POLL: What two villages?

A useful place to post non spammed topics that relate to the site, or anything else of more sober interest.

Re: POLL: What two villages?

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:40 pm

I see two issues with a mercenary village that will do any country's bidding--specifically the village's star assassins, or any player character:

Ly the first, I believe political grudges permeate nation-state governments a little more than what is assumed of an ideally unbiased ruling system, and considering the constant power struggles of family clans, plus the feudal-age setting of the Naruto canon, there's high likelihood of "hard feelings." After how many national-security missions ran by one agency (or the highly discernible "star assassins" we play) for countries at war with each other do they start getting pissed off at the trigger man?
E.G.:
Spoiler:
My Shinobi-chan from Mercenarigakure gets hired by Beanbag Nation to assassinate Badguymaru, a traitor that fled to Barstool Country with secrets. My Shinobi-chan character uses Ketchup-jutsu and I roll the dice well, succeeding in my fight by drowning Badguymaru in ketchup. Yay me!

Well, Barstool Country didn't get their secrets yet, after they paid millions in aiding his escape from Beanbag Nation, and maybe Badguymaru was a traitorous dick but he was the eldest son of the Partridge Clan, so now Barstool Country and Shirley Partridge are mightily miffed with Mercenarigakure; or, if they deny involvement, the ninja leaving a tasty tomato-y trail back to the federation of flip-flop. Shirley Partridge is probably pissed at Barstool Country for even hiring the condiment assassin too, and she's super-rich from her family's traveling roadshow and super-powerful with her ear-erupting voice-jutsu. Maybe the political structure crumbles from her influence, maybe her influence compels them to declare a national enemy; at any rate, Shinobi-chan and possibly Mercenarigakure are a little less popular with at least one client nation.

Bygones could be bygones; we could establish that the countries accept these events as the way things are, but what if Badguymaru was actually Phy's favorite character? His loss was because of a few lousy rolls, and maybe his beloved pop-singer ninja wasn't killed by ketchup but it still was frustratingly unlucky, not to mention Shinobi-chan's been talking shit on Badguymaru ever since. Similarly, that might create some IC/OC tension.

Ly the second, and supported by the above, I believe unquestionable loyalty is worth more to any self-preserving organization over proven efficiency. Who wants to hire Irony-kun to handle top-secret affairs involving a national enemy with no guarantee he's already running an espionage mission for that enemy? It's true this is something that happens in the real world all the time, and since a "conflict of interest" agreement is as certain with ninja as it is in the real world, it seems inevitable that Mercenarigakure would eventually be bought by the highest bidding sovereignty as a personal army, or dismantled by influence.

This has be a public announcement from the Tsuuki Pointless Argument Broadcast System.

"What's the point in joining if...

...we have Mr. Half-Baked & Mr. Happy-Hour teaming up too?"
~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:07 am

I mean, being a STAR ASSASSIN is something up to us. There's no reason the client has to know who was assigned to what, unless that character is oddly flashy. Sure shinobi might be famous within their communities, but outside of that who knows. Anyway, besides the point.

Those things could happen, sure. And maybe they should. I'm not looking into making static villages that never change, I just need to make sure that the villages remain OPPOSITIONAL. One problem from the old days is that everyone was pretty much allied with each other, and if a new village was created to try and fight them, there was no way to do it.

Keeping them OPPOSITIOAL is the job of the rules and the motivation to win, through the ways the victories are assigned and gained. The details of how those villages exist is going to mostly rest on the KAGES.

I see the reset working like this:

I would be the "GM", basically operating Suna and serving as the judge for the village conflicts and assigning how victories are achieved, etc. Trying to keep the game moving throughout what I'm calling SEASON 1, and trying to keep the fun going.

Two Kages would be assigned. It would be up to them to run the village stuff, like deciding how they want to react to each other, interact with the countries, creating teams, etc.

For each village, the Kage would be allowed to assign ONE JOUNIN, and TWO CHUUNIN for starters, just to get teams up and running. Everyone else would have to start with GENIN characters.

With this basic oppositional village set up and the rest in the hands of the Kages, I think the rest of the game can run smooth, just so long as everyone keeps it competitive while enjoying themselves.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 am

Works for me, I really have no hang-ups here that need satisfaction. I'm just tossing lightning around in this brainstorm :) I say the simplest and clearest way for two factions to remain competitive is not to give them different goals, but the exact same goal with the means for only one to achieve it (forgive me if this was already touched upon).

