You do not sink in black water.

The open land between civilization. Deserts, forests, volcanoes, canyons, rivers, rails. Have a good journey.

You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by shuu » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:59 pm

"You do not sink in black water. You are eaten by it."
Such has been said about the mysterious and even moreso rare lake within the Web of Amida. While not truly being a lake, the Swamp itself is known to house far and inbetween pools and puddles of sinister and evil liquid. This liquid, for all purposes, acts exactly like water, save for the fact it is as opaque as tar and not able to be controlled by man, through jutsu or otherwise. It is rare for someone to actually see it in person- it is often imitated and feared in the same level as quick sand. It is said that those who are submerged with it however, never arise again, and that those soaked with it go insane.

That being said, skeletons have been found littering the areas around these pools and puddles, and even stranger are the fact the skeletons are black, as if dyed so with the darkest dyes possible, but not so by the water.

A small tribe of wandering nomads exist in the most southern edges of the Swamp - your mission from the Mizukage is simple. Take their skeletons, by force, and drop them into the pools, the more the merrier.

You have 18 posts to your task.
ouch lol
User avatar
shuu
d
d
 
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm
Location: outie 3'thou.
Gender: Male

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Yuzuki grabbed her nose as she stood on the edge of the swamp, the entire places smelled like sulfur. The sun was just raising over the horizon and the idea of eggs had never felt so wrong. Using her free hand she felt over the equipment she had brought along for the mission to make sure she did not lose anything in the transit to the swamp. Beside her on an adjacent branch was a huge bird which she had become very found of in her years of travel.

Mission equipment.
10 Kunai
one roll of 10 exploding tags
one roll of 100 feet of ninja wire
one breath mask
one large medical bag
one set of mundane camping supplies with food and water for three days.

“Come on Tori let's see what we can find.”

Yuzuki leaped off the branch and onto the birds back as it took flight over the swamp. The bird flapped its wings heavily to build up speed and then began lazily soaring over the massive swamp. Yuzuki kept her eyes pealed for a collection of skeletons that had been reported in the area. The hope that these skeletons were not the kind that got up and killed people kept crossing her mind as it became apparent to her that she put far too much faith in urban legends.
Last edited by Yukikitsune on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Soaring over the swamp Yuzuki directed Tori to set down near a small clearing around a shallow pool. Taking her leave of the bird Yuzuki dropped to one knew at the edge of the water. Her right hand holding her nose as she reached her hand into the water pulling out what looked to be a solid black bone.

“This is probably the most disgusting clean up assignment I have ever been given.”

Yuzuki placed the bone to her side and pulled open her medical bag, placing the bone inside before reaching her hand in once more to continue the job of removing the long dead skeleton from the waters edge. From her position she could count three skeletons in this small pool alone. Either some sick ritual or some interesting happenstance had to cause these bones to get her, most likely related to the tribe of nomads that were reported in the southern edge of the swamp.

Hopefully she would be able to get most of the bones out of the swamp before she made her way south to try and confront the tribesmen about their own collection of bones, but getting things to go her way on missions had never been a real possibility. Yuzuki was still a bit squeamish around the bones as it was and to have to fight a tribe of people to take bones they had been collecting seemed like not only a bad idea but one she did not feel she was ready for at the moment.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Placing the last of the skulls in a medical bag Yuzuki closed the bag and lugged it over her shoulder. Taking one last look into the pool Yuzuki hoped that there was nothing left. She had spent more then an hour sifting through the disgusting water of the swamp picking up bones and other not so desirable things while breathing in one of the most repulsive stenches she had ever had the privilege of gagging on for more then a few hours.

Finishing her look over Yuzuki looked up and smiled at her companion as it twisted it's head to the side and let out a squawk. Forming a tiger seal she unsummoned her pet, there was no reason to keep him around in this horrid environment. It was better that she dealt with the pain alone instead of inflicting the same pain on him just because she had too endure it.

With the bag in toe Yuzuki tossed herself up a tree and began to follow the waters edge in search for more bones in small offshoots of the main swamp. With no other way to search for them other then to search each section of the swamp one after the other this would take some time to get to her final destination. Luckily for her there were more then enough tar pits between her current position and the southern parts which were rumored to be populated with the tribes she was here to steal from.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:14 pm

After hours of searching and several more hours of sifting through some of the most polluted water Yuzuki had ever seen she finally found a suitable place to bed down and rest for the night. She had gotten rid of about ten full skeletons, or at least the parts of the ten that she could find in the murky water of the swamp. Each of them had been dumped into a large tar pit that was formed in a alcove no more then a hundred meters from the makeshift camp that Yuzuki had set up to bed down for the night.

