POLL: What two villages?

A useful place to post non spammed topics that relate to the site, or anything else of more sober interest.

Re: POLL: What two villages?

PostPosted by Brera » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Not sure if it's true or not, or even important, but isn't Sora jsut kinda floating around the sky somewhere... or does it have a fixed position? That could also play some kinda role. Or not. Idk.. just spit balling...

Totally off topic: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/24 ... 14852.html
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Yamamoto » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Brera wrote:Not sure if it's true or not, or even important, but isn't Sora jsut kinda floating around the sky somewhere... or does it have a fixed position? That could also play some kinda role. Or not. Idk.. just spit balling...

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Sora and the Demon village would be pretty nice.

"Far into the the demon country rests the nomadic demon village. It is not a peaceful place at all. It is so brutal that the weak born here do not last long. Despite that fact they have managed to create a massive army wielding strange ninjutsu. It goes without saying that they pose not only a threat to the Sky, but the entire world. For if they are not stopped the nations could burn under their might."

Could be a series of sky villages having to deal with the demon tribes now that they have taken the ground.
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴
Yamamoto
Yamsalot

PostPosted by Physalis |0083| » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Yesss come yo me my children.

Spoiler:
BECAUSE
I'M HAPPY

Tsuuki wrote:I took the Fluoxetine, not for the wounds but so I won't give a shit when I sneak past the person trapped in the car.

Since Youtube has so deemed it to be a travesty to host this video on it's site. I give you this link to enjoy this beautiful piece of artwork.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82733824/
http://gifsound.com/?gif=replygif.net/i ... CLoZ2Q&s=3
Physalis |0083|
▷0083◁
▷0083◁

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Here's my Image theory.

IF you make one team obviously evil, a lot of people are going to join it--it's fun/special to be "evil."

If a lot of people join it, the more character stories that will inevitably reveal misguided or tragic foundations as motives.

The more tragic characters that are (sub)consciously seeking sympathy, the less evil that faction steadily appears.

The more humanized the initially "evil" faction becomes, the... uh... more milk they'll want, I think.

... look I'm just playing Image here.

Why not totally new villages for a new system of play? One can be more militaristic/industrial and perhaps the invading/aggressive faction, but why not just give both factions central, logical goals and avoid the eventual debate of whether evil is obligated to fail or not.

"What's the point in joining if...

...we have Mr. Half-Baked & Mr. Happy-Hour teaming up too?"
~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:01 am

I had the same concerns, but part of my theory as to why things fell apart around here is that it got TOO complicated. I thought maybe a simple good vs bad overwatch structure would attract people into playing again.

Then again, I see your point. Aubs always felt like he was morally obligated to win since he owned Konoha.

In my original thoughts about a victory system I had three ideas: War victory, influence victory, and espionage victory.

In War victory, IC events bring the two player villages to war and they fight battles until one group wins or loses. Wouldn't have to be a total anihilation, but there could be some interesting stories resulting from it.

In influence victory, the village who wins the most Third Party missions would win. So the third party NPC village, which I guess would be Suna, posts stuff for either group to do, and however can win more influence from Suna would be the winner.

In espionage victory, each team plants a SPY in the other team's village and they have to uncover some secret via RPing and relationshipping, etc. If that character could get access to the information, the other team would win. This might be like, the locaiton of their bijuu.

In any case, winning any of those conditions would be the end of a SEASON. Then we would do SEASON 2, reset the conditions for victory, and play again.

A little more game, a little less massive novel. This prevents evil or good from totally winning one side or the other.

but your idea for specific objectives might work too. Just framing their desires differently, like unifying the falle ncountries vs letting them have independence.

(ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER.)
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Rai » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:41 am

I think Tsuuki is right on that, eventually the Evil Village and good village concepts fades because it somewhat limits the flavor and directions that characters within them can take.

a good example of this was Konoha as well, it was the "good" village, when characters got into darker story lines and motivations, or were simply "meaner" and more brutal, players felt the need to have their character leave the village as the setting simply did not fit.

2 villages (3 with the NPC one) have any number of possibilities as to why they are competing against one another. no more village per country means that each village would be willing to take contracts from any country, meaning that the stronger the village seems the more likely they are to get hired. They can be as hostile to each other for the simple reason that their livelihood depends on it. A village could choose to be more militaristic or brutal in their methods than another believing that it will make them stronger without being specifically evil.

Ultimately the competition and rivalry between them is more likely to last and endure as a plot point and its roster remain stable if its motivations and methods are allowed to be broader than simply good and evil.
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:15 pm

It is my opinion that the villages chosen should be familiar to those who are fans of the show; this will open the game up more to new players; doing a bunch of work to refresh the whole system would all be for naught if new blood couldn't join in and feel like they know what they are doing.

