it may have a turn limit. At the end of the turn limit, total HPs will be counted, and the side with the most will be declared the victor. If HP is tied, whoever has more Chakra left will be declared the victor.

PERKS

Since customization and creativity have always been important to us here, we need a way to make that customization translate into dice rolls. If we all had the same set of dice, all of the lovely backstories, clans, and equipment wouldn’t mean much since the odds are always the same. That’s where PERKS come in. They are essentially a way to use the old specialization system in a new way.

How do you get PERKS?

You can get them per rank up. You get a new one each rank up, just like in the old specialty system.

You can get them as result of being in a CLAN. We would have to invent PERK limits during CLAN CREATION, but that would be a way to get them.

They can be added as a result of a SEAL or DEMON. Again, creation limits would apply.

You could get them as a REWARD for special events or special training. That would be a fun benefit to participating!

Perk Examples

Here’s a list I came up with. Feel free to give input.

Summoning: Allows for the summoning of creatures, each of which has their own HP and Chakra (NIN stat)

Weapon Expert: Allows to use multiple weapons, use normal damage rolls for weapon throws, and carry more equipment. (TAI stat)

Kenjutsu: Master of the sword, +1 to all damage rolls when using a sword in combat. (TAI stat)

Fuuinjutsu: Allows creation and understanding of seals. (This one is tricky, I think what I would do is make this a GEN stat, since GEN is all about mind and Fuuinjutsu is about study. This essentially means you could have a Genjutsu user who can also do some seal-based ninjutsu techniques that rolls on their GEN stat, making it more likely for those attacks to land.)

Medical Arts: Allows for healing in combat. (NIN stat. Medical ninjutsu would still be limited to Chuunin+, but a Genin with Medical Arts would be allowed to carry a MED PACK, which can heal HP during battles. This would not be available for non-Med-nins.)

Puppetry: Allows for creation of puppets, puppets would have their own HP. (NIN stat)

Chakra Control: +2 Chakra reserves (so they would have 12 rather than 10)

Iron Conditioning: +2 HP (HP 12 instead of 10, for tank builds)

Focus of Study: Changes base stats (so a Genin with Focus of Study in Taijutsu would have their stats changed to TAI: 9, NIN: 13, GEN: 13. Makes it easier to land TAI rolls but harder to do NIN and GEN. This allows to make a Lee or Gai-like character. You could repeat this over time so that by Jounin you’d have TAI: 3, NIN 18, GEN 18)

Elementalist: +1 to damage rolls when using elemental attacks

Empty Hand: +2 damage for taijutsu attacks without weapons, but -1 damage to weapon-based attacks.

These are just some ideas. The options could be limitless.

Conclusion

It may seem like a lot, but once you understand that the attack and defense is just two dice rolls and then some addition and subtraction, the rest is easy. They just modify the chances based on the specialization of your character.

But what about lying on the dice? What about if people lose their rolls and then are still jerks about it?

Well I would hope that we could solve our problems amongst ourselves. In a truly important battle, like a war, we could assign Battle Masters who rolled the dice independently of the combatants and then post the results. There’s no guarantee they wouldn’t lie there too, but at some point we just have to trust each other.

Also, the alternative didn’t work out so well. We would just end up lawyering each other about every tiny little phrasing and timing and word and it was more about who could argue their points better, which mean that most battles either ended up as a draw or with a lot of pissed off people. At least this way there’s a better chance of faster, more impartial results.

Anyway, please comment and discuss. I’m open to suggestions.
Tsuneo
Old Man

Re: PVP PROPOSAL

PostPosted by Art » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:50 am

this is quite well though out!

I like how there is structure with room for creation process.

I am going to look into this further when I have more time.

My only real question comes down to statuses.

They example listed for the Byakugan makes it look like a 'perk' as well. I am just wondering is there a difference between a perk and a status as I feel like the two could very well be interchangeable. I guess what I am asking is a better definition on status. Please advise.

Also when it comes down to perks I think it might be beneficial to make them separate from rank, as you can get them through creation process, special event, or training.
1-2 perks for genin, 2-3 perks for chuunin, 3-4 perks for jounin, perks then capped at 4?