She chose to stay in the trees, out of reach of several poisonous creatures that crawled along the swamp foliage at night. She had already cleared herself a comfortable place to doze off and had already rid it of a rather large snake which caught her by surprise when she started to set up her small shelter. The swamp was not her favorite place to begin with and every so often it would become even more hated as she discovered hidden parts of the murky and polluted water that made her rear in disgust.

As the sun began to set on her first day trying to clean up a rather perpendicular mess Yuzuki's eyes slowly closed and for a short period of time she found comfort in her small campsite and the warmth of her travel bag. She had slowly built up an immunity to the smell of the swamp and other then the constant reminder of the smell of bad eggs Yuzuki was beginning to accept the bad air and move on with her task at hand.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:15 pm

The crickets in the swamp awoke Yuzuki late into the night. It was hard for her to sleep between the loud chirping of the little insects and the idea that one of the skeletons was going to come to life and eat her brain. Or whatever skeletons do in horror movies that is. After several hours the constant strain of noise was finally enough, it had become to hard to sleep in this horrible place. Yuzuki was used to sleeping outside but there was no hope of getting rest in this horrible place.

Yuzuki compared it to hell in her mind. The idea that a group of people could live in such a place was beyond her. Yuzuki pulled the bedroll off her body and began packing it away, it was still far too late and she had gotten no more then a few hours of sleep before the swamp erupted into a giant orchestra of nocturnal critters that felt they had the personal responsibility to keep her from getting a wink more of sleep.

It was the moment her bed roll was placed in its pack that Yuzuki noticed something possibly extremely disturbing. The noise in the forest almost completely stopped. It went from one of the loudest nights of her life to one of the quietest. Yuzuki froze, was it possible that she was the reason that the noise stopped, she was making almost no noise and was yet to leave her small tarp awning that covered her from rain and snakes lurking in branches above. No it couldn't have been here. That meant that something else had to be near by, something that Yuzuki was not able to since yet. Yuzuki swallowed hard as she tried not to make a single noise. Her heartbeat began to pound in her ears as she held her breath in hopes that it was simply a large cat or crocodile, something that would pass without incident.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Yuzuki twitched suddenly as a loud crash collapsed her tend sending her flying out into the open canape of the trees and landing in plan view of what looked to be several dead bodies with seals covering their decrepit skin. Yuzuki's face went to one of pure horror, the flesh of these bodies were torn and burnt as if they have been touched before they become the abominations that stood before her. Yuzuki almost slipped from her tree, her mind went to pure horror as one of the fleshy human like monsters leaped into the air.

In it's hand it had a strait sword which seemed rusted and decrepit. The flesh monster moved with an almost unreal speed, its sword aiming to impale the young ninja as it bolted towards her. Yuzuki dug her foot into the branch and fell backwards pivoting her body upside down hanging from the tree as the beast flew over the branch and blowing a hole threw the trunk with its powerful attack.
The corpse turned towards the girl pulling its blade from the tree and swinging it down towards her feet.

Yuzuki quickly pushed off the base of the tree, somersaulting to the ground to avoid the attack and then changing directions to a full sprint away from the creature. The corpse simply reared its momentum forward following the ninja attempting to cut off her escape with its unnatural speed. Yuzuki glanced back for a second watching as the abomination was beginning to catch up.

Quickly turning her head forward Yuzuki skidded to a halt as another corpse landed in front of her with a huge ax. Quickly redirecting herself to her right Yuzuki ducked under the blade of the ax as it swung itself at waist level attempting to cut her in half before running up the side of a tree and springing towards the edge of the water. It was obvious she was going to have to fight these things so she had to find a way to get them into an opening to use the full power of her Jutsu.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:04 am

Yuzuki planted her feet firmly on the water in the center of a large opening in the swamp. Her body swung around taking a fighting pose but her eyes still held the same fear that she was unable to shake. The two corpses slowly made their way out into the water. They walked along it just as a ninja would. This made things harder, these were apparently some sort of trap she had set off, or perhaps some form of weird twisted jutsu she had never heard of before.

Pulling her right hand out in front of her body Yuzuki tried to breath calmly but still couldn't focus on her enemy, after all they were the stuff Yuzuki would have nightmares about. She never thought for one moment something like this would be standing in front of her as a real foe.

The two corpses slowly began to walk around Yuzuki, each trying to get to the other side to ensure that they would have the ability to flash the girl. Now they were thinking, great. Yuzuki pulled her left hand into one of her tool kits, quickly removing one of her exploding tags from the roll and allowing the two to take to each side. For the first time since they showed themselves Yuzuki felt as if she had the advantage. They made be able to think but they hopefully did not have the same amount of experience she had in fights.

