Keeping it Simple

Do you have a question on the system? Do you have an idea to make it better? Post here! Good ideas come from everywhere, don't be shy.

Keeping it Simple

PostPosted by Sliv » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 pm

We should keep things simple this time around. The battle modifying and everything is great. But layout is important. By layout I mean how the village forums appear. I feel like its beneficial to have something that is going to be easy on the eyes. For example going back to our roots with the layout seems like a good way to not over-complicate things. The original layout was super simple, you basically had five forums per village. First you the Office, where announcements, rosters, and other things that had to do with OOC development was held. Then you have the Teams board, where you can find teams, see other teams, recruit etc. (perhaps not as important with such little participation). Next was the missions board which quite simply held mission topics. This would be a nice way to keep organized (if there was a reward system implemented for completing missions, which could also fall into the village competing with one another). Finally you had an RP Board. An RP board holds all the various rp threads, where a majority of the action occurs. Rather than shuffling through 10-11 boards with various locations, setting types, an open board allows the creativity of the writers to open it up to whichever location they want, while still keeping things simple and organized. Just a thought for the revamp. Anyone up to discuss it more?
Sliv

Re: Keeping it Simple

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:14 am

well, we're cutitng it down to two villages, which should already keep it simpler. I think I'm envisioning three boards per village: HQ and Academy, the village, and the outer lands surrounding it. They can be used for both OOC and IC coordination, with HQ and Academy being MOSTLY for teams and announcements, etc., but also a place to RP the political movements of things. Most of the missions will hten take place in the Village or the Outer Lands.

You're right, this was way overly organized. But to be a little bit fair to Kipper, we did have a LOT more action when this board was made.
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Sliv » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Ah good. Glad to see were moving back to a simpler style. Yeah, this board was awesome when it first started, because it was hopping, and we weren't to worried about new members. We really did evolve the site through innovation and roleplay. It can just be a bit daunting for new members now.
Sliv

PostPosted by Hanya » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:20 am

Thats exactly the idea I was going for. An administrative board (announcements, team posting, questions, things like that) A village board ( various "hot" locations, and general village shenanigans), and the main country, of course where other missions happen, but also where you interact with people from the other villages.

My only concern is wanderers. I remember we fought so hard for them way back when, which was how... Kiri? got started in the first place.... but with the amount of people we have, having a wanderer system will definitely affect the village activity.
Hanya
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:14 am

Hanya wrote:My only concern is wanderers. I remember we fought so hard for them way back when, which was how... Kiri? got started in the first place.... but with the amount of people we have, having a wanderer system will definitely affect the village activity.

That's a good point. Has their been much thought on wanderers? Some might decide to settle in a village...how that transition would work.No clue.Up to kages to decide i'd imagine. Maybe this could be done through a series of test or missions or something? Or will we be allowed to stay wanderers and have limited interaction with the 2 pc villages or be more aligned to the npc village?

Just spitballing here =P
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Mr.Malo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Yeah, a more compact board would definitely be nice. I don't see why wanderers wouldn't be wandering about still; it'll be cool to have one character than can experience both villages. As I understand it they are drastically different from each other.
Mr.Malo

PostPosted by Sliv » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:42 pm

My thought on wanderers is that they aren't necessary. With two villages and so few members currently about, I think forcing people into the villages would be more beneficial to the environment.
Sliv

PostPosted by Brera » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:24 pm

Interesting. I can see it going both ways. Both have their positives and negatives. While it might help promote village activity, having no wanderers might also rub some the wrong way.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:26 am

A note on wanderers being necessary or not: Those old characters that would break the system and had so much loyalty to their old villages, why would they be forced into a village? Especially when the influx could throw off the general limitations for any official wars or missions. As I've said before, both Raika and Omoi will remain wanderers, just doing their own thing. And there's bound to be other characters that have enough problems with authority that they would never been able to ICly fit in a village without burning the place down.

Wanderers are still necessary, but they don't need to make up the majority.
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

PostPosted by Brera » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Have to agree with Raika, the idea of forcing existing characters into villages doesn't appeal to me either. Though I guess that brings up another question. Will we be retrofitting existing characters to the new system or is it going to be a clean slate. I know "story" rp'ing will always be a thing, so maybe it only matters when it comes to the "official" missions and events between villages?

I wouldn't be surprised if they already have an idea in mind though.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Spoiler:

*edit: my bad, huge gif :|

"What's the point in joining if...

...we have Mr. Half-Baked & Mr. Happy-Hour teaming up too?"
~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

PostPosted by Tsuneo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:52 pm

I have to admit you guys confuse me a little.

Everyone is worried about whether or not their old characters will fit into the new thing, and if they can be wanderers and continue their stories, etc. But nothing is stopping anyone from doing that right now. You neither need my help nor my permission to write the stories you want to write.

So why are you stressed out about it?
Tsuneo
Old Man

PostPosted by Oddric » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:13 pm

Tsuneo wrote:I have to admit you guys confuse me a little.

Everyone is worried about whether or not their old characters will fit into the new thing, and if they can be wanderers and continue their stories, etc. But nothing is stopping anyone from doing that right now. You neither need my help nor my permission to write the stories you want to write.

So why are you stressed out about it?

Rules, man! We've been governing ourselves so long! I'm also a bit timid for the new rules!

| Request Thread | Characters | Quotes |
"This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules; test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that past the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads, and question... everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours..."
-- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Oddric
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Tsuuki » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:01 pm

"What's the point in joining if...

...we have Mr. Half-Baked & Mr. Happy-Hour teaming up too?"
~ Ero-Kami

Tsuuki
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees

Return to Questions and Ideas