My reasoning for this is that it rewards progress and use of a character, likewise it might help bridge the gap between genin and chuunin due to fact the higher rank does gain the advantage of doing more consistent damage... Just a thought.
Art
Site Fanatic
Site Fanatic

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:10 am

They example listed for the Byakugan makes it look like a 'perk' as well. I am just wondering is there a difference between a perk and a status as I feel like the two could very well be interchangeable. I guess what I am asking is a better definition on status. Please advise.

Well, the Byakugan is technically half-perk, half jutsu. The PERKS for the Hyuuga clan would be the ability to use their clan techniques. The Byakugan's Sneak Attack immunity would just be a benefit of the jutsu. As it is a jutsu, it would cost Chakra to use over time. I'm thinking a chakra per turn, or maybe half a chakra per turn.

That may seem like a lot, but the system is designed to generate quick battles. That's why the numbers are so low. In simulations I ran, no battle ran longer than 10 turns per player, which even in the old days felt like the maximum length a battle could go before it got boring.

Status, I think, would be effects that Genjutsu would take, more in the lines of traditional RPGS? Like blind, silence, fear, etc. Basically things that would prevent you from taking a certain action. Some nin would have status too, like Shadow Imitation, which is basically paralysis.

So I guess the terminology breaks down like this: Hyuuga clan is the PERK. Byakugan is the JUTSU allowed by the PERK. SNEAK IMMUNITY is the STATUS that comes from the JUTSU.

Also when it comes down to perks I think it might be beneficial to make them separate from rank, as you can get them through creation process, special event, or training.
1-2 perks for genin, 2-3 perks for chuunin, 3-4 perks for jounin, perks then capped at 4?

Hm, this is an interesting thought. In the past, we worried about forcing character specialization because we had too many characters that could do EVERYTHING: swords, puppets, ninjutsu, taijutsu, and so on. That made a character have lots of justifications for actions, which is what the whole battle was based on.

But, having conflicting PERKS wouldn't help a character since everything is rolled off of stat.

Someone with a NIN specialty would be sort of wasting their PERKS if they used Kenjutsu, say, because Ken has to roll off of TAI, so even though there's a damage bonus, the chances of landing that attack is lowered.

I think too that making sure the creation rules surrounding Clan and Seal would have to ensure that the benefits weren't overpowered, meaning that the PERKS have drawbacks. That would be most common in Seal/Demon, since they've always had to have pretty severe drawbacks in the past.

One inherent problem I have with writing some of this is that I'm not good at all sections of creation. I never, EVER had a puppet character, I never used a lot of Genjutsu, and I never had a demon or a seal, so I'm not sure what works, what doesn't, etc. If we start moving to make this stuff reality, I'm going to need more experienced people in these areas to write up those rules.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:39 am

Bump for more comments! Please let me know if you guys like it, or if it's too complicated.

IF it's too complicated, I can try again. I've been studying lots of different tabletop systems and there are loads of interesting ways to redo combat that wouldn't be so luck-based.

So feel free to tell me you don't like it, if you don't.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:26 pm

I have seen a lot of systems that work really well with a kind of "Fortune point" system.

You can sacrifice a pre'determined number of fortune points to re-roll dice during a day'long period, after which they regenerate. This can ad a layer of strategy that will remove some of the luck-only components. Maybe there could be a perk for one extra fortune point; if people wanted that perk they would also be choosing to sacrifice other perks as well.

Just a thought. I like the idea for the system, but would have to see it in play.
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:17 am

Idea, having seen the test;

Make defense always successful. Maybe increase the defense modifier for rank.

You can foregoe defending for the opportunity to dodge instead, which negates all damage.

the thought behind this; in high-level battles, if the odds of failing a roll are lower, especially in the case of Ryuuchi, who would have to roll a crit fail in order to not hit someone and do damage.

The risk of dodging; if you fail, you receive full damage. This would not be limited to taijutsu; genjutsu could definitely be used to dodge, and nin to evade in creative ways.

This would make fights last longer.

To be fair, in most table tops, even high level characters don't get to the point where they auto-hit people.
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:36 am

The dodge mechanic you're proposing can easily be abused.
On average an S-rank should have at least one stat at 4, meaning they can easily dodge the whole fight. With even more focusing on a skill, you can reduce it even further under 4, meaning the chance of ever getting hit drops to about 10%.