Each of the corpses continued to stalk until they had her flanked, giving themselves a second to do what appeared to be preparing they began to charge. They seemed somewhat slower then last time but this would not stop her from simply jumping out of the way and allowing them to face off against an exploding tag she had already prepared. Yuzuki allowed her knees to bend getting ready to jump out of the way when at the last moment two decrepit hands reached up from under the water and latched onto her legs.

Yuzuki quickly stared down to find a set of empty eye sockets looking directly up at her through the murky water. They had not been taking their time to prepare themselves, they were waiting for a third to sneak up underneath her. Yuzuki shot her eyes back and forth at the two charging her. She had to think quickly or she was going to end up looking like the monsters attacking her.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:42 am

Yuzuki quickly dove her hands into her pockets pulling out a large number of kunai. Forcing her chakra into her feet she ripped her legs from the corpse holding her in place and began to spin in a quick circle allowing the kunai to release from her hands and hang from several chakra strings attached to her fingers.(Tekko Tsumujikaze)

Each of the blades sliced their way through the manged flesh of the corpses almost causing them to explode into shrapnel of body parts. As soon as the spinning motion stopped Yuzuki jumped into the air leaving only the explosive tag she had prepared earlier in her previous spot.

Yuzuki landed and rolled onto the muddy shore just as the large explosion of her tag rocked the night air of the swamp. Quickly re-sheathing her tools Yuzuki turned and watched the fire die down in the wake of the massive explosion which had seemed to burn away a small natural gas vent somewhere near her previous position.

Yuzuki tried to catch her breath as she was still unsure about what had just happened. Even the ease at which she found dispatching the corpse monsters was she had the eerie feeling that she was going to have to fight a lot more as time passed. Of course the good news was now Yuzuki was completely awake and her adrenal gland was going to keep her that way for the rest of the night.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:08 am

Yuzuki turned back towards her makeshift campsite and wondered if there was still some of the corpses close to her original location. Trying to swallow her fear Yuzuki slowly made her way back to her campsite. Her eyes shifting side to side in attempts to search out any remaining monsters before they had a chance to catch her off guard a second time.

After making it back to her camp site Yuzuki quickly packed her things and got her pack ready to move. She made no waist of time as she began on a quick path to the south. If the tribes there had something to do with the attacks then she would get to the bottom of it before they had a chance to send another ghoulish team after her while she slept.

Bounding over trees and small alcoves Yuzuki spent the hours until dawn constantly looking behind her as she traveled . The sheer amount of fear that those monsters had placed in her mind was amazing to say the least. She could not seem to come up with an explanation that made since and this of course sparked her instinctual fear of things she did not understand.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:58 am

As the sun began to rise once again over the swamp Yuzuki continued watching her back, she was not entirely sure that the monsters she had encountered the night before were nocturnal and they seemed to be smart enough to set up an ambush. That though did not help the fear that Yuzuki already had coursing though her veins that she was going to be ambushed and killed by what appeared to be the rotten remains of people that had died some time ago.

Getting close to the southern edge of the swamp Yuzuki stopped for a moment to glance once over her left shoulder and then she began to scan the horizon. There was a large trail of smoke coming from her south east. It was much to large to be a campfire or even several campfires and it screamed interest as Yuzuki pondered what the source of it was.

Taking another look over her shoulder Yuzuki had a chill run down her spine. She had become so obsessed with the idea of a monster creeping up on her in the swamp that she vowed that once she was done with this mission she would find every possible way to stay out of this god forsaken place. Still she had to at least complete her mission. If she managed to get every last black skeleton in the swamp into a tar pit should could claim success in her mission without having to deal with whatever those things were that attacker her the night before.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:58 am

Making her way towards the smoke in the distance Yuzuki rushed to keep herself from being flanked by an imaginary monster that had been stalking her in her imagination for quite some time now. Her strongest wish is that this monster stays in her imagination and does not cross into the realm of real. Every so often Yuzuki would remind herself that she had to stay focused on the mission but her mind kept drifting into a disillusion causing her to feel a chilly shake shoot up her spine.

Coming within visual range of the source of the smoke Yuzuki stopped for a moment and gazed onward into what looked like the remains of a makeshift village that had been completely destroyed by an unknown source. The buildings looked trashed and burnt to the ground, but they had been out for a while. There was already vegetation growing around the buildings showing that they have not been touched in a long time. The source of the smoke seemed to be a natural gas geyser that was belching out flames near the destroyed village. It was possible that the natural gas has been burning since the village was attacked.