I do know that some of the villages were more militaristic in their views, while others were more peace loving. Perhaps that can frame the 'good vs. evil' outline. Certainly in this world more militaristic nations are considered evil by more peaceful nations in many cases.
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:00 am

True, familiarity could bring in new faces--not to mention our legion of quirkiness will certainly send them fleeing so that we may feast upon their forsaken characters--but what story arc of the canon would we use as perspective/referece if we went that route? I...

... I haven't even read/watched anything of Shippuden.

[/blush][/desu]

"What's the point in joining if...

...we have Mr. Half-Baked & Mr. Happy-Hour teaming up too?"
~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:06 am

Hmm... Well... If there were no Naruto, or if things even just went a little differently round the Chuunin exam plot, Suna and Konoha wouldn't be on friendly terms. Maybe that could work?
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:52 am

Rai wrote:2 villages (3 with the NPC one) have any number of possibilities as to why they are competing against one another. no more village per country means that each village would be willing to take contracts from any country

This here might be the key.

We simply shift that the world has gone through a cultural shift in terms of warfare. Maintaining and operating your own army is extremely costly, and the bloodshed that has been seen in the great wars has turned most people off to conflict at all. Of course, some things must still be decided by force, and protective services are still required for outlaws, so two shinobi villages have survived to provide these things. When countries have conflicts with each other, it's more a matter of proxy wars and who can hire the best mercs.

In fact, a large part of world history had wars like this. It wasn't until Napoleon in the early 1800s that you started having large, consistent national armies.

We could have one village be essentially "SUPER NEUTRAL" in the sense that they take any contract and don't care who is doing what on the large political scale. They assassinated an ambassador on behalf of Snow Country two days ago? Okay. Now they're supposed to kill the person who just hired them? Sure, why not. They only interfere with politics if they are threatened themselves.

The other village could be more culturally hegemonic, in the sense that they only support people or ideas that they approve of. I suppose it would operate a little bit more traditionally, with a Kage who sets a tone and goal for that village with ideals they want to protect. That might not get them as much work, but perhaps they have very powerful patrons.

This paints the conflict between the two as being not necessarily good or evil, but one of TOTAL FREEDOM vs ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITY, both of which have their light and dark points.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Oddric » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:24 pm

ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Oddric wrote:ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

I lol'd

---

I have to agree that the 2 pc villages and 1 npc village seems the most promising when it comes to providing long term sustainability.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:26 pm

I can get down with those themes.
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Rai » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Tsuneo wrote:We simply shift that the world has gone through a cultural shift in terms of warfare. Maintaining and operating your own army is extremely costly, and the bloodshed that has been seen in the great wars has turned most people off to conflict at all. Of course, some things must still be decided by force, and protective services are still required for outlaws, so two shinobi villages have survived to provide these things. When countries have conflicts with each other, it's more a matter of proxy wars and who can hire the best mercs.

No more village per country could also have interesting repercussions on the world as well, speaking about standing armies, when you have fewer villages to choose from than there are nations in need, i would imagine a number of countries, especially smaller ones likely to loose any bidding war for Shinobi services might opt for standing armies, even if small. Shinobi villages would still be the go to force for most actions in the hopes of not directly implicating the one hiring them and to avoid conflicts reaching full scale wars, but it would none the less introduce a new dynamic and any number of new potential scenarios for RPs.
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Hanya » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:01 pm

I think a good setup would be...

" With the collapse of the shinobi world as they knew it, the countries were forced to find new ways of defending themselves, many turning to new technologies and military might. In the face of this new system, what remained of the shinobi way found itself dying off, both figuratively and literally. Still, for some, the old ways were the best, and where military might was impressive, one domino can still topple a masterpiece. To that end, a few remnants of the old way have banded together, forming (X Amount) villages, truly hidden, and only available to those who know how to find them. Each village has different strengths, weaknesses, and ideals, but they all have one thing in common...

They are shinobi."

And from there you could set up however many villages you want, align them however, and have them have a real purpose. Not just good vs evil, but survival vs extinction. One village indeed may be more open, taking any and every job, but that causes them to come under more threats from people that distrust shinobi. The other could be more secretive, and maybe more brutal, lending to the distrust people have about shinobi, but also securing their usefulness in situations where all out war is just too risky/ costly/ resource consuming.

Maybe a small village wants a piece of tech, or some information from a bigger village so they hire a shinobi to do it for them, maybe the larger village is having a problem with information thieves so they hire a shinobi to protect them, since who knows how to defend from a thief better than a thief.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Player's Lounge