If we're thrusting the setting a few generations forward, perhaps legends of a seal containing the nine bijuu (or an immensely powerful single demon) and the rumors of its location have caused an unbalance within a power-locked superiority race of competing villages.

If, as discussed, the villages really are just self-sustaining mercenary armies (a military with family and livelihoods that travel with them), we could sorta just piggyback on feudal conflicts of Japanese and Chinese history: there's an Emperor whose power/authority is unquestioned, but his lands are divided among lords who are all vying to be the "favorite child," usually by demonstrating the most loyalty and martial prowess. The setting of our story could be in such a "united" land with villages, once again covert and hidden, fighting a clandestine war to be the only army of the Emperor. This premise could add an additional stipulation to prevent some players from insisting on flashy, epic-level powers, and once its arc has been run stale, Act II is the newly appointed Imperial Army's fight war against a foreign entity (in which new characters and new rules can be tried out).

Or, let's just keep it simpler and add a little edge to the new system while using a historic classic: Let's make up a resource, like rainbow crystals that enhance chakra or something, and which any ninja-based entity would absolutely desire. To make our players also want it, we translate the crystal powers to something like adding +1 to your desired combat roll. Now: greatly restrict the opportunity and access to these crystals, allowing equal chance but only one victor to receive the reward.

Mmm, resource-spurred war, just like momma used to make.

~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Rai » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:29 pm

Hmm how far ahead of a skip are we talking about? I admit that I've always had difficulty creating new characters, I just can never seem to get into them. Wouldn't their be a way to incorporate existing ones?
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:30 pm

^ This I have to wonder as well.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Physalis |0083| » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:54 pm

If it hasn't been said. (Simply because I don't feel like reading through everything just yet)

What about the concept of everything being about a single Country? And instead of a "War between Countries" story. The story be more about two villages fighting for the right to be the main village of the country?

I think it was touched on before either on here or in the story. But basically two villages vying for the seal of approval from the Diamyo.

Spoiler:
BECAUSE
I'M HAPPY

Tsuuki wrote:I took the Fluoxetine, not for the wounds but so I won't give a shit when I sneak past the person trapped in the car.

Since Youtube has so deemed it to be a travesty to host this video on it's site. I give you this link to enjoy this beautiful piece of artwork.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82733824/
http://gifsound.com/?gif=replygif.net/i ... CLoZ2Q&s=3
Physalis |0083|
▷0083◁
▷0083◁

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Physalis |0083| wrote:If it hasn't been said. (Simply because I don't feel like reading through everything just yet)

What about the concept of everything being about a single Country? And instead of a "War between Countries" story. The story be more about two villages fighting for the right to be the main village of the country?

I think it was touched on before either on here or in the story. But basically two villages vying for the seal of approval from the Diamyo.

I didn't scour for previous instances myself but I too suggested the same thing, only with a Emperor with countries instead of a Daimyo with villages--your scenario is definitely simpler.

~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Tsuuki: Oh a resource run is cool. We can incorporate that no matter what we go with.

Phy: That's pretty brilliant, actually. I like the simplicity of it and it would be an interesting way to see if this new reboot has any legs.

Brera/Rai: My stance on continuity is pretty fluid. I wouldn't care if people rebooted thier characters without any explanation as to why. I was gonna pretty much do that with Hana. No explanation, just time wound it back.

The true problem with that is power inflation. If you're looking to try and carry over Jounins it's gonna make the balance tricky because everyone will want to bring their favorite super gun with them. The best case scenrario for that would be to have the Kages pick your old ranked characters as one of the allowed Jounin or Chuunin. It keeps the balance fair and lets you keep your character. That would mean most people wouldn't be allowed to do the same thing, but I think if this is going to have a real shot it has to be a major reset, not just another bandaid kickstart.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:35 pm

Well Tsu, Hana DID (semi-)recently enter a reboot topic with Supaiku and Tsuuki, why don't we use that for our starting points :)

~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Go pull the Irishman out of his bottle first.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Y'all know me.
Know how I spend my livin'.
I'll catch this bloke for you, but it ain't gonna be easy.
Bad fellow.
Not like going this side o' the pond chasin' Yamas and Physali.
This sonnuvabitch, drink you under the table.
Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go.
And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your veteran players, put all your moderators on a payin' basis.
But it's not gonna be pleasant.
I value my freetime a lot more than three thousand pats on the back, chief.
I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and get him interested in the new system, for ten.
But you've gotta make up your mind.
If you want to stay alive, then ante up.
If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole summer.
I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island.
$10,000 for me by myself.
For that you get the head,
the tail,
the whole damn thing.