Yuzuki waited for a few minutes, occasionally glancing off behind her, before leaping forward and landing inside the burned village. Taking a look around Yuzuki tried to figure out what exactly happened to the people that once were in the village. Giving the village a thorough search turned up a frightful truth of this village. Nothing of value had been taken from the village and from several small slashed and large breaks in the doors and walls of the belongings it was obvious these people were attacked by something that used weapons. Not unlike the sword and ax that two of the creatures used in attacking her.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:23 am

Continuing her search Yuzuki become more concerned not with what attacked these people, but where the bodies of the wounded and dead were taken. There were no signs of people being dragged off. Of course this long after they had been attacked most of the tracks had been destroyed by rain and ware on the original evidence left by the people that attacked this group. By the look of it these people made up a traveling group of people. Their tents and materials matched a nomadic lifestyle completely.

Yuzuki stood stupefied by her lack of tracking. Something she was not very good at, even for a genin she lacked the ability to trace the happenings of an area after more then a few heavy rains. Of course she couldn't be too hard on herself. She managed to find out just enough to start speculating on just who attacked this group. She was hoping it was the three friendly monsters she had already send to the bottom of the swamp in several pieces. At least that was her hope.

Turning her head to survey the area around her Yuzuki's heart almost stopped as her eyes set themselves on a direct link with what seemed to be a dead body. This one leaned up against a tree slightly out of the camp. After a few tense seconds Yuzuki slowly calmed herself, it would seem this body was not moving. Perhaps this body was just a dead person instead of a monster trying to cut her in half.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:57 am

Slowly and carefully Yuzuki made her way to the corpse, each step carefully making sure she did not make a sound. After all if this was one of the monsters she did not want to wake it up from its morning nap. The last few she had fought were surprisingly quick and she did not want to have to deal with a close range attack from something she could have avoided. Still this one seemed to be slightly different then the others. This one looked like it had died only a few days ago and it was not carrying a large weapon. That made this one less dangerous, but Yuzuki was quick to label it as the same as the Corpse that had been used to try and hold her in place while the others tried to chop her into small bits.

Finally getting to the body Yuzuki examined it from an arms reach. It had bled out from the look of the poor man's clothing. It was covered in dried blood and had a large slash in the lower torso. It seemed different then the monsters she had fought in many ways. Still it seemed like an awkward position for a person to die. The corpse was propped against a tree with no sign of being dragged to that position. It would seem that the man just leaned against the tree and died without putting up a fight or even trying to escape.

Yuzuki's head snapped to the side as she heard a small stick break in the distance. Sometime was making its way through the woods and it would seem like it wasn't trying to hide itself. Quickly Yuzuki sprang behind a tree and hid herself as best she could. As the sounds of something moving threw the brush around the swamp got closer and closer Yuzuki peered her head around the trees and out of the brush towards the corpse came two men heading directly towards the corpse.

“That's the last one.”

One of the men spoke as the other lowered himself and picked up the body, throwing it over his body like it was some form of luggage.

“Now let's get out of here, Gorou mentioned there was someone snooping around last night.”

The men nodded to themselves as they started returning into the woods from where they came from. Yuzuki stared wide eyed as the men began to walk away, this was her opportunity to find out exactly what was going on. It looked like she may have found a way to get the ball back in her court.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: You do not sink in black water.

PostPosted by Yukikitsune » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:21 am

Yuzuki did her best to trail the men from a distance as they traversed the swampy environment. It was a difficult task to perform with how quickly the men made their way through the underbrush and foliage. They obviously had more experience traveling this environment then she did. They also were moving fairly loudly, this meant they were not trained as a ninja. Perhaps this Gorou person they mentioned was behind the horrifying attack on her last night. That of course assumes that she was the snooper in the man's description.

For almost an hour she stalked the men until they disappeared into a group of thick trees that opened up into a small camp of several tribal individuals who had used the area as a camp. In the center of town there was a large tent and many of the people were out and about. This was the first chance for Yuzuki to get a grasp on the small tribe of people that had apparently been hording bodies. Yuzuki hoped that they would simply give the body final resting rights out of respect for a nearby villager who fell in a brutal attack caused by someone else but it appeared she was out of luck.

The village wasn't large but it was quite impressive coming from a defensive point of view. The trees were cut several yards away from the nearest buildings and there was not a single safe path to get into the town using stealth. It looks like she was going to have to figure another way to get in unnoticed. Several of the men were walking around the edge of the town watching the woods at all times. The two men carrying the body seemed to check in with them as they entered the village before they continued to the large tent in the center of the village.

This made things very tough. They had things set up to be incredibly hard to infiltrate. Yuzuki sat puzzled for a bit before finding the option of continuing to observe the more suitable option for the time being. She was more then confident she could use the cover of dark to make her way into the town to do some snooping. She was less comfortable trying to make it in during the broad daylight hours. Perhaps if she acted with restraint she would have the chance to find out what exactly was going on in the town.
Yukikitsune
Member
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Next

Return to Rails, Roadways, and Waterways

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron