Graphics Class! #1: Simple Recoloring!

In this section you may post artwork, stories, anything of the like. Do not spam here, please. Keep all comments Constructive Criticism.

Graphics Class! #1: Simple Recoloring!

PostPosted by Klee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Well, people always ask me questions about how I do things, so I figured I'd start up a graphics class for those of you on NC ^^. I didn't put this in the classroom section because it's not related to RPing per se - even though I'll try to keep it relevent xD. Comments and critique are love. Also, large image warning. @_@. So click the spoiler tags to see the pictures :D

GRAPHICS CLASS!
#1: Simple Recoloring!

Ever had the best idea for an RP character? You've nailed every last detail of the profile - personality, history, looks. You've already thought up a million plots.

But you're one of those people who just can't start until you've got a picture to seal the deal. I'm one of those people - Being very visual myself, I find it much easier to RP when I have a clear view of my character. So you go hunting and hunting and hunting, for ages, facing Devaintart's tendency to make your stupid browser crash. Then finally you find one. It's perfect - the costume, the pose, the expression, the eyes.

Pity her hair is limegreen.

You've already written the looks out, or maybe your selected clan forces you to give her pink hair. It doesn't matter. Thanks to this horrid colour choice - your hopes and dreams. OR AT LEAST YOUR IMAGE - is all useless. GONE IN VAIN.

Ahem. Well look no further~ with just a little bit of photoshop, and the right tricks, you can quickly make this picture fit exactly what you're after - recoloring is incredibly easy!

--------

This tutorial is compatible with any of the most recent versions of Photoshop - and any other image editing program (Including Photoshop Elements) supporting layer adjustment tools and blending modes, but I wouldn't know. I use Photoshop CS3.

Spoiler:

1. Start out by opening your image. Any image is fine, pretty much, but it is also much easier if you use an image with no background; i.e, plain white, no scenery, etc. Simply because with a background, you're going to have to be more careful with your brushes. Still, if you have the patience another image will still do. Click here for a video guide I made a while ago about removing backgrounds from images, if you still want to. Other than this, there aren't any constraints on the making of your image for now.

2. Leave the background layer - the layer with the original image - as is. You can also place a lock on it via the layer options above the layers list, if you'd like to be safe, or duplicate the layer once so you'll always have a back-up copy in case you make a mistake. We're not at any point going to be directly modifying that layer. Every time we recolor a new part, or use a new color, we're going to create a new layer.

Spoiler:

There are many ways you can do this, Shift + Ctrl + N works, or just go Layer ---> New Layer. There's also a button at the bottom of the layers list. You're free to name the layer as you want, corrosponding to what part you're planning to recolor - in my case, the girl's hair.

3. Now, the first thing you'll need to do on /any/ of the new recolor layers is - with the layer selected - go to the Blending Modes list and select COLOR.

Spoiler:

I'll go into the Blending Modes in more detail in another class, but what the Color mode does is modify any lower layers to match the color of whatever is drawn on it. Did that not make sense? It doesn't have to. You'll see what I mean with the next step. Only apply this mode to the recoloring layers, not the base layers.

4. Now comes the magic part! With a color blending layer selected, go back to the brush tool, and select a soft edged brush with a brush size that matches the porportion of what you want to color - A large one for large areas, small for small areas - and then simply paint over the area you want to recolor.

Spoiler:

As you can see, the color of the image changes to match!

5. In the case of smaller strands, simply use a smaller brush, being careful not to overstep the lines. If you make a mistake, merely select the eraser tool and with a similar brush erase the offending areas.

Spoiler:

All this is done without touching the base layer, by working on the new layer each time. The good thing about working on a white background becomes clear here - the point being that white is white, and cannot be recolored using this technique, so you are free to overstep any lines into the white sections, as it won't harm your final result. You can be far more clumsy ;).

6. Now that I've finished recoloring the hair, I'm going to move on to recoloring the jacket. This is where you run into a problem (You may also run into this with other sections too) - in that, I want to create a /black/ leather jacket. The issue here is that painting over it on a color layer with a black brush is that it's simply going to turn the jacket grey, and keep the matte texture the jacket already has. It's not dark enough to achieve a stronger black. Thankfully, we can easily adjust this texture without affecting the main layer.

Spoiler:

To start out, we select the areas of the base image we want to change the texture of with the lasso tool. See the Youtube tutorial link posted above for more help with that if you need it.

7. Below the layers list, select the Adjustment Layers button, which is a half black, half white thing, and choose Brightness/Contrast. (Also can be done via Layer --> New Adjustment Layer --> Brightness/Contrast) - and make sure your desired area is still selected.

Spoiler:

Now a slider dialogue should pop up, and a new layer should create. This is an adjustment layer - what it does is adjust an aspect, in this case the brightness and contrast, of all the layers below it for a specific area. Because you've selected the area previously, it will already asign that section to the alpha, allowing it to be edited. In my case, I want a high contrasting texture, so I've adjusted the sliders accordingly. But the brightness function is also useful when you want to lighten and darken things - for example, turn blonde hair to a chocolate color, or w/e. If the sliders max/min out without you getting quite the effect you needed, simply duplicate the B/C Adjustment layers and double click the slider icon to adjust these new layers accordingly.

8. Once you've done that, you're free to recolor the area as before, by creating a brand new normal layer and setting the blending mode to Color once again.

Spoiler:

As you can see, I've got a far more realistic leather effect. If in the course of coloring, you find that your B/C is too strong/weak, you can always go back and edit it on those layers - or remove it altogether - whilst not affecting the original picture.