Spoiler:
Why yes I am, quite.

~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:30 am

*bounces in anticipation*
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Rai » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:15 pm

2 things i’d like to just throw in, I like the village competition thing, seasons, and missions/War setup. It was probably our biggest mistake year’s back when we were trying to come up with ways to breathe life back into the site that we changed so many things yet never really paid attention to what had made the old site so lively, the events, missions, competitions between villages. Rather than build these up we had every village become its own island, with its own disconnected story line that overlapped with each other less and less, and which also was geared a bit too heavily towards the veteran members and too little on what attracts new members to not only join but stay. Obviously Naruto’s popularity has dwindled over the years, the novelty of it worn down, but plenty of sites still bring in and keep plenty of new members while NC does not, a large part of that was our own fault due to the shear amount of stuff we tore down, I remember when i first joined on the old site, the ANBU was something they had regular tryouts for, that people had to risk their characters for as if they failed the exam their characters died, yet people still jumped for it enthusiastically, eventually we turned that into Kage’s choose members, which of course were always veterans, so new members couldn’t even at least try out, and eventually we got rid of ANBU all together in most villages because old members didn’t care about it anymore, but it was still something fun for new members and should have been kept if only for their sake and attracting them in. Some new guy coming off of reading the manga or watching the show came looking to role play in that world, found NC, joined, then found it wasn’t remotely the world he was looking for and to add to the problem we offered him too little actual incentive to stay.

In the olden days we had structured villages, tournaments, wars, teams, missions and a whole list of other things that acted as an easy in for new members, it gave them something to aim for and RP until they managed to flesh out their characters enough and know the site enough to start moving into their own story lines, and honestly it was fun. But that disappeared, and with it fewer and fewer new members stuck around for any length of time. This in turn hurt old members as well, as more and more of us moved on, it left fewer people to RP with and a drought of new members and ideas coming it. New people looking to RP in a Naruto setting went elsewhere. The result being that sites that NC used to dwarf keep rolling at the very least to some extent while NC has all but died off.

That long winded wall of words done, i think bringing back the village structure is a great idea, as well as the whole war/missions/Spying stuff. It’ll be fun for alot of the old members and something to offer to new members trying to get into NC.

That said... please please please don’t completely close off the door to existing characters. **shakes fist menacingly!**

I understand and agree that having a bunch of jounin and S ranked characters signing up on these new village missions would most likely make it more difficult to keep these missions balanced especially as this just starts to get rolling. But! They can play a role. Such characters could become part of the story, background characters, targets of a mission, obstacles to overcome, in essence playing an NPC role that can add new dimensions to the kinds of missions these villages take part in, in many ways how we had planned to have the Akatsuki when we discussed it years back and brought it to the admins in the old site, or better yet what Ibaku the character became. They add to the story, but they are not the “heroes” of it. It would also let players wanting to keep playing their old characters take part in “non official” village RP and such, and could always be used when something big needs to happen to get these new characters pumped up, especially during events. I could see a good number of older more experienced Shinobi choosing not to join or recognise these villages, causing them problems and thus creating a new possibility in mission types for village players.

Anyways.... Pleaaaase! **Shakes fist even harder!**
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:15 am

The potential compromise here is that we can allow the old characters, but limit any potential war participants to my original 1 Kage, 1 Jounin, 2 Chuunin rules. That would keep everything balanced and let the Kages choose which of their old Jounin to use.

I don't have any issues letting anyone else do whatever they want outside of the Village Competition. Make an 11 tail demon for all I care, I just want to make sure that the competition side of it is balanced. Part of the old problems you're talking about, with everything being limited to site veterans, came from the silly ooc cold war that existed. Konoha did everything it could to stockpile strong characters and strong writers on its side, so that even if others wanted to challenge it, there was no way to do it.

You're right, Ibaku was the only one who was able to make that transition from good to bad and actually be DANGEROUS about it, because he had spent so much time on the good side and accumulated so much power that there was nothing anyone could "undo."

So I guess so long as the war doesn't end up with thirty old Jounin transfers on one side and none on the other, the balance is fair.

I'm not anticipating a war for season one anyway, but who knows what our Kages will decide to do.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Rai » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:24 pm

Sounds good.
Rai
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Player's Lounge