The Emperor walks his grounds (open)

At the heart of the great Snow Village sits Hyouden Castle, a great fortress chosen to be the Yukikage's fortress. Archeologists discovered its ruins almost by accident while the construction of the new ninja village was already underway. Reconstruction was approved by the Emperor for use by the Yukikage, and now the refurnished building stands as a testament to the marvels of old and new engineering combined in its architecture.Kage: Kuroudo Hyuuga - Kiyoshi

The Emperor walks his grounds (open)

PostPosted by Tomoushii » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Tomo closed his door quietly and locked the door, he had already decided to close up his room and study for the first time since his coronation and actually spend the whole day outside his quarters walking the grounds of the palace. This decision came after several days of official boredom. There had been a rather nasty political argument over the remodeling of one of the wings to the palace where two courtiers actually took four hours to debate the colors of the royal curtains. The shades of blue had a particular significance to these two gentlemen that frankly made Tomo sick to his stomach, even for someone who was used to traditions and formalities, this was about as tolerable as glass shards being rubbed directly on your eyeball.

Tomo needed to escape, and this was also a way to avoid any surprise visits from anyone unexpected, that was his plan at least.

He was about to walk through the corridor exit when who should happen to turn the corner but,

"Remember in everything you do have fun."

Tomoushii
Village Moderator
Village Moderator

Re: The Emperor walks his grounds

PostPosted by Raika » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm

OOC: I'm assuming it's open, Tomo, since you didn't point to anything otherwise. ;3

IC: Spiky brown hair, uncommonly emotionless brown eyes. Strong, leanly-muscled, lithe figure. His body structure and coloration could belong to anyone, but to someone who had seen more than one of his clan, it could mark the boy as a Hofushi.

His white leather jacket was open to reveal the black muscle-shirt and angled leather strap beneath. His legs were covered by black pants, his feet by black boots. On his right hip rested a sheathed dagger, but this was not what could make him stand out to any in Yuki. On his back he carried a large quiver and a long bow, an archer. Yuki's newest Archer of Fire.

And beside him padded a black wolf who's shoulder was roughly the height of the six-foot boy's waist.

Kaki's eyes were carefully guarded as he walked through the halls towards the Emperor's office... or at least, he thought this was the right way... the castle's hallways were like a maze, and this was his first time here. It would be his first time meeting the man that led this arctic country.

Tomoushii-dono, an old friend of Raika-dono... or, at least that's what she had said when she mentioned him on one of her story-telling days in Yamaokugakure no Sato, clan village of the Hofushi.

...she wouldn't be telling those stories again. Ever.

She wouldn't be returning to Yamaoku.

Kaki clenched his jaw, his hands slipping into his pockets. He relaxed ever so slightly when Yami, his nin-wolf, gently nudged him in the hip.

The news had reached Nadare first, oddly enough. And then someone had to be picked to report the news to the Emperor... Kaki had been the first to volunteer. And had received enough of a talk from Mizu-chan to calm him down, for the most part.

The icy fields the human and wolf had traversed had done the rest.

But his thoughts consumed the usually cheerful teen, and it was only by Yami catching his pant leg in his fangs that kept the archer from bumping into the man he was looking for and ending up with a face full of... hat. Tomoushii-dono was shorter than he imagined.

Quickly Kaki took a step back and put his fist in an open palm, the shinobi salute, bowing a bit. "Emperor... I am Kaki Hofushi, Fire Archer, and this is my nin-wolf, Yamiyo."

The nin-wolf nodded to Tomo as Kaki paused.

He had to keep focused. Calm. Like water? He was fire, water was Mizu-chan's thing. Kaki rose back to his full height, still careful to attempt to show no emotion, but flickers of indecipherable feelings flickered in the boy's eyes as he spoke with an usually formal tone.

"I have brought news of Kumogakure no Sato... More specifically... of Raika-dono."
(Kudos to Arzur for making the pic! ;D )
Raika
Silver Dragon of Kumogakure

Re: The Emperor walks his grounds (open)

PostPosted by Tomoushii » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Tomo looked up at the strange person and rolled his eyes at first, this was just the sort of thing he was wishing to avoid. But then the person said they were Hofushi... Raika?