You can have a dodge mechanic that nullifies damage IF it is a technique that expends chakra (and it would be costly). Instead of defending damage you can use chakra to dodge in a certain way. It's the same concept of the replacement jutsu really. There can even be restrictions rank vs rank when it comes to dodge jutsu so a simple C-rank dodge doesn't dodge an A-rank.

Ryuuchi
I like your pretty, easily broken, face. >:D

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:18 am

Yeah, dodging just means you can make fights last longer. In the current mechanic, you're shortening fights wtih every defnese most likely because you have to use Chakra. Yeah, you can defend for "free" with TAI, but most people aren't tai-based.

I want fights to end relatively quickly. Nothing kills a PvP faster than a fight that lasts forever. The problem is that the fight ended TOO quickly. I personally have no problem with that speed, but I can see it being frustrating for other people.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:47 am

The fight effectively ended with one exchange of blows. It would have made sense if Ichigo was fighting a genin or chuunin scrub, but against a Jounin it was definitely too fast.

I personally still believe that more HP but also jutsu with damage tags is the way to go.

Let's take mister Average Joe Jounin and Plain Jane Jounin.

NIN: 6
TAI: 8
GEN: 8
HP: 21
CH: 18

Vs

NIN: 8
TAI: 6
GEN: 8
HP: 22
CH: 17

ROUND 1

Spoiler:
Joe wins Initiative and starts things off with a B-rank offensive jutsu called "Focused Lightning Jutsu" (+5 Lightning Element Damage) which costs 7 Chakra.

NIN Attempt: 17 SUCCESS
Jutsu Damage Roll: (16/2)+5 = 13

Jane attempts to evade the attack.

TAI Attempt: 19 SUCCESS
Defense Roll: (12/2) = 6
Total Damage taken = 7

Jane doesn't attack this turn but instead activates her B-rank Taijutsu technique called "Tiger Form" (+3 to all TAI related damage and defense) which costs 5 chakra to activate, but 1 chakra per round.
NOTE: In this case, Jane is activating her personal buff jutsu while not under pressure from an attack, thus there should be no need for a roll to activate it. She could have tried activating it before the jutsu hit, but she would have had to roll as she was activating a technique while under pressure of an attack.
It's about a trade, she can either risk failure and further reduce damage taken or she takes the damage and activates without risk.

END OF ROUND RESULTS
Joe
CH: 11

Jane
HP: 15
CH: 12

ROUND 2

Spoiler:
Joe attempts the same attack, using up 7 more chakra.

NIN Attempt: 3 FAILURE

Jane takes advantage of this miss and charges in, aiming to deliver her signature Taijutsu strike "Tiger's Claw" (+2 TAI damage), a B-rank Taijutsu attack, uses no chakra.

TAI Attempt: 12 SUCCESS
Damage Roll: (8/2)+5 = 9

END OF ROUND RESULTS
Joe
CH: 4

Jane
CH: 11

ROUND 3

Spoiler:
Joe attempts to block the attack.

TAI Defense Attempt: 5 FAILURE
Damage Taken: 9

Joe then tries to back off and uses his C-rank NIN technique "Prayer Dome" which generates a dome of earth around him with an HP of 10, costing him 3 chakra.

NIN Attempt: 10 SUCCESS

Joe begins meditating to gather chakra.
Jane strikes the wall with normal punch (a techniqueless strike while not under pressure, no need to roll for attempt).

TAI Damage Roll: (9/2)+3 = 8 (result was 4,5 and we should round up so make it 5)

Jane cracks the dome but doesn't break it apart yet.

END OF ROUND RESULTS
Joe
HP: 12
CH: 1

Jane
CH: 10

ROUND 4

Spoiler:
Joe meditates, regaining 1/4 of his total chakra (again, rounding up we get 5). However, seeing his dome hold he forgoes all other actions, instead gaining 1/2 his chakra (9).

Jane gets pissed and bashes the dome again.

TAI Damage Roll: (12/2)+3 = 9

Jane shatters the dome, however she already attacked so all she can do is position herself, jumping into the dome.