9. Brightness and Contrast isn't the only thing you may find yourself needing to adjust however. In some cases, you may find a part of your image looking too bright - in that the color is too neon-ish, eyebleed-worthy etc - or too dull. This is changed by making a different type of adjustment layer called Hue/Saturation. As with the Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer, start out by selecting the area you want to change the color of. In my case, I found these eyes were too bright once I recolored them green. Now go to the adjustment layer selection, like before, and pick Hue/Saturation.

Spoiler:

10. Turn up/down the saturation slider, to adjust the colors accordingly.

Spoiler:

Towards the left is a much a duller color, and far right makes your eyes bleed. It's up to you though, whatever floats your boat xD.

11. When creating adjustment layers, sometimes you will find that the areas you want to change are too diverse to just select the whole thing, or maybe you just want to edit your original selection later. Whatever it is, you can do this by adjusting the Alpha of the adjustment layer. Here, I want to soften the skintone by using a brightness/contrast effect, but actually selecting all the skin would be tedious.

The Alpha is basically the black and white blob thing on the right of the adjustment layer on the list. This is actually a mask that denotes what is affected by the changes given by the sliders to the left. A white area denotes a changed area, a black no change. A gray would be a half change - the darker, the slighter. By clicking on the alpha, you can then use white and black brushes to paint the areas you want to invoke the adjustment changes on.

Spoiler:

When you create a selection prior to making a brightness contrast layer, it automatically asigns these areas for you.

12. After some time and practice, you'll be set to recolor /everything/.

Spoiler:

It's really highly advised that you create a new layer for every color/adjustment/section you do. This just makes editing in the end alot more flexible. Also note that the COLOR blending mode changes the color of /everything/ below it to the color you've selected, not mixes. What this means is that if you color an area yellow on one color layer, and then on another one go over it all with red, everything will become red, not orange. So use this to your advantage and stack layers on top of each other in a way that allows you be more flexible!

13. One final tip; sometimes adjusting brightness and contrast and duplicating these layers creates an ugly noise around your image that causes it to look really obvious that it's been recolored when using images with a white background.

Spoiler:

It's a good idea to clean this up by simply grabbing a normal white brush, and on your uppermost layer, paint over any noise (This time settting the blending mode to normal xD), and make the image look clean!

Spoiler:

14. And there you have it, complete! I went from...

Image to Image

...all using these techniques. It takes some practice, but in the end, it's relatively simple, and (IMO) important to know when editing images for RP - and many other purposes, I'm sure. So good luck recoloring!

----

Any further questions just post, and I'll answer to the best of my ability xD. Yes, I'm fully aware that there are other ways to do this, but I'm an idiot and I make alot of mistakes, so this way allows me to always just erase those without at all affecting the original - so that's why I taught this method :3. Hope it's good, it's my first time making something like this LOL. Also suggest if there's anything else you want me to make a tutorial on.
Last edited by Klee on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Black and white is boring, use as many colors as possible! - TEAMDYS

Klee

Re: Graphics Class! #1: Simple Recoloring!

PostPosted by Spike » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:31 pm

I love you and your crazy colour schemes.

If you fall down seven times, stand up eight.
It isn't a matter of life or death, it's about what breaks first; your will or the barriers in your way.

Spike
The Daftpunk [Who the hell do you think I am?]

PostPosted by Physalis |0083| » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:00 pm

I noticed that Klee has the habit of making everything really brigh/whited out.

Spoiler:
BECAUSE
I'M HAPPY

Tsuuki wrote:I took the Fluoxetine, not for the wounds but so I won't give a shit when I sneak past the person trapped in the car.

Since Youtube has so deemed it to be a travesty to host this video on it's site. I give you this link to enjoy this beautiful piece of artwork.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82733824/
http://gifsound.com/?gif=replygif.net/i ... CLoZ2Q&s=3
Physalis |0083|
▷0083◁
▷0083◁

PostPosted by RikuX » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:30 pm

If only I had photoshop. Anyway Nice tutorial. Thanks.
RikuX

PostPosted by carcinoGeneticist » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:37 pm

I'll have to try all of this...later. Doing physical painting at the moment, stupid graduation project.
Thanks for the awesome tutorial!
Push your care, push your burdens aside, erase everything inside and leave just one thing on your mind.
You only live once, so just go f.ucking nuts.
RIP Okinami - RIP Shadow
carcinoGeneticist
The Lightning Master
The Lightning Master

PostPosted by Estatica » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Fluro green bra and stockings?
Black leather bandanna?
Pink hair with green eyes?
You have a strange colour scheme. 0.o'
:: Creations ::
Estatica
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

PostPosted by Physalis |0083| » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:08 pm

She's inspired by Arty.

Spoiler:
BECAUSE
I'M HAPPY

Tsuuki wrote:I took the Fluoxetine, not for the wounds but so I won't give a shit when I sneak past the person trapped in the car.

Since Youtube has so deemed it to be a travesty to host this video on it's site. I give you this link to enjoy this beautiful piece of artwork.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82733824/
http://gifsound.com/?gif=replygif.net/i ... CLoZ2Q&s=3
Physalis |0083|
▷0083◁
▷0083◁

PostPosted by Shadow » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:17 am

Physalis |0083| wrote:She's inspired by Arty.

LOL
"The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days..." ~ Sheik
"It is something that grows over time... a true friendship. A feeling in the heart that becomes even stronger over time. The passion of friendship will soon blossom into a righteous power and through it, you will know which way to go... This song is dedicated to the power of the heart." ~ Sheik
Shadow
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

PostPosted by Brera » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:13 am

*sigh* I've had photoshop for like 3 years now, and never knew how to do this.
TY for tutorial xD *runs to try it out*

Edit: I have been recoloring things for like and hour now xD lol. think i kinda got the hang of it.
Brera
Site Veteran
Site Veteran

Return to Arts & Talents