Tomo looked closer at the man, and turned away for a moment, then looked directly in his eyes.

"Yes, yes i see it right there." Tomo said with a musing casual smile, "Come here my good man and walk the grounds with me."

Tomo made sure to give proper respects to the honorable ninja-wolf.

"If you don't mind me saying so before you deliver this news, how much you remind me of someone I knew, the glint of fire and emotional turmoil is written in your eyes." Tomo went solemn with memories of his dead ox summon, "What news is there from the wonderful Hofushi Clan?"

Tomoushii
Village Moderator
Village Moderator

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 pm

Kaki stood silent as Tomoushii-dono looked at him closely, looked away, then met his gaze.

"Yes, yes i see it right there."

Clan resemblance was what the Emperor had been looking for, apparently.

"Come here my good man and walk the grounds with me."

The genin oblidged and fell into step beside his superior, with Yami padding on Kaki's other side.

"If you don't mind me saying so before you deliver this news, how much you remind me of someone I knew, the glint of fire and emotional turmoil is written in your eyes."

Emotional turmoil, huh...? Only at a time like this would that be true... There was a foreign sadness and mourning clouding the boy's thoughts...

"What news is there from the wonderful Hofushi Clan?"

...and the three walked in silence for a long time before Kaki finally spoke.

"Early this morning, a courier nin arrived in Nadare after a long journey that included a storm on the sea that had put him a full week behind schedule... He was exhausted beyond belief, and so he told his story and mentioned the contents of his message. What he said... struck me. I volunteered to finish the delivery to you, Tomoushii-dono... it was sent eight days ago by a shinobi within Kumo, likely another of your old friends from your years there."

Another long silence.

This time, it was the nin-wolf who spoke up, continuing Kaki's tale in fluent human language, "We are the bearers of bad news, Tomoushii-dono. Forgive us... Kaki, if you don't tell him, then I must."

Kaki touched the top of his lupine partner's head and stopped, brown eyes meeting the Emperor's, a sudden flame within forcing the words from his mouth. "Raika-dono died ten days ago in battle. Her funeral was three days ago."
Raika

PostPosted by Tomoushii » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 pm

He stopped and took in the news, it hadn't been so long since death had been so cruel to him.

"Uh..." Tomo didn't care about holding back the tears that were forming as he tried to think clearly about the questions he had about it, "Well I guess I'd like to know how it happened."

The Emperor's tears were literally falling in several streams down his face as he stood there with the images of the beautiful friend he had just lost passing over him with the knowledge that there were no new memories to be had.

This sadness he had only felt once before, when he had lost his close familiar Taru, and the eyes of Taru haunted him in this ninja while he was hearing the news of Raika's death.

Tomo couldn't help but feel that death was out to make Tomo feel like the lowest person around.

Tomoushii
Village Moderator
Village Moderator

PostPosted by Raika » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 pm

"Well I guess I'd like to know how it happened."

Kaki was startled by the fact that Tomoushii-dono was allowing his tears to fall... and the boy was unsteady for a moment as his own feeling of mourning for his cousin welled back up within him, with only Yami pressing his head against his human partner's palm keeping the genin from sinking to the ground. Raika-dono had been the inspiration for him to leave the clan village... that final push that helped his adventurous spirit along... The two were tied by blood, but maybe her death had a harder impact on Tomoushii-dono. The boy didn't know.

"The details were included along with the message... There was an incident of various units patrolling the Southern Forests being taken down, and it was believed to be a plague, so Raika-dono was sent in to evaluate the situation... but it apparently wasn't a plague at all, and she clashed with Ryuuchi Sasaki, an S-rank of Oto, who, according to Oto's government, was acting of his own will... and it ended in her death, apparently by some use of demonic chakra according to the residue on her corpse. But the rest of the event is nearly impossible to determine... from the reports of destruction in the trees, I have no doubt that she summoned the Ryu no Kami, the king of the Hofushi Dragon Tribe, but that's all I know about what happened in the battle itself... her body was discovered shortly afterwards by Fei Long and Omoi Ryuujin, both friends of Raika-dono, but they were too late to do anything by the time they arrived and she was already..." Kaki fell silent, clenching his first as his jaw clenched. She had not been close blood, but she was blood all the same. Brown eyes closed and the nin-wolf sat next to the boy, leaning his head against a clenched fist in an attempt to comfort his partner.
Raika

PostPosted by Tomoushii » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:35 pm

"Fei was there?" Tomoushii said loudly and agitated, for the first time in his life The Great Ox Sage wasn't playfully raising his voice. The anger rising out of him was fierce and he wanted to cast it out at the rest of the world, just so he could flog himself with the mistake he was now beginning to regret ever leaving Kumo. Tomo was on the verge of losing his temper, but suddenly his head cleared, and the image of his trusted ox laying dead before him faded in the rain of his tears.