END OF ROUND RESULTS
Joe
CH: 10

Jane
CH: 9

ROUND 5

Spoiler:
Joe stops meditating and quickly uses his powerful A-rank jutsu "Raijin's Wrath" (+10 lightning damage), costing 10 chakra.

NIN Attempt: 20 CRIT SUCCESS
Damage Roll: (10/2)+10 = 15

Cursing her bad decision to rush in, she tries to evade again.

TAI Defense: 16 SUCCESS
Defense Roll: (2/2)+3 = 4
Total Damage: 11

Although she tried to evade, she wasn't fast enough to evade it all, thus taking most of the damage and receiving a critical wound.
Not wanting to give up, Jane keeps charging at Joe and aims her powerful A-Rank chakra enhanced Taijutsu technique "Destruction God's Fist" (+7 TAI/NIN damage), costs 8 chakra.
NOTE: New addition to the system, certain techniques are both NIN and TAI, so you simply take the average of both stats, in this case being 7.

NIN/TAI Attempt: 5 FAILURE

Unfortunately Jane's wounds were so severe that she flinched at the last moment, missing the attack completely.

END OF ROUND RESULTS
Joe
CH: 0

Jane
HP: 4

ROUND 6
Spoiler:
Joe notices that Jane is heavily injured, however he is out of chakra to use on any other jutsu, forcing him to resort to Taijutsu. Thus he tries to kick her in the head.

TAI Attempt: 9 SUCCESS
Damage Roll: (18/2) = 9

Jane, obviously, tries to parry the attack.

TAI Defense Attempt: 16
Defense Roll: (8/2) = 4
Total Damage: 5

Jane ran out of chakra after failing that A-rank jutsu, thus her buff was wore off and she gained no bonuses to her TAI defense. In the end, Jane drops to the ground un conscious.

END OF ROUND RESULTS
Joe

Jane
HP: 0

The fight lasted 6 rounds, not that long for a fight between JOUNIN. Also it could have easily gone any way, but in the end Joe was slightly luckier AND smarter with his strategies while Jane focused on just buffing herself and rushing in recklessly.
Jane was a very taijutsu focused fighter, she obtained jutsu that enhanced her techniques while Joe was very ninjutsu focused, thus his normal attacks were weaker, but he could use jutsu that dealt additional damage and could also be used for other effects.

This, of course, is without taking into account PERKS and RP, which could make a fight last longer or shorter depending on the builds.

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:22 pm

Pssssst hey Ryuuchi, can you give this site a try when you're producing rolls? It's a potential system we might use for our fights here. Allows a user to roll with labels like character, campaign, description, and rolls with boosts/buffs; the results come already formatted for BB-code, and you can track rolls by campaign/user to see if there's any cheatin' afoot.

If anyone is experienced with it, let me know!

"What's the point in joining if...

...we have Mr. Half-Baked & Mr. Happy-Hour teaming up too?"
~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:58 am

Gave it a try Tsuuki. I was gonna propose another site for the rolls with a similar system but this one is better with the bbcode link. I think we should use this one for now ^^

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Kiyoshi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:07 am

You guys need an armor rating.
Kiyoshi
General Kiyo Jackassery

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:04 am

Ryuuchi wrote:Gave it a try Tsuuki. I was gonna propose another site for the rolls with a similar system but this one is better with the bbcode link. I think we should use this one for now ^^

Were you thinkin' Roll20.net? It DOES have a world-building aspect... maybe for official "exams" we can create and run dungeons through it x)

"What's the point in joining if...

...we have Mr. Half-Baked & Mr. Happy-Hour teaming up too?"
~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Ryuuchi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Was actually talking about
https://rolz.org/
You can create private die rolling rooms, but the one you suggested is still better xD

Kiyoshi wrote:You guys need an armor rating.

We'll deal with it once the rest of the system has been hashed out a bit. One thing at a time.

Ryuuchi

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Looking at the current test, I'm wondering where Ryuuchi is getting the plus 6 to his damage roll. Isn't the plus 4 from elemental already factored in?
Mr.Malo

Next

Return to Questions and Ideas