UPDATES and questions!

Do you have a question on the system? Do you have an idea to make it better? Post here! Good ideas come from everywhere, don't be shy.

UPDATES and questions!

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience bearing all the problems with the board, and super-thanks to Phy for fixing them! Phy-guy, always reliable.

So, LOTS of work going on behind the scenes, so thought I'd post a few notable things.

- Our KAGES are working on their new villages and they are quite promising and interesting.
- Tsuuki and I are constructing a lot of world-building things that are coming along.
- Ryuuchi has been a HUGE part of testing out and fleshing out the combat system, so another super-thanks to him!
- All of the tests are available for public view, so feel free to poke around and see how they're going.
- "Story RPing" will not be going away. It will still be part of the "official" part of the board, so if you really prefer that style, worry not!

The systems are still being tested and tweaked with a lot of things still in the works and a lot of questions up in the air. That being said, I'm curious as to your opinion about randomness, and the two types you can have when you have a game.

The two types are Input Randomness and Output Randomness.

Input Randomness is when you are given a random set of choices. Think of most games that use cards where you have to draw, like Magic the Gathering, or even something as simple as Uno or Go Fish. You draw the card, not knowing what card you will get. Then you look at your cards, weigh your options, and make a decision based upon that randomness.

Output Randomness is when you have complete control of the options, but are uncertain how the results will be. Rolling dice is output randomness. In the systems we are testing, you can ATTEMPT whatever you feel like, but you don't know if it works until AFTER you roll the dice.

Both are of course, random, and both can have mechanisms that control the amount of randomness involved.

Still, each one is a little different so I'm asking you now: what do you prefer? Why? Maybe it's both, and maybe you like them for different reasons. This is just a discussion, and I want to hear any willing voice.
Tsuneo
Old Man

Re: UPDATES and questions!

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:43 pm

I feel like output randomness suits the playstyle that NC currently lends itself to the most; I don't like the idea of being restricted to what kind of moves I can use at any one given time based on a random set of circumstances.I would rather have all of my options open to me, and have it be somewhat random whether what I attempt is successful.

I like the free-form approach, at least for this.
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Sliv » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:35 am

I prefer output randomness, simply because it feels like there is a little more control over it than input. Either of them sound adaptable however, so it wouldn't be a major difference to me either way.
Sliv

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 am

ERTPURT

"What's the point in joining if...

...we have Mr. Half-Baked & Mr. Happy-Hour teaming up too?"
~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Oddric » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:09 am

I sort of like input, if I had to choose one over the other. Thinking about it in a role playing sense, you sometimes have to just play with the cards you're given in a fight. I think a mix of output and input would be best, though.

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Yeah I think a lot of people are misinterpreting Input Randomness.

For lack of a better mechanic for online, let's say you rolled your d20 IN ADVANCE. So you're in a battle, and you do like...I dunno, 5. So your next 5 actions must be based on those rolls.

Let's say that two of them failed, two of them passed, and one was a crit success. You could then roleplay out your battle with those things in mind, taking the failures where you think it would hurt you less and using the successes where they would benefit you the most.

I think some people that are a little nervous about the randomness of output would actually prefer it.
Tsuneo
Old Man

Return to Questions and Ideas