"Ughm excuse me Kaki, I must apologize," Tomo led them to a library foyer, "I don't mean to be overly emotional, its just Raika was close to me, such a close friend that it is hard to imagine her soul gone from this world forever."

Tomo couldn't look Kaki in the face, he was still haunted by the flames he saw there.

"I need to thank you for coming to see me," Tomo finally composed himself, "It seems that plans to see Raika's grave have to be made, but before my procession gets there I need to see the grave myself; privately. Usually I would avoid such a formal request given these circumstances but it would be my honor to pay expenses and travel with any Hofushi that desires to grieve as well. Including yourself of course."

Tomoushii
Village Moderator
Village Moderator

PostPosted by Raika » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:30 pm

The Emperor's sudden shout had Kaki instinctively reaching for his dagger, Shikon, where it rested at his waist, and both boy and wolf tensed... But then Tomoushii-dono seemed to calm and lead the two into a library. Kaki's hand fell back to his side.

"Ughm excuse me Kaki, I must apologize. I don't mean to be overly emotional, its just Raika was close to me, such a close friend that it is hard to imagine her soul gone from this world forever."

The Emperor was avoiding even looking at Kaki's face, while Kaki was still very much alert from his superior's outburst... but, suddenly, he remembered his own anger and pain upon receiving the news, and the genin slowly relaxed his guard.

"I need to thank you for coming to see me. It seems that plans to see Raika's grave have to be made, but before my procession gets there I need to see the grave myself; privately. Usually I would avoid such a formal request given these circumstances but it would be my honor to pay expenses and travel with any Hofushi that desires to grieve as well. Including yourself of course."

There was a pause as Kaki simply stared at Tomoushii-dono, the offer registering rather slowly in his mind... and then the boy swallowed and once again performed the shinobi salute before bowing yet again. "I... It would be an honor. I didn't expect to be able to go anytime soon... but... Thank you, Tomoushii-dono."

Yami's ears were perked and his tail wagged. This came as a pleasant surprise to both of them, even if it was for such a sad occassion...
Raika

PostPosted by Tomoushii » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 pm

"You are unique my boy, more so than you realize..." Tomo said with a smile, he found the tea bar that had now been a customary feature in rooms that the emperor frequented. "I am sure you have noticed a few things about me through our short time together. I'm sure you already know that I was once a very happy citizen of the Cloud Village."

Tomo poured some water and set in in a kettle to boil, "You like most probably wonder why I left, and how I can bear being here and not there. Am I wrong?"

Tomo went to preparing them a nice tea with some prepared pastries from a scroll he had taken out. Tea was the only thing that could keep Tomo calm now, from getting worked up again; from showing his frustrations that he had with his own choices.

Tomoushii
Village Moderator
Village Moderator

PostPosted by Raika » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:38 pm

"You are unique my boy, more so than you realize..."

Kaki straightened, brown eyes following Tomoushii-dono's movements about the room... it seemed that the time of emotional turmoil had passed for the moment, but that didn't mean it was gone. In the meantime, Kaki was still rather rigid... and who knew whether or not his superior would be able to bring Kaki's true, warm personality out from this state.

"I am sure you have noticed a few things about me through our short time together. I'm sure you already know that I was once a very happy citizen of the Cloud Village."

Kaki simply nodded in recognition.

"You like most probably wonder why I left, and how I can bear being here and not there. Am I wrong?"

There was a pause as the Emperor prepared tea, with Kaki watching the man quietly... Then, "I haven't thought about it... Yami and I left our original home just a few months ago. Yamaokugakure no Sato. My clan's village." Another pause. "Then again, I wanted to get out and see the world, so we might not relate as much. R... She said that you'd travelled around the world before coming here, when she mentioned you to the younger Hofushi, me included... A great man who wielded gravity and befriended oxen... She said you were like an older brother to her, even if you went to lead another village." Kaki fell silent, looking off towards the books and through them, as if they weren't even there... Raika-dono had always told stories to the young ones after enough badgering and pleading when she came to Yamaoku alone, and she'd always taken it in good humor, with smiles all around...
Raika

PostPosted by Tomoushii » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Tomo heard the mention of Raika thinking of him as a brother, a happy tear came to his eye as he for some reason thought of one of the times she had taken him flying. Tomo couldn't help thinking that if there was anyone he would have picked as an addition to the family it would have been her.

"Raika was indeed a soul sister, I can not remember a single time I wasn't happy to see her." Tomo said with a grin, "It is too sad to think of what might have been."

Tomo turned and took the kettle off the stove; preparing their little brunch of sorts.

"Well Kaki," the emperor brought the trays in front of them to a table in the little tea place, "If you like stories I have a few myself. You are welcome to come here as often as you like. That is if you can tolerate my story telling."

Tomoushii had to laugh at himself, he was a historian and saw himself as a rather dry person. On top of this he didn't consider himself old enough to be the pegged as a story teller. Either way he felt a bit awkward about making this offer, but he hid that awkwardness behind a smile. Furthermore he hadn't gotten to the actual reason that he was glad to see Kaki in the palace, but with the situation as it was; business was far from polite or good tea conversation.

Tomoushii
Village Moderator
Village Moderator

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:50 pm

"Raika was indeed a soul sister, I can not remember a single time I wasn't happy to see her. It is too sad to think of what might have been."

Kaki relaxed a little at the sight of Tomoushii-dono's grin, feeling the tension ease a bit...

"Well Kaki, if you like stories I have a few myself. You are welcome to come here as often as you like. That is if you can tolerate my story telling."

The Emperor was carrying a couple of trays to set them on a small table, and Kaki finally moved away from the entrance to join his superior, walking slowly with Yami still padding beside him... and, finally, Kaki managed to crack a smile, his brown eyes showing a spark of playful warmth. "You can't be any worse than the old geezers back home." The boy waited to seat himself until Tomoushii-dono had done so, his slight smile remaining as the shell of grief bared its first cracks... Yami, meanwhile, curled up comfortably on the floor beside his human partner, ears pricked as his head rested on his paws.
Raika

PostPosted by Tomoushii » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:34 pm

"Well here's one for you," Tomo spoke now in between long sips of tea, "It actually seems fitting given the time and circumstances, and is not the longest of any of my stories."

Tomo set down his glass for a moment and started using his hands to set the setting, "I don't think I've introduced you to my ox team, but the three oxen I summon now aren't my original trio. One of them is a newer addition to my ox-team."

Tomo had to sip some tea and recollect himself before talking about this. "Ginmooru is a replacement, for the second ox that I ever summoned; Taru the Ox of Rage. Coincidentally what reminded me most of this story was that you and he are actually very similar. His natural element was Fire, and he wore a great big yoke that had three large chalices on it. Those chalices had a constant fire that came from Taru's very soul. His emotions stoked the flames, so when he was sad there was only small flames that looked like candles. When Taru's temper flared, which happened a lot; those flames would shoot up higher than this ceiling. But the enduring fact about Taru's personality was that he was loyal to the core, there was never any hesitation in him to do what needed to be done. If you had to ask him to do something; it was because he was already busy doing what you never had to ask him to do. Good ol' Taru."

Tomo sipped his tea and continued, "One day I was challenged by a young kid, not a year out of the academy. He wanted to spar with me so he could talk to me about taking him on as a pupil, so we had ourselves a little duel. I started out that match confident that this kid would be a quick and painless bout. His name was Nikku Arare; and he was actually going to give me a lesson that I could never return. The fight was actually interesting, the boy nikku was fast and could think on his feet like you wouldn't believe. At this point I had already mastered gravity and summoning arts, so I naturally threw the gauntlet at him."

Tomo got up and showed his sturdy oak stance, "We were toe to toe and I think that boy had used every jutsu in his arsenal to try and avoid me. He stood his ground, and for being a child that only had the public ninja academy training it impressed me. Needless to say the battle required me to use the combinations that I had developed with the yokes of my oxen, so summoning them and using them in battle is what started the lesson."

"Taru and I made a formidable pair," Tomo continued, "I used to create vacuums of air with my gravity that made his fires grow into massive fire balls. It was a sight to see actually. I rode taru for the last half of the match chasing the boy through the forest that we were slowly burning down. When I saw the fires were getting out of hand I got off and started a taijutsu sequence to put the flames out. Problem was that the jutsu I had made myself to both put out the fires and win the match had thrust a tree into the air right over me. To let you in on a little secret, gravity users don't like things directly over their heads. Taru pushed me aside and ended up with a tree brach stuck through him like he were a skewered piece of meat. I got back to him only after it was too late."

"You know what I learned from that my dear Kaki?" Tomo said with a rhetorical tone, "I learned that I can't do everything; that I can be doing the right thing and still end up not being able to protect everyone in the world. What might have been if I had protected Taru by doing another justu or by paying attention to my surroundings is not worth dwelling on while there are those around me I can still help. Raika was one of the people that was at Taru's funeral, and she helped me get that focus. Fitting that another Hofushii that reminds me of Taru would give me the same focus now."

Tomo looked at the nin-wolf Yamiyo and in a rare moment of memory, "You know now that I think of it, that funeral was the first time I think Raika showed me her wolf transformation."

Tomoushii
Village Moderator
Village Moderator

PostPosted by Raika » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Kaki listened in relative silence as he nibbled on a pastry, a hint of curiousity in his brown eyes as Tomoushii-dono showed him a taijutsu stance... but the description of Taru's death sent a cold chill running through his spine, and almost by instinct he reached for Yami, the wolf's head already raised to meet his palm. If either of them died because of the other's recklessness...

"You know what I learned from that my dear Kaki? I learned that I can't do everything; that I can be doing the right thing and still end up not being able to protect everyone in the world. What might have been if I had protected Taru by doing another justu or by paying attention to my surroundings is not worth dwelling on while there are those around me I can still help. Raika was one of the people that was at Taru's funeral, and she helped me get that focus. Fitting that another Hofushii that reminds me of Taru would give me the same focus now."

Kaki bit into his pastry, the brief pat on Yami's head having calmed him down a bit, along with the Emperor's words... and then the man looked to Yami, and the wolf met Tomoushii-dono's gaze.

"You know now that I think of it, that funeral was the first time I think Raika showed me her wolf transformation."

Fangs were revealed as Yami smiled, his tail wagging a bit at the memory of seeing Raika as a wolf. "Her Henge no Jutsu. One of her favorite transformations as a large, white, brown-eyed she-wolf... Sometimes she went around Yamaoku like that with some friend on her back."

Kaki grinned at the memory. "Maybe I should try something like that, eh, Yami?"

The nin-wolf simply laughed, grinning up at his human partner.
Raika

PostPosted by Tomoushii » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:58 pm

"No doubt it would be useful for a Yuki Archer to acquire such knowledge, I'd encourage you to pursue any ninja art that is in your capability to learn," Tomo sipped some tea, "There is the new presence of invaders that requires we make the best of ourselves so that we are ready for anything."

Tomo set his finished glass down and rubbed his chin, hesitating for a moment trying to decide if this would be the right moment to come to the business he wanted to discuss. Deciding that he had to come to it eventually, he decided there was no need to make light conversation trying to beat around the bush.

"Well Kaki I have to finally be the Emperor of Yuki for a brief moment in this conversation. The Archers reforming seems to have been a needed and maybe even late development given the latest intelligence we have on the goals of these invaders. And I can't stress enough how much I don't want to put any unnecessary pressures on you personally during this time of grieving; for both of our sakes. But Yuki needs core leadership that it can count on, field tested and veteran ninjas that can lead our ranks into battle. I need a single person appointed from your group to represent the Archers in my court. I understand that democracy rules in the Archer's organization, so I will not interfere in the politics therein. As emperor however I feel it would be indecisive of me not to recommend your name as candidate. What do you think?"

Tomoushii
Village Moderator
Village Moderator

Next

Return to ::- Hyouden Castle -::